Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminator: Dark Fate **Spoilers from post 983**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭ebbsy

AMKC wrote: »
    Salvation was a very dark, dreary depressing film do and not a good film either. Also its time of release was not great either.

I remember going to see that in Portlaoise on the first weekend it came out. There was 4 other people in the cinema.

And yes it was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Slydice wrote: »
    Ye, there wasn't loads of them around back then

True, just in cinemas, on any talk shows the actors done for promotional purposes and any TV show that talked about or reviewed/previewed movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

nix wrote: »
    True, just in cinemas, on any talk shows the actors done for promotional purposes and any TV show that talked about or reviewed/previewed movies.

Lookit, if you had fantastic access to entertainment resources back in the day, kudos to you.

Others didn't.

Lookit, if you had fantastic access to entertainment resources back in the day, kudos to you.

Others didn't.

True, i think i was the only person that watched TV or read magazines back then, they created television shows just for me and my minimal access i had to the magical picture box.. Yessir :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Keyzer wrote: »

Only way a terminator moview will get anyway close to T1 & T2 in terms of quality is if James Cameron directs and has full authority over the movie.

After Cameron praised T5 I wouldn't have any faith in him directing another terminator movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Dr Brown wrote: »
    After Cameron praised T5 I wouldn't have any faith in him directing another terminator movie.

He was doing them a favour during the promotional period. To get a few bums on seats.

True, i think i was the only person that watched TV or read magazines back then, they created television shows just for me and my minimal access i had to the magical picture box.. Yessir :rolleyes:

I doubt loads of Irish people watched David Letterman back in the late 80s, 1990 and 1991.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I doubt loads of Irish people watched David Letterman back in the late 80s, 1990 and 1991.
    In fairness, it was all over the place at the time (the spoiler, not Letterman!), even on the few channels we had over here. If you managed to avoid the spoilers, fair play to you, but you were in a minority I think it's safe to say.

Johnmb wrote: »
    In fairness, it was all over the place at the time (the spoiler, not Letterman!), even on the few channels we had over here. If you managed to avoid the spoilers, fair play to you, but you were in a minority I think it's safe to say.

Exactly! The idea that nobody could've missed out on the spoilers back then just doesn't click.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

] :rolleyes: [/SIZE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I can barely remember the first time I saw T2 but I know it was a few years before I ever saw The Terminator.

Think I was more surprised that Arnie played a bad guy than anything else. He always played the good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I remember Arnie saying that I only got to read the final script for T2 when he was on the plane over to Cannes to promote the movie for the first time. He was relieved to say the least as he didn't want to be the killing machine he was in the original.

Exactly! The idea that nobody could've missed out on the spoilers back then just doesn't click.
    I think the biggest culprit was the You Could be Mine video. Whatever about trailers, and how prevalent they were, the video was on Top of the Pops, MTV, Sky Channel, and I think Super Channel still existed and was reasonably popular back then too. Then you had trailers, which were also on most of those TV channels, as well as in cinemas, plus the movie review shows, plus any UK/Irish chat shows where Arnie just couldn't help but point out that he was playing the good guy this time. I'm amazed, and jealous, that it was a surprise to anyone who went to see the movie!

They would have watched whatever was on, NBC being one of the standard TV channels we had access to, I'd say alot... And yeah they only done promoting on Letterman, they wouldnt have done other shows :rolleyes:

I done letterman as an example as its one of the few i could find on youtube.. You will be hard pressed to find UK/Irish shows from back then on youtube.. Maybe if any of the shows from back then still existed, there might be a better record :pac:

I never was arguing that, I'm saying most would have known, with the exposure the movie got back then, you're the one making claims that it wasnt all over the place :rolleyes:

They would have watched whatever was on, NBC being one of the standard TV channels we had access to

When I did eventually get "The Channels", I don't remember NBC being one of them.

I saw many different versions of "The Channels" around the country, I don't remember NBC being there.

Used to be either:
    - just the english bunch.. BBCs and UTV, C4
    - the english bunch and some Sky but not NBC

MTV UK didn't kick off till 1997:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTV_(UK_and_Ireland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I always wondered what a Ground Hog Dayish Terminator would look like.
    Skynet sends back a terminator, kill JC or SC. The resistance sends one back just a minute before the killing and prevents it, Skynet sneds another, resistance sends another etc. Repeat until time travel implodes.

