Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Frances Helpless Rabies

About time!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I do agree, the problem I have is that as far as I'm aware, it's the "winter time" that's default, so we'd end up with earlier sunsets during the summer. Would rather it the "summer time" all year instead.

edit, actually only skimmed the article, that's what's proposed.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So it will not get bright till close on 10am in the west in the dead of winter.

Stupid idea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I do agree, the problem I have is that as far as I'm aware, it's the "winter time" that's default, so we'd end up with earlier sunsets during the summer. Would rather it the "summer time" all year instead.

That was one of the question in the survey.
    When I took it, I voted for keeping summer time year round.

Shenshen wrote: »
    That was one of the question in the survey.
    When I took it, I voted for keeping summer time year round.

Sorry yeah I only skimmed the article, that's what's actually proposed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

I won't be listening to the EU on this. I will stick to how it currently is. Let EU nations follow if they must.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,829 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Stupid idea.

They would still get the extra hour of daylight in the evening time in the middle of winter just like everyone else. Maybe plenty of people would be quite happy with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stupid idea.

Swings and roundabouts. The sun setting at 4 o'clock in the afternoon is just as absurd as it not rising till 10am.

You can't control the basic physics, only the labels we apply to it. Personally I feel that a later sunset in the winter would be worth having the later sunrise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Taytoland wrote: »
    I won't be listening to the EU on this. I will stick to how it currently is. Let EU nations follow if they must.

So you're planning on turning up an hour late for everything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

seamus wrote: »
    You can't control the basic physics, only the labels we apply to it.

It seems though that there are people out there who think that DST actually somehow magically changes the amount of 'daytime' in the day during the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Alani Ancient Clergy

First they start messing with the time, next it'll be the corporation tax,
    - all in the name of glorious 'harmonisation', a pretty word sometimes with ugly consequences.

What about sticking an artifical sun lamp up in the sky over Northern Europe
    e.g. Mass of xenon lamps in geo-sat, solar/wind charged by day, but ramped up sunrise/sunset.
    Sunny days (and night)!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

'time' is a social construct, maan...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

If they keep us on Summer time then Noon (the point at which the Sun is highest in the sky) will not be Noon (12 O'Clock). I know that this has not been the case in Ireland since the adoption of GMT but we are only a few minutes behind.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

If they keep us on Summer time then Noon (the point at which the Sun is highest in the sky) will not be Noon (12 O'Clock). I know that this has not been the case in Ireland since the adoption of GMT but we are only a few minutes behind.

Unless you're using a sundial, why would that be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

So the UK will stick with GMT while the rest of Europe standardises on a time that doesn't require changing the clocks twice a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Shenshen wrote: »
    Unless you're using a sundial, why would that be a problem?
    Because I am incredibly pedantic and it would annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

'time' is a social construct, maan...

The term 'social construct' is also one.

Ha! now you are caught in a loop from which you can never be released.

It already isn't, if you look at a map of the timezones more than half of the country should be in GMT -1 if you were to go by the orbit of the sun.
    Because I am incredibly pedantic and it would annoy me.

Don't go to the west coast so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Stupid idea.

I'd be keen to learn why would you reckon that this morning hour (when most are in a lit classroom/workplace anyway) is the time of the day when we need the daylight. Would the daylight not be used better when kids and 9-5 workers have a chance to use it outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭MrCostington

9EIvRkj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

fxotoole wrote: »
    So the UK will stick with GMT while the rest of Europe standardises on a time that doesn't require changing the clocks twice a year?

GMT is different issue Ireland would remain in the same timezone

if UK kept DST Ireland would be on GMT for half the year along with UK and then an hour apart the other half

but that is if UK kept it

All I know is it is depressing as fúck when the clocks go back and suddenly you're leaving work in almost complete darkness :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I think it's a great idea but ultimately we won't do it unless the U.K. agrees to it.

So basically it won't happen here, trying to get the U.K. to follow an suggestion from Europe ain't gonna fly

I think it's a great idea but ultimately we won't do it unless the U.K. agrees to it.

So basically it won't happen here, trying to get the U.K. to follow an suggestion from Europe ain't gonna fly

I don't know if Ireland will have much of a choice in the matter if the rest of the EU decides it's the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Well, him and his ilk are generally about a century behind the rest of civilization, so another hour isn't going to make much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

well given 80% wanted these changes there may be an appetite for it in UK for same reasons. Their business/financial sector also probably wouldn't want to be another hour out of sync with European countries

also worth noting that Ireland was once in a different timezone and were 25 minutes behind UK

• Registered Users Posts: 23,369 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Why do we need the UK to agree? We went metric when they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭bennyineire

wexie wrote: »
    I don't know if Ireland will have much of a choice in the matter if the rest of the EU decides it's the way to go.

Of course we will, not all European laws are the same for each country. This is not the USA.

Each member state can still choose if they want to keep DST or not
    Why do we need the UK to agree? We went metric when they didn't.

Most people over 50 still use imperial here, besides that is a unit of measure you are talking about.

Also as you may or may not be aware 6 of the counties on this island are in the U.K. also the majority of our international business dealings are still with the U.K., I can guaranteed that Irish business will kick up a stink if we have a different time than the UK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

El Weirdo wrote: »

Well, him and his ilk are generally about a century behind the rest of civilization, so another hour isn't going to make much of a difference.
    Funny how progressives think only they are in the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

IMO we should calculate the mean time for solar noon across the country, make that noon and never change the clocks at any time during the year. If schools and work needs to start at 8am or 10am that's fine, it's only an abstract concept relative to a solar day anyway.

12pm should be the middle of the solar day and we should keep it at that all year long.

Advertisement