Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

This "not getting over the line" stuff is nonsense. Up until last year Cork were dirt (by their own usual standards). They should/could of won it this year and last, but weren't expected to, they are still a team building. If they are a work in progress and still on an upward trajectory, you'd expect it to be next year where they'll really peak. Judge them then. I'd put my house on Cork to win it next year. Remember, this in only the second year that Cork have been serious contenders for a decade, but the sleeping giant has now awoken. The fans shouldn't undermine that progress by unwittingly creating a psychological block about the team not being able to "get over the line", that soundbite is gaining traction and may well feed into the team's mentality. Without that, there is a few all-Ireland's in this Cork team, be patient

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

A lack of strength in depth caught up with Cork this year.Bringing on two injured players in extra time against Limerick being a case in point.

Others may argue that if Gillane had taken his goal chances the game would be over at half time and there would be no need to bring on injured players in extra time. Swings and roundabouts really. Similar has happened to Limerick down through the years but we had to grin and bear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

washman3 wrote: »
    Others may argue that if Gillane had taken his goal chances the game would be over at half time and there would be no need to bring on injured players in extra time. Swings and roundabouts really. Similar has happened to Limerick down through the years but we had to grin and bear it.

Well hopefully it will drive Cork on next year.The beauty of it, is that there is very little between the main competitors in hurling.Enjoy it while ye have it.;)

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

This "not getting over the line" stuff is nonsense. Up until last year Cork were dirt (by their own usual standards). They should/could of won it this year and last, but weren't expected to, they are still a team building. If they are a work in progress and still on an upward trajectory, you'd expect it to be next year where they'll really peak. Judge them then. I'd put my house on Cork to win it next year. Remember, this in only the second year that Cork have been serious contenders for a decade, but the sleeping giant has now awoken. The fans shouldn't undermine that progress by unwittingly creating a psychological block about the team not being able to "get over the line", that soundbite is gaining traction and may well feed into the team's mentality. Without that, there is a few all-Ireland's in this Cork team, be patient

Not a soundbite though

Interesting a Tipp man coming out at the end yesterday stated that those Cork players were losers all the way up the line and that nothing has changed

Take that Under 21 team

Lost to Tipp at 14,15,16 and lost to Limerick at minor whilst hitting 15 wides

Then we had a minor team 6 points up against Tipp playing at home yet we crumbled and lost by 6

All of the other Munster counties are used to beating us when the game is on the line

It's hard to turn around when you have days like yesterday

I knew we were in trouble in the first minute when Dalton was fouled and not one Cork player made an issue with the Tipp corner forward who basically took him out

We weren't up for a fight

Why we didn’t take the corner forward out in injury time I don’t know. Rugby tackle him like their midfielder did to Fitz at the end and conceded a point

We were out fought for the majority of the game which is awful in an All Ireland Final

We didn’t get enough out of so called senior players and the entire full forward line could have been taken off at half time

Lack of subs prob indicates lack of trust in bench players and we def didn’t move quick enough

Tipp made their full use of subs

Cork hurlers have lost the knack of closing out tight games

1 pt up in injury time and the crowd behind them not to see it out is terrible

That was a badly needed result for Cork. Nobody fears us anymore

Lovely wristy hurlers but that alone won’t win games. We need to add physicality and workrate to our teams

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Felt the exact same when Dalton was fouled. The first tackle was a foul the second tackle set the tone. The ref should have booked him, he didn't. It was clear as day Cork players should have 'gone in ', they didn't. It was clear as day who wanted it more and they won.
    Role reversal, Cork foward gets the ball in injury time to bear down on goal, every Tip defender would have taken him out had they the chance, we didn't. Awful game to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Zoncolon

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    On Thursday evening a preliminary team was decided, with David Griffin starting at FB. Friday afternoon the selectors decided to replace him with Cashman, and announced the team at a meeting in the Rochestown Park. Upon hearing that Griffin wasn’t playing, senior members of the team reportedly refused to play unless he played. They confronted the selectors and ultimately the selectors really didn’t have a choice.

