Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Building Control Regs

18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

ArtieBucco wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies,

@stickybookmark thanks for the heads up regarding filling in the commencement notice, would it be possible to do a trial run before lodging, i.e downloading forms and maybe getting Building control to have a glance before submission? just a thought..
    I doubt they have the resources for that.
    When my BIL was filling his one out I just gave him my password and login for BCMS so he could have an example of a successful (i.e correctly filled out one) at hand to use as a template when he was doing his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭patg

I am trying to get an understanding of what will be required in relation to a side extension build (2 storey - likely >40sqm).
    I understand the project will need planning permission due to exceeeding size limitation and also being road facing.

I have spoken to 2 architects and prices quoted by both are way more than we anticipated. However I'm surprised that there are substantial fees included by one for BCMS work - on the basis this is compulsory, whereas the other has no BCMS mention and relatively modest inspection/certification fees...

Am I correct in thinking we can opt in/opt out of BCMS?
    What are the implications of opting out of BCMS (apart from making mortgage/lending more problematic)?
    What is the difference in the service that can be offered by an architect and an architect technician - I believe the technician can't sign off, but it seems that even architects would need to refer most certs to an engineer for sign off - so little difference there?

If opt in/opt out is optional - is there a standard option generally chosen by homeowners for extensions?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

patg wrote: »

Am I correct in thinking we can opt in/opt out of BCMS?
    BCMS refers to the online system where you file your commencement notice that you're going building and it gets accepted by the local authority. No you cannot 'opt out' of it - you'll have to file a commencement notice. It is a bit tricky if you've never done it before and if possible it's easier to get the architect/technican/engineer to do it for you. However it'll take them 1-2 hours of work tops. So this should only be a small token charge
    What are the implications of opting out of BCMS (apart from making mortgage/lending more problematic)?
    What you can opt out of is having an Assigned certifier. This was something that people building between March 2014 and September 2015 had to have. They reversed the decision and now you don't have to have it anymore.One less hassle for you to worry about in building your extension.

What is the difference in the service that can be offered by an architect and an architect technician - I believe the technician can't sign off, but it seems that even architects would need to refer most certs to an engineer for sign off - so little difference there?
    Assuming you opt out the only sign-offs you'll need are for the bank (each stage will have to be signed off for them to relese the mortgage installments) for Homebond insurance, and at the end someone to give you a letter stating that the house complies with planning (and regulations...I think but double check that one). Not sure if that person has to be an architect, as far as i know both jobs can be done by an arch tech? I think it was only the Assigned certifier role that had to be done by an architect and couldn't be done by an arch tech

If opt in/opt out is optional - is there a standard option generally chosen by homeowners for extensions?
    Opt out is only there since September 2015 I'd assume the vast majority of people that can opt out, do - for all types of builds.
    Thanks in advance.

s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 Duke77

Hi,

Can anyone tell me at what stages an assigned certifier will inspect on a commercial development? i.e at what stages he/she will come out to site?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

He/she will have prepared an inspection plan at the start of the project listing the visits they plan to carry out. The builder should have a copy so he knows when to call them.

They might come out more often though depending on how the project is progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

Hi all, firstly if I am in the wrong thread feel free to kick me out!

Our in laws have a large 4 bed house with a single story garage conversion to the side. We wanted to know if, building another floor onto the top of the single story conversion and splitting the house into 2 houses would be an option.

I understand that for an absolute/definite answer we would need to consult with an architect, apply for planning etc. but again, just trying to get an idea of it this is something that is possible.

TIA

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

lfen wrote: »
    Hi all, firstly if I am in the wrong thread feel free to kick me out!

Our in laws have a large 4 bed house with a single story garage conversion to the side. We wanted to know if, building another floor onto the top of the single story conversion and splitting the house into 2 houses would be an option.

I understand that for an absolute/definite answer we would need to consult with an architect, apply for planning etc. but again, just trying to get an idea of it this is something that is possible.

