Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Cant understand this warning for thundery rain and the West is not included it is bucketing down in Galway very bad flooding on the roads at present ,the radar is showing how heavy it is.

http://archive.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Looks like a bit of a squall line?
    DUmp9Tp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

MJohnston wrote: »
    Looks like a bit of a squall line?

It sure does the rain is really bad and looks very dark to the South of Galway would not be surprised to see a flash or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A few sparks rougly 100 miles to the southwest of Ireland in the last hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

ME have issued a yellow warning for heavy rain with thundery downpours for Leinster, Waterford, Donegal, Cavan & Monaghan effective from 21:00 tonight till 09:00 tomorrow. Possible accumulations 25-40mm

Met Eireann has revised the timings for which the above warning applies.

IT TAKES EFFECT FROM 16:00 TODAY UNTIL 06:00 TOMORROW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Will Dublin and surrounding finally get a show... Probably not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭squarecircles

menacing dark clouds just of shore this morning,all of a sudden an intense gust of wind and heavy torrential rain for 5 minutes,it was like a brief shot of Autumn.

quite a shock to the system,assume it was part of the squall line that developed further inland.

on a side note,you can tell that even during the poor weather here in the west,its not like a piss poor summer,there are always gaps in between the poor days,and there isn't enough misery to sustain the pig muck like during a normal summer.

Still its not ideal and unacceptable in the heart of the summer ,fingers crossed the warmth and sunshine returns,as alluded to on the gfs runs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Capture.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yikes!

DjHWC_xX4AEk8Qn.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭AllForIt

sryanbruen wrote: »

That's a fantastic pic it almost looks like a photoshop. Somone was in the right place at the right time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thundery conditions overnight and into the early hours especially in the S and SE .

j5q6uLl.png

xbstAyD.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

FINNER DONEGAL(A) N 02 VIOLENT SHOWER 16 89 2.9 1003

I didn't think they were that bad up there tbh :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Hal1 wrote: »
    I didn't think they were that bad up there tbh :P.

We'll see when they play Tyrone over the b/h weekend

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks fairly decent for a few strikes along the S coast into the SE later as a plume of warm uppers approaches land. Seems to be an area of convergence along the coast. Some very cold cloud tops showing up on the Satelite IR Simulation for there.

6UzyHdR.png

uC77KSA.png

PCsHyJA.png

dw6hDZf.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

gone very dark and misty in kilkenny, feels very heavy. Hoping for a few sparks later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Is there ever any real possibility of seeing a decent thunderstorm on the east coast? I'm in Dun Laoghaire right beside the sea and I can't remember the last time I saw lightning, spent a few summers as a child at Ballytrent in Wexford (more or less Carnsore Point, or directly southeast) and saw the most epic sheet lightning imaginable several summers in a row. So I'm guessing the centre of the East coast just doesn't have the proper topography?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lightning near Waterford City

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

pad199207 wrote: »
    Lightning near Waterford City

Hopefully it comes our way ðŸ™ðŸ»

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Not showing on www.lightningmaps.org

Rain has eased off here ..was at a fair pelt for 20 mins.

Not showing on www.lightningmaps.org

Rain has eased off here ..was at a fair pelt for 20 mins.

It showed up alright but more likely a false return.

Sferics showing up now to the southeast and in the Irish sea just west of Holyhead.

Sferics showing up now to the southeast and in the Irish sea just west of Holyhead.

Making a line for south Dublin ;)

I have beer in the fridge.

*ponders whether to crack open and wait*

West of Holyhead? Did you have a few beers already Kermit? ;)

West of Fishguard ;)

I like your style lol

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Only thinking about the beers at 1am ?

That storm off St Davids is one for the fishes methinks as the cold front inches eastwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

pad199207 wrote: »
    West of Holyhead? Did you have a few beers already Kermit? ;)

West of Fishguard ;)

I was about to say the same, but there's strike on netweather radar to the west of Holyhead.

The storm off Pembrokeshire looks decent alright, but one for the Irish Sea fishes. Good to see some sparks in the general area though, somebody could get lucky later.

Advertisement