Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭blazard

bit of a leap hotblack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

After watching Spotlight tonight you immediately recognise the similarities but you also sense that the American justice system dealt with the abuse and coverups quickly and thoroughly whereas we didn't and gave the church a handy deal and put it down to a few bad apples.

well it was/is a few bad apples, unfortunately they had a lot of power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

blazard wrote:

Well that's convienently explained away years of abuse......not!

the not,confuses your point

• Advertisement

blazard wrote:
    the not,confuses your point

It doesn't, think of it being said in the voice of Borat.

will do

No problem jack, happy to help.

Anytime you want that hug give us a shout xoxo

It starts with a hug.

These days we know much more about where it can end up.

Frank can go have his day in the park. It’ll mean SFA to me. Men in dresses. Oddball weirdos.

do you want me to give you a hug.

.....said the priest to the alter boy. We all know how that ends.

cynic

• Advertisement

blazard wrote:
    cynic

Realist.

tomato/Tomato

blazard wrote:
    tomato/Tomato

Who gives a feck/f**k

u do

blazard wrote:
    u do

Not as much as the morons. It's fun though. Takes a few seconds.

im new, i will reserve comment

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Why has the person lost credibility, is the comment untrue? Not sure if I thanked the post or not , generally though I have found the only ones who get insulting and personal are those in favour of the visit.
    This is a new thing that I've noticed on boards.
    When people run out of rational arguments (or in this case, have none to begin with) they throw out this "credibility lost" chestnut, as if that's supposed to mean something.

If you're a supporter of the catholic church paedophiles or any other paedophiles your credibility is worthless to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

This thread is as bad as the Bible,

Full of unbelievable nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Thomas_IV

optogirl wrote: »
    I don't find it shocking at all that people are negative about the catholic church. They have done a huge amount of harm to a huge amount of people.

And I am sorry but this is such simplistic nonsense. The Church has done harm but it has also done good. What about the people who live alone but great solace from going to mass every week and meeting people. The Priests in Drimnagh go out most nights and visit the sick and elderly. I suppose they're evil incarnate.

Does the good work tip the balance when the harm is taking into account and both being weitht up? You have the good examples brought up in defence of the RCC, the charity and the care taking of those in need. I have a different look at it. The charity is the field where the RCC is playing the role of the meryful and humanitarian, the abuses are the field where the RCC is exercising power upon the weaker and defenceless. This double faced role has been played by the RCC for centuries and it will go on that way as long as it exists. The branches of the Protestant Churches are no better, with dogmatics and even former hate preachers like that late Rev. Ian Paisely in NI who incited the Protestants there against the Catholics and by doing this playing the religious card which as in fact the political power and I really dare say 'racist' card in some ways.

The problems the present Pope faces with his own ideas of Reformation of the RCC in the Vatican Nomenclatura is just another example for the lust of power by the Clerus.

I think that it is hard to part one thing from another, the personality of the Pope himself as a human being and his role as the head of the RCC as they are in fact inseparable due to his office. The latter is reining him in and sets the bounds or Frame in which he can act within.

DO the thousands of people abused by the RCC care about the likes of brother kevin? No because their images are of brothers beating them and raping them.

Do the babies buried in sewers by the church care? No they don't have a chance to.
    Do the babies taken from their mothers and sold on care? No... and they probably don't know in some cases that they were even sold, such was the control the church had over society.

For every one good story about people in the RCC there are thousands of abuse survivors.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The catholic church is an organisation that people choose to be a part of and/or support.

Trying to make an analogy with race based crimes is totally nonsensical.[/quote]

I don't think so because abuse is abuse and there is always a victim that suffers from that, no matter what the religious or racial background.

Everyone is so goddamn touchy about something that happened like 50 years ago.

What about the US government, they enslaved black people and oppressed them 50 years ago too.

Despite the fact that the majority of you don't like Donald Trump because you're all boring left wingers, would that mean that you would never go to see a president? Like Barrack Obama, he's black....

50 years ago?  I cant believe anybody could be so ignorant on the subject and have such strong opinions.

Well, he is an self admitted Trump supporter isn't he? I am not surprised to read such inaccuracy like that in his post. The one that followed of him says is all (... you are all boring left wingers ...).

Children and the most vunerable in society have been , and are being, abused in every conceivable fashion-even as we speak. That abuse is all  around us , in the clergy, in the home, in fact anywhere you care to think of. Human trafficking is at an all time high  and slavery or as near to slavery that makes no difference is rampant throughout the world. But some rather than attempt to do anything about it( is it on the manifesto of any western political party ? ) prefer to try and sate their conscience by pointing  at the Pope  and going tut tut while continuing to buy the merchandise produced by slave and child labour.

What did the RCC do in the past to stop slavery and child labour? What is the RCC doing to stop that today?

To everybody with a wide knowledge of things it is clear that the RCC is no better than their equivalents in politics and other fields of society. One can put all that to one thing, it is all human, the good and the bad because there are no such 'pure' good humans. Everyone of us bears both sides in himself, the good and the bad, depending on the environment and the circumstances one lives in.

It's embarrassing to see grown adults fuss over a well meaning if deluded man who believes fantasy should be taken as gospel, pun intended.
    The Pope coming brings us all back to the question nothing dark days.

I would like to see the Pope apologise to the Irish people for the criminal organisation he leads.

Good suggestion as I would like to see all the leaders of the Islamic world, politicians and religious leaders alike to apologise to all the people who lost relatives and suffered injuries at the Hands of their radicals who think that it is OK to establish an barbaric and horrible state in the name of Islam like ISIL did and send terror bombers around the world to kill innocent people. That would be as good as an apology from the Pope to the Irish People.

I think that we can wait a long wait for that to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

You're right to stand by it.....they did cover up abuse. Is that even a debate ? Hard to believe if it is.

+1
    This is a trend in After Hours and some other fora here.
    If the mod disagrees with your stance you receive warnings and infractions willy nilly. But if the mod agrees with your stance you can insult people willy nilly.
    I reported a number of posts where I was personally insulted and nothing happens, but like you I receive warnings for making statements that people disagree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

blazard wrote: »

If you want to rationalise it that way, fair enough...but it shows extreme igorance on your part. You will need very heavy blinkers on you to achieve that delusion.

If you saw the Spotlight movie, you will know that the Spotlight team uncovered 87 priests that had abused children in the Boston archdiocese alone. 249 priests and brothers were publicly accused of sexual abuse in that one diocese. You also have to remember that many of the victims did not come forward or had committed suicide.
    They were aided and abetted by a Catholic hierarchy that covered up and moved on abusers again and again without sanction.
    The Roman church initially dealt with the victims outside of law courts to avoid public scrutiny and performed major smear campaigns on the good citizens who tried to highlight the abuse. The way the abuse was handled throughout the U.S. was clearly orchestrated from Vatican to minimise exposure and costs.

• Advertisement

Advertisement