Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭threeball

jacool wrote: »
    I suppose the one thing we'll never know was did anyone knwo when the referee was going to blow up?
    If Gaillimh thought that this was going to be the final puck of the match, i.e. trying a short one could have seen the game over as the player received the ball, they might have felt like they had to go for it. There was no way he was going to score directly though. You give up power for accuracy or vice versa, and as someone else said above, a flick on could have yielded either 1 or 3 points.
    i thought they were being hammered all game and preferred this honourable loss to a tit-for-tat 1 point loss to a Tipperary, like in the semi-final
    2 years before.
    It's easy say this as 2017 Champions, don't think I'd be OK about it if we were still waiting for the 30 year gap to be bridged.
    We are one of 6 teams that could win this next year, but we aren't getting younger and need an injection of youth into the squad. That and avoiding draws and replays would help. Our 9 games would have been two Kilkenny All-Ireland's in old money.
    Can't see Limerick retaining, be on the beer for 3 months now. Cork, with 2 Munsters under their belt must be desparate to get back in a final.
    Gaillimh Abu.

Be a brave ref to blow it up and a lad 50m out about to pull the trigger for a draw. He'd be lynched.

Can't see any team retaining the cup going forward. With the amount of games and potential pitfalls it will take a monumental effort and the lifestyle habits of a monk in order to do it twice in a row in this format.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭macslash

Just watching a bit of the game there and the shoulder into the back of Padraic Mannion beforenthe first goal was as obvious. I'm not lynching the ref and I know their job is not an envious one, but that decision was crucial as we were just starting to turn the game around and were leading 6 to 5, to then going 1.8 to 6 down. Fine margins. I remember the spot around me in the Davin was predominantly Limerick and they erupted! Some boost at that stage. All the goals actually came at killer times, just when Galway started to eat into their leads a bit. Anyway, it's in the past now.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MattressRick

macslash wrote: »
    Just watching a bit of the game there and the shoulder into the back of Padraic Mannion beforenthe first goal was as obvious. I'm not lynching the ref and I know their job is not an envious one, but that decision was crucial as we were just starting to turn the game around and were leading 6 to 5, to then going 1.8 to 6 down. Fine margins. I remember the spot around me in the Davin was predominantly Limerick and they erupted! Some boost at that stage. All the goals actually came at killer times, just when Galway started to eat into their leads a bit. Anyway, it's in the past now.

Yeah watched it back. It was so blatant it's almost funny. I still think we got more than a fair shake from the ref towards the end of the game, the ref letting the losing team back into it.
    It's a worrying trend among hurling refs and it'll continue until journalists and pundits on tv start highlighting it.
    Last winter there was a lot of concern about the super 8s eclipsing the hurling. I wonder if refs have been instructed to let games flow, so they're not stop start. Horgan did it in last year's final and was commended for it. And it seems to be the template this year in all hurling matches. Refs are playing God with results because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Horgan has always reffed like that to be honest and its why there are very divided opinions on him none moreso than in Tipp. Theres the 'let it flow' brigade and then there is the 'rules are rules' people. It's the inconsitency from ref to ref that annoys most I think.

But there probably is something in it, if you look at James McGraths outburst this year its clear that referees are as desperate as the top players are to be in an All Ireland, it is after all the pinnacle of their profession. So bearing that in mind and they see Horgan rise up the ranks pretty swiftly and they feel their best shot at the big one is to 'let it flow'

Tally has left the Galway set up to become the Down manager. No bad thing I'd say. They got the benefit of working on a defensive system with him that was reasonably successful but it has already run it's course and we need to evolve our attacking strategy in order to progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

No one can say that Tally did not bring a stable system into place. Good luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Down do not have the players to reach the heights, so if he does a good job there, then he is a miracle worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    No one can say that Tally did not bring a stable system into place. Good luck to him

Not sure I'd agree. Not sure was there any discernible difference in our defending this year. Our FB line was better because there were was a better shape to it, SAC is a better no. 3 than Kyne and Kerins' form was good until injury-disrupted later in the season. Our defensive problems migrated out to the HB line then however and it was all over the place v Dublin. Hopefully the return of Silke and McDaid will provide badly need options here and might lead to a more suitable attacking style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

MfMan wrote: »
    Not sure I'd agree. Not sure was there any discernible difference in our defending this year. Our FB line was better because there were was a better shape to it, SAC is a better no. 3 than Kyne and Kerins' form was good until injury-disrupted later in the season. Our defensive problems migrated out to the HB line then however and it was all over the place v Dublin. Hopefully the return of Silke and McDaid will provide badly need options here and might lead to a more suitable attacking style.

Would you stop. Galway went through the whole league conceding just one goal. To say there was no improvement is blatantly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Wonder who they will get in to replace Tally? John Divilly maybe? Although he may have eyes on the top job after Walsh goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Wonder who they will get in to replace Tally? John Divilly maybe? Although he may have eyes on the top job after Walsh goes.

Can only see him going in as a new management ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

djPSB wrote: »
    Would you stop. Galway went through the whole league conceding just one goal. To say there was no improvement is blatantly wrong.

Yes, but to repeat, I put it more down to a better FB line this year, than any great tactical strides ahead. We had a good league right enough, but Mayo and particularly Roscommon would have beaten us in Connacht had they taken their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Hard to get back to club after all the inter county. James Vs Shamrocks was entertaining mainly because it was close. Duane went off for James with a bad looking knee injury. Varley was excellent for Shamrocks. Salthill vs Annaghdown was s***e. Salthill will all their talent scored two points in the first half. Annaghdown won handy. Maybe they can challenge Corofin but I doubt it. Nobody other than the players that have seen Galway action stood out in either game.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Was at the Corofin game myself, Kieran Molloy was outstanding. I'd say he'd still be running now if he was let! Worryingly enough for the rest of the county Corofin won this by 20 points without Liam Silke, Dylan Wall, Michael Farragher, Jason Leonard, Conor Cunningham and Daithí Burke. Darragh Silke, the youngest of the family, looks to be the real deal, only 18/19 and didn't look a bit out of place. Really don't think they'll be stopped again this year. Annaghdown probably the best placed to put it up to them but after the scare they gave them last year I think it's unlikely.

Edit: Ciaran McGrath went off in the second half with another leg injury, hopefully it's not too serious for his sake, he had a tough year last year with injury.

Was at the Corofin game myself, Kieran Molloy was outstanding. I'd say he'd still be running now if he was let! Worryingly enough for the rest of the county Corofin won this by 20 points without Liam Silke, Dylan Wall, Michael Farragher, Jason Leonard, Conor Cunningham and Daithí Burke. Darragh Silke, the youngest of the family, looks to be the real deal, only 18/19 and didn't look a bit out of place. Really don't think they'll be stopped again this year. Annaghdown probably the best placed to put it up to them but after the scare they gave them last year I think it's unlikely.

This is a selfish thing to say and I wish no bad on any team but from a Galway point of view Corofin getting knocked out would be great for Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MattressRick

This is a selfish thing to say and I wish no bad on any team but from a Galway point of view Corofin getting knocked out would be great for Galway.

Agreed but annaghdown might be the only team in Galway to take them out and there's a few big Galway players on that team too, needed to stay up in division 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Agreed but annaghdown might be the only team in Galway to take them out and there's a few big Galway players on that team too, needed to stay up in division 1.

Moycullen have sounded impressive and have beaten sides they have met impressively so far. This year may be a year too early for them but have a good group of young players in Cooke Kelly Connelly Wynne and with likes of Bradshaw and other senior experienced players could put it up to likes of corofin and annaghdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

mjp wrote: »

Moycullen have sounded impressive and have beaten sides they have met impressively so far. This year may be a year too early for them but have a good group of young players in Cooke Kelly Connelly Wynne and with likes of Bradshaw and other senior experienced players could put it up to likes of corofin and annaghdown.
    Hopefully. Salthill seems to be tilting towards hurling a bit. That's poor from their senior footballers, though imho, (and experience) a twenty point beating can actually be a good performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

In theory, they have a good set of players alright. They play Milltown in their next match who have won their first 2 games so it could be a good test for them. Still, really hard to look past Corofin. However, Galway need Corofin out of championship in either county or Connacht to give some of those lads a chance in the league next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

flatty wrote: »
    Hopefully. Salthill seems to be tilting towards hurling a bit. That's poor from their senior footballers, though imho, (and experience) a twenty point beating can actually be a good performance.

Hurling will never come close to football in Salthill, or more-so Knocknacarra, who make up the bulk of the side

It was Cheathru Rua who were beaten by 20, Salthill lost by 8 but it was only their second game I believe and they traditionally improve as the year goes on. They've lost a few key players to emigration in the last few years

St James have the players to at least push for a final place but with Conroy out and Duane getting injured yesterday it'll hardly happen for them this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

jr86 wrote:
    It was Cheathru Rua who were beaten by 20, Salthill lost by 8 but it was only their second game I believe and they traditionally improve as the year goes on. They've lost a few key players to emigration in the last few years

Poor salthill loosing players to emigration !!!!!!
    Easy for them when they poach an intercounty goalie from a junior club as well as taking ex mayo and Roscommon senior players. Of all the clubs in Galway don't think anyone will have sympathy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭orl

I understand that John Divilly is paid so well by UCD it would be hard for him to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Poor salthill loosing players to emigration !!!!!!
    Easy for them when they poach an intercounty goalie from a junior club as well as taking ex mayo and Roscommon senior players. Of all the clubs in Galway don't think anyone will have sympathy for them.

Ha! I'd doubt they're looking for sympathy, but it might explain why they're struggling for results a bit at the moment, they have plenty of younger players coming through who will no doubt pick up the mantle in the next few years however

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

jr86 wrote: »
    Ha! I'd doubt they're looking for sympathy, but it might explain why they're struggling for results a bit at the moment, they have plenty of younger players coming through who will no doubt pick up the mantle in the next few years however

At what clubs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

At what clubs ?

Salthill. Keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

At what clubs ?

Salthill. Keep up.
    I think there was a bit of sarcasm that went over your head in previous post ..... at what clubs ??

orl wrote: »
    I understand that John Divilly is paid so well by UCD it would be hard for him to go.

I don't think Salthill are the first club to have a Junior county player transfer in, sure Tadhg Harren left the same club to transfer to Mellows.

I'd fancy that the majority of those cases are pushed by the county management more than anything.

With the amount of kids I see down there between both codes they could well be Galways version of a Kilmacud Crokes type club in a few years.

Edit: wrong post quoted, meant the ones calling Salthill poachers

We should get him as manager.....

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

I wonder are the county board on the phone to Kevin pushing him for an answer as to whether he's staying or going?! Even though, decent and all as Rochford comes across he won absolutely nothing with Mayo, yes they got to the finals but when you look back he didn't win as much as an FBD with them and they haven't beaten Galway in any senior competition in 3 years. He won with Corofin and they speak very highly of him there but they've gone on to introduce new players, become even stronger and won another all Ireland since, was his importance in that 2015 win overstated?

• Advertisement

We should get him as manager.....

Why? Corofin have been more impressive since he left.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement