Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Grant now Available - SEAI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

kceire wrote: »
    Just seen it now over on Facebook.

https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-grants/solar-pv/
    Nice one. I recognise one of the names on the list of registered contractors so must give them a call next year maybe.
    A FIT would really kick this off ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Dardania wrote: »
    Nice one. I recognise one of the names on the list of registered contractors so must give them a call next year maybe.
    A FIT would really kick this off ;-)

FIT and no subsidy would have kicked things off a lot more than this. A shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 goldfish

A FIT is never going to happen. Hardware prices have dropped dramatically over the last number of years. The real issue is install costs. I've heard "we can't drop install prices because the volume just isn't there". Let's see what happens now.
    A 2 kW system (6-7 panels) will generate a grant of c. Euro 1,400.
    In theory an installed system should be 3k incl vat . After the grant is deducted you're talking c. 1,600 - PV is no longer a "considered purchase" and you're into single digit payback period.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 goldfish

One condition of scheme that I do note is that you have to get a BER post installation to get the grant....hmmm sneaky terms and conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

They said it would be backdated to when the announcement was made earlier this year. I went ahead and installed and now they say the grant is only available for installations after 31/7 FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Why are houses built since 2011 excluded from this scheme?

Also Minister Naughten mentioned that an EU directive on feed in tariffs is imminent, does anyone know anything more about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Also Minister Naughten mentioned that an EU directive on feed in tariffs is imminent, does anyone know anything more about this?
    When did part L of the building code start ? Houses built since then should have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Don’t like the battery element, it just odds cost. Net metering would be much more effective and doesn’t rely on a FIT

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

goldfish wrote: »
    One condition of scheme that I do note is that you have to get a BER post installation to get the grant....hmmm sneaky terms and conditions!

That’s standard with all SEAI grants.

Renewable elements were mandatory from 2011 Part L so it may be deemed that they are not required at this time. The dates always change, it’s to bring older housing stock into a better efficiency rating and lower CO2 emissions.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Don’t like the battery element, it just odds cost. Net metering would be much more effective and doesn’t rely on a FIT

Net metering would be great alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

I always thought a feed in tariff would be preferable to a grant and encourages conservation. But subsidising battery storage isn't a bad second choice.

Batteries are down to about €900 plus VAT for 2+kwhrs. So if you are putting in a PV system a small battery will give you off-grid functionality during power cuts and allow your first early evening power consumption to be FOC. The hybrid inverter to do all this would only add a small amount to the system cost. When we get smart meters, early evening power consumption will be the expensive bit.

But I wonder why they didn't make the battery a price per KwHr. As things stand, you can opt for a single 2kwhr battery and claim the grant. There is no extra funding to pay for a bigger battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

I'm at the stage where I'm fitting out my house. It's getting a heat pump. I think it might be worth my while getting the main board made up to accept the PVs now in the hope of them becoming available to all down the line.

Be some job if I could offset some of my heating costs with this. Saying that I work for an electrical contractor and we put a meter on some panels we had to install for a commercial client and the power they were generating on a cloudy day was abysmal.

Tefral wrote: »
    I'm at the stage where I'm fitting out my house. It's getting a heat pump. I think it might be worth my while getting the main board made up to accept the PVs now in the hope of them becoming available to all down the line.

Be some job if I could offset some of my heating costs with this. Saying that I work for an electrical contractor and we put a meter on some panels we had to install for a commercial client and the power they were generating on a cloudy day was abysmal.

Put the relevant RCBO on the board. Run a 10mm sq cable from it to the termination point in the attic space roughly where the panels will go in the future. Sorted.

6mm Sq may be ok actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

Guys, posted this in another thread but just repeating it here as well.

Not sure if the Home Renovation Incentive scheme has been mentioned before. If not... You can claim the VAT element back on works of €5000 and above, once the work is carried out by a "tax compliant contractor". So if you are a taxpayer, you can get 13.5% back over 2 years on your income tax. At the moment this scheme is only open until the end of 2018 but maybe it will be extended.

Has anyone availed of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Using it for kitchen renovation not PV.

jt_dublin wrote: »
    Guys, posted this in another thread but just repeating it here as well.

Not sure if the Home Renovation Incentive scheme has been mentioned before. If not... You can claim the VAT element back on works of €5000 and above, once the work is carried out by a "tax compliant contractor". So if you are a taxpayer, you can get 13.5% back over 2 years on your income tax. At the moment this scheme is only open until the end of 2018 but maybe it will be extended.

Has anyone availed of this?

No use as you have to reduce by a certain amount to allow for the grant you are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

kceire wrote: »
    No use as you have to reduce by a certain amount to allow for the grant you are getting.

Are you 100% sure about that ?

niallers1 wrote: »
    Are you 100% sure about that ?

From revenue :
    How much is the HRI tax credit?
    The amount of HRI credit depends on:

the amount you spend on qualifying works
    any grant, insurance or compensation claim you may receive during the allowed period of the incentive.
    If there is no grant, insurance or compensation claim, the lowest tax credit amount for a property is €595 (€4,405 x 13.5%). The highest tax credit amount is €4,050 (€30,000 x 13.5%).
    Grant payment

If you receive a grant for qualifying work then the total qualifying expenditure will be reduced by three times the grant amount. For example an insulation grant from the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI).

https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/home-renovation-incentive/hri-for-homeowners-and-landlords/value-of-the-hri-tax-credit.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I always thought a feed in tariff would be preferable to a grant and encourages conservation. But subsidising battery storage isn't a bad second choice.

Batteries are down to about €900 plus VAT for 2+kwhrs. So if you are putting in a PV system a small battery will give you off-grid functionality during power cuts and allow your first early evening power consumption to be FOC. The hybrid inverter to do all this would only add a small amount to the system cost. When we get smart meters, early evening power consumption will be the expensive bit.

But I wonder why they didn't make the battery a price per KwHr. As things stand, you can opt for a single 2kwhr battery and claim the grant. There is no extra funding to pay for a bigger battery.

Does that mean you could put a 4/5kw system in with just a 2kwhr battery to avail of the battery grant?

• Advertisement

Yes. There's no mention of a minimum battery size

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

unkel wrote: »
    Yes. There's no mention of a minimum battery size

Thats actually quite good. Could a 2nd battery be added later?

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Thats actually quite good. Could a 2nd battery be added later?

yes . Master battery and follow on slave batteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I found H E R E these storage units...most of them works at 48V only.
    So,retrofitting an existing PV system will make things very very hard !
    For a new system,it could be that the inverter is hybrid or ... is compatible somehow with 48V from PVs than UPit to 220v after inverter !?

Not so good news for the pioneers...

Hi Rolion, Are you saying newer batteries are 48v?

rolion wrote: »
    So,retrofitting an existing PV system will make things very very hard !

Not really. But you'd have to replace your inverter with a hybrid inverter. Easy job, but those inverters are expensive.

You could go AC battery too...

I just spotted on the ESAI website that the scheme doesn't start until October BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Very interested in solar panels.
    Can anyone with experience in this field tell me what a suitable system would cost me.
    Just checked my electric bill and I've used 7500 Kwhs in the past 12 months. I have a combi boiler and no tank for hot water so batteries would be the way to go for me.
    How much could I offset the bill which is at 115 euro a month with the big switch discount from Bord gais.
    I'd like to half my bill would that be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Not really. But you'd have to replace your inverter with a hybrid inverter. Easy job, but those inverters are expensive.

I just spotted on the ESAI website that the scheme doesn't start until October BTW
    they mentioned they will backdate to announcement date which was last day of July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

niallers1 wrote: »
    Hi Rolion, Are you saying newer batteries are 48v?

Dunno yet...looks like the smart & managed systems are mostly in 48V so they are connected PV panel in parallel (not series as most of ours today) and then going to inverter and they will need to talk via a cable ? Thats why most of them neeeds a designated / build for type standards inverter.
    Me,can't find any storage systems that works with a ABB type inverter.

Found some LG,Samsung and Powerwall that are AC linked but not sure and too happy to leave it there...i prefer before the inverter where it will take a direct charge DC current...

Still doing my home work here...i know how to get an hybrid system but only a grant type battery storage,still researching... More study HERE to avoid confussion.

For existing systems, it will be out of reach financially.. today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Advertisement