Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

razorblunt wrote: »
    It's a tabloid though, how can you stretch reading that out over two breaks? You'd be done in 5 mins.
    They're mostly pictures, LARGE FONT headings and
    * bullet points
    * that summarize
    * their points

I understand that but by the time you made a coffee and sat down you'd have 3/4 mins of flicking through it before you'd have to get back up . make yourself another coffee and go outside for 1/2 smokes.
    Lunchtime , by the time you got back from the shop made a coffee you'd have 35/40 mins to eat your lunch ,coffee, relax, another coffee and then outside for a couple of smokes . I know there absolute rags but they served a pupose.
    Reminds me of another job were i was buying the times everyday and actually got called out on it and some smart comments- this is the type of mentality i'm talking about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Why not just bring the paper with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Grown adults with a decent amount of disposable income, that lift rolls of toilet paper from their workplace (or wherever they get them from).

The eternal students. Bless.

I just dump at work- far cheaper and being paid for it.:D

Bring it where? your working , this wasn't in an office environment .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

OH MY GAWD SHUT UP ABOUT THE PAPER

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Snowseer

volono wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy the tabloid rags usually tbf but on my break i always sat on my own and made that clear to everyone and its just some light reading and the sudoku while having your lunch.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

volono wrote:
    Hi bluewolf , the paper was disappearing everyday for afew days, so at lunch in front of everyone (canteen could only hold around 50 people) i was giving out ''who in the name of god keeps taking my paper . they're a euro in the shop for god's sake will the person in question give it a rest please, some agreed, some weren't interested and of course everyone pleaded innocence, following day - gone again so the day after just ripped a very small piece out of the bottom of most pages , so when it was robbed again i went around the canteen looking for it , grabbed it off the person and let rip , he was adamant it was his so i turned to ''mick and mark'' - what did i say i was doing this morning?? yea volono said he was ripping the corner piece out of pages in the paper . i even quoted most of the pages , now bear in mind this was getting quite loud so everyone had some interest in what was going on. I said something along the lines of ''Now point proved the paper is mine and everyone knows your a thief''. Even got a slight applause, just really can't understand the mentality of not spending a euro for it and would rather steal it.

I don't like stinges or thieves, but.. If I was one of your innocent colleagues observing this, I wouldn't like your behaviour very much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,069 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I don't do change. Not because of my tailored slim-fitting Hugo Boss suit like a certain 'celebrity' Da, but because change is just a pain in the ass. Contactless payments mean no wallet. Just the phone, the ATM card and the Leap card.

I have worked in IT/Finance for a number of years, and make a point to always use cash now, except in cases of large online purchases - flights, etc.. When you see what goes on on the other side...i hope to avoid a cashless society for as long as possible.

My stingy story, i know exactly how much change i have in my pocket - €38.65 and £1.22

I don't like stinges or thieves, but.. If I was one of your innocent colleagues observing this, I wouldn't like your behaviour very much either.

So in your estimation I was in the wrong , for him being a thief? , sorry no and no forever , i mentioned in another post what i did in the canteen after afew days of it going on and personally thought i was quite nice about it and it was still robbed the following day. Now in my estimation that's someone making a complete and utter fool out of me. Originally I was thinking of just making a massive X/Y/Z on each page (that can't be missed) but then wanted to know who it was. Like i mentioned before this wasn't an office building / environment etc. The thread i feel is getting a bit derailed over this but i just wanted to make myself clear . Lastly hopefully but as a matter of interest what would you of done?

make a point to always use cash now, except in cases of large online purchases - flights, etc.. When you see what goes on on the other side...i hope to avoid a cashless society for as long as possible.

Literally couldn't agree more.

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    I have worked in IT/Finance for a number of years, and make a point to always use cash now, except in cases of large online purchases - flights, etc.. When you see what goes on on the other side...i hope to avoid a cashless society for as long as possible.

My stingy story, i know exactly how much change i have in my pocket - €38.65 and £1.22

literally couldn't agree more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

Can you give some examples as to what goes on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

My sister has (had) a friend who had been saving up like mad for over a year to go to the US with kids, husband, travel about and visit relatives, see the sights etc. As she had very little money spare, my sister had her and her kids over for coffee, playdates, food, lunches etc. and thought nothing of it until she noticed her friend looked to get together more than usual at my sister’s house in the run-up to the big holiday trip.

Well, the holiday came and went and the friend arranged to call in with kids in tow to tell my sister all about the great time they had, fabulous restaurants, no expense-spared trip. She brought with her a present for my niece and nephew: an already open bag of Hersey sweets which she proceeded to dish out to her own kids more than my sister’s. When sweets were eaten and all other snacks provided as per usual by my sister, off this woman went, belly full, muttering something about having my sister and kids over for dinner etc.

She hasn’t heard from her since.

Stingy ungrateful cow. I told my sister to just arrive on her doorstep with starving kids at lunch time and see what happens.

benny79 wrote: »
    Can you give some examples as to what goes on?

Not really tbh.
    At a high level, everything you buy is tracked, classified and used & shared among many different companies and public organisations. GDPR should help but legislation is well behind what is actually happening. I have nothing to hide but i still dont like the fact that by the end of today, X company's across the world know i bought a coffee and croissant for breakfast and it will be used in targeted ads, aggregation, demogrpahic statistics etc.

Thats before you get to things like network security and system failures - something as simple as no electricity - no money is still scarily possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

This is not directly stingy as such but incredibly ungrateful I thought. I have a sister who has a holiday home which she lets out. Thinking she might get some repeat business or referrals she once gave a free weekend to a professional couple who were doing some highly lucrative work for another sister.

When they left after the weekend, she got a call from the caretaker who handles the changeovers wanting to know did he have the right day as it looked like the couple must be staying another night. Not only had they not tidied up after themselves but the living room had empty wine bottles and half eaten takeaways on the floor and the kitchen table was still covered with the remains of their final breakfast. The pair were an Architect and an Interior Designer!!!

Needless to say, there has been no business generated (in either direction).

just had one

I was doing a job on someone's house.
    I was packing up to go home at about 7 30. neighbour comes out and asks me to do a small job. I went over and he wanted a a few presses screwed back together
    it would have only taken 15 minutes so I said I would get my drill.
    he then askes if I have a flashlight . assuming he had a small job for me in the loft etc I said yes. he then said that's great I don't like using the lights , they use too much electricity , he was dead serious. he wanted me to work with my light instead of turning on his lights.

I went out to the van and just drove off

Funniest yet , classic , psml.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not really tbh.
    At a high level, everything you buy is tracked, classified and used & shared among many different companies and public organisations. GDPR should help but legislation is well behind what is actually happening. I have nothing to hide but i still dont like the fact that by the end of today, X company's across the world know i bought a coffee and croissant for breakfast and it will be used in targeted ads, aggregation, demogrpahic statistics etc.

Thats before you get to things like network security and system failures - something as simple as no electricity - no money is still scarily possible.

So you're saying that your bank shared details of spending outside of the bank, without getting explicit permission?

This would be a substantial breach of DP law anywhere in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,898 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

To topic off the tangent a bit more (sorry stinge-lovers, you can suck on my cold grey bones when I'm dead), the past fortnight has seen my local supermarket and pharmacy being unable to take cashless payments of any sort because of a glitch on the day. BoI's IT network may be under a bit of strain from time to time. Luckily enough on both occasions I had sufficient folding wonga in my pocket, but only just.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

So you're saying that your bank shared details of spending outside of the bank, without getting explicit permission?

This would be a substantial breach of DP law anywhere in Europe.

Im not saying they did. However, large companies have vast amounts of data that is collected, and how it is used could be spun many ways with vague wording and good lawyers. Financial history is no different to fb likes in a database, really - it is all activity.

Its a little less grey today with codified regulations on consumer data, i'd wait til the first big fish is caught to see what is actually going on. Irregardless, withdrawing €200 and having the notes in my pocket is more preferable to me than having the bank/visa/mastercard/google/apple know i bought 10 pints last night.

Actually, one thing i never mentioned - apple & google pay. Whatever about banks having access to your financial history, giving tech behomoths with fingers in multiple pies access to it as well?

Edit - i see there a cash or card thread now, will move the convo there

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Financial history is no different to fb likes in a database, really - it is all activity.
    It is hugely different - FB T&Cs allows them to share your likes. Banks T&Cs don't allow them to share your financial history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Left a friend home after a night out, he’s 30 mins out of the way so said he’d give me petrol money for it of course

Landed to his gaff, ill get ya next time man he says

We were all out again last night, at the bar and saw him with a good few euro in his wallet so reminded him about leaving him home last week

“Ah **** i was hoping you’d forget about that”

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Left a friend home after a night out, he’s 30 mins out of the way so said he’d give me petrol money for it of course

We were all out again last night, at the bar and saw him with a good few euro in his wallet so reminded him about leaving him home last week

Assume your car does 40K to the gallon and the round trip was about 10km each direction. Then the journey would have cost about €3.10 (using approximate figures).

If that is the case, who is the stinge? The guy who said "I'll get you again" or the guy that reminded him about it a week later.

Did you ever hear of the phrase "swings and roundabouts"?

Assume your car does 40K to the gallon and the round trip was about 10km each direction. Then the journey would have cost about €3.10 (using approximate figures).

If that is the case, who is the stinge? The guy who said "I'll get you again" or the guy that reminded him about it a week later.

The journey was 20km each way so you could double your estimate

When is it appropriate to remind someone so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

Bah, hate those people. Even admitting to their stingyness. They're really proud of their behaviour too. I have a friend who's like that. We go for coffee or drinks and it's always the same: no cash or very little cash with him. Then he halfway expects me to pay. Not doing it anymore though.
    And he suggested more than once to leave without paying. Scumbag behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭lolie

I know a lad that goes into the local deli and gets a jambon and a few sausage rolls and gets both in the one bag.
    Before he goes up to the till he takes of the sticker for the jambon so ends up only having to pay for the sausage rolls and 'saves €2' as he puts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

When is it appropriate to remind someone so?

For a few quid? Between friends? Never.

If it happens frequently, sure, adjust your behaviour so you don't pay or accommodate someone as you know they are taking you for a ride or tell them up front the reason why you can't help them out but asking for a small change debt says more about the person asking the question. In my opinion.

For a few quid? Between friends? Never.

If it happens frequently, sure, adjust your behaviour so you don't pay or accommodate someone as you know they are taking you for a ride or tell them up front the reason why you can't help them out but asking for a small change debt says more about the person asking the question. In my opinion.

It does happen frequently, only a couple times with me but he did say he’d give me money for it. He doesn’t drive himself so is usually relying on lifts from others, i didnt bother mentioning this because we’ve heard 1006 stories of the type of stinge he can be and i thought the real stingey part of note was him hoping i’d forget it

I get what you mean in a few euro between friends, im like that with most myself since it usually balances out between the good folk

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Santan

I worked for 2 brothers, bags of money between them, from a very wealthy family, anyway we had to go to cork overnight for meetings with engineers, they were looking after the accommodation in a hotel. Arrived at the hotel and I just assumed we would each have a room but no, 1 room for the 3 of us, one double bed and a single. I just went back to reception and booked my own room. At breakfast buffet the next morning, I will never forget the two guys filling their laptop cases with sausages and bacon and bread for our lunch meeting, they could not understand why I didn't do it for a free lunch. A Couple of months later in Dublin for another meeting we must have walked 5k and I don't know how many hotels we had to check to get the best price and I remember it was less than €10 saved. At the meeting one of the brothers decided to tell us, thinking it was great fun, he didn't book the hotel as he still felt it was to expensive, and managed to blag an architect with us, to let us stay in his house for the night. I slept on a couch that night in a strangers house, it just felt so awkward all night there and in the car gong home the next morning the brothers could not have been happier they didn't have to pay for a hotel. That was the last time I ever let them in charge of my accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The poster is dead right pulling your man up on it. This thread is full of people taken along for a ride and not having the guts to say anything. Better off early letting these people know you won’t let them walk all over you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lolie wrote: »
    I know a lad that goes into the local deli and gets a jambon and a few sausage rolls and gets both in the one bag.
    Before he goes up to the till he takes of the sticker for the jambon so ends up only having to pay for the sausage rolls and 'saves €2' as he puts it.

That is not stinge but simply theft. Should be ashamed.

Advertisement