Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar PV Grant now Available - SEAI

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

niallers1 wrote: »
    I bet if there was support for her in the court that she would be allowed to keep them.

Any green party members or friends of the earth members looking at this ðŸ˜
    A trip down to Limerick with banners and flags to support her would help everybody .

A bit shocking but the law is old and it needs to be adjusted to today's reality.
    You cannot break the law but you can bend it !?

I am planning to get there with some banners not to help the girl but to be beside her,she is the first case and maybe more to follow...

I have a van and 2 free seats.
    I can help anyone to get there...plenty of space in the back for banners.

Who's with me !? Looking for ideas for banners ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

rolion wrote: »
    A bit shocking but the law is old and it needs to be adjusted to today's reality.
    You cannot break the law but you can bend it !?

I am planning to get there with some banners not to help the girl but to be beside her,she is the first case and maybe more to follow...

I have a van and 2 free seats.
    I can help anyone to get there...plenty of space in the back for banners.

Who's with me !? Looking for ideas for banners ...

Sounds like a good idea.

However, I'd suggest that someone ask if the lady would want that. Perhaps she doesn't want a big cufuffle and/or there may be more to the case than meets the eye??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

I'm sure she would be delighted t have some support. I'm also thinking about supporting her. I've already mentioned it to the green party on Twitter. They seem interested.
    Could be a good opportunity to highlight the nonsensical arbitrary law and that it needs to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

farcical case over ridiculous regulations

The court heard there is a planning exemption for erecting solar panels on up to 50 per cent of a roof on a domestic dwelling.

why, so members of the public aren't deprived of being able to see more roof tiles?

I was following this before it went to court.
    Some local complained to the council and subsequently withdrew his complaint but by then the wheels were set in motion and that's when "computer said no" and "jobsworth" mode set in at the council.

And believe it or not they gave approval for two solar huge farms in the city (Annacotty/ lisnagry) at the same time.

Go figure that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Is any of this to do with the weight of the panels on the roof and it's ability to hold them?

No. It's to do with a law that is designed for solar thermal. Not solar PV . The same law is being applied to solar PV.

Law needs to change or at least be amended to consider Solar PV properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Griffinx

Has anyone received the grant yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Griffinx wrote: »
    Has anyone received the grant yet?

Application process doesn't even open till October I believe

DC Conductors
    SEAI wrote:
    For long runs of DC cables an earthed metal trunking system must be used

Why, if...?
    SEAI wrote:
    String fuses are required in arrays with more than 2 strings (i.e. 3 or greater) and are typically not required in a domestic installation.

SEAI wrote:
    DC connectors (typically MC4) must be rated to IP21, class II, shrouded, and must be labelled positive and negative

because they interface this means every junction will contain connectors with contradictory markings.

Power Converters
    SEAI wrote:
    Have a rated efficiency of >95%
    rated efficiency is not actual efficiency

SEAI wrote:
    - Have an AC power rating of 80% or more of the DC peak power (Wp) of the PV module array

So any upgrades will require a second inverter instead of over-specing the inverter to add more solar later?
    SEAI wrote:
    The inverter will be specified and commissioned to operate within the maximum parameters of the PV module array, and will maximise the PV output and allow for connection to the consumer unit in the dwelling

I'll believe that when I see it. 250Vmp arrays for everyone on 10mm² cable.
    SEAI wrote:
    A separate metering device must be supplied, on the AC side of the inverter, which records the energy generated (in kWh) by the solar PV system. This metering device must be capable of accurately measuring, recording and displaying the energy generated and must not be reset during prolonged loss of power.

with no mention of calibration criteria or accuracy tolerances.
    SEAI wrote:
    The inverter must at a minimum measure, record, and display the generated AC energy (kWh) for that day, week, month and year. The display function can be either through an integrated display screen on the inverter, or through a web based portal, smart phone app, or remote display within the home. This display
    must provide a simple indication to the homeowner that the solar generation system is not working normally, or has failed.

Why can't I do that externally?
    Why is DC metering not relevant?

Battery

SEAI wrote:
    AC connected BESS, where the battery is connected on the AC side of the PV inverter

You cannot connect a battery to AC without damaging it...
    ...without a charger or rectifier in between...in which case it is DC coupled!
    SEAI wrote:
    The below battery energy storage systems are not considered acceptable (unless specifically approved BEFORE installation by SEAI) for the Scheme
    - Flooded lead acid batteries
    - Flow batteries

:eek: Excuse me? Under what grounds?
    These are the best two kinds.

Diverters

SEAI wrote:
    Have a controlled diversion system which matches the amount of power diverted to the..X.. to the power which otherwise would be exported (i.e. the diversion controller has a variable or incremental output)

Don't Dare share your power!

Elephant in the Room

Why incentivise lossy batteries, with lossy chargers and lossy double conversion inverters, rather than just offer a supplier price-matched feed in tarriff for a much higher efficiency system, to export power your neighbours can use. Instead of wasting power heating semi-conductors on a consumable appliance that has zero (arguably negative) return on investment??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭necstandards

Sorry to open an old thread. I read this grant is to end later this month.. i wonder will it be extended??

Advertisement