Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Melendez wrote: »

Sure he's already costing the taxpayer more money

about the children's father, but according to Ms Cash: "He's not relevant."

Speaking to the Sunday World, she said: "He's not on the scene. I separated from him last year."

The 28-year-old's former long-term partner, John McCarthy, was remanded in the custody of Cloverhill Prison on July 25.

He is facing charges of assault at Westmoreland Street on June 24, engaging in threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour and possession of an offensive weapon, involving a sharpened tent spike.

https://www.herald.ie/news/mum-and-six-kids-forced-to-sleep-in-garda-station-given-beds-by-a-charity-37209313.html

Sounds like a lovely individual

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Cina wrote: »
    Not trying to be funny here but why do you think that? Places like boards and Reddit are predominantly left-leaning places and the majority consensus on these sites is similar (albeit much less extreme) to yours.

Anyone who said anything on Twitter that could be considered "centrist" or "right" leaning tends to get put aside by the left who all share / like retweet "can't beleive this was said". They also tended to conflate her story with the overall housing / homeless problem, as well as sometimes generic "support women" issue.

This issue was discussed on reddit in a fair few topics and I would say it was 50/50 in viewpoints and some of the top comments were those that questioned her story and said we can't allow flagrant abuses of our strained system, such as someone who has used social media to draw attention to their position.

My personal view is that we must give her what's needed for the kids to be safe and have stable rearing. But that doesn't mean she's beyond approach or the story is beyond question.

However she doesn't get to dictate it, if the only house suitable for 7 is outside Dublin or even outside a preferred area within Dublin and she refuses it, then she has chosen to be homeless and there should be no responsiblity on anyone else to solve that choice.

We hear of refusals of housing due to area ("rough" area) and condition and that is a problem. A problem in that perhaps councils shouldn't be allowed to offer them (condition) and also that people refuse them (area) because they're happy enough to wait for a "better" option.

I don't think her story or motives should be above approach simply because of the crisis, mostly because as a result she will likely move to the top and get something that someone else will be deprived of.

I've not seen people anyone so far become outraged at the story of someone who has served 17 years in our defence force and whose wife has a part time job (while they have a sick child) who is also homeless, or seek to discover who the other families were. She got all the attention and now all the benefits.

They only cared and discussed it because it allowed them to maintain a smug superiority over anyone who has a "hot take" (as Emmett Kirwan put it) or because it allowed them to conflate it with other existing problems and that if you had problems with this, then you have problems with those issues.

If Margaret truly feels strongly about the issue I hope she does something about it. Not just wait for the personal situation to become sorted and then sit on her hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You have a link? I may have heard a spokesperson for the DRHE blaming miscommunication, that the accommodation was suitable but the offer was conveyed as Mr Flynn had stated.

Posted a link with a Clair Byrne interview earlier in the thread ,
    Which also stated she wasn't advised to attend tallaght Garda station ,
    They have no idea who actually advised it .

Odd how little they are saying is varified by anyone but themselves Flynn and cash .

What's worse is people swinging out of their every word .

It's almost trumpism

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

No he is known and identified. Maybe inform yourself a bit better before making dumb posts.[/quote]
    Sorry. You're right:
    just spotted this:
    John McCarthy is being held on remand in Cloverhill Prison in Dublin on an assault charge

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2971987/dad-homeless-children-garda-station-jail/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    He is facing charges of assault at Westmoreland Street on June 24, engaging in threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour and possession of an offensive weapon, involving a sharpened tent spike.

https://www.herald.ie/news/mum-and-six-kids-forced-to-sleep-in-garda-station-given-beds-by-a-charity-37209313.html

Sounds like a lovely individual
    But he might raise 7 decent taxpayers out of their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭Odhinn

How did she end up homeless, does anyone know?

Odhinn wrote: »
    How did she end up homeless, does anyone know?

She claimed the house was reprosessed and it wasn't the first time she made the claim her home was being reprosessed

na1 wrote: »
    But he might raise 7 decent taxpayers out of their children.

Maybe he might

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Is that brat John Cash who killed the two Frenchwomen on Kylemore Rd related to her?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/drunk-driver-jailed-for-killing-french-tourists-1.831161

• Registered Users Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Gatling wrote: »
    She claimed the house was reprosessed and it wasn't the first time she made the claim her home was being reprosessed

Twice. Interesting, as I heard that she was made homeless twice allright, but it had little to do with reposession.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I saw some numpty here earlier arguing with a guy who doesnt declare tips to revenue....therefore defrauding the State.

Apparently he is worse than this Cash wan and her ilk.

Is there no limit to the amount of welfare an individual can claim?

If you hand out more than €30,000 in welfare a year to somone, sure why would they bother attempting to get a job.

I'm wondering what exactly has Cash contributed to the State or has she always just taken.

Any ablebodied person who is physically capable of working and has been on the dole for 5 years should have it scrapped.

5 years or 1,875 days is a very generous time to secure employment. Theres no excuse.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Twice. Interesting, as I heard that she was made homeless twice allright, but it had little to do with reposession.

Also faced with an uncertain future is a Tallaght family-of-eight currently “overholding” at a property in Tymon North.
    Margaret Cash and her partner John McCarthy have been living in Castle Park for the last two years.

19_Castle_Park_10_resized.jpg

The house has been sold in the last year, but despite efforts to find alternative accommodation, the only option the family were given, was a temporary weekend stay at a Gardiner Street B&B two weeks ago.

“They’re taking the mick,” said Margaret, who has been on the housing list for six years, and registered the family as homeless in May, when they were aware the new owner wanted them out.

John said: “We have four kids in school at St Aengus and don’t want to disrupt them. On top of that, we have all been living and sleeping downstairs, because the upstairs is in bad shape, with no insulation, mould, damp and a leaking roof. We just want any old place nearby and would be happy to do it up ourselves.

“We gave up our Traveller life years ago and settled down, but we don’t have a family that would be willing to take in six children.”

The family’s rent allowance is capped at €1,000, but they have found they are priced out of moving to a new property and face discrimination because of their background.

Margaret continued: “The council were aware of the repossession a year ago, but we have been getting the runaround. We’re afraid to leave the house in case the locks are changed.

“It’s causing us awful stress. We know we are not the only ones looking for a place but they do have housing. Where will we go with six children ? They’re not giving us any hope.”

http://www.echo.ie/tallaght/article/no-solution-in-sight-with-ongoing-homeless-crisis

That article is from 2015 and apparently she was on the housing list six years at that stage

She's up to 11 years in her latest claims

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

So things were pretty dire in 2015 but they still had another baby :rolleyes:

Ah sure why not

Not like they were going to be paying for the baby as the taxpayer always looks after them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

na1 wrote: »
    Let me guess: she saw that "second person" only one night, and he wore a motorcycle helmet all the time. So she couldn't identify him and let the court make him to pay the maintenance.

A court ordering maintenance payments is one thing, getting them quite another.

Has anyone actually had maintenance deducted from social welfare? I’ve never heard of it being done, only from work wages or pensions.

I’ve heard stories of people chasing fathers through the courts for years and nothing ever comes of it despite all the threats in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Theoretical situation..

If they came to me looking to rent a house from me.After a quick Google search my reply would be "Will I f**k".
    As would most sane people's response be.

Poor Margaret wouldn't agree

Margaret also confirmed she was once busted by cops for handling stolen goods when she was younger.

“That is going back years ago. That’s stupid, none of that has nothing to do with what’s going on now.

“If I was a murderer or a rapist, it wouldn’t make a difference, everybody has a human right to be housed, to have a home.

“No matter what I done in my past, it doesn’t take away the fact that I have a right to be housed.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6997892/homeless-mum-sleep-police-station-six-kids-blasts-facebook-trolls/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Since when has anyone " a right to be housed " ?

They don't but Solidarity are pushing that agenda

Dáil defeats Bill that would make housing a constitutional right
    Dun Laoghaire TD Richard Boyd Barrett has called the government “shameful” for not supporting the Bill.

THE DÁIL HAS voted to defeat a Solidarity-PBP Bill which aims to make housing a constitutional right.
    Uniting with Fianna Fáil, the government defeated the Right to Housing Bill by 73 votes to 37. Instead, the Bill is to be sent to the Oireachtas Finance Committee for consideration.

Dun Laoghaire TD Richard Boyd Barrett has called the government “shameful” for not supporting the Bill, stating that the Constitutional Convention recommended that the right to housing be included in the Constitution a number of years ago.

http://www.thejournal.ie/right-to-housing-bill-3609627-Sep2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Ah sure why not

Not like they were going to be paying for the baby as the taxpayer always looks after them

I am generally supportive of people who find themselves in these situations but I can understand although not agree with the level of venom towards this woman.

It has to be remembered that we are not always dealing with somebody with the level of maturity , foresight or living skills as some of the anonymous posters on here deem themselves to have.

This lady has a large family, maybe it's for benefits purposes or maybe it's bad sexual health , family planning or understanding. We don't know her mind.

She got PR for the sole purpose of forwarding her needs which shows a level of cuteness or feeling victim depending on how you look at it and your experience / lack of , of having been in such a situation.

She will get what she wants. I've a level of admiration for that. Alot of posters on here claim they are the "poor me" and "fools" for working to earn their 50k a year with mortgage etc.. With the level of state supports available I have to agree. They are fools. They made their choice of working to feed their lifestyle whilst this woman found an alternative path. Right?moral? productive? She won't be loosing sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I am generally supportive of people who find themselves in these situations but I can understand although not agree with the level of venom towards this woman.

It has to be remembered that we are not always dealing with somebody with the level of maturity , foresight or living skills as some of the anonymous posters on here deem themselves to have.

This lady has a large family, maybe it's for benefits purposes or maybe it's bad sexual health , family planning or understanding. We don't know her mind.

She got PR for the sole purpose of forwarding her needs which shows a level of cuteness or feeling victim depending on how you look at it and your experience / lack of , of having been in such a situation.

She will get what she wants. I've a level of admiration for that. Alot of posters on here claim they are the "poor me" and "fools" for working to earn their 50k a year with mortgage etc.. With the level of state supports available I have to agree. They are fools. They made their choice of working to feed their lifestyle whilst this woman found an alternative path. Right?moral? productive? She won't be loosing sleep.

That's some enabling bu115h1t right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

it didn't read that way to me, just a bit nihilistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Therein lies the perception / reality void

• Registered Users Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Going by this thread they should be turfed back on the streets and she should get a job.

Thats such sad reading .

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Going by this thread they should be turfed back on the streets and he should get a job.

You don't see a difference in people who have tried , worked , paid taxes and looked after themselves and those who did not at any stage ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement