Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reservoir Dog Sportive 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Hope you’re ok Weepsie.
    The spin was great. The weather was warm but not too warm, although the flies were a nuisance on most of the climbs.
    My Garmin died after 107km so I had to record the rest on my phone - anyone know how to knit 2 strava files together??
    Did it around 30 minutes faster than last year, so delighted with that!

Well done to the organizers again as I really enjoyed it, and the beer and burger at the end were well appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Fantastic day out yet again. It has been my favourite spin since doing the first one and I've made it my business to do it every year to see how I'm doing. Went round 6 minutes slower than last year but can't complain at all considering I've had a poor enough year on the bike compared to then. As usual, the organisation was top notch, the burger and pint afterwards was delicious and the weather was near perfect. 2019 Dog, bring it on. https://www.strava.com/activities/1814387205

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Very good day out. Hard but not ridiculously hard. Found I was getting dropped a lot in the first half but caught a fair few people in the second half. All about the pacing.

Big thanks to the organisers for putting it on and also Doc07 here on boards for giving me a lift out. (Cycling home is ok, but cycling out as well would've sucked!).

And also, thanks to a group of four from Orwell for giving me a tow around the lakes, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

My 1st attempt at this cycle today - and must say I really enjoyed it.

I have only gotten 3 punctures in total over the last couple of years, but managed to pick up punctures in both tyres today - the front at 25km and then the rear at 50km. Going to have to pack 3 spare tubes from now on!
    Before the cycle I would have been happy with a finish time anywhere between 5 - 6 hours - 1/2 the route was new to me so was unsure what to expect.

Finished in 5:20 and very happy with that- and now i have a time to try beat for next year!
    The burger and beer at the end were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Really enjoyed the day. I did the Pup.. Hill one was a real struggle. The rest went well, but were still hard. The marshalls were great, food was spot on a the food stop and at the end it was very nice to grab a burger, beer and a goodie bag. We might try the Dog some weekend in prep for next year, but i'll be doing one of them for sure.

Well done to all.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

Done it today and enjoyed it, found it very hard though! 5:40 but struggled coming up military road, was on my own for all of it and wasnt pushing that hard! Well ran, 10/10, great goody bag, lovely medal, warm weather, it doesnt get much better! Hardest sportive i've done thats for sure! Will have to come back and better that time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭marvin42

My first Dog, found it quite tough and I'm really happy to have finished it. Thanks to all involved in organising this event, just hope that next time there's also food and goody bags for those arriving at water/food stops at the end of the que. This said, I really enjoyed burger and beer at the finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Here are some fantastic photos of the day taken by top photographer Derek Bennet.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133249831@N04/albums/72157700902084025

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

Well, thats the Reservoir Dog done and dusted for another year - even if I was slightly slower round the route compared to last time - but I didn't mind - the weather turned out great (okay, a wee bit windy now and again) and I spent a good bit of time looking around at the great views (which weren't shrouded in mist for a change). Thankfully no mechanicals or punctures - although I did see one fella pulled up along the side of the road about 15 metres outside the main gate already starting to deal with one. Seemed to be the biggest attendance to date - there were very few parts of the route where I wasn't either passing someone else (or being passed myself - mostly on the climbs!). A good variety of climbing and descents packed into the 125km route.

This has been one of my favourite sportives over the past 3 years and that still remains the case - a tough, rewarding day out on the bike. Many thanks to all the folks who are involved in organising and running this great event - it's much appreciated.

Until next time!

And some nice drone footage shot on the first half of the course. With Thanks to Gav's Aerials.

https://youtu.be/JjObJ5r2nwM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

I bailed at the halfway point. I underestimated how tough this would be, and overestimated my fitness level. I have loads of excuses - too tired, not enough climbing done, I'm too heavy for this sort of event, but it boils down to - not fit enough. That's fine, lesson learned, I still had a nice day, and Liam the broom wagon driver was a great and knowledgeable tour guide on the way back! I'm glad I didn't try to flog myself the rest of the way home though. There's not a chance I'd have made it up that long climb after the food stop. Fair play to all who finished it. I'd happily do the WW200 again before I'd try the Reservoir Dog!

Weepsie wrote: »
    Crashed on the n7 on my way over. Clipped a curb that I didn't realise was the cycle path.

Maybe next year

That's terrible news Weepsie. A real shame that your day was ruined like that. Glad that your injuries were not major though...these incidents can happen out of nowhere for even the most experirnced riders. Speedy recovery and we would love to see you next year.

Hope you’re ok Weepsie.
    The weather was warm but not too warm, although the flies were a nuisance on most of the climbs. 
    I didn't notice them at all on the earlier climbs, but after the foodstop on the way up Old Military Road towards Sally Gap where there was relatively little wind, the cheeky wee feckers were relentless and wasted no time in tracking down the slow, sweaty, CO2 magnet that I'd become :) I was watching my shadow on the ground in front of me and all I could see was a haze of insects all around my helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭marvin42

Just found out that i have to cycle today 16 k with my (unpadded) workcloth on my road bike, because i forgot to pack my proper gear. OUCH!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

great spin, no filler all nougat (which were delicious)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

2nd time doing this and still a great event that the Cogs can be proud of.

Was tougher than I remembered even though I'm fitter than I was for the 2016 edition and didn't have to do it on my steel tank this time and had the benefit of riding the whole route with a clubmate.

1st tough bit was the lunar surface on the roads before Kilbride Army Camp. Cunard was a slog but conditions were near ideal for it and was happy to go non stop to the top where I finally felt the benefit of my improved fitness by not being shattered.

Similarly I arrived at the food stop in better order than 2016 when I'd basically had to sit down as soon as I got off the bike.

The one blip in the organisation this year was that they ran out of fresh sandwiches but they had plenty of contingencies and I had to stop myself from overeating.

Fatigue in the back and sore feet started to set in on the climb back to the Gap and my descending was probably more confident than usual as a result.

Lake Drive continues to be a horror and that first drag saps all momentum so effectively that it should be studied for missile defence applications.

The last few km on the N81 I was screaming "just f@&king end" in my head.

Barbecue and beer at the end were magical.

The signage and Marshalling were excellent imho.

Chatting to two foreign lads at the end who'd never done a Sportive before and wanted to know were they all like this!!!

Great day...type 2 fun to the max

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Corker1 wrote: »
    That's terrible news Weepsie. A real shame that your day was ruined like that. Glad that your injuries were not major though...these incidents can happen out of nowhere for even the most experirnced riders. Speedy recovery and we would love to see you next year.

Hoping to do the route when the numerous cuts heal up. OH is insistent she drops me out though.

Definitely there next year, though I can only hope for the weather to be as good.

It was the most prepared I'd ever been for a cycle from sleeping well, to having clothes ready and bike all prepped, and food enough to feed a small peleton. Lsdt minute change of easier route and Sunday morning dazing cost me

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    great spin, no filler all nougat (which were delicious)
    I thought the nougat was tasty too - although a bit dry, had to chew a bit to get started - legs and jaws were both getting a workout yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

AxleAddict wrote: »
    I thought the nougat was tasty too - although a bit dry, had to chew a bit to get started - legs and jaws were bothing getting a workout yesterday :)

the trick is to leave it in yer back pocket for about 65k ;)

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    I thought the nougat was tasty too - although a bit dry, had to chew a bit to get started - legs and jaws were bothing getting a workout yesterday :)

the trick is to leave it in yer back pocket for about 65k ;)
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

Weepsie wrote: »
    Crashed on the n7 on my way over. Clipped a curb that I didn't realise was the cycle path.