Thats what I’ve been told.
    I can confirm this also. But as late as Saturday evening

Christ that's disappointing if those rumours are true

Players can't dictate a team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Well hopefully it will drive Cork on next year.The beauty of it, is that there is very little between the main competitors in hurling.Enjoy it while ye have it.;)

We will enjoy it indeed. it was a long wait. Despite what some argue,it was a deserved A.I. win. Got the lucky breaks required along the way just like many previous winners. The good run will come to an end, it always does, and I for one will be gracious in accepting defeat to a better team rather than using every excuse under the rising sun why we lost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

washman3 wrote: »
    We will enjoy it indeed. it was a long wait. Despite what some argue,it was a deserved A.I. win. Got the lucky breaks required along the way just like many previous winners. The good run will come to an end, it always does, and I for one will be gracious in accepting defeat to a better team rather than using every excuse under the rising sun why we lost.

I think you are misinterpreting a lot of posts. People are outlining Corks deficiencies, where we went wrong, what we should have done etc that's critical thinking. You can be gracious in defeat and be critical of your own team, they are not mutually exclusive.

Which team had the better hurlers? I think Cork did. But that doesn't necessarily win you an All Ireland Final- there's more to it than that and Tip yesterday proved it. Cork are lacking in a number of other areas, as outlined by several other posters and they are perfectly correct.
    It would be remiss of us as fans not to highlight these deficiencies, that's not being Ungracious in defeat, it's simply telling the truth as people see it.
    Tipp won and are deserving winners. Cork have no one to blame but themselves as we are lacking in what it takes to close out big games, as proven unfortunately, at several levels over the years.
    Be as gracious as you want but kindly note the distinction between graciousness and critical thinking, as in my opinion, both are important and have a place in both victory and defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Historically it has proven v difficult to beat the same team twice in the championship and so it proved again yesterday. Tipp had massive motivation and hunger coming into the game whereas Cork having already beaten them by 13 pats were naturally complacent.
    With so few competitive hurling counties at the top level, the new structures mean rematches are inevitable and the beaten team always has the advantage on the second day.
    The beauty of championship hurling was that it was all on the day, do or die, no second chance. Provincial winners are at a disadvantage when they have to face the same opponents further down the line in the All Ireland series.
    Tipp deserved their win yesterday but unless it reverts to straight knockout, what is the point in winning a Munster hurling title at any grade.
    There is something seriously wrong with a structure when a team is better off losing a provincial final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Congrats to Tipp!
    I was at the game myself aswell, I thought tipp were a bit cuter at times, they ran at cork for the three goals
    cork defence far too nice for the goals, as somebody mentioned earlier, somebody should have hauled down that tipp forward at the end, worth a card for it, worst case a extra time draw match,

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Congrats to Tipp!
    I was at the game myself aswell, I thought tipp were a bit cuter at times, they ran at cork for the three goals
    cork defence far too nice for the goals, as somebody mentioned earlier, somebody should have hauled down that tipp forward at the end, worth a card for it, worst case a extra time draw match,

Very good last post imo.

Had it been a Tipp or Kilkenny back he would have been hacked down.

We are not just too soft, we are too nice.

Same in 2013 final. That Clare forward might have got 1 goal v Clare but no way would he have got 3 against KK or Tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Zoncolon wrote: »
    I can confirm this also. But as late as Saturday evening

Yeah time doesn't really matter, either way very very disappointing from the team.

Lads threatening to pull out of an All Ireland final the day before? .... shows where their heads were at

Where are we going when our players think that's acceptable?

If that story is true

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

We clearly went into this game just expecting to turn up and win ,it never works out like that.Fair play to tipp they fought like dogs.we just didnt get the luck either if Kingstons shot goes in we probaly drive on and win the game by 4 or 5 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

Congrats to Tipp!

Happened in first half. Tim O Mahoney was clean through on goal and was hauled down Result saving of certain goal. Yellow card for Tipp. We have to learn to be cynical.

You shouldn't need to tell that to intercounty under 21s

FFS an under 12 should know that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Same as last year in the minor expecting the cup to be handed out sorry lads tradition doesn’t count for much in hurling these dsys. The chasing pack have arrived and have their houses in order which cork don’t. Not a hope you would have won the senior this year either. Limerick only needed to steady the ship to win and even a tired injured Galway would have tossed ye aside. Only county that can bank on tradition is Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Any idea what kind of team UCC will be putting out in the SHC at the weekend??

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭conor05

leestone wrote: »
    Same as last year in the minor expecting the cup to be handed out sorry lads tradition doesn’t count for much in hurling these dsys. The chasing pack have arrived and have their houses in order which cork don’t. Not a hope you would have won the senior this year either. Limerick only needed to steady the ship to win and even a tired injured Galway would have tossed ye aside. Only county that can bank on tradition is Kilkenny.

Young players nowadays don’t buy into or care about facing the traditional counties. That fear is dead and buried because Limerick, Galway and Clare have been doing very well at Under 21 and going into the senior set ups full of confidence.
    They are not traditionally in the top 3 but they will win the next few All Ireland’s I feel.
    Cork are producing a certain type of hurler nowadays, supreme stickwork and fitness but not a lot of fire in the belly when the chips are down.

• Advertisement

Very good last post imo.

Same in 2013 final. That Clare forward might have got 1 goal v Clare but no way would he have got 3 against KK or Tipp.

And who can forget Johnny Glynn walking through four Cork defenders tapping the ball on his hurl and lifted it over another defenders head before slamming it to the net.

Not producing these ruthless hurlers that’s needed to land the trophies!

conor05 wrote: »
    Very good last post imo.

And who can forget Johnny Glynn walking through the Cork defender tapping the ball on his hurler and lifted it over another defenders head before slamming it to the net.

Not producing these ruthless hurlers that’s needed to land the trophies!
    Glynns goal was disgracefully easy that time, the KK/Tipp's would have taken the legs from under him, no doubt about it!!

Gillane should have had a bucket full of goals against Kilkenny and Cork.
    He completely destroyed both defenders in each game but kept dropping his hurl as soon as he won the ball.

leestone wrote: »
    I reckon Galway would have beaten us in the final had we got there aswell, as a cork man it pains to say it but im getting used to cork losing on the bigger ocassions, hope it changes soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I reckon Galway would have beaten us in the final had we got there aswell, as a cork man it pains to say it but im getting used to cork losing on the bigger ocassions, hope it changes soon :)

Absolute rubbish.
    Galway have been in 25 finals and won 5 .
    Their record against Cork in finals is abysmal.
    2018 final was one of the poorest ever with both teams shooting 30 wides between them.
    Cork would have destroyed Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »

Absolute rubbish.
    2018 final was one of the poorest ever with both teams shooting 30 wides between them.

I hope you are trolling or at least being tounge in cheek r was your first sentence a heading and you forgot to underline it??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish.

Cork last played Galway in a final in 2005. None of those players are involved anymore, on either panel. Previous games are no indicator of future games, it's pointless when people bring them up. Galway would have been favourites if they played this year. Sure, Cork could have won but to say definitively that cork would have "destroyed" Galway is just silly.

The u21s hammered Tipp only a matter of weeks ago yet lost on Sunday. There's no logic can be applied to this, its just how hurling goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Ompala

dulux99 wrote: »
    Cork last played Galway in a final in 2005. None of those players are involved anymore, on either panel. Previous games are no indicator of future games, it's pointless when people bring them up. Galway would have been favourites if they played this year. Sure, Cork could have won but to say definitively that cork would have "destroyed" Galway is just silly.

The u21s hammered Tipp only a matter of weeks ago yet lost on Sunday. There's no logic can be applied to this, its just how hurling goes.

Tbf, Tipp changed a third of their team from the munster final. Also, everyone points to Cork bottling the final... anyone consider that Tipp maybe badly bottled the munster final?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Ompala wrote: »
    Tbf, Tipp changed a third of their team from the munster final. Also, everyone points to Cork bottling the final... anyone consider that Tipp maybe badly bottled the munster final?

My point was comparing a cork and galway final from 2005 to a potential game 13 years later is stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Ompala

dulux99 wrote: »
    My point was comparing a cork and galway final from 2005 to a potential game 13 years later is stupid.

Agreed.

Advertisement