Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Two junkies / zombies on the north quays this morning. Wandering up the middle of the bus lane against traffic at the four courts. "Ah jaysus buuuuuuud!"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cyclists down at O'Connell bridge, looks like she slid on the tracks, might of hit her head off the high kerb, why is there a kerb there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Cyclists down at O'Connell bridge, looks like she slid on the tracks, might of hit her head off the high kerb, why is there a kerb there ?

There was a bad shower around two. That makes those bloody tracks lethal.

Thunder and hailstones round our way. Glad I got out this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

There was a bad shower around two. That makes those bloody tracks lethal.

Yrah probably around 230 it happened

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Came across a car on its side just before Castleknock College this morning. Driver was out and being assisted - looked dazed but uninjured. Saw a cereal bowl beside the car on the ground and wondered if this was a factor in this incident....bit worrying that someone on my commute on a narrow country road could be enjoying a bowl of cornflakes coming against me.....

There was an entire episode of Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia built around that gag that driving and eating cereal is basically fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Weepsie wrote: »
    There was an entire episode of Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia built around that gag that driving and eating cereal is basically fine

qenL6vH.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

2 incidents* in the last few weeks:
    A few weeks back our group was heading into Skerries from Balbriggan and a Dublin Bus pulls out from an estate and needs both sides of the road to make the turn. He couldnt have not seen us but starts to make the turn regardless. The whole group had to brake heavily to prevent us form a collison.

This morning on the road from Rolestown to St. Margarets , we were a decent sized group, a Merc C class decides to try and overtake us on a blind section of the road. They realise halfway through the group it was a bad move...slows down and then decides to go again however now there is a car coming in the other direction. They just about got through but will millimeters to spare. A head on collision with the potential to wipe out the group was a very real possibilty.

*incidents that especially stand out in the moronic driving thats witnessed on a daily basis

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

So this morning on my commute I had the same cyclist try to take me out of it twice:

1. Decides to move out of the bike lane to over take someone, problem is I am sitting bank in the middle of the bus lane - does shoulder check as they are pull out into the center! Reckon was chasing a strava segment on the north strand up the canal bridge. Just put on the brakes and tuck in behind

2. Coming up to a junction where the left lane filter is has not turned green and is blocked with other cyclists & cars, this cyclist decides to swing out into the 2nd lane of traffic where I am already, once again without a shoulder check. This time I let a roar out of me ....

Its bad when other cyclist are trying to take you out of it as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

So this morning I had the same cyclist try to take me out of it twice:

1. Decides to move out of the bike lane to over take someone, problem is I am sitting bank in the middle of the bus lane - does shoulder check as they are pull out into the center! Reckon was chasing a strava segment on the north strand up the canal bridge. Just put on the brakes and tuck in behind

Its bad when other cyclist are trying to take you out of it as well :)

It's easy spot the lads who are trying to beat a PR on a strava segment. Usually have the tongue out and the foot down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

red Jeep was too far over to the left and right up to the line so i decided safest place was behind the avensis and pass on the left as he was going straight.
    had a feeling they might change their mind and realise they were going left at some point but no indicators, even after the lights went green. they werent following the line of the red jeep so i thought they were definitely going straight so as the gap opened i started to move in.

as you can, i started to accelrate at the exact same time the indicators came on and i missed the first flash but stopped quick enough. not sure if car ever saw me at all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

site_owner wrote: »
    red Jeep was too far over to the left and right up to the line so i decided safest place was behind the avensis and pass on the left as he was going straight.
    had a feeling they might change their mind and realise they were going left at some point but no indicators, even after the lights went green. they werent following the line of the red jeep so i thought they were definitely going straight so as the gap opened i started to move in.

as you can, i started to accelrate at the exact same time the indicators came on and i missed the first flash but stopped quick enough. not sure if car ever saw me at all.

Fuel door open. No indicator, and pulling into the Marine Hotel... definitely didn't see you, or perhaps anything else on their journey there.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

site_owner wrote:

It appears that you have a flashing front light. Any driver who would fail to see one can't be paying much attention to their surroundings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Why would accelerate to undertake a car at a junction? While the car should have been indicating, you put yourself at unnecessary risk.
    site_owner wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Why would accelerate to undertake a car at a junction? While the car should have been indicating, you put yourself at unnecessary risk.

accelerating from a standing start I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

well, i have to pass him at some point [if he's going straight into slow chicane and I'm going left]. its a lane that splits in three without any markings.
    as a balance of safety, i'm trying to obtain some advantage by getting away from the car behind before they accelerate. if you dont cycle around here, you might not be familiar with the bunch of narrow roads that tends to get cars taking a lot of risks over taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

he never actually passed the rear bumper of the car throughout. his position was fine until the driver slowed for the turn which he hadn't bothered indicating for.
    when the car made the unexpected turn the cyclist was able to quickly get himself out of harms way.

so it was the driver who put site_owner at unnecessary risk by not bothering to indicate in advance of making the turn or check his mirrors as per his obligations under the ROTR, while at a junction that is usually very busy for cyclists, and the only one who then did anything to reduce that risk was the cyclist.

it's amazing how often people seek an alternative explanation and to cast blame in the direction of the VRU / victim. this video is a really simple example of what a self-entitled driving culture looks like, sh1t junction design and driving without a care for anyone else on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Fuel door open. No indicator, and pulling into the Marine Hotel... definitely didn't see you, or perhaps anything else on their journey there.

11:15am on a Monday + pulling into the marine hotel = only thinking about the upcoming carvery

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Alexzont

Got a 'Gwan' with a slap on the arse this evening going up Cruagh road from a silver Golf.

Also saw a decapitated deer 30 seconds later, interesting evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Alexzont wrote: »
    Got a 'Gwan' with a slap on the arse this evening going up Cruagh road from a silver Golf.
    Did you get a reg number? If they tried it with you, they'll have tried it with others. If they keep trying in, they'll put someone in the ditch.

• Advertisement

Yeah that rings a bell with me with someone else posting here a while ago with similar behaviour in that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Alexzont

Did you get a reg number? If they tried it with you, they'll have tried it with others. If they keep trying in, they'll put someone in the ditch.

No unfortunately, just that it was a 08 WW. They disappeared around the bend before I had time to realize what the hell just happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Closest one for a while this morning. Old lad decided to overtake me on a corner with me on the inside. Luckily I was paying attention and jammed on the breaks in time to see him cut right across what would have been my path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I hadnt had many if any close passes in last few weeks. I have had 4 since yesterday. Two this morning one after the other in bus/bike lane where both cars shouldnt have been. I was also in primary position so you can imagine how close they were. Schools back by any chance? Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I hadnt had many if any close passes in last few weeks. I have had 4 since yesterday. Two this morning one after the other in bus/bike lane where both cars shouldnt have been. I was also in primary position so you can imagine how close they were. Schools back by amy chance? Meh

Yep. Schools are back but not for all students yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

Closed passed by a Garda car yesterday. Could see the driver clearly in the side mirror after he passed, he wasn't paying much attention to what was in front of him.

Naturally, it was on a shorter journey where I hadn't bother with the camera.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I hadnt had many if any close passes in last few weeks. I have had 4 since yesterday. Two this morning one after the other in bus/bike lane where both cars shouldnt have been. I was also in primary position so you can imagine how close they were. Schools back by any chance? Meh

Yeah schools are slowly starting back this week. I think Thursday will be the tipping point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Thought this would be the best place for it;

Garda Twitter

HGV ban lifted in the city centre so be careful on the way home folks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i came home over the eastlink, northbound. traffic wasn't *too* bad on approach from the south, but heavy going north from it; not a single garda to be seen directing traffic despite the jams. not sure if the HGVs already have instructions on the route to take in case the tunnel is closed, whether there's a preferred route to get to the M50 for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Apparently there is, don't know if it's common knowledge amongst drivers that's rolled out to them by their employers
    https://twitter.com/LiveDrive/status/1034806609384497152?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement