Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Cloudy again in Castlebar, it only got up to 17C yesterday and we will probably see similar today.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Was a lovely morning (early ) in east Galway
    Cloudy in Dublin
    Hopefully improves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Blue sky is making an appearance now in west cork, cloud burning off. 19 degrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Very disappointing weekend in East Cork bar the late sunshine yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Lovely warm sunny day in Dublin. Got the grass cut for the first time in weeks. It's 25.1C now in Glasnevin. The high was 26.5C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I've been slacking on the analogues for Autumn 2018 recently - have not posted one on here in the past two weeks. I need to stop slacking because clocks are ticking on the day of the Autumn 2018 forecast which as a reminder will be Tuesday, August 28th.

We have previously looked at the Autumns that followed on from warm Junes and hot Summers overall. Today, we're going to be looking at the Autumns that followed on from hot Julys for the sixth analogue of Autumn 2018. Like the hot Summers analogue, we're not only going to be looking at a reanalysis of the Autumns overall, we're also looking at the individual months themselves that followed on from the hot Julys.

The 500mb height anomaly reanalysis for the Autumns overall shows below average heights over the Bay of Biscay into the south of Ireland and the UK. High pressure is in the middle of the North Atlantic but it ridges back into another high over to the east of Europe. This forces the wind direction to come from a southeasterly. It looks very mild and unsettled, akin to October 2005 which had a similar pattern to what this reanalysis shows.

file.webp

The Septembers of these Autumns look to be on a knife edge between cool and very warm but what's more clear is the unsettled signal. This 500mb height anomaly reanalysis shows low pressure to the southwest of the UK and over much of both countries.

file.webp

The Octobers of these Autumns look anticyclonic but maybe on the cool side with the wind from a northerly to northeasterly direction. I am surprised to see such a reanalysis given the Octobers in the analogue. For instance, October 2006, 2013 and 1995 were very warm Octobers.

file.webp

The Novembers of these Autumns show a blocking area of high pressure over Iceland and the east of Europe with below average heights just to the south of both countries forcing the wind to come in from an easterly direction. The source of the air isn't very cold as it originates from southeastern Europe due to the alignment of the high pressure but it wouldn't be particularly mild either. If that high to the east of Europe retreated northwards through November, it would open the floodgates to cold and snowy easterlies.

file.webp

You can now see why I decided to do a month by month breakdown for this analogue, each month tends to be quite different in these Autumns. The analogue shows an unsettled September with mixed signals for temperature, an anticyclonic but chilly October and a relatively cool, unsettled November. Would make for an interesting Autumn if it verified this way. More analogues to go!

Grand ol' day with nice sunny spells in Dublin 13.

Looks like Playa del Arklow fared similar.

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1026080856618803201

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

It's been hot hot here in Lisbon with Friday temp 42.8℃
    IMAG14150_zpsblmnwunk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

@m17
    Lovely pic

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nice sunny day in County Clare, first real sun I've seen in over a week.

The muck will be back from tomorrow but not too much in the way of rain till later in the week. Next weekend is looking very cool and unsettled with plenty of rain - a complete write-off if current charts verify. Even in south-east UK, temperatures may struggle in the mid to high teens by next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Amazing how quickly that autumn feeling kicks in once August starts. I know August is meant to be a summer month but it doesnt feel like one around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Well it seems that after tuesday, the weather will take a nose dive, rain most days and feeling like autumn.

oh how i miss those hot sunny cloudless days

Really nice evening.

Pic from my friend at Brittas Bay, Wicklow.

GNhyJ19.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Well it seems that after tuesday, the weather will take a nose dive, rain most days and feeling like autumn.

what amazes me is how August is nearly always crap in Ireland but summer usually comes back first two weeks of September.

This August looks no different with Summer going down the tubes yet again.

this is why I take my annual Spanish holiday end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Must say I’m delighted we will get a respite from warm and humid weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

You will enjoy the next 10 months so

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Lovely Summers day in Waterford City where it did cloud over a little in the afternoon but sun returned.
    I fear this could be the last day like this of Summer as the Outlook is cool and changeable. Its been amazing to experience a real Summer. 2018 will long live in the memory as a great Summer.

I fear this could be the last day like this of Summer as the Outlook is cool and changeable.

Could be alot of truth in this. Since mid May, we have mostly seen 17 - 23C, often much higher. The next 1-2 weeks will mostly be 14-17C so below average temperatures for the next week or so. Once this really cool and unsettled run is over, it's almost time for Autumn, so not much heat left unless something exception occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Gonzo wrote: »
    Could be alot of truth in this. Since mid May, we have mostly seen 17 - 23C, often much higher. The next 1-2 weeks will mostly be 14-17C so below average temperatures for the next week or so. Once this really cool and unsettled run is over, it's almost time for Autumn, so not much heat left unless something exception occurs.

Don't forget the Indian Summer as soon as the Kids go back to School. Pretty sure even in Bad Summer years I rarely need to wear more than a t-Shirt on top till nearly October.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cats came in wet earlier.. The wind y'day was amazing..

On a warmer note, the blackberries are ripening so there will be JAM. :)

All weather is good; attitude is everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The East really got a great July. End of June, start of July was the best for the west. The south was somewhere in between while the North especially the North West probably had quite an average summer - a lot of days the satellite showed cloud cover.

I see why a neighbour recently retired to the far south east. So many days when there was cloud cover over the majority of the country the very south east had clear skies. Huge difference too in the rainfall amounts.

I was looking at the weather for the north west of Spain last September/early October and they were still in the early 20s. 3 or 4 months of proper sunshine/heat.

It makes you realise how rainy our climate is especially when we get those bad wet summers.

Hopefully we might still get a nice week before the cold sets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

It’s depressing to think our summer could be over. The nights are getting shorter already.
    I don’t mind the winter so much but definitely autumn is my least favourite season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Warm and humid is fine. Humid and damp grey muck is deeply unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well it has rained for the last three hours here in Leitrim. Dark miserable muck. Typical Public Holiday weather.
    The last few weeks have been poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

km79 wrote: »
    You will enjoy the next 10 months so

Yep hopefully. Thank you

in the east this summer has been great, July probably better than June with higher temperatures. Only last weekend to last Wednesday was poor.

Looks poor everywhere from tomorrow. Hopefully we will get a few more settled, warm days , we usually always get a few decent days in early September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Overcast today but still warm. It's 19.8C here in Glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Rotten day so far in west cork. Cold and a light mist which isn’t wetting anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

C`mon, cheer up lads...
    The UK's hot weather could last until October, the Met Office has said.
    In a briefing for local authorities it said above-average temperatures were more likely than below-average temperatures for the next three month period.
    Fresher, cooler temperatures are expected from the middle of this week, lasting throughout the weekend.
    But the Met Office predictions suggest hot, dry conditions could return and continue into the autumn.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45085034

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

harr wrote: »
    I have friends who live in southeast England and generally they get very good summers. I have rarely visited them in summer months where the temps have been lower than 23c .. They get very good summers most years.
    I spent a few summers in London and I think this summer has been exceptional. They do tend to get nicer summer than us in Ireland but the summers there tends to be exaggerated. From my experience there, it gets warm but usually is in the low to mid 20s. Even look at Wimbledon every year, this year was an exception but most years they are plagued with rain delays and that is why they had to put a roof over the centre court, it was so disruptive for players and the public going to the matches.
    To summarise I think the south east of England does get quite nice summers but it can be greatly exaggerated. I think statistically they get 3-4 days per year that hit 30 degrees or more. Again this summer very much an exception but this summer has been an exception everywhere including Ireland.
    Really you have to go to continental Europe to get consistently proper summers. If you cross the british channel, the likes of Paris, Lyon, Toulouse, Marseille and pretty much all the major cities are far hotter and sunnier than the south east of England. I think the likes of London are just made to look better when comparing vs the emerald isle.
    You could almost argue that Dublin has a different climate to most of Ireland in that it is so much drier on an annual basis. It is so interesting to look at annual weather data for Ireland and how dry Dublin is compared to other parts each and every year. Hard to know exactly why other than it is further from the west coast and less impacted by the Atlantic. I suppose the same is true of south east England and hence drier

Advertisement