Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Trucks don't belong in cities.

how are shops going to get stocked and industry ?
    im a cyclist and i drive a lorry for a living and believe me no lorry drivers want to drive around city centres but its sometimes unavoidable, i think some hgv are idiots but on the other hand so are alot of cyclists, everybody seems to be in a rush these days on the roads, and im sure all cyclists are aware of the dangers of being in close proximity of hgv's so why put yourself in danger ? if your close hang back those extra few seconds could save your life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

copperhead wrote: »
    how are shops going to get stocked and industry ?
    im a cyclist and i drive a lorry for a living and believe me no lorry drivers want to drive around city centres but its sometimes unavoidable, i think some hgv are idiots but on the other hand so are alot of cyclists, everybody seems to be in a rush these days on the roads, and im sure all cyclists are aware of the dangers of being in close proximity of hgv's so why put yourself in danger ? if your close hang back those extra few seconds could save your life

Shops and industry are stocked before or after commuting hours.
    Problem with hanging back is there's usually another HGV or taxi or impatient motorist behind you.

papu wrote: »
    Problem with hanging back is there's usually another HGV or taxi or impatient motorist behind you.

im sure that has allready been thought about but probably isnt feasable
    as for impatient drivers let them be impatient its your safety and life at the end of the day,
    i see all too often cyclists knowing about the danges asscociated with hgvs and saying they shouldnt be allowed in cities etc,
    and yet there still putting themselves in the dangers way, it shouldnt be a them or us debate,
    everyone just wants to walk through there hall door of an evening and i for one would prefer to be tell my wife about
    the ##shlole in the taxi or hgv beeping at me at my dinner table than looking at her from a hospital bed or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

im sure that has allready been thought about but probably isnt feasable
    as for impatient drivers let them be impatient its your safety and life at the end of the day,
    i see all too often cyclists knowing about the danges asscociated with hgvs and saying they shouldnt be allowed in cities etc,
    and yet there still putting themselves in the dangers way, it shouldnt be a them or us debate,
    everyone just wants to walk through there hall door of an evening and i for one would prefer to be tell my wife about
    the ##shlole in the taxi or hgv beeping at me at my dinner table than looking at her from a hospital bed or worse.

Why wouldn’t it be feasible?

Why wouldn’t it be feasible?

Like I said it has been discussed many times before,
    Im not sure if any large city's implement this and there is probably good reasons ,
    Off the top of my head noise issues would be one, as would industrial relations ,
    A goods in working starting at 8 Am now starts at 4 am good luck with that ,
    It would increase the price of everything, and finally lorry drivers also have unsociable hour as it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Delivery before 7am would be much cheaper and far more efficient, since parking would be legal, traffic would be low and material could be whizzed into shops in half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

As far as 5 axle trucks and articulated ones, they definitely have no place in the core city centre!

Most perishable goods need to be in city centre stores by 7am, so deliveries would occur before then.
    Any large deliveries of building materials can be done in the evenings after 7pm.

Vans and smaller trucks of course will still have access to the city centre during peak hours.
    Smaller deliveries can be done by cargo bikes similar to what UPS operate.

However tipper trucks are a nightmare, very high up and very poor visibility make them quite dangerous for vulnerable road users.

I'm sure companies would have no problems recruiting drivers who'll work a 4am to 10am shift for example.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    As far as 5 axle trucks and articulated ones, they definitely have no place in the core city centre!

Most perishable goods need to be in city centre stores by 7am, so deliveries would occur before then.
    Any large deliveries of building materials can be done in the evenings after 7pm.

Vans and smaller trucks of course will still have access to the city centre during peak hours.
    Smaller deliveries can be done by cargo bikes similar to what UPS operate.

However tipper trucks are a nightmare, very high up and very poor visibility make them quite dangerous for vulnerable road users.

I'm sure companies would have no problems recruiting drivers who'll work a 4am to 10am shift for example.

i will address some of your points
    7am deliveries , roughly 1 hour to offload, puts an artic lorry straight into rush hour traffic at 8am
    after 7 pm for construction whos going to pay all the overtime for banks men, crane drivers, foreman, workers, forklift drivers ?
    plus you will have alot more noise polution
    your solution for vans doing deliverys puts 26 vans on the road insted of one artic
    and late night with drunk people and artic dont mix that well

7am deliveries , roughly 1 hour to offload, puts an artic lorry straight into rush hour traffic at 8am
    after 7 pm for construction whos going to pay all the overtime for banks men, crane drivers, foreman, workers, forklift drivers ?
    your solution for vans doing deliverys puts 26 vans on the road insted of one artic

It was up until 7am. That means they’d have a full 12 hours to deliver. That is plenty of time and people work nights all the time and their contract reflects this without necessarily having higher wages.

Electric and pedal power vehicles could be used for smaller deliveries during the day. This would reduce the emissions. Look at what Deliveroo has done for the takeaway business. Rather than each takeaway having their own drivers and motorcyclists, they now use a shared pool cyclists and motorcyclists. It is much better for the environment.

There is no reason why trucks can’t be kept out of the city from 7am-7pm.

Surely pre-7am? The trucks can be packed the night before and deliver early. Delivery will be far faster and more efficient without traffic and pedestrians in the way.

• Advertisement

Surely pre-7am? The trucks can be packed the night before and deliver early. Delivery will be far faster and more efficient without traffic and pedestrians in the way.

it would indeed but its just not as simple as that
    from my own experience one example is marks and spencers
    its loaded in crewe in england and comes in on the ferry every morning at roughly 6AM
    straight to the shop and leaving premises at roughly 8/8:30,
    how would you propose this could be avoided ?

its loaded in crewe in england and comes in on the ferry every morning at roughly 6AM

They created a distribution network and changed it as necessary. It can change again.

Brexit.

They created a distribution network and changed it as necessary. It can change again.

change it how if m&s wants fresh produce in there stores every morning ?

change it how if m&s wants fresh produce in there stores every morning ?

They can source goods in Ireland instead or set up distribution warehouses like others have. This is way off topic at this stage.

There is no need for trucks in the city from 7-7 and should be banned.

They can source goods in Ireland instead or set up distribution warehouses like others have. This is way off topic at this stage.

There is no need for trucks in the city from 7-7 and should be banned.

your right way off topic my initial point was dont put yourself in the dangers zone around a hgv stay well clear ,
    cyclists are the most vulnerable of all road users and everybody wants to get home safe

your right way off topic my initial point was dont put yourself in the dangers zone around a hgv stay well clear ,
    cyclists are the most vulnerable of all road users and everybody wants to get home safe

Yes your point seems to blame victims when you don’t know the circumstances.

I drove a truck for a living in the past. The vast majority have serious design flaws. High cab versions are not suitable for cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,494 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

papu wrote: »
    Really? So what are all those vans and trucks that I see in Ranelagh, Rathmines, Ballsbridge, Barrow St etc with doors open during commuting hours up to?

There is certainly an opportunity to use centralised distribution to reduce the number of individual deliveries. Gothenburg has done this, with a distribution centre outside the city to consolidate loads, so each shop gets one big delivery instead of 20 small deliveries. It won't work for all goods, but it would make a big difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mod NoteLet's end the talk on trucks and what time they can be in the city etc. Well and truly off topic now

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

homer911 wrote: »
    This guy works in my team, just got a call from him. He had almost made it into work. Looks like multiple leg fractures but he is still waiting in the A&E. He is thankful it wasn't worse!

Hope it’s not too bad for him. If it’s not intrusive, any idea on the circumstances? Might be educational for us all. The stories implied he was heading straight on and the truck turned in on him. Probably another blind spot incident - time they made cameras or better mirrors mandatory. Was the truck indicating, I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

p15574 wrote: »
    Hope it’s not too bad for him. If it’s not intrusive, any idea on the circumstances? Might be educational for us all. The stories implied he was heading straight on and the truck turned in on him. Probably another blind spot incident - time they made cameras or better mirrors mandatory. Was the truck indicating, I wonder?

Problem is that many of these trucks turning left often pull right first to get a better angle for the turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Vel wrote: »
    Thats two then this morning. I posted this in the off topic thread earlier:

'Not sure where to put this but came upon the aftermath of a collision this morning (8am ish) at the Church on Aungier Street between motorist and cyclist. Ambulance and loads of Guards on the scene. No sign of the cyclist but the bike was crushed under the two front wheels of the SUV.

Its a really nasty junction there with cars coming out of the side road after the church, especially as the cycle lane is usually full of parked up cars/taxis. Its a part of my commute I really hate.

It was awful to see and I hope everyone is ok.'

Was on Bus passing by this at about 740 .

Cyclist was still on ground though sitting up .

It looked like he had some kind of leg injury .

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

It's official

458757.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

About time. I had a woman driver remind me that I shouldn’t be on the road and that I should be using the cycling lane to the left, which she pointed to. I was apparently in her way and holding her up.

I explained to her that occasionally I have to turn right in my morning commute, but agreed with her that if my commute involved going straight on only that I’d probably stick to the bike lane. The fact that this conversation took place in grid locked traffic in central Dublin was lost on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Silent hunter

All down to inconsiderate drivers behind the wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

p15574 wrote: »

I don't have any more details yet. It seems that he got away without any broken bones, but his leg is mangled
    He was definitely heading straight on at the junction

• Registered Users Posts: 28,494 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

homer911 wrote: »
    He was definitely heading straight on at the junction
    Coming from which side?

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    About time. I had a woman driver remind me

Long time since I've heard the term "woman driver"! Woman doctor, woman engineer…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

Long time since I've heard the term "woman driver"! Woman doctor, woman engineer…

I believe the term is a 'driveress' (and doctoress, engineeress...).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »
    I believe the term is a 'driveress' (and doctoress, engineeress...).

I believe the term is driver, or that was the point as the sex of a person in roles such as these is irrelevant. The only reason some would bring it up is to illicit a view that this somehow was a contributory factor. Personally I don't think that is the reason people do it, I think it is a learned habit as it would have been brought up in that context years ago and it has become instilled in some of us. Much like the many athiests I know who still bless themselves passing churches. I am guilty of it myself having referred to a member of the AGS as a Bean Garda. I was promptly corrected and never made the error again.

Although I find it odd to even say woman driver as if I was describing a situation where it was relevant, I would have thought female came more naturally to the flow of the statement but that may just be me.

Long story short, I imagine the implication was unintentional and now that it has been pointed out, people can learn from their errors. If it was intentional then there are other issues here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement