Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The random stuff thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Why would it bother you?

Because he wants to order stuff from them but they make it awkward?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Because he wants to order stuff from them but they make it awkward?

Not really. They are saying that you can order from them. What he’s saying is that they should be paying the duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

3 people I know stuff has got seized so I'm leading the crusade.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not really. They are saying that you can order from them. What he’s saying is that they should be paying the duty.

And he's right.

And he's right.

I know he is. I was only questioning why he was having a go if he had no skin in the game, which he has now explained that he has. So it makes sense now.

• Advertisement

Just looking at the taplist for Boundary birthday bash over the weekend. All the big names on it known for one particular style. Have we hit peak saturation or is this type of list here to stay? Similar to pubs having 5 or 6 larger taps that all taste the same imo

Diepzf6WAAABL1h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

The craft beer scene appears to be stagnating somewhat. The average craft beer pub with 15 taps of IPA's and maybe a token sour/gose/weiss/stout. But that's what sells.

Let me guess.....Cloudy IPAs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Passenger wrote: »
    But that's what sells.

This is the critical bit (ignoring the catch 22 scenario).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Has anyone else noticed Wrasslers isnt tasting as it once did? Seems sweeter? Maybe im just going mad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Has anyone else noticed Wrasslers isnt tasting as it once did? Seems sweeter? Maybe im just going mad.
    I brought this up with the brewer last month. They've only done one batch at the new brewery and yes it's different - I think it's sweeter too. Hopefully it'll be back to normal for the next batch.

That’s something I always think about when it comes to consistency with foodstuffs. How can you be 100% sure that the next batch is like the last? There are so many variables with the ingredients alone, let alone fermentation, cooking, storage, etc.

I know companies have panels of tasters and the like, but even that is a variable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

BeerNut wrote: »
    I brought this up with the brewer last month. They've only done one batch at the new brewery and yes it's different - I think it's sweeter too. Hopefully it'll be back to normal for the next batch.

Glad to hear it is not just me, I rarely get to the pub these days and my Wrasslers Saturdays were always precious to me!

It really was poor today. I hope it gets back to how it used to be as frankly after they ruined the label, ruining the actual beer itself is not something I want to see happen. It actually reminded me of Beamish ( not a bad thing but if I want Beamish I will order it)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That’s something I always think about when it comes to consistency with foodstuffs. How can you be 100% sure that the next batch is like the last? There are so many variables with the ingredients alone, let alone fermentation, cooking, storage, etc.

I know companies have panels of tasters and the like, but even that is a variable.

Tasting and blending are professions for a reason. Something like Lyons or Barrys Tea has to taste basically identical box to box over decades and people are paid fairly good money to ensure they do.

Mass market beer drinkers seem more willing to accept huge variance though; Guinness now is a vastly different product to 50 years ago with multiple changes on the way.

Had a Porterhouse Red today where the tap didn't mention it was nitro and really I would have preferred that it wasn't. Just didn't work, took an age to get through it. Only it and Sierra Nevada amongst the most boring macro lineup possible though.

Picked up a few odds and ends over the past few weeks in Portugal and Newry:

Ha'penny gin - £28 70cl
    Tanqueray regular - €15 1L
    Tanqueray 10 1L + Johnny walker black collector's edition 1L - 2 for €60
    Bulldog gin - €20 70cl
    Gin Mar €32 70cl
    William Lawson's 13 year old scotch - €11 70cl!!
    Maciera Brandy - €12 1L
    Jura 10 year old - £28 70cl
    Lamb's Navy rum - £18 1L
    Havana 7yr old - €24 1L

The bar is well and truly restocked.

I also picked up a bottle of this. I was in a bar in Portugal and I was offered a glass as a digestif. When I asked about where I could find a bottle for sale, I was told that the good stuff isn't sold in shops, its all homebrewed / distilled. Like a Portuguese poitín. I asked him if he could get me a bottle and he was pretty taken aback. Didn't expect much, to be honest.

Two nights later and he collars me as I'm walking past, says he managed to snag a litre for €20. Nice wan Manuel :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

For anyone with a Kindle, the Brewdog book, Craft Beer for the People, is available on Amazon for 99p for the next 24 hours. Link here.

