Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Nvidia Shield

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Lads is the shield that good? I had a lot of problems with two cheap boxes and then upgraded to a Minix Neo U1 but I still found it quite glitchy and unreliable.

It is yes

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭corks finest

Lads is the shield that good? I had a lot of problems with two cheap boxes and then upgraded to a Minix Neo U1 but I still found it quite glitchy and unreliable.
    It's the dogs bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Thanks, is the controller worth the extra money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

6541 wrote: »
    Hi All I have been watching this thread for ages - I pulled the trigger at Euro 176.17 including the controller.

Should of used revolt saved around another 9 euro

• Advertisement

Will you or anyone in the house ever try gaming

If there are no gamers in the house then no it’s not worth the extra

OmegaGene wrote: »

Worth the extra as a backup remote even

• Registered Users Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭xtal191

You could always sell the controller

Etnies wrote: »
    Worth the extra as a backup remote even

xtal191 wrote: »
    You could always sell the controller

They are on adverts at €45 already
    Take off registered post and it’s hardly worth doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Any real advantage of the Shield over an Amazon Fire TV box (the pre-dongle one)?
    Not hugely interested in the gaming side of things (already have PS4 and Switch) but would be a nice bonus if the streaming and customisation options are worth replacing my Fire TV for?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

Just bought one of these. Had it in the basket and clicked to pay by accident. I was 50/50 about getting one but I think I'll just go ahead with the order and not cancel. Hope it's worth it. The missus won't be happy with more gadgets coming into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Any real advantage of the Shield over an Amazon Fire TV box (the pre-dongle one)?
    Not hugely interested in the gaming side of things (already have PS4 and Switch) but would be a nice bonus if the streaming and customisation options are worth replacing my Fire TV for?

They are worlds apart. The shield will work as a server with attached storage, and play almost everything without transcoding. I buy a lot of kit, use it for a few months and sell it on Adverts and upgrade. It's the best money I've spent on TV box and it's the best Plex TV client bar none.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭corks finest

I use it for the other apps on my shield,HD movies, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

What games playable on retrox? PS1, PS2?

Only really tempted by retrox, is it worth it just for it?

I use it for the other apps on my shield,HD movies, etc

Does the regular controller not do everything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,215 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Does the regular controller not do everything ?

The right analog stick on the controller also works as a mouse pointer which is needed for the free movie/tv show APKs you can sideload. The regular remote can't be used as a mouse pointer.
    Kuva wrote: »
    What games playable on retrox? PS1, PS2?

Only really tempted by retrox, is it worth it just for it?

PS2, no. PS1 is included. The emulators retrox supports can be seen in this video.
    https://youtu.be/IxsWJXu5UfM?t=93

• Registered Users Posts: 16,599 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Retrox also emulates a huge swathe of 90's and 00's Arcade machines, aswell virtually every home console of note up to the PS1.
    It's the one app I can hand on heart say I've never regretted paying for.
    I only play @7/8 games regularly on Retrox but I always enjoy it(out of @7000 in my collection)
    As for the normal gaming via Geforce..
    It really is a fantastic bit of kit, the game streaming is dependant upon your internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

Is there a working link to this remote on Amazon.uk. The link on this on Youtube leads to something completely different.
    Tia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

If you only use Netflix, YouTube and Prime Video, no massive benefit in getting the Shield.

The UI will be quicker, the video quality the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

doylefe wrote: »
    If you only use Netflix, YouTube and Prime Video, no massive benefit in getting the Shield.

The UI will be quicker, the video quality the same.

Also note. Amazon devices don't natively have Google stuff anymore so be prepared to put in some effort to add them

Interesting.. just copped last night that because I had selected my Dublin address for my shield, it hadn't given me the deal price and charged full price, cancelled and reordered with parcel motel and got deal price.

Something to watch for I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

banie01 wrote: »
    Retrox also emulates a huge swathe of 90's and 00's Arcade machines, aswell virtually every home console of note up to the PS1.
    It's the one app I can hand on heart say I've never regretted paying for.
    I only play @7/8 games regularly on Retrox but I always enjoy it(out of @7000 in my collection)
    As for the normal gaming via Geforce..
    It really is a fantastic bit of kit, the game streaming is dependant upon your internet connection.

this on play store?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,599 ✭✭✭✭banie01

sweetie wrote: »
    this on play store?

http://www.retrox.tv/download/

All retrox's emulators and comparability is based on freeware emulators.
    Some have their own tweaks and some emulator cores are written exclusively for the app.
    Everything Retrox does, can be done by other free emulation apps.
    Assuming you have the patience to set them up and Google guidelines for any issues.

However if you have ever tried using a multi system emulator on Android, it very quickly becomes a huge PITA even if you have an idea of exactly what needs to be done.

Retrox manages to bundle everything, library, emulation and overlay into a very straight forward and intuitive U.I where after initial(and simple) set up, you basically have a library of games broken out on a by system or by title basis that is as simple as click and play.

It makes emulation on Android a 1 stop shop rather than the other methods(free tho) available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I still don't get why people never mention retroarch. Doesn't everything retrox does but for free and you can install from the play store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retroarch&hl=en_IE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

TBi wrote: »
    I still don't get why people never mention retroarch. Doesn't everything retrox does but for free and you can install from the play store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retroarch&hl=en_IE

Because it's a major pain in the hóle to configure?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Can light gun games like time crisis and point blank be played on the shield, games from the arcade as well as playstation, Saturn's, dream cast etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Because it's a major pain in the hóle to configure?

Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Kuva wrote: »
    Is it?
    Deleted the link as I am not to sure if it is allowed here or not.

search RetroArch Tutorial - Easiest Possible Setup on google

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jontr

mickzer wrote: »
    Is there a working link to this remote on Amazon.uk. The link on this on Youtube leads to something completely different.
    Tia

Would also love to get one, BangGood is all sold out :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement