Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wonder what the bets are that the lady is high fiving all her so called "friends" on Facebook with "hey look, I won huns, they gave me a three bed apartment, never enough room though gals, so bide my time for the four bed very soon" Luv ya hun.

It is a game.

I admire those who are dignified in their distress at losing their homes and who do not court publicity like this.

Anyway, back to the meeja. They are despicable herd animals AFAIS. No dissenting voice and no research either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Can we really do state care? Isn't the state notoriously bad for losing children as teenagers? I remember a big scandal about it some time back.

I've never understood the logic that just because something didn't work in the past, we can't do it better in the future. In any case, putting the kids up for fostering with other families, and paying those families to raise them, would likely be far better than leaving them as things stand.
    What about a risk that people doing their genuine best get their children taken off them? it's not a good precedent.

I'm not trying to be difficult, i just don't know if there are any good answers. Not when the horse has already bolted, so to speak.

And that's why nothing will ever change. This fear of the slight possibility that something will go wrong, although to be fair, IF we simply applied it to cases like this one... with so many children and no employment for a very long time, the chance of error would be extremely slight.

We already have a system of removing children from abusive parents. Use the same system here.
    Maybe more enforcement with truancy issues for kids in the future, but then that needs more resources

Only when you apply half-assed measures. There is no fear for behaving this way, because there are so many groups looking to support them. Why? Because, while we should be encouraging helping the weakest members of our society... We should not be encouraging people to become weak just so that they can be supported. It's that sense of entitlement that has become so common in recent decades.

Taking the children away, and the removal of all welfare benefits except the most basic support sends a clear message that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated, and better yet, that there is no profit in doing so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

1.5 million euro tax free for the next 30 years for doing nothing.

Not bad going!!

Christ that's depressing when you see it like that.

Factor in what the kids will inevitably cost us and man are we screwed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

So what it really comes down to is that whether some people here like it or not, it really would be naïve to think the Irish Government would ever introduce discriminatory policies with regard to child benefit which would prioritise the children of parents in employment over the children of parents who aren't in employment.
    That would be totally wrong. What would be right would be to taper child benefit after 2 kids (subsequent kids benefit from hand-me-downs) and cut off child benefit at 4.

Regardless of your work status or background. Fair for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Is this our Margaret? This lady is selling dresses she only wore for a few hours which cost a few hundred pounds. The most expensive being £796

https://www.depop.com/margaretcash17

Melendez wrote: »
    She put herself and her kids on the national stage with her stunt to cheat the housing list. Nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Every angry mob needs a scapegoat...found a witch may we burn her

• Registered Users Posts: 28,991 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

She was offered a home prior to this and refused it.
    But because it was not the one she wanted she set out to pull the stunt and camp out in a garda station.
    Then act like she had no where to go, when she did have somewhere to go she refused it.

because it couldn't take all of the children. so, technically she didn't have somewhere to go, because she would not have been able to bring all of the children. she slept in the garda station, because she had nowhere for her and all of her children to go at the time.
    na1 wrote: »
    Well we can ask her to provide the paypal address or bank account details so you can donate? How much would you like to sign for? Monthly?

i already donate to her, it's called social wellfare which comes out of part of my tax.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

There are thousand upon thousand have to fight an unequal battle on their own as you put it

But she was the only one who turned down a home because it did not suit her and then played a scam where she jumped ahead of the other thousands upon thousands in the queue. and could set a dangerous and financially costly precedent.

You are either defending her because you feel you have come to far to back down and admit you were wrong, or arguing for the sake of it and deliberately ignoring the facts that were presented.

Either way you come out of this looking more ridiculous with every post.
    Defend her if you wish, thats your right, but just remember, those who dont agree with you are entitled to their opinion

By entitled...I dont mean entitled like Mrs Cash who thinks she is "entitled" to a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

She sought the attention. No one forced her to have the photos taken. No one forced her to do the interviews. That is why she is being "singled out".
    You're attitude is the problem. It's the reason why "she is one of thousands" taking the taxpayer for a ride.
    Irish people are far too tolerant.

it is likely going to cost us quite a bit to put these children into care, and i believe we have a shortage of social workers and foster parents as it is, so where are all these resources coming from, for what looks like from the outside, a non-essential case? i presume the children will end up being split also, which is certainly not going to help them.

Will it cost more than supporting Cash? I doubt that, considering the welfare benefits, and the house being provided.

