Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

djPSB wrote: »
    Who Babs or Gavin?

Gavin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Pogue eile wrote: »
    Babs is a complete waste of oxygen and that sentiment is consistent from all counties, including his own. But Gavin is also a bitter clown nd his articles are a disgrace.

Dont agree,he calls it exactly like it is.
    I guess you have your own agenda!
    What agenda? You do know exactly why he is writing this column I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Robson99

But Gavin is also a bitter clown nd his articles are a disgrace.

Think his article was spot on in fairness. Owens was poor from word go.

Robson99 wrote: »
    But Gavin is also a bitter clown nd his articles are a disgrace.

Think his article was spot on in fairness. Owens was poor from word go.
    Not arguing that to be honest and yes he was poor, for both teams I might add and I dont think he affected the result to be honest.

Gavin is just a bitter ex ref who is on a sulk akin to what McGrath did, he perceives that he was shafted and is airing his dirty laundry in public. Who else would right a weekely column where without fail he criticises his ex colleagues without fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭C__MC

Not arguing that to be honest and yes he was poor, for both teams I might add and I dont think he affected the result to be honest.

Gavin is just a bitter ex ref who is on a sulk akin to what McGrath did, he perceives that he was shafted and is airing his dirty laundry in public. Who else would right a weekely column where without fail he criticises his ex colleagues without fail.

I really disagree when people say it didn’t effect the result. The two goals limerick got are frees- it’s not even worth arguing. You can’t push someone over and take 8 steps. These are basic rules. Limerick were the better team both those calls were shocking on all Ireland final day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

C__MC wrote: »
    I really disagree when people say it didn’t effect the result. The two goals limerick got are frees- it’s not even worth arguing. You can’t push someone over and take 8 steps. These are basic rules. Limerick were the better team both those calls were shocking on all Ireland final day.

To quote Brian Cody "are you to check all the other frees to see if they were dodgy also?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭Redo91

Awful turnout here. We're a county of sunshiners tbh in both codes.
    It was on at an awful time to be fair. I don’t finish work until 5:30 in Athlone so I was never going to make it since they were going to be there on time. Had they won you can be guaranteed they would have been at least an hour behind schedule so I’d have had some chance then.

The foul on Mannion for first goal was a real killer. After the slow start we had outscored Limerick 0-6 to 0-2. A blind man would have seen the push on the back
    Didn't think the steps were as obvious. The problem with that goal was that Mac got a harsh yellow in the first half and couldn't pull Morrisey down when he lost the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭threeball

They were shocking calls as was the Glynn one but we really didn't deserve to win or even draw. Everything we touched on Sunday fell to sh1t. First touch, basic passing, tracking men. Nothing went right. Even the extra time was less than should have been played given all the stoppages but it still didn't matter. In truth we were miles off the pace.
    It was a horrible refereeing performance, you are correct on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭C__MC

James mc Grath was loving it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,322 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The foul on Mannion for first goal was a real killer. After the slow start we had outscored Limerick 0-6 to 0-2. A blind man would have seen the push on the back
    Didn't think the steps were as obvious. The problem with that goal was that Mac got a harsh yellow in the first half and couldn't pull Morrisey down when he lost the ball

Was a perfect shoulder he was carded for too.

Mannion took a shoulder into the back before the first goal and Owens waved play on.

Not that we deserved it anyway but some very poor decisions and costly ones too.

He was carded for his reaction to both the Limerick player and the referee, Duignan was too busy talking shi*e to even pick it up on commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Rewatched the match again today and that was the turning point tbh. We were on top, getting scores and had settled - they looked slightly nervous. That goal gave Limerick a massive shot in the arm and sank us.

Should have been a free out on Mannion, but for the life of me I don't know what the **** Skehill was at for it, if he stood still on the line he'd have stopped it. Mulcahy had lost control of the ball when Skehill came flying out, we should have had that under control.

Anyways we didn't deserve it based on the following 50 mins of hurling, too many lads just didn't show up. They're young enough to learn and come back but we need a few of that U-21 side/others to step up and put lads under pressure for places.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭orl

There was a shove on the back of a Limerick back before the only Galway goal which evens out the first Limerick goal so the ref did not lose it for us. Let's take our beating. Because Galway didn't play well on the day, we lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Reflecting on it the biggest loss this year was probably Callinan.

Any contenders for GK next year to challenge Skehill.

Puck outs need to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Said it ages ago that Callinan was a huge loss. Unfortunate that he missed the whole year.

I was always puzzled at the start of the year why Galway didn't stay in the Walsh Cup and put out a second panel, something similar to what Dublin do in the O'Byrne Cup. Cut out the 15 who started and Niall Burke and Jason Flynn and form another group of players from the subs and lads on the fringes and get them game time. Badly need a squad. If it's too much MO'D, then have someone else take them for the competition. I'm sure there'd be lads chomping at the bit to have a cut in the Walsh Cup. Ease the rest of the lads in in the league then.

Team /panel needs to be freshened up
    New goalkeeper
    Corner back
    Wing back
    Mid fielder
    Forward
    Some of the subs need to be dropped and more u21s brought in.
    Plus we need more of a game plan than just hoping high balls into Johnny Glynn work out.
    Next year will be harder again but we have the players coming through

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Team /panel needs to be freshened up
    New goalkeeper
    Corner back
    Wing back
    Mid fielder
    Forward
    Some of the subs need to be dropped and more u21s brought in.
    Plus we need more of a game plan than just hoping high balls into Johnny Glynn work out.
    Next year will be harder again but we have the players coming through

A few of the subs seem to be just making up the numbers at this stage and will need to be replaced with the best of what we have coming through.

The team/panel clearly needs to be freshened as some of the starting players have become a bit complacent and there's a major need for a bit of competition. The starting 15 has become too predictable.

Credit to all of them for a couple of great years but it will be a big challenge to push on again next year in what will be a mightily competitive championship again. We definitely need some new blood as the squad strength is not there but the age profile of the current bunch is still ok and there is an another All-Ireland in this group with a few small tweaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Whelans goal was off the back of what ought to have been a blatant free on Peter Casey up the other end. The referee was poor ,very poor, again. It's the biggest area of concern in hurling right now. As for the advantage rule..Thats a joke altogether the way its reffed. A guy can be fouled and then he can use his advantage to foul by over carrying. There isnt a sport in the world that would allow advantage in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

djPSB wrote: »
    Reflecting on it the biggest loss this year was probably Callinan.

Any contenders for GK next year to challenge Skehill.

Puck outs need to be addressed.

It's not just the puck outs. As has been said here Mulcahys goal should never have gone in. Some pundit or other said that Skehill goes to ground way to early and that's a fact. You have to stay standing as long as possible. What's the point in being big if your on the deck.
    Yeah I'd agree with the general consensus on Babs however a broken clock is right twice a day. He was right about McInerney and the general malaise in the whole team. I hope O Donoghue stays on. He's a good manager. What he needs is more support on the line. He looks all alone in comparison to Kiely with Kennerk and Cunningham nearby. Limerick have a serious backroom set up and they all contribute. If MOD goes now I feel he'll regret it as he hasn't done much wrong. A new management could invigorate the squad again but I have my doubts that they 'll get to another final next year with a brand new management team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Purely hypothetical this but should Galway have thrown everyone bar 3 outfield players in around the penalty area for that last free the last day? The puckout/clearance was always gonna be the last puck of the day. 11 Galway lads in front of goal with the ball dropping into the square would surely cause panic stations and draw a handy tap over free!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭threeball

Purely hypothetical this but should Galway have thrown everyone bar 3 outfield players in around the penalty area for that last free the last day? The puckout/clearance was always gonna be the last puck of the day. 11 Galway lads in front of goal with the ball dropping into the square would surely cause panic stations and draw a handy tap over free!

The goalie should have raced into midfield to create a loose player and a handy shot on goal from 45m. There was only 2 or 3 lads in that area when the free was taken.
    I'd rather have the goalie shooting from 45 rather than Canning from 100m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

threeball wrote: »
    The goalie should have raced into midfield to create a loose player and a handy shot on goal from 45m. There was only 2 or 3 lads in that area when the free was taken.
    On the last free, I watched it again last night, I think noel larkin made a huge mistake by taken the ball off the ground. David burke placed the ball to take a quick free and obviously he seen someone free and wanted to take it fast and if a limerick lad came in and blocked it owens would of moved it up 14 yards, instead larkin ran out and took the ball of the ground, surely to god larkin and the management team knew that it was out of canning's range.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MattressRick

cosatron wrote: »
    On the last free, I watched it again last night, I think noel larkin made a huge mistake by taken the ball off the ground. David burke placed the ball to take a quick free and obviously he seen someone free and wanted to take it fast and if a limerick lad came in and blocked it owens would of moved it up 14 yards, instead larkin ran out and took the ball of the ground, surely to god larkin and the management team knew that it was out of canning's range.

Is it definitely out of his range or did he not hit it perfectly? I actually expected him to find the distance. Good point about Larkin but I suppose it was panic stations there too on the line! Hard to have a fully clear head in the last seconds of the all Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

Browney7 wrote: »

To quote Brian Cody "are you to check all the other frees to see if they were dodgy also?"
    Cody says that, but quickly effectively terminated Barry Kelly's career when his team didn't for once get the bulk of the dodgy ones. I'd pay Cody no mind. His raison d'etre is the kk senior hurling team winning by whatever means necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

Is it definitely out of his range or did he not hit it perfectly? I actually expected him to find the distance. Good point about Larkin but I suppose it was panic stations there too on the line! Hard to have a fully clear head in the last seconds of the all Ireland.

I'd say Larkin was trying to steal a few yards by picking it up and walking around a bit and gesturing. It wasn't too far short and JC has scored from similar distance before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

MfMan wrote: »
    I'd say Larkin was trying to steal a few yards by picking it up and walking around a bit and gesturing. It wasn't too far short and JC has scored from similar distance before.

i don't remember him scoring with that angle, I seen him score from a more central position. If Jason Flynn's confidence wasn't shot to pieces he was the man to take it. He scored from a similar position in 2015 all Ireland. It's all hearsay now as we were terrible on the day and on the rewatch its very bad viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

He was miles out for that free. 75+ I reckon, longer because it's coming at an angle. You know what? He drops that in and someone gets a stick to it, goal - game over. For all Limerick's dominance they were a flick of the hurl from losing that All Ireland as bad and all as we were.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

threeball wrote: »

I was saying it after the whistle I’m surprised with all the advances and prep in hurling today that they didn’t have a pre set play for that scenario.

Even if it wasn’t the goalie they should have had some type of play where a lot of forwards break and one pre picked player ends up free on the 45. They only needed a point they didn’t need a goal and the only thought was handed it to joe and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭jacool

I suppose the one thing we'll never know was did anyone knwo when the referee was going to blow up?
    If Gaillimh thought that this was going to be the final puck of the match, i.e. trying a short one could have seen the game over as the player received the ball, they might have felt like they had to go for it. There was no way he was going to score directly though. You give up power for accuracy or vice versa, and as someone else said above, a flick on could have yielded either 1 or 3 points.
    i thought they were being hammered all game and preferred this honourable loss to a tit-for-tat 1 point loss to a Tipperary, like in the semi-final
    2 years before.
    It's easy say this as 2017 Champions, don't think I'd be OK about it if we were still waiting for the 30 year gap to be bridged.
    We are one of 6 teams that could win this next year, but we aren't getting younger and need an injection of youth into the squad. That and avoiding draws and replays would help. Our 9 games would have been two Kilkenny All-Ireland's in old money.
    Can't see Limerick retaining, be on the beer for 3 months now. Cork, with 2 Munsters under their belt must be desparate to get back in a final.
    Gaillimh Abu.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement