Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reservoir Dog Sportive 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭Macy0161

secman wrote:
    Not feeling "the love " on here for the beautiful lake drive
    I'm sure it's a lovely drive...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ive purposely avoided it ever since the 2016 reservoir dog.
    Also got a gdpr email from yourselves today, gotta be compliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Macy0161 wrote:
    Worst feckin bit of the Reservoir Dog and the Orwell Randonee!

Lies.. the second pass up to the gap is the worst part of the randonee. Legs screaming by that point with nothing left in the tank. But would we have it any other way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

As if it wasn't tough enough, on my first attempt of the Reservoir Dog a couple of years back, I ended up unintentionally adding a few additional Km to my route by turning left going through Roundwood rather than continuing straight ahead - ended up following the road markings of another sportive for a while before realising that 'something was up' when I hadn't passed (or been passed by) another cyclist for some time - eventually re-joined the route at Laragh via Rathdrum, missing out the foodstop in the process! After the last water stop I thought I was on the home straight - 'thats all the climbing out of the way now' says I - but like others have pointed out, the section after Ballysmutten seems to sap any remaining energy you might have in the legs. I thought I'd be better prepared for that bit after doing the Dog for a second time last year (whilst not making the mistake of adding extra km's to my route this time around) but still found it tough going right 'til the end. Great day out though!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Here is the 2018 Event poster. With thanks to Lance Connolly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Best sportive the last 3 years next is the Pat Colgan, then Orwell Randonée ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

py wrote: »
    The killer is lake drive at the end, **** that piece of **** road. :mad:
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    Worst feckin bit of the Reservoir Dog and the Orwell Randonee!

You're singing WA's song. He takes on some of the toughest climbs in Europe in atrocious conditions but this is the one road he gives out about.

I think it depends on whether it comes at the start or near the finish of an event. The former can be quite enjoyable whereas the latter is inevitably "challenging". I have been forbidden from ever using the word "undulating" again after describing it as such near the end of a long spin!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Haven't been around lake drive in 27 days, 9 hours and 37 min. Just might head there in the morning 🎺🎻ðŸ¥ðŸŽ¶ðŸŽ¸ðŸŽ·ðŸ“¯ music ...pure music !

You're singing WA's song. He takes on some of the toughest climbs in Europe in atrocious conditions but this is the one road he gives out about.

I think it depends on whether it comes at the start or near the finish of an event. The former can be quite enjoyable whereas the latter is inevitably "challenging". I have been forbidden from ever using the word "undulating" again after describing it as such near the end of a long spin!

After the cumulative effects of the tough climbs earlier in the day, Lake Drive and that drag towards Tulfaris and Poulaphuca are certainly hard on the legs. It's also a bit of a head wrecker to have to pass Blessington Bridge heading for Lake Drive knowing that if you turn right your burger and beer at Russborough are only about 5km away down a mostly flat road. But that is all part of the challenge.
    I was actually out cycling on Lake Drive this evening. And lovely it was too wink.png. I was scoping out some new roads for the 2019 Dog Route....

BTW I hope you enjoyed your French biking adventures Mercian Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Corker1 wrote: »
    BTW I hope you enjoyed your French biking adventures Mercian Pro.

Great time in France based in Vaison la Romaine with some super cycling routes including Ventoux of course. Some of the group managed Ventoux three ways in one day (Ventrois!) which was seriously impressive.

Off to Slovenia on the Hospice Cycle next weekend but will make sure to be around for the Dog on 2nd September.

• Advertisement

Cunard Climb. It looks a whole lot nicer from this perspective!

Only two weeks to go now. Lots of climbing on both routes but which is your favourite climb?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

Signed up for the 125km route today. Haven't done this cycle before and looking forward to it, just need to get out on the hills more over the next few weeks in preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Try1ng

Hi guys, honesty now - how does it compare to the SERC 3 peaks or the W200?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Try1ng wrote: »

‘‘Tis grand till ya get to the lakes. If you have done the two ya mentioned you’ll be fine just pace the first 40km.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is it possible to set off early once registered. I#ll be taking it easy but the OH might be collecting me and taking me for lunch as I may not fancy 40 km home

Also any change/shower facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

Try1ng wrote: »

In my opinion, its tougher than 3 Peaks and 'easier' than the W200 - but only because the Wicklow 200 route is longer. If you were to extend the Reservoir Dog sportive to 200km, or take a 125km chunk from the W200 route, I reckon the Dog would still be tougher - certainly the W200 doesn't have anything like Cunard.

AxleAddict wrote: »
    certainly the W200 doesn't have anything like Cunard.
    Or Lake Drive.

I'd agree that it's harder than 3 peaks, and then distance makes it less than the 200.

Was initially hoping to racing this weekend, then thought I might make this, but still not over the crash enough to contemplate it. Had to settle for a Mont beer or two at the Big Grill instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Really looking forward to it now. The racing cassette is off, climbing one on. Weather lookin good.... Can't wait

Still rocking the 34/26, I'm don't know if I could swap for a 30 on, but I'll try a 28 at least

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Is it possible to set off early once registered. I#ll be taking it easy but the OH might be collecting me and taking me for lunch as I may not fancy 40 km home

Also any change/shower facilities

Hi Weepsie. The roll out of the 125km Dog is a mass start at 9am. There is nothing stopping you setting off early but just to be aware that you will not have the benefit of marshals along the route especially early on. Depending on your pace you may also get to the waterstops and foodstops before they are set up. The 65km Pup is a mass start at 9.30. I hope the burger and beer doesn't spoil your appetite for lunch. :D
    We checked with the venue and there are no showers on site. There are some very well maintained clean loos including a spacious disabled loo in the main house that would be suitable for changing. Oh, and there will be a physio on site for post ride massages. At least the weather forecast looks promising. Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday.

Was initially hoping to racing this weekend, then thought I might make this, but still not over the crash enough to contemplate it. Had to settle for a Mont beer or two at the Big Grill instead![/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear about your crash Macy. We will save you a Mont for next year...a fresh bottle of course! We might even do something about your beloved Lake drive by then too;)......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Still rocking the 34/26, I'm don't know if I could swap for a 30 on, but I'll try a 28 at least
    I have 11-32 on the back and 46-30 on the front, mostly just for Cunard. Back wheel slipping last year in the wet so had to sit down for quite a bit. Also just to be a bit fresher over the rest of the climbs

Borderfox wrote: »
    I have 11-32 on the back and 46-30 on the front, mostly just for Cunard. Back wheel slipping last year in the wet so had to sit down for quite a bit. Also just to be a bit fresher over the rest of the climbs

I've got SRAM red 10 speed, I think any more than a 28 is risky. I'd chance it on the other bike but the cost of replacing that derailleur is not worth it.

Corker1 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your crash Macy. We will save you a Mont for next year...a fresh bottle of course.
    I think he said he was bringing the draft set up this year?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I think he said he was bringing the draft set up this year?

Save you a keg?

Save you a keg?
    Just the one?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Real long shot here, but is anyone giving lifts? Heading from the Rathfarnham area? Will pay for petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

LennoxR wrote: »
    Real long shot here, but is anyone giving lifts? Heading from the Rathfarnham area? Will pay for petrol.

Spin up the N81 to warm up the legs before Cunard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

py wrote: »
    Spin up the N81 to warm up the legs before Cunard.

Ha ha ha! I think I'll have to.

Advertisement