I never was arguing that

Ok, let's check with the words of the rest of your post:
    I'm saying most would have known
    So then.. people can not have known and indeed have posted in the middle of our discussion.
    you're the one making claims that it wasnt all over the place
    So.. back to the test..
    - as I read it, you're implying you agree that people can not have known
    - but your saying that .. saying it wasn't all over the place.. so as I mention "people can not have known".. is wrong?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Was it normal for cinemas back then to let 8 year olds in to see 18 rated films? Because I remembered being turned away from Barb Wire in my early teens and that was only rated 15s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Was it normal for cinemas back then to let 8 year olds in to see 18 rated films? Because I remembered being turned away from Barb Wire in my early teens and that was only rated 15s.

But it was also double D!

• Advertisement

Ok, let's check with the words of the rest of your post:

So then.. people can not have known and indeed have posted in the middle of our discussion.

So.. back to the test..
    - as I read it, you're implying you agree that people can not have known
    - but your saying that .. saying it wasn't all over the place.. so as I mention "people can not have known".. is wrong?

Yeah i said most, not all, you're obviously not in the most category.

To summarise, i was saying it was everywhere, the trailer and any promotional plugins/interviews that were done in relation to the movie, revealed that Arnie was a good guy.

And you're implying the whole time that this info was scarce, as if most people wouldnt have seen this stuff, as if nobody back then had a TV :eek:
    When I did eventually get "The Channels", I don't remember NBC being one of them.

I saw many different versions of "The Channels" around the country, I don't remember NBC being there.

Used to be either:

We defo had NBC, it was mostly NEWS shows on it throughout the day, but it had the interesting talks shows on it in the evenings (not that i watched many of them at that age), very rarely you might see the odd good movie on it..

And eh, we've had MTV well before 1997, i remember watching alot of Beavis and Butthead on it at a young age..

Terminator 2 was 15's, i got in to see it with my father and two brothers, in a cinema in wexford, think it was the one in Gorey... In 1991... Yeah nobody cared :D

Now if it was 18's and it was a movie littered with tits and gore, I'm sure there would have been an exchange of words :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Promotional releases do nothing for me so I didn't give a crap about them releasing the first official image consisting of 3 women. It's great to have Hamilton back and Davis is an actress with so much potential so I'm just happy they're in the film.

Don't know where it leaves John Connor and Arnie but I'm fine with sitting back and letting things unfold.

There's clear wire crossing here..
    as I read it ...
    - but your saying that
    i was saying ...
    And you're implying

Don't wanna speak for you but it looks to me we've had different experiences.
    - Your memory and background gave you yours. Others had similar.
    - Mine gave me mine. Others had similar.

Any agreement at all?

I remember definitely being worried I'd get in trouble for getting into Robocop 2!

There's clear wire crossing here..

Don't wanna speak for you but it looks to me we've had different experiences.
    - Your memory and background gave you yours. Most had similar.
    - Mine gave me mine. some had similar.

Any agreement at all?

Fixed and you bet! ;)

But seriously, I accept and am envious you saw the movie spoiler free. But i stand by my belief that most people wouldnt have had the same experience as you with the amount of exposure the movie got on TV/Radio/Magazines, it was everywhere..Heck i havent even touched off word of mouth :pac:

I remember definitely being worried I'd get in trouble for getting into Robocop 2!

Hah yeah i did feel lucky getting into T2 at the time, and that was only 15's. Fairly certain there was a lot of standing in front of or around me so not many people would see me until we got to our seats.

I was unsuccessful getting into Demolition man in the square with my bro a few years later. Lobby boy wasnt having any of it.... Bastard :mad:

Fixed and you bet! ;)

But seriously, I accept and am envious you saw the movie spoiler free. But i stand by my belief that most people wouldnt have had the same experience as you with the amount of exposure the movie got on TV/Radio/Magazines, it was everywhere..Heck i havent even touched off word of mouth :pac:

Phew! Take it away! TF that's over!

Fairly certain there was a lot of standing in front of or around me so not many people would see me until we got to our seats.

This! I remember this!

EVERYONE DID THIS! :)

• Advertisement

Used to be either:

It was called CNBC, but had mostly NBC talk shows in the evenings, not quite the same as the current CNBC variant.

MTV was in Ireland long before 1997. We had it almost from the start of MTV Europe broadcasting, although for the first few years it was a night time channel, coming on after one of the others finished. It was a full time channel by the early 90s at least, as it was there all through my college years.

Advertisement