Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminator: Dark Fate **Spoilers from post 983**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Sorry I meant after the intro to T3 they seemed to try and make it a comedy. The suspense of the first two films disappeared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

I have zero expectations for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

What better way to hide from a terminator than have a sex change.

They aren’t looking for Joan Conners.

The LGBT-1000 is! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Technically, the T-1000 can be any sex it wishes though. So, we're already there. :pac:

LGBT-1000, there's a great 'Southpark' sketch in there somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Tony EH wrote: »
    LGBT-1000, there's a great 'Southpark' sketch in there somewhere.

Sent back to protect John Conor against the LGBTIQ-3000 genderfluid metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

It looks like Robert Patrick is going to be in T6.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

nah.. really?

maybe playing the human the t-1000 was based on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,892 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Slydice wrote: »
    nah.. really?

maybe playing the human the t-1000 was based on?
    But that was just some random cop the T1000 killed after it arrived...

Why are they faffing around with these moronic storylines ever since T2? Take the scenes of the war against Skynet at the start of T2 and in Kyle Reeses flashbacks and turn them into a film, its what everyone wants, maybe throw in a bit of time travel/paradox stuff if you have to. Thats why Salvation was such a let-down for me, the trailers made it look like that was what we were getting but then the giant robot with motorbikes in its legs showed up along with that ridiculous little mute kid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

Hm. I'll give the trailer a look when it comes out and see what I think then.

Even so, I could just randomly go see it on a whim. :P However, I don't think the Post T2 movies have been up to snuff. Salvation was the last one I saw and that seemed to be an explosion fest.

I'd be one of those people that has The Sarah Connor Chronicles series as my headcanon for the story post T2. I think it's the way that and the first two movies focus on the drama equally as much as the action, gives it more weight. I'd happily watch T6 if it had that going for it. :D

Thargor wrote: »

No, it was the t-1000

cop looked different:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If Patrick is going to be in this, I hope it's just for an unrelated part; there was enough fan-service nonsense in Genisys without going back to that particular well. Reminding your audience of better films in the franchise through slavish recreation never really works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Take the scenes of the war against Skynet at the start of T2 and in Kyle Reeses flashbacks and turn them into a film, its what everyone wants, .

Who wants that though? I don't. That's just.....a run of the mill sci fi action film. What made T1 and T2 what they were was the present day setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,892 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No, it was the t-1000

cop looked different:
    Thats bizarre, I always had it in my head that he took the cops form after killing him.
    Who wants that though? I don't. That's just.....a run of the mill sci fi action film. What made T1 and T2 what they were was the present day setting.
    Well obviously it would have to have a plot and not just be 2 hours of fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Since 1984, people have been looking for a film detailing the war between the machines and the humans as shown in 'The Terminator'. It's arguably the most interesting sequence in the film.

But, that time has passed. I cannot see any audience going for a relentlessly grim picture like that, with no real hope. Audiences are too primed for their paint-by-numbers multiplex mulch, they wouldn't respond too well too two hours of depressing future warfare.

No, it was the t-1000

cop looked different:

Thats bizarre, I always had it in my head that he took the cops form after killing him.

Back .. ahem.. Back in the day.. It got me because for the early parts of the film, I was assuming that the T-1000 was the human because his look wasn't completely dissimilar to Kyles.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the intention for audiences who'd seen T1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Back .. ahem.. Back in the day.. It got me because for the early parts of the film, I was assuming that the T-1000 was the human because his look wasn't completely dissimilar to Kyles.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the intention for audiences who'd seen T1.

Thats how the original Terminator films are intended to be seen, trailers and movie hype interviews ruined it, can you imagine how better T2 would be if you had no idea Arnie was the good guy in it?

Thinking Arnie is the one out to kill all the way up until the mall corridors where the 3 come head to head, guns cocked and "Get down" BOOM he starts taking chunks out of the T1000. That would be such a great WTF moment..

Feckin trailers! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

nix wrote: »
    Thats how the original Terminator films are intended to be seen, trailers and movie hype interviews ruined it, can you imagine how better T2 would be if you had no idea Arnie was the good guy in it?

Thinking Arnie is the one out to kill all the way up until the mall corridors where the 3 come head to head, guns cocked and "Get down" BOOM he starts taking chunks out of the T1000. That would be such a great WTF moment..

Funnily I think I remember reading that Cameron was originally going to cast Michael Biehn as the T-1000 with Arnie as the good guy but thought that would be way too confusing so dropped the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

p to the e wrote: »
    Funnily I think I remember reading that Cameron was originally going to cast Michael Biehn as the T-1000 with Arnie as the good guy but thought that would be way too confusing so dropped the idea.

That rings a bell too. I think when they came face to face with Arnie they were like "this guy a machine" so gave him the T-800 role. Can't remember though was Biehn originally meant to be the Terminator. Maybe the vision was that he looks more like a likely infiltration unit.

... to Wikipedia!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The wiki makes for interesting reading....
    Cameron was dubious about casting Schwarzenegger as Reese as he felt he would need someone even bigger to play the Terminator. Sylvester Stallone and Mel Gibson were offered the Terminator role, but both turned it down. The studio suggested O. J. Simpson for the role, but Cameron did not feel that Simpson would be believable as a killer.

Also, the T-1000 was original in the Terminator script but was bumped due to technology limits and brought back into T2

... this probably old news to a lot of people. Interesting to read though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yeah, I'm of a vintage to have seen T2 and its advertising on release and, while the film is clearly structured to make you initially think Arnie = bad, all the publicity made no attempt to hide the fact that it was the other way round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

Bacchus wrote: »
    That rings a bell too. I think when they came face to face with Arnie they were like "this guy a machine" so gave him the T-800 role. Can't remember though was Biehn originally meant to be the Terminator. Maybe the vision was that he looks more like a likely infiltration unit.

... to Wikipedia!

I'm talking about T2 though. They were going to switch roles as protector vs killer for the sequel apparently but Cameron thought that would just really confuse people. Also a quick google tells me that Billy Idol was supposed to play T1000 originally but got in a motorbike accident. The more you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

pixelburp wrote: »
    If Patrick is going to be in this, I hope it's just for an unrelated part; there was enough fan-service nonsense in Genisys without going back to that particular well. Reminding your audience of better films in the franchise through slavish recreation never really works.
    Agreed.

Bringing in Patrick to shoehorn an "origin" story for the T-1000 just creates more questions than it answers - Skynet wouldn't need a "model" for a human, given that modern computers can procedurally generate unique human forms. Just like the T3 idea for Arnie with a Texan accent was binned because that made no sense either.

I think a cameo role is better, especially given that 25 years have passed, so CGing Patrick's face to look younger will just look odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Yeah, I don't want that either...

You either do it Salvation style, with tons of daytime scenes and additional Skynet vehicles etc, which people complained about, or you keep it incredibly dark and dreary like shown in the first movie which I don't think would be particularly interesting.
    I don't really want to see any of that stuff either - I never wanted to see Skynet, just like I never wanted an origin story for the Space Jockeys in Alien, who I will now forever think of as squishy grey faced fellas in a suit thanks to Prometheus.

The mystery of it all keeps it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yeah, I don't want that either...

You either do it Salvation style, with tons of daytime scenes and additional Skynet vehicles etc, which people complained about, or you keep it incredibly dark and dreary like shown in the first movie which I don't think would be particularly interesting.
    I don't really want to see any of that stuff either - I never wanted to see Skynet, just like I never wanted an origin story for the Space Jockeys in Alien, who I will now forever think of as squishy grey faced fellas in a suit thanks to Prometheus.

The mystery of it all keeps it interesting.

Salvation was a very dark, dreary depressing film do and not a good film either. Also its time of release was not great either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Were I making Terminator 6 I'd look to the demonstrable success stories in modern action cinema (the likes of Fury Road, John Wick, and even the Mission Impossible franchise in a fashion), replicate the elements that worked. Specifically, their emphasis on own-stunt acting, physical FX, and no nonsense, almost exhaustingly visceral pacing.

So if we must have a Terminator 6, then I'd prefer to see a stripped down, grimy and relentless 'chase' film ala Fury Road - or indeed Terminator itself - something that reflects the inexorable approach of the Terminator itself.

Instead of rubbery CGI fights, or convoluted overwrought plotting, keep it simple and the cinematic equivalent to a punch to the gut. Of course it won't be: more than likely, it'll be another one of these China produced flatliners

can you imagine how better T2 would be if you had no idea Arnie was the good guy in it?

I can. It was a real wtf moment. Trailers weren't as prevelent at the time.

Had only seen T1 recent enough before it came out so Kyle was pretty close to memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I can. It was a real wtf moment. Trailers weren't as prevelent at the time.

Had only seen T1 recent enough before it came out so Kyle was pretty close to memory.

Ummmm, the entire trailer is amped up around it and reveals it mid way through :confused:

Not to mention any movies or talk shows back then, all they did was talk about it.

Letterman in 1991, skip to 19:30

I remember it was all over the likes of MTV and countless other shows, i knew months before it was released here and i went to see it in the cinema, i was 8 years old :pac:

Ye, there wasn't loads of them around back then

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I saw T2 on video not that long after it came out (around '93) and didn't know the Arnold twist. In fact, I don't remember having anything spoiled for me by trailers as a kid. Even when I saw them, I only seemed to take impressions rather than plot points away from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I seen T2 in the states the day it came out. I was there on holidays with my parents and drove them mad to let me go see it on my own.

It was me and two other people in the cinema and it was joyous. I loved every minute of it, such a great film and, when you think about it, so simple.

The sequels are absolute rubbish in my opinion. I predict this one will be nonsense also.

Only way a terminator moview will get anyway close to T1 & T2 in terms of quality is if James Cameron directs and has full authority over the movie.

Advertisement