Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Building Control Regs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Frog Song wrote: »
    Thanks. I thought as much but I thought you were suggesting to miss no stars there that they had to be on site every day.

That's the impression I got as well. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

sydthebeat wrote: »
    they wont be, no one could afford that.

have a look at this, which suggest 99 hours

at how much per hour ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭RITwing

at how much per hour ?

start with annaul Salary
    X to cover overheads
    / 1900 hours

For a one man band fee

RITwing wrote: »
    start with annaul Salary
    X to cover overheads
    / 1900 hours

For a one man band fee

So how much are you talking per hour roughly ?

Ok let's say we have a very experienced profesional together with a recently qualified assistant. Suppose they split the time 50/50 on a project. If we say the senior guy is on €60k per year the junior on €30k - this aggrerates to €45k

( €45,000 x 3 ) / 1900 = €71/hr.

That is a sketch estimate. There will be variables depending on each case.

• Advertisement

Ok let's say we have a very experienced profesional together with a recently qualified assistant. Suppose they split the time 50/50 on a project. If we say the senior guy is on €60k per year the junior on €30k - this aggrerates to €45k

( €45,000 x 3 ) / 1900 = €71/hr.

That is a sketch estimate. There will be variables depending on each case.

Sounds about right.

So that's about 7000 grand ex VAT for the 99 hours

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Frog Song wrote: »
    Thanks. I thought as much but I thought you were suggesting to miss no stars there that they had to be on site every day.

no i was saying that thats what the wording of the certificates expect.

im making the point that thats the onerous standard expected, everything on a building site is subject to building regulations, therefore when the certifier signs off, they are signing that every design, process, workmanship and material are compliant.

obviously common sense has to apply in real world situations..... and not in the world of the civil servants who devised the system and worded the certs.

no i was saying that thats what the wording of the certificates expect.

im making the point that thats the onerous standard expected, everything on a building site is subject to building regulations, therefore when the certifier signs off, they are signing that every design, process, workmanship and material are compliant.

obviously common sense has to apply in real world situations..... and not in the world of the civil servants who devised the system and worded the certs.

Whatever the eventual practice on the ground, the courts will be going by the wording

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Whatever the eventual practice on the ground, the courts will be going by the wording

... which is why the assigned certifers balls are on the block ;)

....until we see how the ref's apply the new rules....

• Advertisement

... which is why the assigned certifers balls are on the block ;)

As there is effectively no real world enforcement of the building regs in Ireland, some won't give a shyte about that though, and we're back to the situation where the cowboys can undercut the honest certifiers every time.

and where unscrupulous developers can hire - as a staff member - a weak architect/engineer/surveyor to sign "as required"

and where unscrupulous developers can hire - as a staff member - a weak architect/engineer/surveyor to sign "as required"

even a 'strong' one is going to have to sign what he's told, or take a hike.

By weak I include someone who may be severly financially damaged and therefore compromised.

As an architect you cannot pay me more / threaten to pay me less for obtaining / failing to obtain a planning permission , fire safety cert or disabled access certificate. You can after exhausting hours and hours of my time say - no cert - no fee.

By weak I include someone who may be severly financially damaged and therefore compromised.

As an architect you cannot pay me more / threaten to pay me less for obtaining / failing to obtain a planning permission , fire safety cert or disabled access certificate. You can after exhausting hours and hours of my time say - no cert - no fee.

There will always be a lad cheaper than you willing to sign whatever he's told, and they're the ones that'll have all the work. With no real world enforcement of the building regs by the state authorities, he who pays the piper calls the tunes, and that means the developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

(in response to whether ACs are ltds) Most of the ones I've seen certainly are. They'd be a bit stupid not to be in this day and age.
    Whoever signs the cert could be sued personally in tort anyway- even if the ltd in theory signs the cert. It's why employees of a company should never sign certs- they are potentially personally liable if the aggrieved plaintiff so wishes (e.g. if the company folds).

Edit: that's beside the point that the vets must be signed personally.

It is impossible for you to say this as there has not yet been a case brought against an assigned certifier.
    Plenty of cases taken against architects based on the current system though- so very possible to say.
    And joining third parties or co-defendants is a very simple procedure in litigation.

Sounds about right.

So that's about 7000 grand ex VAT for the 99 hours

You'll have to double that to cover employer's prsi, sick leave, holiday pay, insurance, registration, necessary annual courses, office, accountant, electricity, rates, office overhead, etc.

You could halve it and still much of the market will complain it is too much.

Commencement Notices - after a massive spike earlier in the year - are falling massively in numbers now...

link2plancomencements-pdf-converted.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

True, and we'll be getting in to the realms of no fee - no cert too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    True, and we'll be getting in to the realms of no fee - no cert too.

Well I am with Eoin O Coffaigh on this. I would not act as DC or AC under SI 9 for any fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm wondering would a straw pole be useful. For those in a position who can act as a DC/AC under SI9 whether or not they intend to undertake such instructions considering the liability?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Hairy mellon

AC/DC looks like completely toxic roles. On completion local authorities only looking for assigned certifier documentation (no ancillary certs needed) so single-point of responsibility

DC has to upload any changes to design before they are constructed on site. There is no mechanism in BCMS to allow access to system for separate DC.

AC+DC should be one, separate, role.

CIF certs very light and suggest compliance only with drawings- appear to be less responsibility than pre si9

Very important to stitch in proper responsibility in tender and contract documentation. Also compliance with Part D means a very onerous peperwork record must be kept by certifiers of all materials and components used in a project.

admin on this is very time-consuming.

in the vacuum due to the following:

1) no COP for BCA's (code of practice for building control authorities)
    2) no standard "template" for best practice from ACEI/SCSI/RIAI
    3) inadequate documentation from ACEI/SCSI/RIAI
    4) uncertain insurance implications

it would seem appropriate to take a year or two off and come back when all this stuff is in place...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

in the vacuum due to the following:

1) no COP for BCA's (code of practice for building control authorities)2) no standard "template" for best practice from ACEI/SCSI/RIAI
    3) inadequate documentation from ACEI/SCSI/RIAI
    4) uncertain insurance implications

it would seem appropriate to take a year or two off and come back when all this stuff is in place...

theres a Framework for BCA's out, but its a work in progress i believe.

v1 posted up- final version due out this month

mind you draft suggests BCA's only responsible for policing "the marketing" of materials....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Interesting....

'Fine Gael expert group opposed the introduction of new regulations'.

http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2014/09/03/fine-gael-expert-group-opposed-the-introduction-of-new-regulations/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Interesting....

'Fine Gael expert group opposed the introduction of new regulations'.

http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2014/09/03/fine-gael-expert-group-opposed-the-introduction-of-new-regulations/

Ha!! they can join the club, its a pity they didn't take their minister aside and give him a good talking to!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Advertisement