Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

What I usually go by is..

If it’s a decent storm and has decent lightning its usually heading away from Ireland

If it’s crappy mush and has no lightning it’s usually heading towards Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Might turn in towards Ireland, looks to have a bit of fuel in it. Nice squall line feature off the SE coast.

68Pc3ar.png

qZzxTOL.gif

s4WxHmJ.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Blitzortung.org

ng4hCW6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Just tapping the continental plume now so could even intensify.

Folks in southeast Wexford now would probably see lightning flashes to their east and southeast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I'm going to stay up, a few of us have camera gear at the ready, a walk down to the coast later if it picks up, a few others have headed down to the south east, so there's a bit of belief...

Sure we've lost the eclipse, we deserve a bit of a lightshow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Lightning just east of Mullingar:

456878.png

Convective weather have updated their map to include up along the E coast to slight risk.

Xev4GXx.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I think it will be the usual for Dublin. Light show out to sea while its dark but nothing overhead.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    I think it will be the usual for Dublin. Light show out to sea while its dark but nothing overhead.

I'll bring the 500mm then, just in case!

• Advertisement

Not much activity right now. :(

Not much activity right now. :(

Just seemed to kick off on Blitz (there's been a few false-positives tonight)

Please say that again Kermit, but louder :)

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12

Has picked up again...a little.

dacogowa - bit of a risk, could be great or nothing...

Has picked up again...a little.

dacogowa - bit of a risk, could be great or nothing...

Risk is always worth it, I've lost many a day/night for a chance of a photo, but a few times got great shots, always worth the chance.

Now we need a little bit more warm air and Kermit to say "Not much activity right now." not superstitious at all :o

I'm still thinking if anything happens near Dublin it'll be around 4am...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Big clap of Thunder in Dun laoghaire a few minutes ago and another one just now.

Moderate rain too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Several rolls of thunder here from this shower, and some precious moderate rain.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

A few strikes showing up outside of Carlow can anyone confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hailstones here in Durrow now!

Convective cloud growing in size as it crosses the country, a bit more heating in the afternoon might give some more lightning and heavy showers.

s4DBWJM.gif

GlDFYr7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Convective cloud growing in size as it crosses the country, a bit more heating in the afternoon might give some more lightning and heavy showers.

Proper downpour here, I had just checked the radar a few minutes previous and didn't appear to be anything brewing but all of a sudden a big shower popped up and appears to be growing as it moves east.

• Advertisement

Detected sferics so far. The storm off Wales in the early hours petered out not making it near our coast. Some sporadic strikes across the country today so far. Along midlands, E, NE coastal counties showing up with most potential I think.

FgO5AP1.gif

YUgJvjY.png

tempresult_tjr9.gif

tempresult_egj5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

just had a lightning and bang of thunder ashford co wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Thunder over Ballon, Co. Carlow at present. Loud enough to be heard while driving. Very heavy, squally rain shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Thunder in wexford near clonroche.

Fairly active with must be about 20 rumbles of thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Thunder and lightning and heavy hail in shilleagh co wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Thunderstorm just passed over Enniscorthy, torrential rain and hail. It's moved East but you can still hear the thunder rumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mac_

Some of the heaviest rain I've ever seen here in Antrim. Lots of thunder and lightning but its the intensity of the rain and huge gusts of winds that is so amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

From Naas
    B066_DE82_DDD3_4_FEB_A1_DA_A32_FB9_E895_BC.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Incoming

Advertisement