Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

NIMAN wrote: »
    That's what I thought it was meant to be at first, then I phonetically said it and got foreigners

I would like to see her overt racism challenged.

Travellers aren't long playing that card if they think they are being snagged off about anything.

That is what she was trying to say.

The Fecking racist....

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭DaithiMa

This is an absolute farce of a case! She should be put to the back of the queue for her antics, instead she has somehow manoeuvred her way to the front with the help of the Irish media. How anyone could think differently after weighing up the available evidence is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I thought you only had 3 refusals before you went back down the list.

3 refusals in a 12 Month period before you get sanctioned ,
    I know a family who did just that refused 4 council properties got removed from the list only for TDs and councillors to get her not only back on the list but into the priority list

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Gatling wrote: »
    I thought you only had 3 refusals before you went back down the list.

3 refusals in a 12 Month period before you get sanctioned ,
    I know a family who did just that refused 4 council properties got removed from the list only for TDs and councillors to get her not only back on the list but into the priority list

I'd say they should be ashamed but what's the point???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Some people don't feel shame, just entitlement.

And therein lies the problem

• Advertisement

deco nate wrote: »

Some people don't feel shame, just entitlement.

And therein lies the problem

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

As I said previously in other threads on this so called homeless crisis ,

Self declaration of homeless then put into a hotel or b&b with zero financial contributions towards your room and or utilities ,free internet ,st Vincents giving you vouchers from for shopping and priority offers of housing
    (Even if working full time ) zero financial contributions made towards a hotel

And you wonder why people are flocking to declare themselves homeless .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Shame for some would be not claiming all their entitlements/freebies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Blue Magic wrote: »
    Was this lady not offered a house in some county outside Dublin and wouldn't take it... I've no link to confirm this. I just heard it...

I think the last time she was outside of Dublin she ended up in court. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

"They're saying you should be ashamed - I already know that. I am ashamed of being homeless," she told the Irish Sun.

"No matter what I have done in my past, it doesn't take away from the fact that I have a right to be housed."

This sums it all up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The hypocrisy of NT breakfast asking 'are we a welfare nation?', when all week they've been supporting and defending this chancer.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The hypocrisy of NT breakfast asking 'are we a welfare nation?', when all week they've been supporting and defending this chancer.

Playing us for idiots are the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/report-gives-stark-warning-were-a-welfare-nation-862009.html

We've become a welfare dependant nation. Shock horror with wasters like this with the mentality of gimme gimme gimme.
    JFKs ask not what your country can do for you speech is lost on so many like Cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

This story is pretty disgusting to me. Wife and I are up since before 7 getting ready for work and going taking our 12 month to the crèche on the way to work. That's the reality for a lot of people in the country and then we have to fund spoiled, petulant, fcukers like her so she can sit in a big house on her arse bringing in the equivalent of an 80k salary.

The system, her and the homelessness industry are just goading us now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Fann Linn wrote: »
    We are a welfare nation.
    But on the newstalk show (i listen every morning 6.30-7.20 or so) and they always follow the same format regardless of which 2 presenters are on:
    Raise contentious topic
    one presenter vociferously for it, and one against it

For a news station it's similar to the Adrian Kennedy show at times!

This story is pretty disgusting to me. Wife and I are up since before 7 getting ready for work and going taking our 12 month to the crèche on the way to work. That's the reality for a lot of people in the country and then we have to fund spoiled, petulant, fcukers like her so she can sit in a big house on her arse bringing in the equivalent of an 80k salary.

This is what should be front page news. She is earning the equivalent of an 80k a salary, and gets to sit at home with her kids every day. It's nauseating. Welfare is a comfortable lifestyle choice. Good honest people like Super Sonic who contribute to the country and are great example to their children should be rightly utterly disgusted by this system. I know I will be saying it to every politician that comes to my door. My next door neighbour is similar. Never worked, never will work. Almost sneers at me when I come back in from work. Yet the same woman was able to block a water meter from being put it, is able to put sinn féin posters in her window around election time. Welfare system is broken in this country. Surely the idea of it is to be a safety net. Not to create a wonderfully comfortable life equivalent or better than that of those who go out and contribute and do their 39 hours a week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

List of charities here :

https://www.charitiesregulator.ie/media/1493/public-register-july-2018.xlsx

If we could just organise a mass "strike" where everyone was on welfare it would show how ridiculous the welfare system is.
    Getting the equivalent of 80k gross for not caring about how many sprogs you spawn and being funded by central taxation is ridiculous.
    What we should learn from this is that child benefit should be capped at 2.
    And that the dole is too much, we should have a front loaded system - eg 75% of your old wages for the first month, on a sliding scale, down to €100 per week after 2 years.

