Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Back on topic (and in English) please, or I start handing out bans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

xtal191 wrote: »
    Wont these ridiculous logos cause burn-in on some TVs oled, plasma etc?

I doubt anyone will watch any of these channels long enough for it to be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

i'm starting to not notice the logos so much now as at the beginning ... unless my eyeball skits up to the top right purposely.

but do you know what these TV stations should do when they have their logos like this is shift the pixels of the logo 1 or 2 pixels every minute or so, so there will be less chance of burn-in on viewers TV's - I dont know whether it would work but its worth a try - it would be so slight it would be un-noticeable to the human eye I should think.

I had a plasma TV once (or it might have been LCD) where you went into the TV setup menu and prevent burn in by moving the whole screen a couple of pixels a minute to prevent burn-in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭deezell

i'm starting to not notice the logos so much now as at the beginning ... unless my eyeball skits up to the top right purposely.

but do you know what these TV stations should do when they have their logos like this is shift the pixels of the logo 1 or 2 pixels every minute or so, so there will be less chance of burn-in on viewers TV's - I dont know whether it would work but its worth a try - it would be so slight it would be un-noticeable to the human eye I should think.

I had a plasma TV once (or it might have been LCD) where you went into the TV setup menu and prevent burn in by moving the whole screen a couple of pixels a minute to prevent burn-in

Logo would need to move by its entire size to fully prevent burn in, and Mea Culpa to the Mod for the Irish joke. Oops. Thats Latin. On a serious note, you could have the whole Gaelic fanatic movement down on your head for going as far as issuing publishing bans. Me, I was battered senseless in the pursuit of learning Irish as a kid. I didn't (learn), but it's fun to Google translate things like ' Virgin Media', shows how ludicrous it would be if regulators insisted on full translation quota. Imagine the continuity having to say, " agus anois, ar Mhaighdean Meáin ahaoin, Sraid Coronation". Oddly enough, it's Welsh and Irish/Gaelic broadcasts on TG4, Alba and S4C that are keeping a lot of the pro14 FTA, so maybe Mhai... I mean Virgin could do a bit of this if they wanted with their content, broadcast mandatory FTA sport only in irish but on PPV stream in English, kind of like a ryanair money makiing stunt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That show 'The Town' they did on Portlaoise the other night was one of the best things I have seen on Irish TV.

• Advertisement

Take a 48 hour ban Deezel for ignoring two warnings and going off topic to boot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

spurious wrote: »
    That show 'The Town' they did on Portlaoise the other night was one of the best things I have seen on Irish TV.

I never knew it was on. But saw a bit of it on gogglebox and looked great. I must watch it on the player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Is virgin sports a separate channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭lertsnim

thesultan wrote: »
    Is virgin sports a separate channel?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

What number is it?

• Advertisement

It’s not launched yet, September 18th (Tuesday week). But since it hasn’t launched yet, there’s a whole pile of UEFA Nations League football on VM3 over the next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

They've an excellent opportunity to come up with a real personality for the channels as part of this rebrand. My view of it is they need better, and less annoying, idents and logos.

If they're insistent on using the DOG, it needs to be more subtle and less hostile to plasmas and OLEDs. There are alternatives, for example just using the Virgin ∞ icon and a number in a very transparent DOG might be more than enough. Once they're allowing pixel colour changes to appear through the DOG, then there's less risk of burn in issues. The problem is any kind of sold bloc that doesn't change. The DOG can be done in such a way that it's more of a filter over the constantly changing background video from the TV channel, so its basically always changing itself, just modifying the image below.

They need to be a proper bouquet of channels with individual personalities too. Otherwise, I can't really see why I would watch Virgin 1 as opposed to 2 or 3. It's just a big mishmash of almost exclusively ITV programming.

Branding up a TV station is a lot more artistic and creative than branding an ISP or cable operator. They'd just want to be aware of that.

Also, I don't really see why Virgin Media Ireland couldn't develop a far more sophisticated brand than its UK counterpart as it's a much more complex offering, with its own content from TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

lertsnim wrote: »
    Yes.

Whatever will Virgin Media Sport air all the time it's not airing games? It has very few rights as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Picture quality on Virgin 3 on Sky for the Ger v Fra game is scandalous...

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

irishfeen wrote: »
    Picture quality on Virgin 3 on Sky for the Ger v Fra game is scandalous...

Germany: ZDF HD Astra 1 19e

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

lgs 4 wrote: »
    Germany: ZDF HD Astra 1 19e

Or Sky Sports Mix HD right alongside Virgin 3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

The feed is from ZDF HD and its free, been ripped off by sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭lertsnim

RTE News Now is beside Virgin Media 3 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

They've listened to reason and all the complaints to be fair to them, all the DOGS have been reduced in size. Still big, but definitely an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The new Virgin Media Player (replacing tv3), does it have chromecast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

galtee boy wrote: »
    They've listened to reason and all the complaints to be fair to them, all the DOGS have been reduced in size. Still big, but definitely an improvement.

And would help if they were closer to the top right-hand corner

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

The VM2 logo is grand, one and three could do the same, and all made even smaller.

The VM2 logo is grand, one and three could do the same, and all made even smaller.

HD now should be coming next.

And would help if they were closer to the top right-hand corner

Virgin 2 and 3 have just been moved right into the corner. Virgin 1 hasn't been moved into the corner yet though.

Virgin 2 and 3 have just been moved right into the corner. Virgin 1 hasn't been moved into the corner yet though.

Somebody must be bored in Virgin on a Friday evening, the Virgin 3 dog has come out of the corner again, they are obviously playing around with it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Somebody must be bored in Virgin on a Friday evening, the Virgin 3 dog has come out of the corner again, they are obviously playing around with it at the moment.
    Such amateurs.

I moved my channels around manually, I put TG4 on no.3 and VMT 1,2&3 on 4,5&6 respectively. Its the only useless bit of information I have for you.

Nothing too exciting about VMTV so far, so bored I decided to switch channels around again, VM1 on 3, VM2 on 4, VM3 on 5 and TG4 on 6. Think I need to get out for a pint more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Any sign of the Virgin Media Sports channel listings? Digiguide doesn't seem to have the channel listed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Any sign of the Virgin Media Sports channel listings? Digiguide doesn't seem to have the channel listed yet.

• Advertisement

I’d have thought they’d have had something of a proper launch for it by now, but maybe not.

Meanwhile, viewers in the U.K. are getting this:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/tv/4k-ultra-hd.html

VM Ireland doesn’t do 4K, so it won’t be available here. Interesting though as I don’t think House of Cards US has got a traditional TV airing before in a country where Netflix was available when it launched.

Advertisement