Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

FanadMan wrote: »
    Think it's a scheme they are trialling in Dublin and hope to push nationwide next year. Would be great cos my local council library has the strangest opening hours. They seem to change from week to week.

My local one has the luxury of a 4 day week.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

My local one has the luxury of a 4 day week.

Mine is 3 - 5 days a week, depending on who is on or if Mars is in conjunction with Uranus and there is a high tide. Or something.......

I've used automated libraries in Finland and they are so bloody handy. Swipe to get in. Swipe your books and card. Swipe your card to get out. Scanners check that you don't have unregistered books out with you.

Sooner they get it all properly automated the better! Even OAPs were able to use it without a problem. But can never see it working here cos there will always be one that messes it up for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭thesandeman

FanadMan wrote: »
    Think it's a scheme they are trialling in Dublin and hope to push nationwide next year. Would be great cos my local council library has the strangest opening hours. They seem to change from week to week.

It takes me longer to read the opening hours on the window than it would to read any of the books in my local library.
    I think that scheme would work brilliantly in smaller communities. I'd be a bit dubious of cities though.
    If it's not tried we'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I know we are in a library now apparently, so I will keep my voice down... but could we maybe get back to the posts about the stingiest things that we have seen please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

A guy came up to the customer service desk and told me he forgot to get his receipt and didn't have his clubcard with him so needed it to get the points on next time. He said it was 2 points.

We were crazy busy at the time and I told him we would have to print off a new receipt from the computer and it would take a while, but it's no problem. I told him he could come in another day and and I would give him the 2 points on his card, as i recognise him as a loyal customer but he was having none of it.
    I had to leave a queue of people at the desk so I could print it for him. For 2 points!!! He was delighted with himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

"My old fella's golf buddy goes to the library every morning (Mon-Fri) to read the days papers, this fella aint far from being a millionaire."

I know a millionaire who goes to library to read paper. he is retired and it is because he is stingy

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

stumbled across this thread and loving it in a perverse type of way. At the same time being stingy or mean absolutely makes my blood boil over , one of the the worst traits a person could possibly have in my eyes. Literally no shame these people. The thoughts of someone thinking that about myself , god it wouldn't be worth thinking about tbf. onto a few general examples
    A work canteen I've been stuck in my newspaper kept disappearing between breaks and i knew it must be someone literally sitting there also so i started tearing a little corner piece out of each page - soon solved that problem
    People just refusing to buy tea coffee milk sugar and robbing mine - hip flash of milk and those satchets of cappucino coffee and afew of sugar - just left them in my snickers trousers while working.
    On a building site asked someone who i was working with for a smoke as i'd ran out , no last one (saying this while smoking and proceeded to get up and throw the pack out the window) no problem i'll go down the shop in a bit. Caught him looking for the supposedly ''empty'' smoke packet later on
    Covered already but the restaurant scenarios sicken me , nowadays i just make sure that while looking at the menu i know what its costing for myself and the partner , so while they all get half drunk on the wine etc i couldn't care less . end of the meal , for example , whoevers in charge of paying ''right theres 90/100 whatever for myself and the other half and a 10 for the waitress'' (while they are there most importantly and thank them for their service) . Have to go to the toilet now and see you outside i'm having a smoke -- let them argue amongst themselves all they like , including ripping out the calculators , not phones , f%%kin calculators
    Thers a local guy who brings bags of green bin waste - cardboard, plastic food wrapping etc to the local shop everyday and puts it in their bins and i mean those small bins with the ashtrays on top .literally seen him struggling to squash it all in the small slots at the side of the bin
    Old friend used to call in semi regularly and always offered a can of beer/guiness , whiskey etc which could easily then turn into 8 / 10 of them on a good day , that in itself never bothered me in the slightest but he popped in one time with six cans , drank 4 and make a big song and dance about bringing the 2 spare home with him. really really annoyed me at the time .suffice to say n'er a drop of drink in the house after that when he called in.
    The old - i'm sick of struggling and never have any money after bills etc etc. while knowing they are actually very very comfortable .
    Know a multi millionaire quite well who refuses to get a taxi home from the pub and would rather walk for 30 mins whether in the winter / rain or not . Often pick him up then when on the way home myself (i'm no donald duck for the rain haha) and he literally jumps into the taxi and has never even offered me a euro from his pocket , have to stop that actually
    I could go on and on with some really horrible but personal stories but one thing i've realised over the years is that people like this aren't just stingy / frugal they're users of the highest order as well most of the time . They're like vampires to generous good hearted people . As soon as any scenario arises that shows them up to be like this i turn and run a mile .
    As i've gotten older i just haven't the time/energy/patience anymore for people like this. looking foward to reading the rest of the thread as i'm only 30 pages in hope i don't get to annoyed reading the posts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

General test for being a stinge : do you know how much in change you have in your pocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

arctictree wrote: »
    General test for being a stinge : do you know how much in change you have in your pocket?

True enough. Can also be a sign of being totally skint, though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sardonicat wrote: »

+1
    I know I don't have any money in my pocket- not a penny, I dumped all my change in a bucket for a charity I support at the weekend, and don't know when I'll have any cash again- as I don't go to the bank very often. I'm not exactly skint- as I do have a credit card if I need to buy something- but I don't have a penny in my pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

volono wrote: »
    stumbled across this thread and loving it in a perverse type of way. At the same time being stingy or mean absolutely makes my blood boil over , one of the the worst traits a person could possibly have in my eyes. Literally no shame these people. The thoughts of someone thinking that about myself , god it wouldn't be worth thinking about tbf. onto a few general examples
    A work canteen I've been stuck in my newspaper kept disappearing between breaks and i knew it must be someone literally sitting there also so i started tearing a little corner piece out of each page - soon solved that problem
    People just refusing to buy tea coffee milk sugar and robbing mine - hip flash of milk and those satchets of cappucino coffee and afew of sugar - just left them in my snickers trousers while working.
    On a building site asked someone who i was working with for a smoke as i'd ran out , no last one (saying this while smoking and proceeded to get up and throw the pack out the window) no problem i'll go down the shop in a bit. Caught him looking for the supposedly ''empty'' smoke packet later on
    Covered already but the restaurant scenarios sicken me , nowadays i just make sure that while looking at the menu i know what its costing for myself and the partner , so while they all get half drunk on the wine etc i couldn't care less . end of the meal , for example , whoevers in charge of paying ''right theres 90/100 whatever for myself and the other half and a 10 for the waitress'' (while they are there most importantly and thank them for their service) . Have to go to the toilet now and see you outside i'm having a smoke -- let them argue amongst themselves all they like , including ripping out the calculators , not phones , f%%kin calculators
    Thers a local guy who brings bags of green bin waste - cardboard, plastic food wrapping etc to the local shop everyday and puts it in their bins and i mean those small bins with the ashtrays on top .literally seen him struggling to squash it all in the small slots at the side of the bin
    Old friend used to call in semi regularly and always offered a can of beer/guiness , whiskey etc which could easily then turn into 8 / 10 of them on a good day , that in itself never bothered me in the slightest but he popped in one time with six cans , drank 4 and make a big song and dance about bringing the 2 spare home with him. really really annoyed me at the time .suffice to say n'er a drop of drink in the house after that when he called in.
    The old - i'm sick of struggling and never have any money after bills etc etc. while knowing they are actually very very comfortable .
    Know a multi millionaire quite well who refuses to get a taxi home from the pub and would rather walk for 30 mins whether in the winter / rain or not . Often pick him up then when on the way home myself (i'm no donald duck for the rain haha) and he literally jumps into the taxi and has never even offered me a euro from his pocket , have to stop that actually
    I could go on and on with some really horrible but personal stories but one thing i've realised over the years is that people like this aren't just stingy / frugal they're users of the highest order as well most of the time . They're like vampires to generous good hearted people . As soon as any scenario arises that shows them up to be like this i turn and run a mile .
    As i've gotten older i just haven't the time/energy/patience anymore for people like this. looking foward to reading the rest of the thread as i'm only 30 pages in hope i don't get to annoyed reading the posts!!

Stingy with the paragraphs though.My eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

arctictree wrote: »

I don't do change. Not because of my tailored slim-fitting Hugo Boss suit like a certain 'celebrity' Da, but because change is just a pain in the ass. Contactless payments mean no wallet. Just the phone, the ATM card and the Leap card.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I don't do change. Not because of my tailored slim-fitting Hugo Boss suit like a certain 'celebrity' Da, but because change is just a pain in the ass. Contactless payments mean no wallet. Just the phone, the ATM card and the Leap card.

When I go back to my rural home village from the big shmoke I often look like a stinge because I rarely have a penny of cash on me. I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I've needed cash in Dublin in the last 6 months but it's more necessary in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

+1
    I know I don't have any money in my pocket- not a penny, I dumped all my change in a bucket for a charity I support at the weekend, and don't know when I'll have any cash again- as I don't go to the bank very often. I'm not exactly skint- as I do have a credit card if I need to buy something- but I don't have a penny in my pocket.

So your a giver not a taker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

+1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Taker- as in someone who robs from a charity bucket? Errr- no. I'm picky- I only support certain charities- and I like to keep at least a 2 Euro coin in case I'm driving somewhere and I need to pay for parking- but have nothing at the moment- and no particular urge to get money- as the other poster said- its too handy using touch and tap- and most places take a credit card these days anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Grown adults with a decent amount of disposable income, that lift rolls of toilet paper from their workplace (or wherever they get them from).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I want to know how this bit worked. Did you just rip out a corner of all the pages? a random page? did it affect being able to read the page? why did that cause someone to stop?
    Genuinely i don't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

bluewolf wrote: »
    I want to know how this bit worked. Did you just rip out a corner of all the pages? a random page? did it affect being able to read the page? why did that cause someone to stop?
    Genuinely i don't get it

Should've ripped out the last page and ruined the ending.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

When I was a student I knew exactly how much was in my pocket and bank accout.

For a while after it was a great feeling dipping your hand in your pocket and not having to worry about spending a couple a quid.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    Should've ripped out the last page and ruined the ending.

Or page 3 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And/ or being careful and making sure you have change for the trolley.. ;)

Hi bluewolf , the paper was disappearing everyday for afew days, so at lunch in front of everyone (canteen could only hold around 50 people) i was giving out ''who in the name of god keeps taking my paper . they're a euro in the shop for god's sake will the person in question give it a rest please, some agreed, some weren't interested and of course everyone pleaded innocence, following day - gone again so the day after just ripped a very small piece out of the bottom of most pages , so when it was robbed again i went around the canteen looking for it , grabbed it off the person and let rip , he was adamant it was his so i turned to ''mick and mark'' - what did i say i was doing this morning?? yea volono said he was ripping the corner piece out of pages in the paper . i even quoted most of the pages , now bear in mind this was getting quite loud so everyone had some interest in what was going on. I said something along the lines of ''Now point proved the paper is mine and everyone knows your a thief''. Even got a slight applause, just really can't understand the mentality of not spending a euro for it and would rather steal it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

bluewolf wrote: »
    Genuinely i don't get it

Once the paper went missing, scoured the office for someone reading a paper with torn corners. Culprit found?

[EDIT]: beaten to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Hi bluewolf , the paper was disappearing everyday for afew days, so at lunch in front of everyone (canteen could only hold around 50 people) i was giving out ''who in the name of god keeps taking my paper . they're a euro in the shop for god's sake will the person in question give it a rest please, some agreed, some weren't interested and of course everyone pleaded innocence, following day - gone again so the day after just ripped a very small piece out of the bottom of most pages , so when it was robbed again i went around the canteen looking for it , grabbed it off the person and let rip , he was adamant it was his so i turned to ''mick and mark'' - what did i say i was doing this morning?? yea volono said he was ripping the corner piece out of pages in the paper . i even quoted most of the pages , now bear in mind this was getting quite loud so everyone had some interest in what was going on. I said something along the lines of ''Now point proved the paper is mine and everyone knows your a thief''. Even got a slight applause, just really can't understand the mentality of not spending a euro for it and would rather steal it.

Have I got this right? You buy some cheap tabloid, leave it lying around your canteen and you are upset that, when you come back later, someone else has picked it up for a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Did the whole bus canteen clap?

Now we're not talking about a canteen in google here , there was between 30/40 people every morning in the canteen for 15 mins in the morning and an hour at lunch , you'd hang your jacket in the corner or the back of your chair and put your lunch down (if you made any)with your paper before you started work- it was very well defined as in volono sits there , ''mick and mark'' sit there etc.. I wouldn't buy the tabloid rags usually tbf but on my break i always sat on my own and made that clear to everyone and its just some light reading and the sudoku while having your lunch.

This reminds me of a story my cousin told me from when she was in college and sharing a room.
    She was convinced that the roommate would take a few sneaky sprays of her deodorant so she divised a plan to prove it.
    She cut up minute pieces of paper and put them in the cap, therefore when stinge went for a spray the paper would fly away when she took off the cap and my cousin knew she was doing it when the paper was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's a tabloid though, how can you stretch reading that out over two breaks? You'd be done in 5 mins.
    They're mostly pictures, LARGE FONT headings and
    * bullet points
    * that summarize
    * their points

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Grown adults with a decent amount of disposable income, that lift rolls of toilet paper from their workplace (or wherever they get them from).

Same bunch of people in my job (I'll bet) that bring rubbish from home and throw it into the skip we have in work.

Advertisement