Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

About time!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I do agree, the problem I have is that as far as I'm aware, it's the "winter time" that's default, so we'd end up with earlier sunsets during the summer. Would rather it the "summer time" all year instead.

edit, actually only skimmed the article, that's what's proposed.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So it will not get bright till close on 10am in the west in the dead of winter.

Stupid idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I do agree, the problem I have is that as far as I'm aware, it's the "winter time" that's default, so we'd end up with earlier sunsets during the summer. Would rather it the "summer time" all year instead.

That was one of the question in the survey.
    When I took it, I voted for keeping summer time year round.

Shenshen wrote: »
    That was one of the question in the survey.
    When I took it, I voted for keeping summer time year round.

Sorry yeah I only skimmed the article, that's what's actually proposed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

I won't be listening to the EU on this. I will stick to how it currently is. Let EU nations follow if they must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,150 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Stupid idea.

They would still get the extra hour of daylight in the evening time in the middle of winter just like everyone else. Maybe plenty of people would be quite happy with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stupid idea.

Swings and roundabouts. The sun setting at 4 o'clock in the afternoon is just as absurd as it not rising till 10am.

You can't control the basic physics, only the labels we apply to it. Personally I feel that a later sunset in the winter would be worth having the later sunrise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Taytoland wrote: »
    I won't be listening to the EU on this. I will stick to how it currently is. Let EU nations follow if they must.

So you're planning on turning up an hour late for everything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

seamus wrote: »
    You can't control the basic physics, only the labels we apply to it.

It seems though that there are people out there who think that DST actually somehow magically changes the amount of 'daytime' in the day during the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

First they start messing with the time, next it'll be the corporation tax,
    - all in the name of glorious 'harmonisation', a pretty word sometimes with ugly consequences.

What about sticking an artifical sun lamp up in the sky over Northern Europe
    e.g. Mass of xenon lamps in geo-sat, solar/wind charged by day, but ramped up sunrise/sunset.
    Sunny days (and night)!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

'time' is a social construct, maan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

If they keep us on Summer time then Noon (the point at which the Sun is highest in the sky) will not be Noon (12 O'Clock). I know that this has not been the case in Ireland since the adoption of GMT but we are only a few minutes behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

If they keep us on Summer time then Noon (the point at which the Sun is highest in the sky) will not be Noon (12 O'Clock). I know that this has not been the case in Ireland since the adoption of GMT but we are only a few minutes behind.

Unless you're using a sundial, why would that be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

So the UK will stick with GMT while the rest of Europe standardises on a time that doesn't require changing the clocks twice a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

'time' is a social construct, maan...

The term 'social construct' is also one.

Ha! now you are caught in a loop from which you can never be released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Shenshen wrote: »
    Unless you're using a sundial, why would that be a problem?
    Because I am incredibly pedantic and it would annoy me.

It already isn't, if you look at a map of the timezones more than half of the country should be in GMT -1 if you were to go by the orbit of the sun.
    Because I am incredibly pedantic and it would annoy me.

Don't go to the west coast so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Stupid idea.

I'd be keen to learn why would you reckon that this morning hour (when most are in a lit classroom/workplace anyway) is the time of the day when we need the daylight. Would the daylight not be used better when kids and 9-5 workers have a chance to use it outdoors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MrCostington

9EIvRkj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

fxotoole wrote: »
    So the UK will stick with GMT while the rest of Europe standardises on a time that doesn't require changing the clocks twice a year?

GMT is different issue Ireland would remain in the same timezone

if UK kept DST Ireland would be on GMT for half the year along with UK and then an hour apart the other half

but that is if UK kept it

All I know is it is depressing as fúck when the clocks go back and suddenly you're leaving work in almost complete darkness :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I think it's a great idea but ultimately we won't do it unless the U.K. agrees to it.

So basically it won't happen here, trying to get the U.K. to follow an suggestion from Europe ain't gonna fly

I think it's a great idea but ultimately we won't do it unless the U.K. agrees to it.

So basically it won't happen here, trying to get the U.K. to follow an suggestion from Europe ain't gonna fly

I don't know if Ireland will have much of a choice in the matter if the rest of the EU decides it's the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Well, him and his ilk are generally about a century behind the rest of civilization, so another hour isn't going to make much of a difference.

well given 80% wanted these changes there may be an appetite for it in UK for same reasons. Their business/financial sector also probably wouldn't want to be another hour out of sync with European countries

also worth noting that Ireland was once in a different timezone and were 25 minutes behind UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,897 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Why do we need the UK to agree? We went metric when they didn't.

wexie wrote: »
    I don't know if Ireland will have much of a choice in the matter if the rest of the EU decides it's the way to go.

Of course we will, not all European laws are the same for each country. This is not the USA.

