Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Changes to Improve City Center Journeys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

psinno wrote: »
    Alternatively everything shifts to out of town shopping centers and business parks.

This line always gets pulled out anytime a tiny restrictions on cars is suggested. I don't know anybody who drives into town to do their shopping. Nobody I know does it. Why? Because it's frustrating and expensive, and it needs to be more frustrating for the city centre to be able to thrive. Cars should not rule the streets between the canals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Saw a transit van/minibus flying up the Luas track lane in College St this evening. Astonishing, first time I've seen that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

john boye wrote: »
    Saw a transit van/minibus flying up the Luas track lane in College St this evening. Astonishing, first time I've seen that.

The Garda spend all their money on Armed Response Units these days, and nothing else. Visible policing is dead, and it's massive problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Seen it before - was a maintenance van of kinds so wasnt sure if it was a Luas van

This wasn't a Luas van, it was a silver minibus with no branding. He then muscled his way into the traffic outside Trinity and continued on to Grafton St lower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

This wasn't a Luas van, it was a silver minibus with no branding. He then muscled his way into the traffic outside Trinity and continued on to Grafton St lower.

Perhaps it was impersonating a Luas if it was silver :D

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Perhaps it was impersonating a Luas if it was silver :D

Hadn't thought of that, maybe it was a rush hour extra!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Qrt wrote: »
    This line always gets pulled out anytime a tiny restrictions on cars is suggested. I don't know anybody who drives into town to do their shopping. Nobody I know does it. Why? Because it's frustrating and expensive, and it needs to be more frustrating for the city centre to be able to thrive. Cars should not rule the streets between the canals.

Not sure what you mean by "doing their shopping" but I don't know any city centre where retailing is not a major or the main reason for visiting: London, Paris, Madrid, Berlin... Personally I know lots of people who drive into the city centre to go to shops, cafes, restaurants galleries, etc.

Nobody is suggesting that cars should "rule the streets between the canals" but your dogmatic wish drive out all cars by making it "more frustrating" for motorists in order, as you imagine it, "for the city centre to be able to thrive" is misguided. The European cities I mention above all have excellent public transport provision (unlike Dublin) but many people still prefer to come into the city centre by car for a range of reasons.

Ernest wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by "doing their shopping" but I don't know any city centre where retailing is not a major or the main reason for visiting: London, Paris, Madrid, Berlin... Personally I know lots of people who drive into the city centre to go to shops, cafes, restaurants galleries, etc.

Nobody is suggesting that cars should "rule the streets between the canals" but your dogmatic wish drive out all cars by making it "more frustrating" for motorists in order, as you imagine it, "for the city centre to be able to thrive" is misguided. The European cities I mention above all have excellent public transport provision (unlike Dublin) but many people still prefer to come into the city centre by car for a range of reasons.

The vast majority of Dublin has a pretty good bus service. A lot of the reason people drive into town is down to plain snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Cars cause air pollution.

Cars cause noise pollution.

Cars can badly injure/kill people.

Cars make city centers unpleasant for pedestrians and cyclists who don’t cause pollution.

Cars are an inefficient way of transporting people.

By and large restricting cars access to city centers is a great thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I'm not sure making it "infeasible to make a journey by car" really counts as "tiny restrictions on cars".

I don't really buy into the ideological idea that restrictions on cars have only one possible outcome which is the one people dogmatically are pursuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

The vast majority of Dublin has a pretty good bus service. A lot of the reason people drive into town is down to plain snobbery.

Give me the same bus service I have Monday to Friday over the weekend and then I won't drive into town on weekends.

London - congestion charge for vast areas of the city centre:

congestion-charge-map.jpg

Paris - attempting to create large areas of car free zones.

Madrid - complete car ban in city centre:

Area-central-cero-emisiores_EDIIMA20170920_0985_28.jpg

Berlin - banning cars from a major city centre street

If you're holding these cities up as exemplars, then there's no reason Dublin shouldn't have a ban on cars on the Quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

The vast majority of Dublin has a very unreliable bus service.

I hate driving. Absolutely loathe it. Put off learning to drive for years, and still only do it when I absolutely have to. Always used to maintain that if you're living in a modern city with modern public transport , you don't need to drive. Eventually gave up on that notion, because we don't have anything remotely near that. With the public transport we have in this city, and the organisations that run it, banning cars from the city centre is a non-runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

MOH wrote: »
    The vast majority of Dublin has a very unreliable bus service.

I hate driving. Absolutely loathe it. Put off learning to drive for years, and still only do it when I absolutely have to. Always used to maintain that if you're living in a modern city with modern public transport , you don't need to drive. Eventually gave up on that notion, because we don't have anything remotely near that. With the public transport we have in this city, and the organisations that run it, banning cars from the city centre is a non-runner.

Really? Vast covers a lot of ground.

Maybe you can pinpoint the very unreliable bus.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Q2_2017_Dublin_Bus_Performance_Report.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The European cities I mention above all have excellent public transport provision (unlike Dublin) but many people still prefer to come into the city centre by car for a range of reasons.

That's coming to an abrupt end. More and more of Europe is tackling car usage in the Cities. There'll be heavy restrictions on diesel in the coming months and years across Europe and there'll be a number of entirely car free cities by the middle of the century. Lots of cities are having car free days right now and that number is only expanding.

Don't be absurd! Cars are more comfortable and take you where exactly you want to go, when you want to go and enables you to carry things easily. Its nothing to do with snobbery! It's to do with comfort and convenience.

As to the "pretty good bus service", Dublin has only a bus service - except for a few lucky areas of the city which have the DART or these trams that crawl along blocking the streets. Cities with good transport systems have underground or elevated electric trains covering most of these cities. Nobody would really choose to use those noisy, unventilated, uncomfortable buses, given a better alternative such as cars or a metro system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Nobody would really choose to use those noisy, unventilated, uncomfortable buses

I find the Dublin Bus fleet to be largely quiet, well ventilated and comfortable. When were you last on one?

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Really?  Vast  covers a lot of ground.    

Maybe you can pinpoint the very unreliable bus.    

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Q2_2017_Dublin_Bus_Performance_Report.pdf

On my local route one in every 21 scheduled services doesn't operate.

That's two missing buses per month for a daily commuter.
    Another two buses per month depart more than five minutes after their scheduled time.

I wouldn't call that a reliable service.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Don't be absurd! Cars are more comfortable and take you where exactly you want to go, when you want to go and enables you to carry things easily. Its nothing to do with snobbery! It's to do with comfort and convenience.

In the city centre though, cars don't bring you to exactly where you want to go, they bring you to whatever parking spot you can find, whether that's on-street or in a parking lot. It's pretty rare that you'll get a parking spot right next to wherever you want to go, unless you're just planning on going to a shopping centre.

• Advertisement

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I find the Dublin Bus fleet to be largely quiet, well ventilated and comfortable. When were you last on one?

I use buses frequently as the nearest bus stop to my house is closer than the nearest DART station. Off-peak they may be quieter but never as comfortable as the DART, as they sway uncomfortably when they swing into stops and swing back out into traffic, and vibrate and shudder due to diesel engines.
    As for peak travel....buses are stuffy as windows are never open especially in winter when they fog-up making identification of location difficult - not to mention spreading germs from people crammed closely together......

Not to mention anti-social behavior on buses:
    https://www.independent.ie/opinion/casual-nastiness-left-me-feeling-like-a-coward-37164042.html

Is it any wonder many people prefer to go by car rather than by bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I use buses frequently as the nearest bus stop to my house is closer than the nearest DART station. Off-peak they may be quieter but never as comfortable as the DART, as they sway uncomfortably when they swing into stops and swing back out into traffic, and vibrate and shudder due to diesel engines.
    As for peak travel....buses are stuffy as windows are never open especially in winter when they fog-up making identification of location difficult - not to mention spreading germs from people crammed closely together......

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/casual-nastiness-left-me-feeling-like-a-coward-37164042.html

First world problems.

It's obvious you haven't been on a Dublin Bus in years. There are audio and video announcements every 10-20 seconds to let passengers know of the location of the upcoming stop.

In fairness to him, they are still really sweaty and horrible on wet and warm days...I don't really know what you could physically do about that though? Air-conditioned buses would probably be too expensive (and I mean proper A/C, not just fans blowing external air).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

It's obvious you haven't been on a Dublin Bus in years. There are audio and video announcements every 10-20 seconds to let passengers know of the location of the upcoming stop.

Man that sounds annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

psinno wrote: »
    Man that sounds annoying.

One of the drawbacks from having so many stops too close together! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

One of the drawbacks from having so many stops too close together! ;)

Oddly enough that was an issue which caught the NTA out in the initial stages of the Next-Stop announcement introduction.

The NTA wished to have each Bus Stop fully announced 100 Mtrs in advance,in BOTH official languages,replicated visually on the Internal LED screens.

eg: Next Stop-North Circular Road-An Chead Stad Eile,An Cuarbothar Thuiadh.

After some weeks spent trying to cram a multilingual Quart into the available Pint Pot,reality had to be recognised and the Next-Stop/An Chead Stad Eile intro was dropped (quietly) along with some amended destination descriptions.

It's all very laudable having multilingual guidance,but when it defies the first rule of Public Transport Information,CLARITY,then it actually takes significantly away from it's basic purpose.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Oddly enough that was an issue which caught the NTA out in the initial stages of the Next-Stop announcement introduction.

The NTA wished to have each Bus Stop fully announced 100 Mtrs in advance,in BOTH official languages,replicated visually on the Internal LED screens.

eg: Next Stop-North Circular Road-An Chead Stad Eile,An Cuarbothar Thuiadh.

After some weeks spent trying to cram a multilingual Quart into the available Pint Pot,reality had to be recognised and the Next-Stop/An Chead Stad Eile intro was dropped (quietly) along with some amended destination descriptions.

It's all very laudable having multilingual guidance,but when it defies the first rule of Public Transport Information,CLARITY,then it actually takes significantly away from it's basic purpose.

Having "next stop" sounds horrendous. In Germany ATM, the buses just have a small chime then say the name of the stop. "Next stop" is reserved for the rail network AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Having "next stop" sounds horrendous. In Germany ATM, the buses just have a small chime then say the name of the stop. "Next stop" is reserved for the rail network AFAIK

Agreed,but to a newly qualified earnest young graduate,it is The Sound of Music itself !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz6wvKUsP6M

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Rail based transport is always more pleasant to travel on than anything on the road including cars outside of rush hour. Cars also vibrate too from time to time. Many cars don't have AC either and their windows fog up too. I do have a car and I do drive it when it's convienent for me to do so than using public transport.

Anti social behaviour is only a real issue if the bus you get happens to be the 27 from Jobstown in the evening and other routes like the 13, 76 or the 40 and if you lived in those anti social would be effecting your daily life not just your bus commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Anti social behaviour is only a real issue if the bus you get happens to be the 27 from Jobstown in the evening and other routes like the 13, 76 or the 40 and if you lived in those anti social would be effecting your daily life not just your bus commute.

So only West Dublin then where anti social behaviour exists? (Or wherever those other services end up on the northside). I don't use many buses myself but I seriously doubt that anti social behaviour exists on only four of the hundred or so routes in the DB network.

Advertisement