TIA

Yes its possible subject to planning and then structural design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

kceire wrote: »
    Yes its possible subject to planning and then structural design.
    +1
    then what about separate entrances/back gardens etc
    water/esb/gas/etc meters

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

+1
    then what about separate entrances/back gardens etc
    water/esb/gas/etc meters

I ran with the assumption that this was an extension to the main dwelling as the OP never mentioned anything about a new dwelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

kceire wrote: »
    I ran with the assumption that this was an extension to the main dwelling as the OP never mentioned anything about a new dwelling.

No worries: I saw this: and splitting the house into 2 houses:)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

No worries: I saw this: and splitting the house into 2 houses:)

See it now.
    Yes, full planning, site area, drainage, parking, private open space, separation etc etc required.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mccarrd2

I am planning on an attic conversion. It requires planning because of dormer windows. As it requires planning, does this automatically mean I need to submit a commencement notice and therefore comply with all the regs that go with it?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,833 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

There are generally three types of commencement notice that are applicable to a domestic situation.

Small works / extensions less than 40sq m need a "commencement notice without documentation"

Extensions over 40 sq m and new detached new builds can choose whether to submit a 'opt in' commencement notice, which is a full "commencement notice with documentation" or a "commencement notice with opt out documentation"

So if your extending by under 40 sq m is a relatively simple application

If you're extending by more, then you've a choice to make.

mccarrd2 wrote: »
    I am planning on an attic conversion. It requires planning because of dormer windows. As it requires planning, does this automatically mean I need to submit a commencement notice and therefore comply with all the regs that go with it?

Yes. CN required.
    You still need to comply with building regs for works that don’t need a commencement notice too by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭descol

Hi Boarders

I have a question regarding extensions and the new Regs

I understand that the new regulations require that where major renovations (defined as a renovation where more than 25% of the surface envelope of the building undergoes renovation) are carried on a building, the whole building or dwelling should achieve a cost optimal energy performance insofar as it is technically, functionally and economically feasible. The cost optimal energy performance level for a typical dwelling is equivalent to a B2 BER.

If there is a new grd floor rear extension of say 35 sqm to a Semi D - do the new regs require that the existing semi D needs to be upgraded to to meet a B2 BER Rating ?

thanks in advance
    descol

• Advertisement

descol wrote: »
    Hi Boarders

I have a question regarding extensions and the new Regs

I understand that the new regulations require that where major renovations (defined as a renovation where more than 25% of the surface envelope of the building undergoes renovation) are carried on a building, the whole building or dwelling should achieve a cost optimal energy performance insofar as it is technically, functionally and economically feasible. The cost optimal energy performance level for a typical dwelling is equivalent to a B2 BER.

If there is a new grd floor rear extension of say 35 sqm to a Semi D - do the new regs require that the existing semi D needs to be upgraded to to meet a B2 BER Rating ?

thanks in advance
    descol

What is the opinion of your designer?
    There's working samples of what you may do within Part L.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 doggy Bear

Hi everyone.
    I need some advice.
    I am selling my home and the buyer wants to see a Certificate of Compliance for work I had done inside the house in 2013.
    The problem is: I don't have one!
    I had hired a builder that a friend recommended to knock down a wall to make the kitchen bigger and install an RSJ, which he did.
    But he never gave me a certificate or anything like that.
    Am I liable?
    What can be done now to sort this issue out?
    Your help would be really appreciated.
    Cheers.

Have you a solicitor working for you?
    They will advise you in these matters

doggy Bear wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    I need some advice.
    I am selling my home and the buyer wants to see a Certificate of Compliance for work I had done inside the house in 2013.
    The problem is: I don't have one!
    I had hired a builder that a friend recommended to knock down a wall to make the kitchen bigger and install an RSJ, which he did.
    But he never gave me a certificate or anything like that.
    Am I liable?
    What can be done now to sort this issue out?
    Your help would be really appreciated.
    Cheers.