I'd be perfectly happy any savings made by removing these scammers from Welfare being put towards better facilities/funding for fostering.
    what employment are we pushing her into? which employer are we going to inflict her on and how are we going to do this?

How? Education and employment aren't that difficult to obtain. She doesn't have to become a broker, or accountant. There are plenty of people who have found jobs that provide enough to support themselves in this country with simply a leaving cert qualification.

Admittedly, I am expecting the lack of benefits would be motivation for her to study and improve herself. But if she doesn't apply herself, at least she's not costing the state much, and her children are removed from "her care"

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Every angry mob needs a scapegoat...found a witch may we burn her
    I agree that she's just a symptom. We need to cut the flow of money that facilitates her, and figure out how to prevent her kids turning into the next generation of criminals like their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Is this our Margaret? This lady is selling dresses she only wore for a few hours which cost a few hundred pounds. The most expensive being £796

https://www.depop.com/margaretcash17

Address listed as UK for every ad.

Too much wrong for me. Easier to pick apart your nonsense one sentence at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

People who post here have no other voice. No media will acknowledge anyone other than this woman EVER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

She has the same opportunity to sign up the same as anyone else posting here.

Why do you doubt her ability?:confused: Her social media shows she has the ability

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ha ha good lad. I'm very good at my job if I do say so myself. I enjoy my work, even if it is taxing mentally and physically. Burnout is common among plenty but we just have to soldier on. That's what people have to do. I've seen people's faces slashed open to the point where I can see their teeth through their cheek. I've had my family threatened. I deal with actual cartel members and contract killers. If Blindboy is your hero, then I'm betting you wouldn't last half a day in there son. It is very patriarchal after all.

Anyway, I'm not the only one doing the job. I work with tonnes of guys and girls who sacrifice far more than I do. They're living 100's of miles away from their families to give them a roof over their heads while renting a box room up here while they work. So they're paying for two houses. That's one more than I'm paying for. It's two more than Margaret Cash is paying for.

Glad to hear it...mind you I disagree with you re soldiering on if you are experiencing burnout symptoms. Burnout is a warning sign that should be heeded.

PS Does my responses on this thread make the Ms Cash woman my hero also.

She singled herself out.

You can pretend you don't understand this point, but it's a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

If dodging questions was an olympic sport then Melendez would be a gold medal record holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Melendez wrote:

Yes she was in meath actually!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭warsaw2018

zeebre12 wrote: »
    Was it Bishop Cox by any chance? He lived down the road from me. He 'married' lots of traveller couples. You'd always know there was a traveller wedding on when a pink limo would be looking for directions to his 'church'.
    Pink
    Limo
    Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 28,991 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I've never understood the logic that just because something didn't work in the past, we can't do it better in the future. In any case, putting the kids up for fostering with other families, and paying those families to raise them, would likely be far better than leaving them as things stand.

they would be split most likely, and there is no guarantee they would be able to stay in the same homes long term. i'm not seeing how that would be better? and all this would ultimately be because the mother slept in a garda station and got a subsidized house quicker then she may have? the care system is for children who are in serious danger. these children are not in danger, never mind serious danger.
    We already have a system of removing children from abusive parents. Use the same system here.

why? to do so would require actual grounds. we can't go around taking children because we don't like the parents or something they do, they actually have to be a danger to their children, and this mother isn't a danger to her children. could she be a better parent? yeah, i'm sure she could, but not being as good a parent as one could be is not enough grounds from what i can see to be removing children. also, how far do we take the use of this system.
    Taking the children away, and the removal of all welfare benefits except the most basic support sends a clear message that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated, and better yet, that there is no profit in doing so.

from what i can see, it's unlikely that this would send any message. as things stand, there is no "profit" in the current system for people, as it meets the basic needs only.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

warsaw2018 wrote: »
    zeebre12 wrote: »
    Was it Bishop Cox by any chance? He lived down the road from me. He 'married' lots of traveller couples. You'd always know there was a traveller wedding on when a pink limo would be looking for directions to his 'church'.
    Pink
    Limo
    Lol

Be thankful for small mercies - it could have been that God awful Cinderella coach. I've seen one of them alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Address listed as UK for every ad.

Travellers are no strangers to the UK. The profile photo looks like her alright when she has makeup on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

warsaw2018 wrote: »
    Pink
    Limo
    Lol

Pink limo's have saved many a publican. You can't miss them.
    If your're ever in a small town and see one coming just watch all the pub doors shut!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement