Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Bit of casual xenophobia sure, this thread is headed in a great direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Short term students are certainly not low value tourists. (Ask any parent who sends kids abroad.)

DB has plenty spare buses during the summer. If it is really possible to pack buses with these hordes paying €1.50 a punter, then DB should be doing more of it, not less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Bambi wrote: »
    Not your bus, it's mine. Tax payer vs employee :D. The horde doesn't actually affect me, I'm on the bus before these guys and I have really good headphones. Hate to disappoint. :o The punters you're flying past on griffith avenue and drumcondra road might feel differently though. The people who couldn't get off at their stop because the saloon and stairs were blocked by students might also want a word with you.

But yeah, good luck luring the public out of cars onto meat wagons, credible strategy that.

They're most certainly are not just travelling off peak, there was a trend last year for that but not this year. Bit suspicious of your credentials now tbh.

Interesting to note that the hordes around Trinity are mostly using private transport, perhaps Trinity has that bit more classs. :D

We need less bottom tier tourists not more, Dublin is at peak tourist, as are many european cities. Quality not quantity required.

Oddy enough,as a fellow Tax-Payer,I hereby claim my share of "my" bus too ....;)

Perhaps your "Really Good" headphones prevent you hearing the request to move down the back or,God forrbid,go upstairs to join Johnny Foreigner :eek: ?

This year,I find the Leaders particularly pro-active,with getting larger groups on board quickly,then doing the Leap Tagging themselves,or approaching the Busdriver to enquire about available space before boarding their charges..all contributing to a somewhat less fraught experience overall.

You can be as suspicious of my credentials as you like,but last week,for example,at 0810 in the morning I was able to clear all intending passengers from Ballymun Road to Dorset St,before any capacity issue arose.

I would also challenge your description of the teenage Foreign Student market as being Low-Rent.
    For many years we kept foreign students in our home,and became more than aware of their Family backgrounds,and Low Rent would not be an accurate description of the entire sector.

Remember it's not just the Student that matters,but their broader family & friends who will,hopefully,get the positive feedback from their couple of weeks En Irlanda....assuming,that is,they havent been bitten by a Bambi on the 13 Bus.

To be honest,the most credible strategy for folks who feel mass Public Transit is a bit TOO Public,IS the Private Car or Private Hire route,as long as they are prepared to pay the necessary premium.....Happy Days,as you waft past behind blacked out privacy glass,gesturing contentedly at the "bottom tier" ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Anyone who thinks foreign exchange students are "low rent tourists" clearly hasn't seen a breakdown of costs. Most of them are on programmes which cost thousands, between tuition, hosting, and other fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The people who couldn't get off at their stop because the saloon and stairs were blocked by students might also want a word with you.

There are many issues with Dublin Bus.

This is not one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

We need less bottom tier tourists not more, Dublin is at peak tourist, as are many european cities. Quality not quantity required.

They pay thousands of euro to MLI which is taxed
    MLI employs hundreds of people to assist them
    MLI pays DCU, UCD, Griffith college etc. to use their buildings
    They use teaching and student accommodation spaces that would normally be empty during the summer
    They pay to use public transport off peak

They are not bottom tier tourists. They actually make great use of underused resources and pay a lot for the privilege. And you're really clutching at straws trying to paint this as related to BusConnects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Good news on the new table proposed by Bus Connects. I believe the majority of passengers just need to know how their existing commute will change. Many find the maps confusing and hard to follow, especially when dealing with brand new route numbers.

I hope the forthcoming comparison route table is fair and honest. There are a lot of good changes planned, but there will also be disruption for many commuters. Bus Connects really need to be honest here in highlighting the negatives alongside the benefits. I felt the initial proposal, as good and detailed as it was, really fell short in explaining how existing passengers will now have to make their journey.

Be clear where route frequency is increasing and about the benefits of the new spines, but also be honest where links are being removed and services cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

MJohnston wrote: »
    Bit of casual xenophobia sure, this thread is headed in a great direction.

No xenophobia, In fact I never mentioned nationality and I quite like the Spanish. Only people who mentioned nationality was yourself and Aleksmart who also seems to have an odd problem with local youngsters but sure no harm there I guess. :confused:

No xenophobia, In fact I never mentioned nationality and I quite like the Spanish. Only people who mentioned nationality was yourself and Aleksmart who also seems to have an odd problem with local youngsters but sure no harm there I guess. :confused:

"We need less bottom tier tourists"

"Quality not quantity required."

Take your head out of your arse. You might want to take the overwhelmingly negative response to your posts on board when you're considering who is at fault here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Right all, less discussion about the alleged minuses and pluses of foreign students and their use of public transport and more on the Dublin Bus Network.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Jarrett wades into the debate, taking on the naysayers head on

https://twitter.com/humantransit/status/1023945189780586496?s=19

Ugh "Lovin Dublin". The only thing they love is flinging stories at the wall with little or no research. They're all bloggers and influences, not journalists, and now they're trying to pass themselves off as that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I noticed quite a few of my friends who share stories from Lovin Dublin on Facebook from time to time though and I always thought that some of the articles looked poorly researched, but if they are just bloggers or influencers that explains why.

I note that Jarrett Walker has now added a comment to that article himself and has explicitly called out the NBRU - seems they're having quite a fierce debate about it on twitter still.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

devnull wrote: »
    I noticed quite a few of my friends who share stories from Lovin Dublin on Facebook from time to time though and I always thought that some of the articles looked poorly researched, but if they are just bloggers or influencers that explains why.

I note that Jarrett Walker has now added a comment to that article himself and has explicitly called out the NBRU - seems they're having quite a fierce debate about it on twitter still.

The first of the NTA's "Busconnects Roadshows"....in association with Bus Atha Cliath is being staged in Charlestown Shopping Centre Finglas on Thursday 2nd August from 1400 to 2000 (2PM to 8PM in old money)

It will be interesting to see if the NTA can regain control over their own proposal at this point,given the headstart they provided the opposition with.

The NTA as of now,really do need to learn very rapidly about damage limitation and programme management.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

https://twitter.com/humantransit/status/1024057148538380289

So it appears the NBRU and Dermot may have been so busy being outraged they haven't gotten around to reading the report.

So it appears the NBRU and Dermot may have been so busy being outraged they haven't gotten around to reading the report.

NBRU's response is basically "no fair, you're using a survey that was conducted before politicians and the media started stirring up shít about the project"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It was always going to be a tough battle to fight for the NTA and Jarrett. I have however noticed that Jarretts tweets regarding bus connects tend to get more likes then NBRU tweets regarding tweets bus connects whenever there is a spat.

Not too many people bar the usual suspects like Thomas O'Connor an NBRU rep and "Anthony Privatisation" whose account seems to resemble some of the re reg trolls accounts which have appeared on this website in recent months. Far more Twitter users defending and liking Jarretts tweets.

I try to be positive and hope that the proof will be in the pudding when the results of the survey and public consultation are in and not now with all these unofficial public meetings, Twitter and media scaremongering. I would like to think that the general population have better things to be doing than engaging in the NBRUs Twitter account.

I was surprised with the somewhat positive reaction at the DCC's Transport SPC. I do however think the bigger challenge will be at the infrastructure when it comes to making CPO's.

Do we know the reason for excluding commuter rail passengers from the new 90 minute fare structure? It seems odd when they are encouraging passengers to use multiple modes to complete journeys. When you consider places like Maynooth, Broombridge and Clonsilla, and changing to Luas or bus to continue your journey but being separate from the fare cap, it throws another obstacle into the Bus Connects project.

A lot of people are asking Transport For Ireland for more information on Twitter following their tweet promoting the 90 minute fare, but they’re not offering any clarity on questions being asked.

KD345 wrote: »
    Do we know the reason for excluding commuter rail passengers from the new 90 minute fare structure? It seems odd when they are encouraging passengers to use multiple modes to complete journeys. When you consider places like Maynooth, Broombridge and Clonsilla, and changing to Luas or bus to continue your journey but being separate from the fare cap, it throws another obstacle into the Bus Connects project.

A lot of people are asking Transport For Ireland for more information on Twitter following their tweet promoting the 90 minute fare, but they’re not offering any clarity on questions being asked.

It makes no sense really, and from reading the BusConnects report it seems like JW consider this a really important addition but they're not sure if it'll happen or not.

Maynooth is only 3km further away from Connolly than Bray, yet not subject to the same far cost. Maybe they're making too much money from the commuter fares?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spoonerhead

I recently got a full time job on the route of the 17 bus, which I’m now using 10-12 times per week. Should I stay in this employment when this bus is taken off the roads, I’ll probably up up paying double for my weekly transport.

Now to get to my point, I could be in the minority who happen to depend on this route. But if my €5:10 fares per day go up would I not be better off getting a car?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MJohnston wrote: »
    It makes no sense really, and from reading the BusConnects report it seems like JW consider this a really important addition but they're not sure if it'll happen or not.

Maynooth is only 3km further away from Connolly than Bray, yet not subject to the same far cost. Maybe they're making too much money from the commuter fares?

Yes, it does seem like this is money related.

https://twitter.com/humantransit/status/1023229459854282752

I recently got a full time job on the route of the 17 bus, which I’m now using 10-12 times per week. Should I stay in this employment when this bus is taken off the roads, I’ll probably up up paying double for my weekly transport.

Now to get to my point, I could be in the minority who happen to depend on this route. But if my €5:10 fares per day go up would I not be better off getting a car?

Where do you get the 17 from and to? It's quite a winding route, so it's hard to guess

Route 17 will be replaced by a number of local and orbital services.

From Rialto, route S2 will serve Herberton Road, Sundrive Road and replace current route 18 towards Sandymount. The D4 will now link Dolphin’s Barn to Crumlin Village.

From Kimmage Road West, route 17 is replaced by new route S4 towards UCD via Terenure, Dartry, Milltown and Clonskeagh.

The section of route 17 between Terenure and Rathfarnham can be linked with routes A3, A4, 16 or 234.

From Rathfranmham, route 17 is replaced by new routes S6 and S7 towards Blackrock, serving Nutgrove, Dundrum, Goatstown and UCD.

You can change as often as you like within 90 minutes and be charged just the one fare.

Where is your start and end point on the 17?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Where's the commute to and from? The fares could go up in the mean time anyway but Leap fares have been frozen for the last couple of years.

When bus connects is implemented you have to remember if your commute requires a change you won't have to double pay on a Leap card it will be a 90 minute flat fare so if you get on a second bus within 90 mins the fare will be the same.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Out of curiosity, where did you hear about this plan? Any particular news outlet, meeting etc.?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Been reading Jarrett's tweets and he has been doing an excellent job in trying to counter misinformation and fearmongering.

What I found interesting is one person tweeted him about how bad the reaction in Dublin has been and he replied saying it was worse in some American cities (Houston & Richmond in particular).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

marno21 wrote: »
    What I found interesting is one person tweeted him about how bad the reaction in Dublin has been and he replied saying it was worse in some American cities (Houston & Richmond in particular).

hardly surprising tbh. I bet it's the worst reaction he's had anywhere.
    Its the same anytime any sort of transport change is mentioned.
    Even something as simply a re-routing the 46a out of Monkstown Farm Rd had the whole place in utter meltdown.

nobody, not the press or politicians, bothers to note the positives in these debates, only the negatives and how the poor and vulnerable will be completely devastated by the change. No one ever admits in hindsight either that it all worked out very well, no one lost out and lots of people are better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Darn, just seeing the tweets now. NBRU do not like this at all, at all.

I'm not seeing much positivity or any attitude that suggests that change is needed! Very negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Darn, just seeing the tweets now. NBRU do not like this at all, at all.

I'm not seeing much positivity or any attitude that suggests that change is needed! Very negative.
    it's weird - surely if BusConnects is successful, it'll drive demand for drivers, and thereby more union members for the NBRU?

What is their actual problem?

Advertisement