Each member state can still choose if they want to keep DST or not
    Why do we need the UK to agree? We went metric when they didn't.

Most people over 50 still use imperial here, besides that is a unit of measure you are talking about.

Also as you may or may not be aware 6 of the counties on this island are in the U.K. also the majority of our international business dealings are still with the U.K., I can guaranteed that Irish business will kick up a stink if we have a different time than the UK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

El Weirdo wrote: »

Well, him and his ilk are generally about a century behind the rest of civilization, so another hour isn't going to make much of a difference.
    Funny how progressives think only they are in the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

IMO we should calculate the mean time for solar noon across the country, make that noon and never change the clocks at any time during the year. If schools and work needs to start at 8am or 10am that's fine, it's only an abstract concept relative to a solar day anyway.

12pm should be the middle of the solar day and we should keep it at that all year long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

If Brexit becomes a reality, they would be under no obligation to follow any EU Directives ;)

GarIT wrote: »
    IMO we should calculate the mean time for solar noon across the country, make that noon and never change the clocks at any time during the year. If schools and work needs to start at 8am or 10am that's fine, it's only an abstract concept relative to a solar day anyway.

12pm should be the middle of the solar day and we should keep it at that all year long.

Fatal flaw there, true noon is at a different time of the day depending where you are in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It’s not like that in summer now either. In the west noon is 1:30 pm

Doing that would basically mean starting our own timezone of something like GMT -30 or 40 minutes which would just be more awkward.

Not that I completely disagree with your thinking....I just don't think it would be very practical.

Riskymove wrote: »
    GMT is different issue Ireland would remain in the same timezone

if UK kept DST Ireland would be on GMT for half the year along with UK and then an hour apart the other half

but that is if UK kept it

No? We will never be on GMT if this happens.

• Advertisement

fxotoole wrote: »
    If Brexit becomes a reality, they would be under no obligation to follow any EU Directives ;)

It won't be a directive though, not a hope. It will only be a recommendation at best. The final say will still rest with the member state.

What you are asking for here is a specific timezone for Ireland. That’s what time zones are, averages of the solar noon within that time zone. You want ireland to be GMT + 20minutes.

However the average will work only in one part of Ireland because the rest of Ireland won’t be exactly right for their solar noon.

(Actually to get more advanced that’s not true either. Solar Noon isn’t 24 hours apart).

So pointless.

It won't be a directive though, not a hope. It will only be a recommendation at best. The final say will still rest with the member state.

Directives are not binding either.

No? We will never be on GMT if this happens.

well yes we'll be GMT+1

but we will still be the same time as UK half the year and an hour apart the rest

GMT+1

The Uk will be on GMT+1 half the year and GMT the other half

There is already an EU directive about DST

that is what has led to the EU review

• Advertisement

Directives are not binding either.

yes they are...why else would the EU be able to take States to court for not abiding by them

Riskymove wrote: »
    well yes we'll be GMT+1

Which isn’t GMT.

Anyway the worst thing we could do is winter time all year round, but at least they are not suggesting that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

hour difference going 5 mins down the road will be fun

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Would anyone vote for longer working days in summer and shorter in Winter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Stupid idea.

Actually the winter is when clocks are at their correct position. Its the summer where theyre off by 1hr.

What it would mean though is in the summer the sun would set at 9pm and rise at 3am in ireland during mid summer.

Edit: Noticed that they want to stay on "Summer time" all year round. Definately wouldnt work for us here. Rather we should be on "winter time" all year round as we'd be matched to the solar day nore accurately.

Would anyone vote for longer working days in summer and shorter in Winter?

I'd rather work longer in the winter when the weather's shíte and have more time off in the summer when the weather's... a warmer type of shíte.

hour difference going 5 mins down the road will be fun

it should be noted that this is the current reality in parts of Europe and other parts of the world and they manage

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I'd rather work longer in the winter when the weather's sh and have more time off in the summer when the weather's... a warmer type of sh.

Hmm, if we could get the schools on board it might not be a bad idea.
    I was thinking more along the lines of pulling the old switcharoo after two years and making the shorter working day standard all year round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Fatal flaw there, true noon is at a different time of the day depending where you are in Ireland

Hence I used the word mean, so average, both averaged geographically and between days. Calculate one overall average time for the whole country and use that.

As a couple of users have pointed out that would probably have us at an awkward timezone. It could be partially resolved by rounding to the nearest 30 mins, or even to the nearest hour would be good enough.

Given geographic differences and differences between days it can't be done exactly but I think solar noon should be 12pm +/- 30 mins or if that can't be done in a way that accommodates business and ease of transitioning +/- 60 minutes, but we should roughly center out day around the average solar noon as much as possible instead of being 90 mins off as we are at the moment.

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

I really hate the 4pm darkness. Please let this happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement