Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 davey85

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    What number is virgin sport ? I can’t seem to find it!

It's not launching til late September as far as I know

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

18th September, on the Virgin Media cable tv platform only and via the Virgin TV anywhere app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Schwanz wrote: »
    Ident police will be having a field day with the size of them badboys on the screen

Could the reason of the size be so they can be seen on phones easier? especially as they seem to be pushing the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Could the reason of the size be so they can be seen on phones easier? especially as they seem to be pushing the app.

I'll bet a weeks wages it is so the virgin media logo can be seen on the DOGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

God, that large Ident over on the top right of the screen is grating with me already - its so large and in yer face!! - hope they make it less intrusive soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephend2000

Just watched the weather on News at 8. They don’t use a green screen, instead they have about 12 panels behind the weatherman which looks absolutely terrible. There’s a bunch of lines where the bezel of the panel is and the glare from the studio lights is clearly visible. The colors also look pretty bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

The news titles just look really, really tacky.

It's reminding me of 1980s American TV

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Just watched the weather on News at 8. They don’t use a green screen, instead they have about 12 panels behind the weatherman which looks absolutely terrible. There’s a bunch of lines where the bezel of the panel is and the glare from the studio lights is clearly visible. The colors also look pretty bad

This has been the case season since the introduction of the new TV3 news set, the use The “video wall”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Anna D is still on. All is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

The new news headlines music really doesn't suite the news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I don't like the new VM news titles either. It sounds quite overpowering on the ears. I thought the old title music they previously had sounded better than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I think it's the 'brash' (ugly) branding that they have tended to use i.e. big chunky logos and tons of red that just doesn't translate into a good media brand.

Sky looks far, far slicker. Even Eir does.

I just can't see this new look really working for what was TV3.

Nothing about it is really making me think 'this is a serious tv network'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Has to be one of the most unpopular rebrands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Has to be one of the most unpopular rebrands.

- Most people couldnt care less once they can find Coronation Street,Emmerdale, This Morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Nothing about it is really making me think 'this is a serious tv network'

But does it make you think 'I would like to subscribe to Virgin Media'? That's what they want from this after all.

lertsnim wrote: »
    But does it make you think 'I would like to subscribe to Virgin Media'? That's what they want from this after all.

This. This is what the rebrand is all about. This and only this.

icdg wrote: »
    This. This is what the rebrand is all about. This and only this.

Unless your going to define the channels and be clear what each are for your unlikely to get more people to subscribe.

I didn’t think that TV3 could get much worse.

While Virgin Media one hasn’t changed, the rebranding highlights how weak the service is.

Through out this thread 3e had us complaining that it was subpar to Channel6 but I’d say Virgin Media TWO is even worse.

Virgin Media THREE meantime looks like an after thought. Both in terms of branding & identity.

It’s strange to think that Marple and Poirto reside on both TWO & THREE along with Big Brother.

Really VM TWO is VM one 7 and VM THREE is VM TWO select !!!! (4 Seven/5 Select)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Elmo wrote: »
    Unless your going to define the channels and be clear what each are for your unlikely to get more people to subscribe.

I didn’t think that TV3 could get much worse.

While Virgin Media one hasn’t changed, the rebranding highlights how weak the service is.

Through out this thread 3e had us complaining that it was subpar to Channel6 but I’d say Virgin Media TWO is even worse.

Virgin Media THREE meantime looks like an after thought. Both in terms of branding & identity.

It’s strange to think that Marple and Poirto reside on both TWO & THREE along with Big Brother.

Really VM Two is VM one 7 and VM THREE is VM TWO select !!!! (4 Seven/5 Select)

If the Virgin Channels bouquet wanted to be a top-class entertainments network spend money.There is a lot of top-class programming out there from e.g. Discovery World, Da Vinci Learning, DMAX Europe, History Europe, Viasat Nature. If they got off their fat ass in Ballymount and started bidding for the program rights. Not rebroadcasting the ITV network in SD on Soarview. Because it,s cheap and no effort needed.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Elmo wrote: »

Let's take tomorrow daytime.

VM One: This Morning, The Chase, Elaine, Judge Judy, Zoo Days
    VM Two: Jeremy Kyle Show, The Secret Chef, Loose Women, Emmerdale, Coronation Street, Tipping Point, The Chase
    VM Three: Babushka, Jeremy Kyle Show USA, Who's Doing The Dishes?, Judge Rinder, The Royal, BBQ Champ

I have idea what is the difference between these shows. All the same type of quiz shows, talk shows and soaps over the 3 channels and all aiming for the same audience target.
    From 10am to 11pm, VM3 is showing all ITV Studios programming - that's 13 hours!
    From 7:30am-9pm, VM2 are showing ITV Studios programming - that's 12 and a half hours straight.

Or lets look at it another way - there are 4 programmes which aren't ITV Studios programming - Xpose, Airline US, Late News and Big Brother which are on VM2 tomorrow. 3 programmes on VM3 which aren't ITV Studios all day - Elaine, Nothing To Declare and Big Brother BOTS.

That's just disgraceful, embarrassing and lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

To be expected 3 player is gone off Samsung bluray but has not been replaced with VM player, will it happen, how long of a wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭deezell

lgs 4 wrote: »
    If the Virgin Channels bouquet wanted to be a top-class entertainments network spend money.There is a lot of top-class programming out there from e.g. Discovery World, Da Vinci Learning, DMAX Europe, History Europe, Viasat Nature. If they got off their fat ass in Ballymount and started bidding for the program rights. Not rebroadcasting the ITV network in SD on Soarview. Because it,s cheap and no effort needed.:mad:

They're not interested in educating you. It's all about the money. Grab the exclusive rights to as much sport as possible, broadcast it in the cheapest way possible, add in pay per view streams for the most exclusive stuff and sit back and count the cash. Give some junior the job of filling in the gaps with mind numbing tripe outside of the cash cow. You want informative material? Read a book. This is tabloid TV at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

deezell wrote: »
    They're not interested in educating you. It's all about the money. Grab the exclusive rights to as much sport as possible, broadcast it in the cheapest way possible, add in pay per view streams for the most exclusive stuff and sit back and count the cash. Give some junior the job of filling in the gaps with mind-numbing tripe outside of the cash cow. You want informative material? Read a book. This is tabloid TV at its best.

Trash Television

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

So which is worser - TV3 or Virgin Media Television?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

So which is worser worse - TV3 or Virgin Media Television?

VM at the moment because of their large overpowering DOG on the top right of the screen ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭deezell

VM at the moment because of their large overpowering DOG on the top right of the screen ....

Helps to distract from the dogsh*t underneath.

As I said on a different thread, that DOG is far from being the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

any time u put on tv 3 oop.s sorry virgin media 1 with the name in the right hand corner of the screen glaring at ye the chase is on or tipping point the channels are getting like ground hog day

From traditional broadcasters they are the worst by far.

Not a case of just educating an audience but also being clear as to what each channel is aimed to do.

Channel 5 is clearly tabloid but there channels are clearly identifiable e.g 5star youth, 5spike male, 5USA imports, 5select docs and drama. Okay there part of a bigger group Viacom ... but so are Virgin Media!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

I moved my channels around manually, I put TG4 on no.3 and VMT 1,2&3 on 4,5&6 respectively. Its the only useless bit of information I have for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I moved my channels around manually, I put TG4 on no.3 and VMT 1,2&3 on 4,5&6 respectively. Its the only useless bit of information I have for you.

On what? Saorview?

Advertisement