Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Long time since I've heard the term "woman driver"! Woman doctor, woman engineer…

Ah leave the faux outrage at the door pal.

Mod Warning: Attack the post not the poster. Any questions PM me do not respond in thread.
    nee

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

couple of close passes from over the weekend. had a bunch but these were 2 that got to me the most.

first driver totally panicked after passing me into oncoming traffic. they had to cut in heavily on me and then seemed to swerve around a bit, messing with indicators etc.

second one, two young lads in a car on a narrow road, approaching a bend with traffic coming towards us. i passed them a few seconds later.

and wanted to share this, roadworks on the malahide road, so got to enjoy skipping around 60 cars in the queue, and got waved thru by the flagman while cars still had to wait.

but its the cyclists who are holding everyone up on their weekend shopping trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

site_owner wrote: »
    so got to enjoy skipping around 60 cars in the queue, and got waved thru by the flagman while cars still had to wait.

Absolute bliss to watch :cool:

I can't wait for the schools to be back, when my commute will take the exact same amount of time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Punishment pass from earlier, suppose I may have annoyed this individual by going ahead of him at the lights. Tbh I didn't even think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Dreadful stuff there. Not too difficult to get the reg either.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

It drives me absolutely bonkers seeing entitled pricks way over every line in the junction like that to begin with. Do drivers really not notice all those painted lines all over the road at every junction?? When I'm walking I make sure to point out that ignorant behaviour to drivers blocking crossings and ASLs. I'd love to be ballsy enough to climb over the cars like you see in videos from other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Ferris wrote: »

Punishment pass from earlier, suppose I may have annoyed this individual by going ahead of him at the lights. Tbh I didn't even think about it.

The actual definition of a punishment pass, you can see him pull out in the lane after passing you. Report.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://www.rvf.ie/
    Tel: 01 651 0188

Or, give them a review on Google... https://goo.gl/maps/76Z86GYEN332

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

ED E wrote: »
    http://www.rvf.ie/
    Tel: 01 651 0188

Or, give them a review on Google... https://goo.gl/maps/76Z86GYEN332

It may be a 2nd hand van , they dont look like the company that drives 13 year old vans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

or a company which sells vans with their logos still on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

I'm sure if you emailed them at info@rvf.ie, they'd be delighted to clear up any confusion...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Not a near miss for this poor girl this morning. The two cyclists in the frame were turning right from the bridge, the cyclist in front turned far too acutely and crashed into her knocking her off the bike. She was able to get up and he stopped to help, but had there been traffic around it could have been really bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

not a near miss but saw a female cyclist at the side of the road near the children's hospital in crumlin, there was a fire truck in attendance and it looked like there was an ambulance on the way, they had her sitting up so hopefully nothing too serious.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I would've let the van off first there rather than race into position to be ahead of it. Don't know why you'd want a big van on yer ass going up that road. I know he was in the wrong location at the lights but still...

I'm not making excuses for the driver as that overtake was obviously too close.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I would've let the van off first there rather than race into position to be ahead of it. Don't know why you'd want a big van on yer ass going up that road. I know he was in the wrong location at the lights but still...

Same here, driver was completely wrong (parked on a ped crossing, dangerous overtaking, overtaking into oncoming traffic and so on) but overtaking on a turn just as the lights turn green would be dangerous driving in my opinion for the cyclist. Either hang behind the van at the junction or as your rolling up, if the lights change, let them go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

De Bhál wrote: »

Whoever is driving that van is a complete moron and a dangerous one to add. People who encroach their vehicles so far up like that, generally have no respect for cyclists, pedestrians or anyone else on the road.
    You did nothing wrong on the bike at all and his pass was a disgrace too. I tend to agree though, I think in that situation, I would have pulled up behind the van to save myself the hassle. You clearly shouldn't have to but a lot of these clowns can be read before they act the joker.

