Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

The following EPG changes happened this morning

Saorview:
    3 Virgin Media 1
    5 Virgin Media 2
    6 Virgin Media 3

Sky:
    103 Virgin One - HD swap with 803 with HD pack
    105 Virgin Two - HD swap with 805 with HD pack
    116 Virgin Three
    203 Virgin One+1
    803 Virgin One HD
    805 Virgin Two HD

Virgin Media:
    103 Virgin Media One - HD version on Horizon
    105 Virgin Media Two - HD version on Horizon
    106 Virgin Media Three - HD version on Horizon
    110 Virgin Media One +1
    148 Virgin Media Three HD
    149 Virgin Media Two HD
    150 Virgin Media One HD

Surprised Saorview didn't label the full name, they might have character limitations like on Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

I don't have access to eir Vision or Vodafone TV so don't know what their changes were

Worth noting a Saorview retune may be needed on the cheaper branded TVs as they don't seem to automatically update name changes unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

As much as people will miss the TV3 branding, I miss Channel 6 even more. That channel was just so special to me, particularly Nightshift.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Virgin didn't have to look too far for inspiration for the on-screen logos ...no imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭xtal191

Wont these ridiculous logos cause burn-in on some TVs oled, plasma etc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

lgs 4 wrote: »
    Virgin didn't have to look too far for inspiration for the on-screen logos ...no imagination.

That last one isn’t an actual BBC Three logo? Or did they have one I forgot about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

They'd be better putting the logos on the Horizon EPG. Nothing there only Virgin Med.... all three channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

lertsnim wrote: »
    I recall when UTV Ireland started showing up to date episodes of Ant and Dec Takeaway programme TV3 put on repeats from the previous year at the same time and more people watched the repeat. A lot of viewers have no idea what they are looking at.

There thing is now I just presume that they are all repeats. Is Catchphrase on Sunday a repeat or new? The worst thing is during ad breaks the actually promote their repeats of repeats. You don't know what's new or not. What actually is shown from ITV that's actually new to TV3 other than the live shows? On Saorview it says 'New' on the EPG for Judge Judy, is this episode new to Virgin Media 1? It wouldn't surprise me if they have it labelled as a new episode for VM1 (it was already on TV3)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

xtal191 wrote: »
    Wont these ridiculous logos cause burn-in on some TVs oled, plasma etc?

All Three Logos look hideous but compared to the old Utv Ireland Dog its not as bright.

God that Utv Ireland Dog was burnt onto my plasma tv months after it was sold to Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The logos are up on the saorview connect box as well.
    Is it me or is the picture quality improved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Patww79 wrote: »
    They'd be better putting the logos on the Horizon EPG. Nothing there only Virgin Med.... all three channels.

Probably show up on your box tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Interesting to see that on Sky Go they are using a HD feed for streaming on Virgin Three.. where as it’s SD on sky itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭deezell

The logos are up on the saorview connect box as well.

It must be you, or wishful thinking. Just looked at the Heathrow prog on VM3. The picture quality is hideous. It's worse than ever, as the source is obviously HD downscaled to sub SD then displayed on a UHD set. So bad I had to switch off.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephend2000

irishfeen wrote: »
    Interesting to see that on Sky Go they are using a HD feed for streaming on Virgin Three.. where as it’s SD on sky itself.
    Yes it looks a hell of a lot better than what’s on Sky or Saorview. Although the HD tag makes the DOG even bigger! Interestingly, VM2 is not available in HD on my Sky go. It’s only accessible in SD on channel 805, miles away from its usual position

I’m not sure if it’s been said already, but the new news theme is seriously channelling Crimewatch UK

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Definitely you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

EdgeCase wrote: »
    One of my older relatives was saying that her TV3 wasn't working and some English channel was on instead and asking if I could retune her TV.

It is a strange re-brand. While I don't think this will really be problematic for Virgin Media one, I think Virgin Media TWO and THREE will have to be careful as they really are just repeats of English channels, the Identity looks like an English Opt-Out.

The News programmes are very generic, in terms of graphics.

The DOGs/BUGs are purely their for the Virgin Media logo, Why they didn't opt to have the logo wrap around the numbers 1, 2 and 3, example below has words but you get what I mean. Oddly they have logos without the words Virgin Media which would suit!

438315.png

tv-guide-one-logo.png

tv-guide-two-logo.png

tv-guide-three-logo.png

kazoo106 wrote: »
    Managed to see it before Clermont Carn went off air - they probably need to be that size in order to make them out on Saorview due to the crap resolution !

Wouldn't be surprised. Still virtually impossible to make out the 'Virgin Media' lettering in the DOG. Designed for HD me thinks. SD Saorview really is an appalling abomination thats inflicted on us.

They don’t own the Virgin Media brand and license it from Richard Branson. Seemingly because of this, and because of the fact that the Virgin brand is licensed to a variety of third parties and for a variety of goods and services, there are limitations on what they can do with the brand. Apparently they can’t just use it on it’s own, it has to be followed with “Media”, “Mobile” or “TV”.

Confusing things then, is that the cable TV package is “Virgin TV” but the broadcaster is “Virgin Media Television”.

lgs 4 wrote: »

459899.jpg

I see that and give you

75?cb=20110426173222

220?cb=20100517080641

200?cb=20091104101750

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

OK now we have the switch over to Virgin Media TV, can we please have at least an upscaled picture quality on Saorview, surely to God it won't cost too much to upgrade from 544 by 576i up to 720 by 576i. It is still SD. It would make a big difference and worth while. Who do we even ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Elmo wrote: »
    It is a strange re-brand. While I don't think this will really be problematic for Virgin Media one, I think Virgin Media TWO and THREE will have to be careful as they really are just repeats of English channels, the Identity looks like an English Opt-Out.

The News programmes are very generic, in terms of graphics.

The DOGs/BUGs are purely their for the Virgin Media logo, Why they didn't opt to have the logo wrap around the numbers 1, 2 and 3, example below has words but you get what I mean. Oddly they have logos without the words Virgin Media which would suit!

438315.png

tv-guide-one-logo.png

tv-guide-two-logo.png

tv-guide-three-logo.png

The first on-screen logo was for Virgin was the Virgin tv channel some years back in the UK.

This would be a good logo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Ident police will be having a field day with the size of them badboys on the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

To quote Helen Lovejoy "Won't somebody please think of the OLEDs?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

I don't have access to eir Vision or Vodafone TV so don't know what their changes were

Worth noting a Saorview retune may be needed on the cheaper branded TVs as they don't seem to automatically update name changes unfortunately

on evision just a straight channel name swap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Nice studio for Ireland am

• Registered Users Posts: 10,385 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The DOG for their news last night was smaller and down in bottom left. Worked better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

dulpit wrote: »
    The DOG for their news last night was smaller and down in bottom left. Worked better.

Agree, worked much better. Those displays are just wrong. Have some of the programmes onVM2/3 (be3/3e) swapped around ? The 10 pm news used be on the old be3 but now it’s on the old 3e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

What number is virgin sport ? I can’t seem to find it!

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    What number is virgin sport ? I can’t seem to find it!

Launches in mid-September

Advertisement