ELM327 wrote: »
    And that the dole is too much, we should have a front loaded system - eg 75% of your old wages for the first month, on a sliding scale, down to €100 per week after 2 years.
    This system would be ideal. I know they have a similar system in France where your initial dole is linked to the salary in the job you last had and time spent there and gradually reduces.
    Thats a fair system of social welfare. There is still a safety net, but it cuts the lifetime dolers and actually rewards work, something we seem to be immune from doing in ireland.

ELM327 wrote: »
    If we could just organise a mass "strike" where everyone was on welfare it would show how ridiculous the welfare system is.
    Getting the equivalent of 80k gross for not caring about how many sprogs you spawn and being funded by central taxation is ridiculous.
    What we should learn from this is that child benefit should be capped at 2.

Your posts make me feel almost schizophrenic Elm! It's like reading my own words! Couldn't agree more.

• Advertisement

This system would be ideal. I know they have a similar system in France where your initial dole is linked to the salary in the job you last had and time spent there and gradually reduces.
    Thats a fair system of social welfare. There is still a safety net, but it cuts the lifetime dolers and actually rewards work, something we seem to be immune from doing in ireland.
    They have it in Germany too, I spent some time over there with friends a few years ago. They have a welfare state but they do it right... almost at nordic levels.

I hate high taxation high services fiscal policy but it's better than what we have, high taxation no services!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

How many are there now ? this was 2014:

But the area where most people would have come across this proliferation phenomenon among charities in Ireland has to do with homelessness, not least in Dublin.

In 2014 staff costs at the four main homeless agencies in the city absorbed all funds, more in instances, granted them by the State for the provision of homelessness services.

Dublin Simon, the Peter McVerry Trust, Depaul Ireland and Focus Ireland received a total of €33.6 million in grants from State agencies in 2014, but spent €35.8 million on staff costs for on the 875 people they employed in 2014 (the last year for which complete figures are available for all).

In Dublin there are eight organisations involved with the homeless, Dublin Simon, the Peter McVerry Trust, Depaul Ireland, Focus Ireland, Novas, the Salvation Army, Crosscare, and the YMCA.

Each has its own management team, its own chief executive/directors, policy teams, buildings managers, health and counselling teams, and training programmes.

The Irish Times has looked at figures for the four major homeless agencies in the city, Dublin Simon, the Peter McVerry Trust, Depaul Ireland and Focus Ireland.

In 2014, Dublin Simon’s total income was €12,519,761. It received €6,194,218 from the State. Its “average number of employees” was 188 at a total cost of €7,420,022, including wages and salaries, social security and pension.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/irish-charity-sector-is-being-drained-by-duplication-1.2717375

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Your posts make me feel almost schizophrenic Elm! It's like reading my own words! Couldn't agree more.

The thing about it is we’re all sittzing here moaning about it and there’s nothing we can really do about it as we actually have to get up to work while the welfare class can treat protests as a day out.
    Maybe what we should do is a boycott or something .
    How many people going to work in the morning listen to newstalk etc. maybe we should all switch over to another channel as a protest. The media mightn’t sing our tune but I’m pretty sure if most paye workers switched over from the breakfast show they wouldn’t be long copping on?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

This is an overview of the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act that Bill Clinton signed in 1996. It has resulted in a huge reduction in Welfare in the US. Not sure how much would work here in Ireland - a lot of the change was due to moving welfare to the States, rather than the Federal Government, and some States have cut it drastically (I think Georgia at one point recently claimed no one receiving TANF). Some of the principles seem pretty good to me - lifetime limits, enforcing child support, discouraging out-of-wedlock births, requiring work after 2 years of benefits.

Ending welfare as an entitlement program;
    Requiring recipients to begin working after two years of receiving benefits;
    Placing a lifetime limit of five years on benefits paid by federal funds;
    Aiming to encourage two-parent families and discouraging out-of-wedlock births;
    Enhancing enforcement of child support; and
    Requiring state professional and occupational licenses to be withheld from illegal immigrant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Responsibility_and_Work_Opportunity_Act#Provisions

Blazer wrote: »

The thing about it is we’re all sittzing here moaning about it and there’s nothing we can really do about it as we actually have to get up to work while the welfare class can treat protests as a day out.
    Maybe what we should do is a boycott or something .
    How many people going to work in the morning listen to newstalk etc. maybe we should all switch over to another channel as a protest. The media mightn’t sing our tune but I’m pretty sure if most paye workers switched over from the breakfast show they wouldn’t be long copping on?

The only time I've seen our interests vaguely prioritised was Leo saying he wanted to help those who get up early and he was castigated for it.

SF don't care - they seemed like they may have been for the workers but no.

Have we really gone from James Connolly and Big Jim Larkin fighting for the right to work to the left wing parties fighting for the right not to ?

I love my country but I despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭malinheader

Agree with everything that's being said but sadly can't see anyone in our government having the balls to call for a change for fear of being classed as racist or losing there seat.

Agree with everything that's being said but sadly can't see anyone in our government having the balls to call for a change for fear of being classed as racist or losing there seat.

I don't get this. I imagine it would an immensely popular move amongst the tax payers to tackle this issue. And long term unemployed who have no interest in ever finding work would obviously never vote FG so it won't affect votes from that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

This is what should be front page news. She is earning the equivalent of an 80k a salary, and gets to sit at home with her kids every day. It's nauseating. Welfare is a comfortable lifestyle choice. Good honest people like Super Sonic who contribute to the country and are great example to their children should be rightly utterly disgusted by this system. I know I will be saying it to every politician that comes to my door. My next door neighbour is similar. Never worked, never will work. Almost sneers at me when I come back in from work. Yet the same woman was able to block a water meter from being put it, is able to put sinn f posters in her window around election time. Welfare system is broken in this country. Surely the idea of it is to be a safety net. Not to create a wonderfully comfortable life equivalent or better than that of those who go out and contribute and do their 39 hours a week

Agree 100%.

There's something deeply wrong with a society when a two parent family who both work have less than someone who's on welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The tax that you pay doesn’t just fund the welfare system. It goes into funding all sorts of things that allow for the functioning of society as a whole, according to how the Government of the day chooses to spend it’s revenue. You’re not directly funding anyone, and even child benefit isn’t directly funding the parents lifestyle, as it’s intended for children. If you have children, you’re likely to qualify for the payment. You would fulfil at least one of the criteria which is that you have children. If you don’t have children, and I shouldn’t need to state the obvious but, well you don’t qualify at all for the payment and therefore aren’t entitled to claim for it.

People who don’t have children still pay tax as it goes towards providing for services for children who obviously aren’t theirs. I’d only love if I didn’t have to pay as much in tax as I do to fund other people’s lifestyle choices and services I will absolutely never have any use of, but I’m ok with paying as much tax as I do because even though I personally may never benefit from it, I know that it goes towards helping many more people who are less fortunate than I am that I don’t need assistance from the State.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan of the Welfare State by any means, and I have often argued on here that child benefit should be scrapped entirely, but when I argue for that, it’s based upon the belief that it’s just bad policy, nothing to do with curbing anyone’s lifestyle choices or any of the rest of it. I believe that the Welfare State just keeps poor people poor, it doesn’t do anything to encourage independence, but rather it fosters dependency on the State, really not the kind of thing I’d encourage anyone to imagine is an effective long term strategy.

I know this post is from a few pages back but I’m gonna try and explain something to this poster who doesn’t seem to grasp where the money comes from for the welfare system.

I pay tax. 1 million other people in this country who work pay tax. Now all this tax money goes into a pot and is mixed together in that pot with other revenue, eg property tax, v.a.t, commercial rates etc etc, it’s quite a long list.
    Now the money to fund the welfare system comes from this pot of tax that I and 1 million others have contributed to.
    So if we extrapolate this I have enabled ms cash to go out and buy her crystal, cars, and boxes of beer by my working 6 days a week and getting 50% of my earnings taken off me to fund that general taxation pot, that welfare is funded from.
    Do you think I should be happy with this situation?
    I have no problem supporting people who are in genuine need of help, however this is not a genuine case she is laughing at all the tax payers in this country, and the likes of you, the enablers, are as bad if not worse for this country.

• Advertisement

The only time I've seen our interests vaguely prioritised was Leo saying he wanted to help those who get up early and he was castigated for it.

SF don't care - they seemed like they may have been for the workers but no.

Have we really gone from James Connolly and Big Jim Larkin fighting for the right to work to the left wing parties fighting for the right not to ?

I love my country but I despair.
    If connolly or larkin were around now they would probably be accused of being centrist, it's so far to the extreme that the left wing has gone.

It's almost as if left wing now means that "de gubbernment joe" should be required to fund everyone's life.

As a staunch republican it makes me sick to think of the aspired ireland "socialist and free" which connolly et al once opined, now means an ireland with no personal responsibility but one where you can do whatever you want and the rest pick up the can. There's no excuse for being unemployed now. We're reaching full employment!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement