Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

pauldry wrote: »
    What the heck is a dryline?

What else does 2018s weather have in store apart from probably 35c by the end of July?

http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/af/frnts/dfdef.rxml

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

From what I can make out the American models bring the front inland and the European hold it off/ close to the coast. Big difference in the outcome. American say a line of rain and possible thunderstorms developing in the afternoon / early evening with all that diurnal heating available, European: drizzle / light rain perhaps. MT was mentioning that this will become a Nowcast so the Satellite and obs will tell more later. Met Eireann siding with the European .

For what it is worth here is the potential thunderstorm set up.

bYDR0ux.png

TlBBjmE.png

tempresult_qyj7.gif

tempresult_fxl8.gif

ECM showing light rain at best as the weak front drifts on to the coast and slowly inland.

bPMGEsY.png

3Z9syRM.png

sOGh2oC.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

w81qCB0.png

hBDnakh.gif?1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There is an Anvil head cloud taking shape West of Galway here's hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Advertisement

Storms moving up over the Bay of Biscay, affecting the SW UK tomorrow morning . Latest models not showing thunderstorms for Ireland. ECM showing rain reaching the S coast Sun night/ early Mon morning. Worth keeping an eye on though.

kBdpYc1.gif

Zj5YSwO.gif

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1013121490177482753

0bnLHBz.png

Day 2 Convective Outlook
    VALID 06:00 UTC Sun 01 Jul 2018 - 05:59 UTC Mon 02 Jul 2018

ISSUED 14:35 UTC Sat 30 Jun 2018

ISSUED BY: Dan

Upper low will continue to be centred near NW Iberia, with a couple of shortwave impulses emanating from N Iberia and W France drifting N then NW on its eastern flank towards S / SW England. The first shortwave will be responsible for aiding the development of scattered elevated thunderstorms over Devon/Cornwall/Scilly first thing on Sunday morning, as it engages with a plume of high ThetaW advecting from France into southern Britain. This activity will tend to clear northwestwards across the Celtic Sea, though may be followed by renewed pulses of elevated showers/thunderstorms over similar areas.

Farther east, a complicated picture evolves as the moisture / instability plume nudges northeastwards, with potential for both elevated and surface-based thunderstorms over parts of Cen S England and the West Country during the afternoon. Dewpoints of 17-20C will be possible across the area, yielding up to 1,000 J/kg CAPE with PWAT values of 35-40mm. However, there is considerable uncertainty amongst NWP guidance due to the differences in handling the shape / orientation of the ThetaW plume, and any hangback of cloud following morning elevated convection - both of which will affect how much instability may be available.

Nonetheless, it seems likely that a few thunderstorms will develop over parts of Cen S England and the West Country during Sunday afternoon, drifting into the SW Midlands and S Wales - though probably with a weakening trend. If the higher values of instability do develop, then hail up to 1.5cm in diameter will be possible, along with frequent lightning and the threat for localised surface water flooding - especially given the current dry ground. In all cases, elevated thunderstorms initially pose a threat for exacerbating the wildfire risk given lightning occurring over tinder-dry vegetation, before any substantial rainfall makes it to the ground.

Further scattered elevated showers / thunderstorms may continue to develop in a rather random fashion during the evening and overnight hours over parts of Wales / West Country / Midlands / Cen S England, as subtle forcing aloft engages the remnant instability plume in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Little mini towers trying to go up here.

8uJtNTH.png

Convective Outlook
    VALID 06:00 UTC Wed 04 Jul 2018 - 05:59 UTC Thu 05 Jul 2018

ISSUED 20:07 UTC Tue 03 Jul 2018

ISSUED BY: Dan

Elongated upper low will drift across the British Isles on Wednesday, gradually merging with the larger-scale Atlantic upper trough. The focus initially will be on pockets of elevated convection over S and SW England during the morning hours, although with weak instability any lightning activity should be fairly isolated. By the afternoon, strong surface heating and low-level convergence (due to the slack surface flow) will shift the focus to surface-based developments - primarily over S + E Ireland, Scotland into N England, and S / SW England into S Wales and the S Midlands. A few isolated showers may develop, the convection perhaps deep enough locally for a few lightning strikes - though the marginal instability, weak shear and sparse coverage precludes the issuance of a SLGT. Isolated showers may continue to develop during the evening hours, particularly near M4 corridor / S Wales, though most will generally decay overnight as nocturnal cooling commences. Main threats will be locally high rainfall totals, given slow movement of showers and very dry ground - especially so on roads where dust deposition on the road surfaces over the past few weeks may make conditions rather slippery.

tempresult_qtw7.gif

tempresult_ree0.gif

tempresult_ize8.gif

tempresult_ugk8.gif

How accurate is that ? I'm right in the path of that, is it showing rain, thunder ?

Fecking garden is dying, I've watered it lots and still dying, can't be bothered with the grass any more, I haven't heard a lawnmower in weeks !

I have a well so for now I have plenty of water and the stream beside me is still healthy enough so I'm hoping the well is in good shape.

It's interesting because met.ie are not making much fuss about it. But model shows significant showers. I hope it's right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

How accurate is that ? I'm right in the path of that, is it showing rain, thunder ?

Fecking garden is dying, I've watered it lots and still dying, can't be bothered with the grass any more, I haven't heard a lawnmower in weeks !

I have a well so for now I have plenty of water and the stream beside me is still healthy enough so I'm hoping the well is in good shape.

It's interesting because met.ie are not making much fuss about it. But model shows significant showers. I hope it's right.

I wouldn't be betting my house on AROME! Harmonie has next to nothing showing but GFS high res have some kicking off a little northwest in a line of AROME.

Be interesting to monitor later but I wouldn't be expecting much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There are a few towers forming around West Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Towers going up in the sky immediately south of Dublin but probably won't amount to much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Strike near Millstreet/macroom?

Sat24.com

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12

Look at the rain and lightning going up through France this Evening !

z60jbTW.gif

mJzW81l.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Years ago in school we had a French teacher from Saint-Etienne. She was a mad yoke, still there, very animated and not the sort of woman you'd imagine would scare easily. But she told some stories about the strength of thunderstorms they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

sdanseo wrote: »
    Years ago in school we had a French teacher from Saint-Etienne. She was a mad yoke, still there, very animated and not the sort of woman you'd imagine would scare easily. But she told some stories about the strength of thunderstorms they got.

I've first hand experience of the fury of continental thunderstorms, one of which was a very lively spectacle over the Pyrenees.

Funnily enough, that big banger we had here in July '85 was probably worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Deatr

Was operating a flight from Brussels to Venice and back yesterday there were some storms over the Alps, cloud heights were up over 32000ft! Was an interesting few hours dodging. Didn’t get any photos though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'm in France at the moment and on the news last night they showed some houses and cars in the Charente department destroyed by gigantic hailstones. One particular house had all it's roof tiles smashed!
    Pics and videos here: https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/nouvelle-aquitaine/charente/angouleme/orages-grele-degats-est-charente-1506713.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

Raining fairly heavy in cork city at mo - that tropical wet rain you get on holidays !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

whatever76 wrote: »
    Raining fairly heavy in cork city at mo - that tropical wet rain you get on holidays !!

Enough to remove the yellow grass possibly, ground is actually wet

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Buddy down i Cork reporting lightning from that isolated shower. Nothing showing yet.

and Cork Airport dry ! but can see rain in distance.

EDIT: 14:51h - very heavy rain shower now.

Tazio wrote: »
    and Cork Airport dry ! but can see rain in distance.

Nuts - Am in turners cross area !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Eh? No rain in the city centre.
    Overcast but warm and sweaty.

Edit: OK I can see big grey clouds towards the south.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Eh? No rain in the city centre.
    Overcast but warm and sweaty.

Edit: OK I can see big grey clouds towards the south.

Yep - Turners Cross/Ballyphehane got hit …stopped now again !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was in Bishopstown/wilton area and its raining here too, or was raining at the time

The ECM 0Z throws in a very active convective day next Fri . A long way off for sure with the way the models have been chopping and changing but worth keeping an eye on. Atm anyway showing us under an upper trough /low, with temps low to mid 20's, High Theta E readings. Probably too early even posting this but it looks interesting.

rkMrOTD.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The ECM 0Z throws in a very active convective day next Fri...

...the 13th! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

In Salou Spain and loads of activity, fork lightening and loud rumbles, one big bang earlier. The waiter saying we brought the weather

• Advertisement

Seems remnants of a tropical storm might come close to us next week, I hope we gets lots of rain for a few days.
    It wouldn't surprise me if we get some fireworks Friday because I'm flying out to Germany and would miss it , flying on Friday the 13th haha .

Advertisement