Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

typical by Cork. what is wrong today with this team? they beat Tipp by 13 points earlier on in the year. Disgrace they are in a levels and to lose the game like that. We arent goin to win all Ireland if we cant finish team when they have them. What a $hite year for Cork gaa

Whats wrong is your expectation that you should win just because you're Cork

Celebrate that you have some good hurlers coming through and that you got to the last ever U21 Final and that you got to an AI Senior semi final as well and lost to the eventual winners

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

We have become a county of losers. We should be senior and u21 champions and we are neither. When the going gets tough we blow it. Inexcusable that we started the second half as we did. We should have been putting the match to bed in that quarter, not losing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Whats wrong is your expectation that you should win just because you're Cork

Celebrate that you have some good hurlers coming through and that you got to the last ever U21 Final and that you got to an AI Senior semi final as well and lost to the eventual winners

That's no good if they can't win silverware with all this so called good hurlers coming through. They are waiting 20 years for an All Ireland at u21 and counting. I'm from Kerry by the way but I support the Cork hurlers because I work and live in Cork. Disappointed with the result for Cork. Corks hurling record in Gaelic Grounds is never good.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Woeful...what has happened to Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Bottled it. How Shane Kingston made the senior team this year is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Ah stall on. It seems to be feast or famine here!!

We played well and its not like we were 10 points up and gave it away.We are still Munster Champions and we will get a lot of players for the Seniors through them.

A few key times there with the misses to go a couple of points up and an awful goal cost us. Maybe a better/stricter ref might have helped us but thats out of our control.Kingston had an off day too and when he is Captain it doesn't help at all that he is not playing well.

Not getting over the line is sickening alright but we have a lot of promising players coming through. Cahalane was great today. Turnbull is just back after a cruciate etc

Its def another one that got away so it seems to hurt a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

That's no good if they can't win silverware with all this so called good hurlers coming through. They are waiting 20 years for an All Ireland at u21 and counting. I'm from Kerry by the way but I support the Cork hurlers because I work and live in Cork. Disappointed with the result for Cork. Corks hurling record in Gaelic Grounds is never good.

The count is over as the U21 Championship is no more

As for waiting 20 years, this years team was the best they had in a while, the issues seems to be deeper than teams not having mental strength. With such a big pick i think part of the problem is not developing players early enough or developing the wrong type of player. Too much emphasis on size and athleticism from too early a stage.

Tipp hit a lot of poor wides as well, Coleman should have seen red, unlikely Cork would have won with 14.

I’m after hearing some really shocking news about an incident within the team that happened Friday and I really hope it’s not true, because if it is the whole team should be ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    I’m after hearing some really shocking news about an incident within the team that happened Friday and I really hope it’s not true, because if it is the whole team should be ashamed.

No point in posting that unless you feel like expanding on it. Either make the allegation or dont. Very unfair to suggest wrongdoing if you are unwilling to stand over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

What happened?

• Advertisement

On Thursday evening a preliminary team was decided, with David Griffin starting at FB. Friday afternoon the selectors decided to replace him with Cashman, and announced the team at a meeting in the Rochestown Park. Upon hearing that Griffin wasn’t playing, senior members of the team reportedly refused to play unless he played. They confronted the selectors and ultimately the selectors really didn’t have a choice.

Thats what I’ve been told.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Awful game of hurling to lose. Very poor opening 15, only 1 point scored, great turn around to lead by 2 at ht. Awful start to the second half. We should have pulled away but instead fell behind again. Not sure why we persisted with short puckouts in the second half, 5 or 6 balls that should have landed 30 yards from their goal ended up putting us under pressure on our 45.
    Too many players not performing as we had hoped they would. That goal at the end, awful defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Where in name of God were the forwards tonight?

We have some lovely Hurlers but we have no Dirmuid Sullivan or Gardiner.

We lack those 3 or 4 players who die for Jersey. We are too soft.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Also, not sure how it came across on tv but I thought the ref may have well stayed at home, left everything go.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Also, not sure how it came across on tv but I thought the ref may have well stayed at home, left everything go.

Coleman should have been sent off but got wrong player for 2nd yellow. But thought he gave Cork nothing too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Outrageous challenge on Dalton that got no yellow card in the opening minutes. Then he missed the free.

Things like that only serve to spur Tipp on which it has. Very annoying

Ref is leaving everything go it seems
    ref is leaving everything go!!
    Very disappointing.

Ref was just leaving everything go. Coleman should have seen red but Tipp were fouling constantly. Dalton had fellas hanging off him all the time but got nothing.

The goal Cork gave away at the end was really awful. Numerous chances to clear it.Not going to win games like that
    ShamoBuc wrote: »

I'm glad you said it too ShamoBuc as I was saying it straight away here. Drove me mad.

We have become a county of losers. We should be senior and u21 champions and we are neither. When the going gets tough we blow it. Inexcusable that we started the second half as we did. We should have been putting the match to bed in that quarter, not losing it.

A little harsh and after defeat it stings bit more.

But I do think we have got a mentality that's not strong enough and we lack bottle alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Ompala

I'm glad you said it too ShamoBuc as I was saying it straight away here. Drove me mad.

Yeah, he definitely should have been dishing out a few more cards. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the game flowing than stopping for a free every 20 seconds, but there were a lot of tackles from players tonight that should have been called. When the ref didn't call Morris's shoulder early on into Dalton, it set the tone for the night.

Commiserations anyways guys, still have some good players off that team to come up to senior. Thought it was a little unfair to bring on Turnbull after being out for so long and only just out of minor, but is a serious talent all the same.

Nobody talking about the fact that there was basically a coup d’etât in the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

This is a very disappointing defeat.An underage all Ireland would have been a huge boost for Cork hurling.There is talent in the team, but we seem to have lost that Cork tradition of cuteness and seeing out a game at both senior and underage level.This defeat is a sickener, and it will take the lads time to get over it.Oh well hopefully the memory of both the senior semi final against Limerick and this evening, will drive the lads on to prove a point in 2019.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Nobody talking about the fact that there was basically a coup d’etât in the team?

What's your source like? Because it sounds like typical made up nonsense that you hear after a bad loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I've asked a person I know pretty close to the current set up about the incident on Friday and he'd heard nothing about it. That's not to say it didn't happen of course but this guy would tell me if he knew.

Why was it delayed by 10 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

lads ye will kill a good team with momentum if ye keep thinking like this , ye won the munster this year injuries killed ye in the semi final and ye would have beaten galway in the final had that not happened , myler is a top man have patence lads ye have plenty of ammo

What's your source like? Because it sounds like typical made up nonsense that you hear after a bad loss.

I’ve heard it from at least 3 different people. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was true, it was clear from the start that Griffin was a weak link.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

This loss hurts more than the limerick game.A win today was paramount for cork hurling,fair play to tipp they showed more hunger and spirit but there not a special side they were there for the taking and we kept making silly errors.There is a softness to cork teams that just wont win you all irelands im afraid,we have lovely hurlers but we are lacking warriors to close out games such as Niall mc or Sean og.Nonetheless we should be very competitive at under 20 next year and some of these u21s can be added to the senior panel so were not too far away.Rebels Abu!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

so were not too far away.Rebels Abu!

I hate saying it but until they get over the line with a win in an All Ireland final they will always be so far away. This is something that needs to be addressed pretty soon. The senior team will soon hit 20 years without success if they don't close this one out. Cork hurling is not what it was one time ago. I dont know what is being done to solve this in Cork GAA circles. If player favourism is still alive in the county like before and Cork arent picking their best players then they should expect notbing. Producing great players is good but not as good as winning championships. Thats all that supporters will remember. Winning is everything not just filling up the numbers. This was a great U21 team for 2018 but they didn't get over the line and that's all everyone in Cork will remember them for. They did their best i am certain but it wasn't good enough and that is the reality. Really disappointing. Roll on 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

I’ve heard it from at least 3 different people. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was true, it was clear from the start that Griffin was a weak link.

Cork FB line was very poor all through. Mgmt should have stuck to their guns re: team selection if rumours turn out to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

lads ye will kill a good team with momentum if ye keep thinking like this , ye won the munster this year injuries killed ye in the semi final and ye would have beaten galway in the final had that not happened.

Do you think/believe that Cork's full back and centre back would've performed better than Casey and Hannon did for Limerick.?
    You must have been watching a different Cork team than me all summer if you do.
    Canning and Glynn would have an absolute field day against those two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

washman3 wrote: »
    Do you think/believe that Cork's full back and centre back would've performed better than Casey and Hannon did for Limerick.?
    You must have been watching a different Cork team than me all summer if you do.
    Canning and Glynn would have an absolute field day against those two.

A lack of strength in depth caught up with Cork this year.Bringing on two injured players in extra time against Limerick being a case in point.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Advertisement