Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If they were in the pile of rubbish, to me it's thrifty and a way of recycling, nothing stingy about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

New Home wrote: »
    If they were in the pile of rubbish, to me it's thrifty and a way of recycling, nothing stingy about it.

nah, a graveyard and whatever recyclables are there from loved ones leaving things is not the place to be trying to be saving a few quid...flower pots for f**k sake, you can pick them up in aldi, lidl or woodies for next to nothing. up there with one of the worst stingy stories on this thread IMO.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It's not as if she'd taken them from the graves, if that had been the case I'd say that not only was she being stingy, I'd say she was downright stealing, but these were taken from the discarded stuff. Also what is 'next to nothing' to you or me could be a considerable part of a pensioner's income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

nah, a graveyard and whatever recyclables are there from loved ones leaving things is not the place to be trying to be saving a few quid...flower pots for f**k sake, you can pick them up in aldi, lidl or woodies for next to nothing. up there with one of the worst stingy stories on this thread IMO.
    I'd be with you. I don't know why, but it just seems wrong to have a garden full of flowerpots that came from graves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

New Home wrote: »
    It's not as if she'd taken them from the graves, if that had been the case I'd say that not only was she being stingy, I'd say she was downright stealing, but these were taken from the discarded stuff. Also what is 'next to nothing' to you or me could be a considerable part of a pensioner's income.

single income of €42k with two kids, if she's on the basic state pension she's got a lot more disposable income than I do and I still wouldn't be hitting the graveyard to save a few bob on picking up some recyclables.

you'll pick a decent flower pot up for about €4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

single income of €42k with two kids, if she's on the basic state pension she's got a lot more disposable income than I do and I still wouldn't be hitting the graveyard to save a few bob on picking up some recyclables.

She's on carers allowance, for the record. To be honest I think it's just the fact she found them in a graveyard that seems a bit off to me, maybe I'm just superstitious! If she said she'd taken them from a skip I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I'd be with you. I don't know why, but it just seems wrong to have a garden full of flowerpots that came from graves.

Thrown-away flowerpots from the graveyard wouldn't bother me in the slightest (not saying I'd do it, but whatever). Nah, the downright stingiest meanest miserable action is nicking the actual flowers (potted or cut) from the graves themselves.
    We all know somebody who's done it - even if you don't actuallly know they've done it, iyswim.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

She saved some stuff from unnecessarily going to landfill. Good for her.

Exactly. And she put it to good use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Thrown-away flowerpots from the graveyard wouldn't bother me in the slightest (not saying I'd do it, but whatever). Nah, the downright stingiest meanest miserable action is nicking the actual flowers (potted or cut) from the graves themselves.
    We all know somebody who's done it - even if you don't actuallly know they've done it, iyswim.
    Call me naive but it never actually occurred to me that people would steal flowers/flower pots from graveyards :eek: What absolute scumbags.

It's not stealing and I'm thrifty myself but for whatever reason I wouldn't be comfortable with graveyard leftovers.

• Advertisement

I know, they're ruthless vultures. I know of a walled graveyard where they had to install security cameras to stop the thieves, and there's a sign at the gate that says they'll name and shame them. Dead right, too.

A relative of mine, a couple of years ago, the day before her son's anniversary, went to put a bunch of flowers on the tree where her son had died in a car accident; she went back the next day only to discover that some despicable excuse for a human being had stolen them.

People are scum.

EDIT - Going off topic, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I dunno. If the mammy in law was taking pots that others had thrown away, what's the harm? I'm a gardener. I take pots of flowers to my parents grave all the time. I usually toss the old pots away when the flowers die and I replace them with newly planted pots.

If people help themselves to those pots, out of the bins in Glasnevin Cemetary, I really couldn't care less. As long as no one helps themselves to the flower pots on the actual graves themselves, it doesn't bother me at all. I think my mother (also a gardener, who hated waste) would have been happy to see the pots being recycled by someone else who likes flowers too, instead of staying in the bin & going to a landfill.

Yeah, it's a bin in a cemetery and all.... but if the pots have already been discarded, then that link with being on a grave has already been broken. So I don't think they are "entitled" to any additional respect as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,122 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Paddy Cow wrote:

Superstition is the word you're looking for.

More stinge, less whinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,323 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Paddy Cow wrote: »

Better than throwing them on a rubbish dump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

A friend of mine won 700 euro on the horses in the bookies last year, he gave two of the lads 50 quid each to go on the piss with him after he left the bookies, one of the lads is the tightest **** ever, while the other two proceeded to get pissed." John" bought one pint, made it last three hours and went home keepin the rest of the money. He never buys new clothes either, i was slagging him a while ago about wearing the same clothes out all the time. He replies saying that he has three of the same shirt at home and four pairs of the same jeans at home. We fell around laughin at him, but he was dead serious. He works in a bank and lives at home by the way so i know for a fact he has a few bob.

When we were younger he used to go into shops and change the prices tags on items he wanted to buy to a cheaper item, this was before they scanned items in shops. luckily he never got caught cos his parent are fairly well off and they used to give him money all the time. He jus hated spending money. I fell out with him because i wouldnt give him change for the bus when we were going into town , he had notes in his pocket and i told him to go into the shop and get change, he replied that he didnt want to break into them, i started laughin at him, he called me a tight c u n t and walked of.

I've never understood the concept of not wanting to break a note. Money is money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

I've never understood the concept of not wanting to break a note. Money is money.

In fact it's handier to have it broken at times. I don't know how many times I've been asked "You don't have anything smaller do you?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I kind of get it, but not because I'm stingy, because I'm terrible with money. I have fifty euro, good, that should be enough for daily expenses today and tomorrow, maybe even the next day! Sure what would I be spending it on. Ok, I have fifty euro, I'll just break it to pay the few euro for this coffee and pastry, I have forty something euro, lalalala....oh shít for some reason now it's half an hour later and I have ten euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

True enough, but I do like to use up spare change where possible, e.g., purchase amounts to 21.43, I'll hand in the 1.43 with a 20 note if I can scrape it together rather than hand in a 20 note and a 5 note.

Equally, if something comes to 6.25, I'll often hand in 11.25 (ten note plus coins) if I can to get a 5 euro note back and not 3.75 in shrapnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'm the same. I try and keep change in notes if possible. That's not stingy at all

On that note, I saw a lad in work put 2 bog roll into a bag earlier. I'd heard of this happening loads but first time I witnessed it. He looked embarrassed but he didn't put them back either

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    I'm the same. I try and keep change in notes if possible. That's not stingy at all

On that note, I saw a lad in work put 2 bog roll into a bag earlier. I'd heard of this happening loads but first time I witnessed it. He looked embarrassed but he didn't put them back either

Ah, the good aul' BumFree brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

One of our eagle eyed canteen staff saw this recently...

The multipack Taytos are smaller than the retail bags in shops.

Someone attempted to pass off a multipack bag to swap it for a different flavour full size bag.

Overall gain to him for free was ? Four crisps?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

*Live report* Bloke across from us in pub grabbed his mate's pint when the mate had gone to the jacks and lashed into it, took 5c change from the bar and just lashed into his mate's pint again when his mate was in the jacks...*Live Report*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

just had one

I was doing a job on someone's house.
    I was packing up to go home at about 7 30. neighbour comes out and asks me to do a small job. I went over and he wanted a a few presses screwed back together
    it would have only taken 15 minutes so I said I would get my drill.
    he then askes if I have a flashlight . assuming he had a small job for me in the loft etc I said yes. he then said that's great I don't like using the lights , they use too much electricity , he was dead serious. he wanted me to work with my light instead of turning on his lights.

I went out to the van and just drove off

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Equally, if something comes to 6.25, I'll often hand in 11.25 (ten note plus coins) if I can to get a 5 euro note back and not 3.75 in shrapnel.

I too do that, but you always get the dope of a shop assistant who just looks at you with 10 heads and say "you gave me too much"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Thargor wrote: »
    What sort of workplace doesn't supply their employees with tea and coffee facilities?

The Civil Service.

You cheap stingy private sector b@stards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I too do that, but you always get the dope of a shop assistant who just looks at you with 10 heads and say "you gave me too much"

That has never once happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

OhHiMark wrote: »
    That has never once happened to me.

It's happened to me frequently, as recently as today.

Just thought of one from a former colleague. He sent an email to all staff asking them if they shopped in Tesco and didn't have a club card could they bring their receipts in to him so he could claim the points on his club card. He even signed off the email with "every little helps" - had he signed off like that as a joke I could understand/laugh - he was 100% serious however. To paraphrase Ferris Bueller, he was so tight if you shoved a lump of coal up his ass in 2 weeks you'd have a diamond. I often caught him taking tea bags, coffee, milk, etc. from the canteen for his own use. He was s selfish, bitter man. Old way before his time.

Carnacalla wrote: »

First day on the job, more than likely. Surprising how many don't know or haven't come across that before they actually go on the tills. They're also the ones most likely to give change for a 20 instead of a fiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Nebaw

Dodge wrote: »

Same thing happens in work, the soap also keeps going missing.

Advertisement