Engage an engineer/architect/surveyor/relevant professional.
    They will issue an opinion on compliance but may want certain elements of works opened up to inspect the structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

From your description of the works as 'inside the house' it doesnt sound like its a planning Architects Opinion on Compliance (AOC) that you are being asked for. If the works were done before 1 March 2014 the Building Control Amendment Regulations 2014 (BCAR) dont apply so you cant be asked to provide any BCAR Certs. What remains is to provide an AOC relating to compliance with the Building Regulations. In this case its probably best to approach a local structural engineer and get the builder to provide him with whatever details he requires to allow him to provide an Opinion on Compliance based on a visual inspection and the details provided by the contractor.
    You are lucky that the works are not post 1 March 2014 as there is no remedy for missing BCAR paperwork.
    BTW since 1993 there is no longer any such thing as a certificate of compliance in this context.
    Hope that helps
    Good Luck.

ps. Just saw Gumbo's much more succinct post essentially saying the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 banzer

Hi,

I have a query that maybe someone can shed some light on.
    -Building on a house started in 2007 (under building regulations of that year)
    -It stalled for a few years
    -Looking to resume now in 2020

Does it do so under the regulations of today, or those that were in play when building commenced in 2007?

banzer wrote: »
    Hi,

Does it do so under the regulations of today, or those that were in play when building commenced in 2007?

Planning is most likely expired.
    New planning required.
    New commencement notice to current regulations.

All the above is based on what stage the works are currently at.

Hi,

Depends on what level the works are at currently.

If "substantially complete" it's arguable that existing certification will suffice, and compliance will be regs at time of commencement

If not, then as per gumbos post above.

Gumbo... The structural engineer came today, looked it over, and said it was fine. I will be issued with an Opinion of Compliance by next week. Thank you very much for your input.

01Surveyor... same message to you as for Gumbo. The Opinion of Compliance will be issued shortly so thank you for your input!

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Depends on what level the works are at currently.

If "substantially complete" it's arguable that existing certification will suffice, and compliance will be regs at time of commencement

If not, then as per gumbos post above.

Thanks gumbos and sydthebeat for your inputs.

The walls are built and plastered
    The roof is on and tiled
    Doors and windows are in

There is no electricity installed
    No heating installed (ie. no heat system chosen or radiators fitted)
    No internal work done

Thanks gumbos and sydthebeat for your inputs.

The walls are built and plastered
    The roof is on and tiled
    Doors and windows are in

There is no electricity installed
    No heating installed (ie. no heat system chosen or radiators fitted)
    No internal work done

That’s classed as substantially complete in my opinion so old regs apply. Original CN stands and no new planning required.

But, always get it checked on the ground by a relevant professional.

You’d be best placed to comply with as much of today’s regs as possible. Especially with regards to heating, renewables etc

Gumbo wrote: »
    That’s classed as substantially complete in my opinion so old regs apply. Original CN stands and no new planning required.

But, always get it checked on the ground by a relevant professional.

You’d be best placed to comply with as much of today’s regs as possible. Especially with regards to heating, renewables etc

^
    this 100%

If no 1st fix heating is installed, then aim as high as is practical

2007 commencement would have been in accordance with 2005 Part L regs.
    since then there has been upgrades in 2008, 2011 and 2019

a typical 2005 Part L house would be approx a C3 BER rating.
    a 2008 went to B2, 2011 went to A3 and 2019 is at A2

you should be able to achieve B1 without any major impact to the build as it stands today

Thanks again for those inputs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Hi All, looking for direction regarding the BCMS system and use of Commencement Notice without documentation. Once a CN is submitted, is there anything else that needs to be done on the BCMS once the works are finished? Do you close out the job on the system in anyway? Thanks.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

Nope

just submit CN without documentation, wait for validation of CN... and away you go..... no need to contact them again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Apologies if this has been asked before, i dont fancy wading through 23 pages

I am about to finalise the purchase of new build in the next month or two in the west of ireland. Anything in the new regs that will protect me from the builder having used poor quality materials or blocks that have mica above the 1% limit.

Or is this a question for the solicitor before final contracts are signed.

Once he provides the BCAR certs to the solicitor that’s as far as you’ll get.

hopefully the certified has done their job and proofed all materials used.

Advertisement