Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reservoir Dog Sportive 2018

Options
  • 04-06-2018 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Do you fancy a challenging cycle sportive that will leave you grinning from ear to ear? You do?....Well on-line registration is now open for the Reservoir Dog Sportive 2018. It will be hosted again this year at Russborough House near Blessington, taking place on Sunday 2nd September. As with previous years the tough Reservoir Dog 125km course follows the same challenging route around the major reservoirs of County Wicklow and South Co. Dublin and has some serious climbs along the way including the infamous Cunard climb. And as with previous years we have kept the fantastic value on-line entry fee to €30 (C.I. members) +€5 for non-C.I.! The Reservoir Pup 65 km route is a deceptively tough circuit with some tasty wee climbs on especially scenic roads. This event has proven very popular as an end of season leg tester and with the Tour of Waterford no longer running it is a great chance for a cracking day around the mountains before autumn sets in. We are planning to run this as a sustainable event to reduce the environmental impact as much as possible. Rider numbers are limited to ensure the best experience for all entrants. For more information see the link posted below. Early registration is recommended to secure a spot. This is one 'terr(ier)ific' sportive you really shouldn't miss smile.pnghttp://www.reservoircogs.ie/reservoir-dog-sportive/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Excellent news. Plus I’m not working that weekend! I’ll be there again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Weird, only earlier said to the OH I could finally do this as for the first time in 10 years I'm not away.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

Have taken part in this for the last two years - and have already signed up for this years event - has turned out to be one of my favourite sportives - some challenging climbs - especially 'Cunard' which is probably the steepest part of the route. All the climbing is rewarded with some great views (if the weather plays ball). A word of warning though, the climbing does start pretty early, so be prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Awesome. I plan to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Did it last year great sportive but will have to wait till the last minute to sign up as its falls on All Ireland football final day this year..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Corker1 wrote: »
    Do you fancy a challenging cycle sportive that will leave you grinning from ear to ear? You do?....Well on-line registration is now open for the Reservoir Dog Sportive 2018. It will be hosted again this year at Russborough House near Blessington, taking place on Sunday 2nd September. As with previous years the tough Reservoir Dog 125km course follows the same challenging route around the major reservoirs of County Wicklow and South Co. Dublin and has some serious climbs along the way including the infamous Cunard climb. And as with previous years we have kept the fantastic value on-line entry fee to €30 (C.I. members) +€5 for non-C.I.! The Reservoir Pup 65 km route is a deceptively tough circuit with some tasty wee climbs on especially scenic roads. This event has proven very popular as an end of season leg tester and with the Tour of Waterford no longer running it is a great chance for a cracking day around the mountains before autumn sets in. We are planning to run this as a sustainable event to reduce the environmental impact as much as possible. Rider numbers are limited to ensure the best experience for all entrants. For more information see the link posted below. Early registration is recommended to secure a spot. This is one 'terr(ier)ific' sportive you really shouldn't miss smile.pnghttp://www.reservoircogs.ie/reservoir-dog-sportive/

See you there!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Fantastic event last year and will bring some of my club down this year

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

Shame, clashes with frank duffy 10 mile rescheduled date (bloody pope). Loved doing it last two years.

Borderfox wrote: »
    Fantastic event last year and will bring some of my club down this year
    I've put the word out to my club also - so hoping to coax a few hardy souls to make the journey down with me this time around!

Did it last year great sportive but will have to wait till the last minute to sign up as its falls on All Ireland football final day this year..
    *sheesh* You'd have thought the GAA would've had the sense to check with the Reservoir Cogs first before planning their fixture calendar :P

• Advertisement

AxleAddict wrote: »
    *sheesh* You'd have thought the GAA would've had the sense to check with the Reservoir Cogs first before planning their fixture calendar :P

The GAA already moved for the Pope.

Anyway signed up. If I cycle there and back, it's over 200k so that's the aim now!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Yes it's a bummer that it clashes with All-Ireland football final day. We had booked the venue and CI calendar slot for 2nd September prior to the GAA moving the Finals back a week to facilitate the Popes' visit. By the time we realised that there would be a clash, other dates for the venue were no longer available to us. If you pedal fast you will get home in time for throw-in. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

It clashed with the all Ireland the first year too as far as I remember but there was still a good turn out.

I'm putting in the book now. As good as done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

It's an excellent event, missed last due to illness but will head back this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'll be there. I've done the previous ones and rank them as my favourite day out. See you in September

Corker1 wrote: »
    Yes it's a bummer that it clashes with All-Ireland football final day. We had booked the venue and CI calendar slot for 2nd September prior to the GAA moving the Finals back a week to facilitate the Popes' visit. By the time we realised that there would be a clash, other dates for the venue were no longer available to us. If you pedal fast you will get home in time for throw-in. ;)

Not a fan of Catholicism or the gaa so I wont be missing it for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It clashed with the all Ireland the first year too as far as I remember but there was still a good turn out...!
    It clashed with the all Ireland hurling final last year (Galway v Waterford). Pretty sure I made it home for the second half.

It clashed with the all Ireland hurling final last year (Galway v Waterford). Pretty sure I made it home for the second half.

Yeah I recall people chatting about that at the end.

You probably cycled home though and did another 60k, others drove and saw the entire match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RustyGears

I've done this sportive twice and have to say it's one of my favorites. Great challenge at the end of the summer, would highly recommend!

• Advertisement

Having just completed my first Wicklow 200 at the weekend, I think I can fairly safely say that I still enjoy the Reservoir Dog route more. In my opinion, the views are better and the surfaces on the descents are generally better too, so you get to enjoy all the hard work you put into the climbing. Roll on September!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Can anyone tell me what the total climbing is in the 125k? I'm interested in this, having finished the WW200 yesterday, and actually enjoying it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

davef1000 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the total climbing is in the 125k? I'm interested in this, having finished the WW200 yesterday, and actually enjoying it!

Think it’s 2000 meters or thereabouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

thelawman wrote: »
    Think it’s 2000 meters or thereabouts

Ouch. Sounds delightful...

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

davef1000 wrote: »
    Ouch. Sounds delightful...

Just checked my Strava from 2016 (same route) and it's 2001. Don't forget that extra 1. Could make all the difference. The real difficulty is not the start which is heavily loaded with climbing it's towards the end. Small hills that are usually no issue are suddenly mountains. Ballyknockan in particular is a bitch that far in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

The killer is lake drive at the end, **** that piece of **** road. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭Macy0161

py wrote: »
    The killer is lake drive at the end, **** that piece of **** road. :mad:
    Worst feckin bit of the Reservoir Dog and the Orwell Randonee!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I would go back the way I came rather than that lake drive piece of sh*t tarmac

in other news I have a nice shiny 11-36 for this year specially for Cunard :)

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Worst feckin bit of the Reservoir Dog and the Orwell Randonee!

Practically my backgarden, love it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Not feeling "the love " on here for the beautiful lake drive :)

Advertisement