Maybe next year

Was it on the outbound section of the N7 alongside the flyover at Newlands Cross?

https://goo.gl/maps/nVhQbYqU2KS2

buffalo wrote: »
    Was it on the outbound section of the N7 alongside the flyover at Newlands Cross?

https://goo.gl/maps/nVhQbYqU2KS2

Precisely there, or well just a few metres further down alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Glad to hear your on the mend Weepsie

Second year doing the Dog (oh missus) and it felt harder than last year probably due to the heat. Got up Cunard in one go so that was thanks to the super low gearing that kept me just below 100rpm for the climb, 46-30 on the front and 11-36 on the back offset the weight of the bike just about right. Great organisation as ever and hot dog and a beer (beautiful draught this year from Mont Breweries)
    Hoping to get a bigger gang over from the club next year and will try to get them to do the pup so as coach Ill probably do that route with them.
    Photos are a real treat too, many thanks to Derek

https://www.strava.com/activities/1814623171

Corker1 wrote: »
    Here are some fantastic photos of the day taken by top photographer Derek Bennet.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133249831@N04/albums/72157700902084025
    Top notch photos as per usual - especially those taken at Glenmacnass waterfall, looking out over the valley. Whilst I was sifting through them I spotted one or two photos of what looked like some sort of Viking longship - where was this located - don't recall seeing it on my way around the 125km route (and mind you I did spend a fair amount of time looking around me as I cycled along!)

Top notch photos as per usual - especially those taken at Glenmacnass waterfall, looking out over the valley. Whilst I was sifting through them I spotted one or two photos of what looked like some sort of Viking longship - where was this located - don't recall seeing it on my way around the 125km route (and mind you I did spend a fair amount of time looking around me as I cycled along!)

I'd presume near lough tay where Vikings is filmed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Best sportive of the year for me, as expected.
    Very tired and stressed out over last few weeks due to life stuff, so was actually considering not bothering. Glad I did it in the end. 4.43, minute quicker than previous year tho I didn't start my garmin early enough so lost a km or so. Same 26kmph avg speed. Happy enough with that, best part was laragh to the gap with Galego from boards, and his friend. We flew, smashed my best time up that stretch. Felt like proper race stuff for me! Died a little after the gap and took it easy from there on in, stuck with a guy (ex jockey) who was finding it tough on lake drive. As I live around there I know it well so stayed with him to help him get thru it.
    N81 stretch was great with a nice tailwind.
    The turn after the bridge at valleymount was missing marshals, that's the only complaint I have. I live right there so wasn't a problem for me, but my missus said plenty were going straight on instead of going left.
    Burger was great, beer was superb, a proper pint too! Nice people all day, great relaxed atmosphere. Only downer for me was at the foodstop I drank one of the vitamin sachets straight from the packet! Didn't realise it needed to be mixed with water! Was like drinking vinegar :P
    Hats off to the organisers again, and @Corker1, don't go for a longer route, its plenty tough even for strong cyclists. It aint broke, so don't fix it!

terrydel wrote: »

The turn after the bridge at valleymount was missing marshals, that's the only complaint I have. I live right there so wasn't a problem for me, but my missus said plenty were going straight on instead of going left.
    This being my 3rd time doing the sportive I was prepared for that left turn, but do distinctly remember several left turn markings on the road before the junction (albeit I think they were on the left hand side of the lane rather than in the centre) - can't recall if there was also a red arrow sign attached to a nearby signpost or not though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

This being my 3rd time doing the sportive I was prepared for that left turn, but do distinctly remember several left turn markings on the road before the junction (albeit I think they were on the left hand side of the lane rather than in the centre) - can't recall if there was also a red arrow sign attached to a nearby signpost or not though.
    I would so happily go straight but I did see an arrow and plenty of road markings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

, best part was laragh to the gap with Galego from boards, and his friend. We flew, smashed my best time up that stretch.
    I have that as one of my starred segments on Strava. My Garmin flashed up a name and the time set by a guy I follow and I looked at it and thought "ah here, fk that, there's no way I'm beating this Terry Del fella "
    So I haven't a hope in hell now of beating your better time :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I have that as one of my starred segments on Strava. My Garmin flashed up a name and the time set by a guy I follow and I looked at it and thought "ah here, fk that, there's no way I'm beating this Terry Del fella "
    So I haven't a hope in hell now of beating your better time :D:D

Haha, keep plugging away and you might!
    Feel free to follow me. What time did you manage?

Advertisement