Any fans of Whiplash beers might do well to stock up as things are looking a bit uncertain. Seems there's a bit of trouble between them and the owners of the brewery they share, Larkins, which has resulted in the Whiplash guys being locked out. Whiplash have also been told they have to be out of the premises by 21st December. This has all resulted in Whiplash securing an injunction to allow them access to the brewery. Full details in the link below.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/craft-brewer-locked-out-of-premises-wins-interim-injunction-1.3657652

I've been keeping an eye out for Erdinger Sommer Weisse all summer, and no joy. It's like a session wheat beer, lower percentage and more hoppy. It was everywhere last year, but not very popular, so that might explain it. It was great, because a few places were selling it on the cheap when they were going out of date.

Last time I was in my local offo I asked the owner and he seemed genuinely surprised, as if he'd forgotten about it until that point.

Did anyone see it available anywhere this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,097 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's got me thinking of winter stouts :)

Got a bottle of Leann Follain whiskey barrel aged 2 or 3 years ago and it was fantastic. The local Molloys hasn't had it in since. How to get hold of one, and any other suggestions for a Christmas treat? Had a nice quadrupel last year but would like some stouts too.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Got a bottle of Leann Follain whiskey barrel aged 2 or 3 years ago and it was fantastic. The local Molloys hasn't had it in since. How to get hold of one, and any other suggestions for a Christmas treat? Had a nice quadrupel last year but would like some stouts too.

I haven't seen the BA LF in two years now, I'd say they've stopped making it.

Look.oit for White Hag barrel aged black board and Boyne Brewing barrel aged imperial stout. Both are fantastic beers. Just make sure you don't get the black boar that was aged in Laphroaig barrels because it's absolutely disgusting, like drinking iodine, the peat from the whiskey destroyed that version.

As for other stouts supervale have 3 bottles of St. Mel's Slow Burner extra stout for 9 euro at the minute. Fantastic stout. Made by the man who made the recipe for Leann Follain and every bit as good.

Keep an eye out for Station Works imperial stout aged in pearse Lyons reserve barrels which should be out by Christmas too, Thier beers have improved immeasurably since they hired the former head brewer from trouble to lead their production and recipe development.

Saw a tweet from Grand Cru earlier that said that this year's Sierra Nevada Narwhal is now available. Seriously good stout that. And Founders have another release of CBS this year. Out in the States on November 2nd, not sure when (or even if) it'll be available in Ireland, but it's another one definitely on my shopping list.

Zaph wrote: »
    Saw a tweet from Grand Cru earlier that said that this year's Sierra Nevada Narwhal is now available. Seriously good stout that. And Founders have another release of CBS this year. Out in the States on November 2nd, not sure when (or even if) it'll be available in Ireland, but it's another one definitely on my shopping list.

Narwhale isn't great tbh and really the rest of the grand cru import lineup isn't great either and had lineup of Heineken and other multinational companies to plaster their stickers and obscurrle frand CRU's recent efforts.

What?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyone any experience of decent bars in Riga?

We give out a lot in Ireland about the cost of beer festivals. Just looking at the Mikkeller Beer Celebration Copenhagen 2019, tickets start at a whopping €70!!! :eek:

"All tickets includes entrance, an official MBCC 2019 glass and beer."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

And presumably that's only for a three or four hour session. But you get to put on Twitter/Instagram/Untappd that you're at the Mikkeller Beer Celebration, which is worth €70 by itself, easily.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Spend 4 hours pinting in the top beer bars in Copenhagen and you'll not be far off spending €70 either though.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    And presumably that's only for a three or four hour session. But you get to put on Twitter/Instagram/Untappd that you're at the Mikkeller Beer Celebration, which is worth €70 by itself, easily.
    Yeah it's only for a certain time
    TICKET TYPES

YELLOW: Friday May 10 10:00-14:00

BLUE: Friday May 10 16:00-20:00

RED: Saturday May 11 10:00-14:00

GREEN: Saturday May 11 16:00-20:00

PINK: All session

The pink session will cost you a whopping €255!!

You could of course go crazy and get a Gold Session Ticket for €375 or lose your sh1t altogether and get a Platinum Session Ticket for €470

I couldn't find the details but is the cost of beer extra, or is it part of the ticket price?

Advertisement