Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Changes to Improve City Center Journeys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,250 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Traffic this morning and evening was surprisingly light, buses were flying thru - didn't seem as many taxis, maybe they think it's already started

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

That's just not true. Drivers won't break the law for the sake of a few euro. And the Gardai regularly hassle taxi drivers.

Whatever their reasoning, plenty of them (like every other class of drivers, to be fair) break plenty of laws (speed limits, contra-flow bus lanes, running red lights, failure to indicate, etc.) on a daily basis, so what would make this one any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

loyatemu wrote: »
    I cycled through CG last week and cycled through the Luas stop as there was no space on the road. TBH I don't see a problem - if there's a tram stopped there, you can't cycle through. If there's no tram, any that are behind you will be stopping there anyway so they're not going to get delayed by cyclists.
    Its a problem for traffic in the traffic lane that is not expecting traffic from the Luas stop at a choke point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

cython wrote:
    Whatever their reasoning, plenty of them (like every other class of drivers, to be fair) break plenty of laws (speed limits, contra-flow bus lanes, running red lights, failure to indicate, etc.) on a daily basis, so what would make this one any different?

This is just not my experience. Most taxi drivers take great care on the road and are keen not to rank up penalty points as it affects their insurance and potentially their livelihood.

As for taxi drivers pulling over to drop off or collect passengers, that's a different issue. This seems to annoy some other drivers, But taxi drivers won't break the law for a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

This is just not my experience. Most taxi drivers take great care on the road and are keen not to rank up penalty points as it affects their insurance and potentially their livelihood.

As for taxi drivers pulling over to drop off or collect passengers, that's a different issue. This seems to annoy some other drivers, But taxi drivers won't break the law for a few euro.

What taxis have you seen as that is the funniest story I've ever read.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Most taxi drivers take great care on the road and are keen not to rank up penalty points as it affects their insurance and potentially their livelihood.
    don't forget, 'most' can mean 50.01%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

If you can claim in honesty not to have seen any of the offences that I have outlined as examples committed by a significant portion of taxi drivers, then either you view the world with blinkers, or your own observation is compromised to the extent that I can only hope you don't drive. Or perhaps you live somewhere that taxis don't really operate. Either way, taxi drivers are no angels, and certainly no more likely in my experience to heed road traffic laws than any other driver.

When it comes to picking up an opportunistic fare every taxi man will take on even a bus to be the first there and to hell with blocking the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

fritzelly wrote: »
    When it comes to picking up an opportunistic fare every taxi man will take on even a bus to be the first there and to hell with blocking the road.

Blocking bus stops is my number one gripe with taxi drivers.
    That, and the illegal left turn onto Parliament from Wellington Quay.

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Blocking bus stops is my number one gripe with taxi drivers.
    That, and the illegal left turn onto Parliament from Wellington Quay.

No enforcement whatsoever.

I've seen cars parked on Saturday and Sunday all day in bus stops throughout the city and not a ticket or clamp ever given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

No enforcement whatsoever.

I've seen cars parked on Saturday and Sunday all day in bus stops throughout the city and not a ticket or clamp ever given.

Stop opposite Heuston Station in the evenings is ridiculous for this. Has all the 25 routes, 79's, Bus Eireann and private coaches as well as the westbound Xpresso routes and taxis often stopped waiting for and dropping off passengers while those waiting for busses have to step out onto the road to board, or even to just hail a bus to stop.

Surely if the guards had a motorbike or two circulating the city centre at peak times and at weekends enforcing taxis's they'd pay for themselves in a week or two in fines.

Stop opposite Heuston Station in the evenings is ridiculous for this. Has all the 25 routes, 79's, Bus Eireann and private coaches as well as the westbound Xpresso routes and taxis often stopped waiting for and dropping off passengers while those waiting for busses have to step out onto the road to board, or even to just hail a bus to stop.

Surely if the guards had a motorbike or two circulating the city centre at peak times and at weekends enforcing taxis's they'd pay for themselves in a week or two in fines.

They sure would.

Just seems nobody wants it done.

If I were waiting there for the bus I would have no problems telling them to move like all others should and use their bonnet to help get onto the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

A good example of the sort of considerate driving that Dublin's taxi drivers are capable of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REVWtV7yh_w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Bus journey very slow on Tara street this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Phil.x wrote:
    Bus journey very slow on Tara street this week.

The quays have been a disaster in the morning all week as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

thomasj wrote: »
    The quays have been a disaster in the morning all week as well
    North Quays in the morning are stopped. Just useless, people are having to get off half-way down the quays in an attempt to get to work on time.

Green line LUAS continues to be a disaster zone.

Cross city LUAS runs through the city centre with what looks like half empty carriages, while all other form of transport suffers for this vanity project.

Meanwhile the Minister is nowhere to be seen, and the various three letter agencies are doing nothing. The commuters of Dublin have been left down so badly by our various public sector bodies and their political masters.

Yellow box junction at new bridge is been blocked at every change of lights.

There was a traffic cop on motorbike sitting on the Luas bridge but the north side and completely ignored all the turns buses and coaches couldn't make it off the bridge.

Dolier at is a mess.

The Luas has really taken over and I honestly only see it getting worse unless drastic measures are brought in.

hmmm wrote:
    North Quays in the morning are stopped. Just useless, people are having to get off half-way down the quays in an attempt to get to work on time.

Yep that's me , I get off 2 stops earlier otherwise not a chance of me getting in on time . Four courts-ormond quay is a huge mess especially .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The Luas has really taken over and I honestly only see it getting worse unless drastic measures are brought in.
    When the Minister gave his recent comments in the Dail, all he talked about was LUAS. No-one gives a damn about bus, cyclists or even pedestrians, it's all LUAS.

Got the 39a tonight at 8.30 and 2 of them are due (1 must be dead late) the full one pulls in and people start getting on.

The empty one goes to overtake it but I put my hand out for it , and as it goes to pull in so does a taxi. Anyway nowhere for the bus to pull in so he drives on

And here was my view of the journey home on the full 39a....... :(

• Advertisement

Sorry here it is

Sorry here it is

Mind the door there

Whatever happened to buses saying no more we're full and whatever happened to people being told to move down the bus - annoys the hell outta me when I'm trying to get off and everyone is crowding the front of the bus

fritzelly wrote:
    Mind the door there

Haha every time the bus stopped had to move over to the ticket machine

fritzelly wrote:
    Whatever happened to buses saying no more we're full and whatever happened to people being told to move down the bus - annoys the hell outta me when I'm trying to get off and everyone is crowding the front of the bus

The type of bus I was on (the large VT buses) doesn't give you much space to do that

fritzelly wrote:

When buses are only running every 20 minutes drivers do their best to get everyone on. It's not always possible

When buses are only running every 20 minutes drivers do their best to get everyone on. It's not always possible

The 49/54 in the evenings is so crammed they are standing on the stairs and almost impossible to get off unless you're going well out of town.
    Surely that is dangerous? Rhetorical question

fritzelly wrote:
    The 49/54 in the evenings is so crammed they are standing on the stairs and almost impossible to get off unless you're going well out of town. Surely that is dangerous? Rhetorical question

It's a fair point but the other option would be standing at the bus stop for another 20 minutes so j understand why people do it .

In fairness, in my case I've never been on a bus where the driver has let people stand on the stairs or upstairs. It's a no no!

It's always crammed downstairs though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

These leaflets have popped up all over the bus garage. With some interesting views on saving the bus service. No idea who put there there.

http://www.acratu.com/assets/quay-bus-flow-2018.pdf

http://www.acratu.com/assets/civic-plaza-solution.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

These leaflets have popped up all over the bus garage. With some interesting views on saving the bus service. No idea who put there there.

http://www.acratu.com/assets/quay-bus-flow-2018.pdf

http://www.acratu.com/assets/civic-plaza-solution.pdf

Surely the clue is in the URLs? I mean, those aren't scanned images, those are the original PDFs (complete with vectorised text), so this "ACRA" group are obviously the authors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

MJohnston wrote: »
    Surely the clue is in the URLs? I mean, those aren't scanned images, those are the original PDFs (complete with vectorised text), so this "ACRA" group are obviously the authors.

Well, what I was really thinking was who in our garage put them there. Never heard of ACRA before I seen the leaflets.

Advertisement