De Bhál wrote: »

CramCycle wrote: »
    Same here, driver was completely wrong (parked on a ped crossing, dangerous overtaking, overtaking into oncoming traffic and so on) but overtaking on a turn just as the lights turn green would be dangerous driving in my opinion for the cyclist. Either hang behind the van at the junction or as your rolling up, if the lights change, let them go ahead.

FWIW I agree, I could've held back, I just didn't think. However I was balancing when the light went green and made the turn well ahead of the van so he was clear behind me so I guess that this annoyed the driver.

FWIW I agree, I could've held back, I just didn't think. However I was balancing when the light went green and made the turn well ahead of the van so he was clear behind me so I guess that this annoyed the driver.

i don't know if we're watching the same video. you were in the vans blind spot even after the light went green and then cut in front of it when he didn't move off fast enough.

i don't know if we're watching the same video. you were in the vans blind spot even after the light went green and then cut in front of it when he didn't move off fast enough.

I've said that, upon reflection, I probably should have held back. I also said that I was clear in front of him through the junction. Other than that I am not sure of what else there is to it apart from the aggressive pass?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've said that, upon reflection, I probably should have held back. I also said that I was clear in front of him through the junction. Other than that I am not sure of what else there is to it apart from the aggressive pass?

People love to argue the little details tbh. It's not like you sat there for 10 minutes thinking about how to proceed, you moved quicker through the junction than the van (who was stopped practically in the middle of the junction to begin with ffs). Once you passed them that was the end of it, the van had to wait for a safe opportunity to overtake. They did not, and in fact pulled in closer to give you a scare by the looks of it.

That's about it. To be honest I got the camera over a month ago and have had no incidents in that time, such has been the quality of the driver behaviour on my commute. Maybe I have been lulled into a false sense of security - after all such events are the exception. However, I suspect that as we get closer to the start of the school year we all might have to keep our wits about us.

Also I have emailed the company who logo was on the van, no response as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

However, I suspect that as we get closer to the start of the school year we all might have to keep our wits about us.

I'd forgotten that it's nearly that time of the year :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

You made a mistake - something we're all capable of doing and probably do more regularly than we realize. What the guy driving the van did though was a completely over the top reaction, basically road rage. You should definitely report him to the guards, although with the expectation that they'll at most issue a caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The cyclist got clearly ahead of the van before the van started to move. He was nowhere near his blind spot, and if he was, the blind spot is the van driver's problem to fix.

Just an aggressive, bullying punishment pass - doubt if Gardai will do anything, but any half-decent employer should.

Just seeing that now and asking myself what I'd have done, I'd have likely rolled up and sat behind the van due to experience warning me I didn't want him behind me.

No judgement here on the OP the van was wrong 100% but as we often see mentioned here no point in being right and dead or badly injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Just seeing that now and asking myself what I'd have done, I'd have likely rolled up and sat behind the van due to experience warning me I didn't want him behind me

Agree, I stay behind the van in that scenario where he's already pushed up passed the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

My daughter had a near miss yesterday and the way home from creche. She started to scream at the bottom of Harcourt St because she doesn't like her helmet. She hadn't stopped by the time we got to Meath St and I very nearly left her on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The cyclist got clearly ahead of the van before the van started to move. He was nowhere near his blind spot, and if he was, the blind spot is the van driver's problem to fix.

Just an aggressive, bullying punishment pass - doubt if Gardai will do anything, but any half-decent employer should.

Actually a cyclist needs to be aware of the driver blind spot also and not just rely on the driver "to fix the blind spot".

Its statements like this that encourages cyclists to take silly risks but one should remember its the cyclist that will come out on the losing side.

Your not helping things with your statement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I'm thinking of getting getting a rear facing camera, like the Fly6[v] or equivalent. Do i need to download software to use these? I only have a work laptop, and i can't install anything on it.

I know with some CCTV etc you need to install specials players etc to view footage. What's the story with those cameras?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement