Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,985 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

lolie wrote: »
    I know a lad that goes into the local deli and gets a jambon and a few sausage rolls and gets both in the one bag.
    Before he goes up to the till he takes of the sticker for the jambon so ends up only having to pay for the sausage rolls and 'saves €2' as he puts it.

Yeah if this lad is drowning I don't think he'd want you to call 999 because you'd have to pay for more energy to recharge your battery.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭finla

I know a guy who doesn't use the indicators on his van because he doesn't want to wear out the bulbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

finla wrote: »
    I know a guy who doesn't use the indicators on his van because he doesn't want to wear out the bulbs!

No effin' way. Although it wouldn't surprise me, due to the amount of people who don't use their indicators these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

What difference would wearing out the bulbs make if he doesn't use them anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

No you don’t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭finla

OhHiMark wrote: »
    What difference would wearing out the bulbs make if he doesn't use them anyway?

He said that if he doesn't use them then he'll never have to replace them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

I know 2 builders who go in to get coffee together. One fellow fills up and goes to pay for his coffee(a) the other lad (b) fills his and heads back out to the van. They say they've never been pulled but if b is walking out with the free coffee and does get pulled he'll say his buddy a is paying for it at the counter.
    If a has already paid for his own one he'll say No b you were supposed to pay for your own one you tightarße and both laugh it off.
    They're at it every day in different shops for a couple of years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I know 2 builders who go in to get coffee together. One fellow fills up and goes to pay for his coffee(a) the other lad (b) fills his and heads back out to the van. They say they've never been pulled but if b is walking out with the free coffee and does get pulled he'll say his buddy a is paying for it at the counter.
    If a has already paid for his own one he'll say No b you were supposed to pay for your own one you tightarße and both laugh it off.
    They're at it every day in different shops for a couple of years now.

In reality its theft i suppose. I know a lad who always puts a large coffee into a small coffee cup.Then pays for a small. To be fair his idea is if a large fits into a small cup its fair game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

In reality its theft i suppose. I know a lad who always puts a large coffee into a small coffee cup.Then pays for a small. To be fair his idea is if a large fits into a small cup its fair game.

Yup outright theft. When I pointed this out to them I was told to go eff myself, sure those shops are creaming it with the coffee machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Assume your car does 40K to the gallon and the round trip was about 10km each direction. Then the journey would have cost about €3.10 (using approximate figures).

If that is the case, who is the stinge? The guy who said "I'll get you again" or the guy that reminded him about it a week later.

Did you ever hear of the phrase "swings and roundabouts"?

Ah come on are you not worse calculating the trip and saying? Na €3 euro is too scabby this time but if petrol goes above €1.50 a litre I'll hit him for a fiver?????

If it was me and I had to drive a half hour out the way for someone I'd expect a few pints out of them to say thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,821 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Assume your car does 40K to the gallon and the round trip was about 10km each direction. Then the journey would have cost about €3.10 (using approximate figures).
    Don't forget the hidden costs - tyres, maintenance, milage depreciation etc. The real cost per km is much higher than the simple fuel used.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 38,821 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

No you don’t

I'll bet you say 'no you don't' to this.
    I knew a guy who wouldn't use his headlights because of cost. He had some notion that they contributed to extra fuel consumption and alternator wear.
    Perhaps so, there is no free lunch, but the cost is minimal.
    I suspect he's not alone in that wrong-headedness with the number of stingy sods I see driving around with no lights on when they really need them.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

A neighbour of my parents used to park his car on a hill every night and push start it in the morning. My father often put rocks under the tyres to annoy him. He also never used 1st gear as it was too hard on petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

A mechanic who had his own garage once sold me a secondhand indicator bulb. I called to get a bulb and he came out with one with no box etc. I took no notice until I got home and realized it was used previously. Probably stripped all the bulbs, fuses etc from from any car going to the crusher.
    Ok you can say it was recycling but knowing him I don't believe the environment wasn't his priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

dieselbug wrote: »
    A mechanic who had his own garage once sold me a secondhand indicator bulb. I called to get a bulb and he came out with one with no box etc. I took no notice until I got home and realized it was used previously. Probably stripped all the bulbs, fuses etc from from any car going to the crusher.
    Ok you can say it was recycling but knowing him I don't believe the environment wasn't his priority.

I ... I can't see what's wrong with that. Did he charge the going rate for it?
    Cars are sold for parts for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

How did you realise it was used previously?

I called to buy a new bulb which I needed. He went to the store and brought out a bulb with no packaging which I thought odd but thought no more of it till later when I looked at it and it was obviously well used. I was charged as new. It just made me smile because it would be typical of this "Stingy" character.

If someone I knew came to me now for a bulb and I didn't have a new one but had one in a banger in the yard I would give it foc because in my opinion a used bulb has no monetary value and there would be more satisfaction to be got from doing the favour.

If it's new fair enough it has to be charged.

Stingy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I called to buy a new bulb which I needed. He went to the store and brought out a bulb with no packaging which I thought odd but thought no more of it till later when I looked at it and it was obviously well used. I was charged as new. It just made me smile because it would be typical of this "Stingy" character.

If someone I knew came to me now for a bulb and I didn't have a new one but had one in a banger in the yard I would give it foc because in my opinion a used bulb has no monetary value and there would be more satisfaction to be got from doing the favour.

If it's new fair enough it has to be charged.

Stingy
    New auto bulbs for an indicator wouldn't have packaging supplied because they come in boxes of 20+, so he'd be just taking one from this box to give to you

Quazzie wrote: »
    New auto bulbs for an indicator wouldn't have packaging supplied because they come in boxes of 20+, so he'd be just taking one from this box to give to you

Trust me, I would know a new bulb from a well used one.I,m a mechanic myself and he would know me

As a matter of fact if someone I knew from the trade came in to me for a new bulb or something relatively minor I wouldn't charge them at all as I know some day I might want something from them myself and the favour would be returned.

Don't get me wrong I didn't expect a new bulb free but the point is it was a stingy act.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Trust me, I would know a new bulb from a well used one.I,m a mechanic myself and he would know me

Then why are you going on about packaging, surely you'd know those indicator bulbs tend to come in strips?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

A friend read a story online about using cards abroad and how when a retailer offers "would you like to pay in Euro ?" they are ripping you off apparently.

So to humour her (i.e. to shut her up because she wouldn't stop going on!!) I worked out the difference in my last 4 month's spending in UK - mainly airports/duty free and the XE.com rate she provided.

19 transactions over 4 months ? I was "ripped off" of......... 97c.

"well it all helps". AAAAARRRRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!

Then why are you going on about packaging, surely you'd know those indicator bulbs tend to come in strips?

Probably not so much back then, remember thinking it was odd, but anyway beside the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

A friend read a story online about using cards abroad and how when a retailer offers "would you like to pay in Euro ?" they are ripping you off apparently.

So to humour her (i.e. to shut her up because she wouldn't stop going on!!) I worked out the difference in my last 4 month's spending in UK - mainly airports/duty free and the XE.com rate she provided.

I'm with your friend on this. The first time I was confronted with this I just agreed Euro without thinking as I was taken by surprise at the question. It was for a hotel bill for about £800 Stg. When I compared the FX rate the Hotel used with other purchases made the same day I was ripped off about €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Revolut card/app and those FX issues begone!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,168 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You never get the xe.com rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I am more surprised that you needed to go to a mechanic for an indicator bulb. Please tell me you fitted it yourself. Did he charge you?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

you're wrong and your friend is very much in the right here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

you're wrong and your friend is very much in the right here

For less than a euro ????

• Registered Users Posts: 40,168 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you're wrong in the sense that you calculated the total using the xe.com rate. you never get the xe.com rate. as the site itself says :

All figures are live mid-market rates, which are not available to consumers and are for informational purposes only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Always select the local currency. Read up on it. The margin on the FX rate if you select your currency will be huge. As other readers have said, you don't get xe.com.

I was stung for close to €20 on what was a €250 dinner when the waiter handling the wireless machine selected it for me. Only realised when I got home.

Next time you have the opportunity abroad at an atm, select your currency before confirming then compare it to what xe.com gives. That will prove your friend right and save you a bit when you go back and select the local currency.

Then order a revolut card.

Advertisement