Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The "far right" as MSM calls them in Germany are not going to get into power,ever again. Those are groups that are proscribed organisations like NPD,Wehrsport Gruppe Hoffmann etc.IOW they have to be two goose steps to the right of Hitler and total neo-Nazis.Anything that gets too antsy gets shut down very quickly by the German Govt.

CSU in Bavaria[The "Fuk You Berlin" since German reunification in 1850 state] is the equivalent of Fianna Fail on steroids. Conservative, big business, farmers, Catholic values of government.Seehofer himself has said it "it is impossible to work with that woman[Merkel] on the immigration issues."

Hardly a bunch of Seig heiling ,goose-stepping Burgerbrau Keller dwelling SA goons.
    s to why the bile against Trump, simple, the big money on wall street was backing aged wharf whore Hilary Clinton.
    DID YOU KNOW? Our own Dennis O Brien pumped between 9 to 23 million euros into her election fund and Clinton[self enrichment and tax dodge[ foundation? Denis payout on this was establishing a new telecom system [Digicel] on Haiti post the earthquake.
    Seeing that the Clinton foundation is under IRS investigation and bankrupt, Trump is in the House and Denis is out millions...Is it anyway surprising that every article on President Trump in any of his MSM rags in Ireland are full of bile?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/denis-o-brien-used-clinton-connections-to-help-haiti-relief-efforts-1.2826072
    http://freebeacon.com/blog/oh-denny-boy-how-the-clintons-helped-an-irish-telecom-tycoon-makes-millions-in-earthquake-ravaged-haiti/
    https://fora.ie/denis-obrien-clinton-foundation-haiti-3022451-Oct2016/

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

So it looks like FF will back the Frances Black / SF bill to start boycotting Israeli products. The shows how FF will sell out anything or anyone if they think it is worth it to get back votes on the left / hard left. A worrying fact for gun owners in Ireland.

FF.FG.SF..All-Pro EU butt kissers...Please , anyone from those parties, spare us any more sanctimonious claptrap about Ireland having any sort of independent or arbitrary powers to do anything on the international stage without any say so from the EU. Looking at you Micheal Martin in particular after your disgusting toadying speech in the Dail when the big boss dropped in:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

F**k it.

Come on England. :D

/awaits abuse
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Cass wrote: »
    F**k it.

/awaits abuse

uRT.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

F**k it.

/awaits abuse

Won't happen, there is a load of novichok floating around, chances are the england team are going to get a dose of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

I wouldn't even piss on them :p

Always a good idea NOT to write your letter of protest before you know who it's going to be against. :rolleyes:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

I hope the TDs enjoy their well earned summer break, all 67 days of it. I mean they must be exhausted having passed a grand total of 13 pieces of new legislation. Not to mention having sat for a whole 64 days this year so far, it must be truly exhausting.

To put my "subtle" sarcasm in context they have passed 60% LESS legislation than in the previous years, have sat for 25% FEWER days than in the previous years, but have managed to give themselves €5,500 pay increase because "they're entitled to it".

All posts from #562 onward were split from this thread.

• Advertisement

Like anyone, LE purchasing officers are prone to sales hype too.
    Don't mention SPAS12s and a certain film starring the future governor of California and said SPAS12, and coincidently of course the ERU and ARW acquiring said guns in the same year the film was released in Ireland. While suffering a "Idontlike de look o dat now"ban for us mere civilians.:rolleyes: Said SPAS's are now armoury rack queens gathering dust and collectors value.

The Hk MP7 is a supposedly body armour piercing round.4.6X30. According to the HK blurb "The new high-performance calibre penetrates the NATO CRISAT TARGET (1.6 mm titanium and 20 layers of kevlar) even at 200 m" I would tip on another fact,4.6 is so uncommon around here that the gun would be useless for anyone after expanding any ammo with it, whereas a 9mm, you could probably scrounge up some rounds around here or there.

TBH it is a better choice than the UZI, which is a CQB battlefield weapon that while slow for an SMG is still hardly a gun for civilian urban situations.This HK is controllable and more appropriately a personal defence weapon,but still a battlefield gun ,but the risk of over penetration from both is still horrendeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Steve wrote: »
    I am genuinely curious as to why AGS even have access to such a weapon.

According to the internet, they are using an MP7A1.
    Capable of 960 rpm / 16 rps and a capacity of 20, 30, or 40 rounds. This gives an effective mag life of 1.25 to 2.5 seconds on full auto.

How, in any scenario is this useful (except maybe in the hands of a criminal or terrorist)?

Yea it's great fun in Airsoft to have a MP "hedge trimmer" but the mag can hold several hundred rounds... Any firearms experience I've had WRT full auto weapons is that the only shot that counts is the first one, the rest are indiscriminate. That was from friends I went to ranges with in the US who had either military or police training.

You don't have to empty a magazine, burst fire is available too. You could also keep it on semi automatic.

What else would you suggest they use instead?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

o1s1n wrote: »
    A weapon limited to semi automatic.

My question was, why the need for a fully automatic weapon and what possible advantage would this give? What situation would it ever pay them to use it in?

I'm sure you have done way more CQB in airsoft than I have and know that the ability to blind fire an automatic gun around a corner of a building will result in more kills but in real life and where law enforcement is concerned, that is not possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

My question was, why the need for a fully automatic weapon and what possible advantage would this give? What situation would it ever pay them to use it in?

I'm sure you have done way more CQB in airsoft than I have and know that the ability to blind fire an automatic gun around a corner of a building will result in more kills but in real life and where law enforcement is concerned, that is not possible.

To expand on that, If I was a front line soldier at war faced with a wave of oncoming enemy then yes, a fully automatic weapon has a purpose.

It has no use that I can see as a civilian peacekeeping tool, in fact, it the danger of it's loss to criminals - as apparent in this case - is far greater than any apparent potential usefulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

To expand on that, If I was a front line soldier at war faced with a wave of oncoming enemy then yes, a fully automatic weapon has a purpose.
    My incredibly limited knowledge of such things was that the purpose of the fully automatic mode was to make the other side keep their heads down while some of your side moved forward to fire single shots into them and as such the guy spraying lead downrange wasn't necessarily aiming at the other side, just towards their general vicinity.

So, as you say, it's very hard to think of a scenario where such a tool should be used by a civilian police force, especially in a city where there are people living pretty much everywhere that a stray round - or an over-penetrating round - could go.

It is not a thought that leaves me with the warm and fuzzies.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Buddy airsoft really?... jesus christ. Adrenaline is a mighty drug(also someone could be on actual drugs like PCP) so it often takes more than one round to actually stop something or someone, and also i dont think mp7s come in semi auto only:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

By the same rational, the ERU cars should be limited to 80mph.
    That's the maximum allowable speed in this country.
    But wait, there is a device to regulate the speed, called the accelerator.
    Its operated by the Garda drivers right foot.

In the same vein, the weapon in question also had a device to regulate it's speed of fire.
    It's called the selector switch.
    It's operated by the Garda's finger or thumb, and used in conjunction with the trigger to regulate the rate of fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

I am genuinely curious as to why AGS even have access to such a weapon.

According to the internet, they are using an MP7A1.
    Capable of 960 rpm / 16 rps and a capacity of 20, 30, or 40 rounds. This gives an effective mag life of 1.25 to 2.5 seconds on full auto.

How, in any scenario is this useful (except maybe in the hands of a criminal or terrorist)?

Yea it's great fun in Airsoft to have a MP "hedge trimmer" but the mag can hold several hundred rounds... Any firearms experience I've had WRT full auto weapons is that the only shot that counts is the first one, the rest are indiscriminate. That was from friends I went to ranges with in the US who had either military or police training.

The normal force does not have access to automatic weapons. The drug cartels have an abundance of fully automatic weapons in the country. Do you really need to ask why the ERU use fully automatic weapons?

VonZan wrote: »
    The normal force does not have access to automatic weapons. The drug cartels have an abundance of fully automatic weapons in the country. Do you really need to ask why the ERU use fully automatic weapons?

Yes. Because the drug gangs aren't supposed to be looking out for the well-being of the public, while the armed garda units are. Also, the armed gardai's tools are bought with public money, so frankly, whether we're buying the best tools for the job is something the public are allowed to question, and "best" in this case is not a metric set solely by the Gardai. We, the backstop, are part of that metric as well, so things like accuracy and over-penetration and the safety of the general public are factors.

[
    QUOTE=o1s1n;107513008]You don't have to empty a magazine, burst fire is available too. You could also keep it on semi-automatic.

You are dealing with two different doctrines of firearms usage. Military and police.
    the military is designed for mass production, expend ammo,a lot of ammo, at a target,or group of targets in a trench,or enclosed area. You don't need a superior target rifle, when you have yourself,a squad,a designated marksman,a light support machine gunner, a "door kicker" CQB guy who carries a shotgun as well as breaching tools, and a radioman to call in artillery if you cant take or hold a position. Not to mind,you are expecting to have people being killed.A total opposite to any police operation. Look at the way the AK is laid out on the fire selector. Safe, FULL auto,Semi. The reason is simple. Its a doctrine of using full auto to storm positions, and then use semi to finish off any other survivors.

Police work OTOH is a whole different kettle of fish.The first edict of it is to save lives and not shoot at all,if at all possible.If say it is a hostage situation, you have it contained and cordoned off. Your snipers can pick their locations, have bags of time to set up and range estimate and do all the rest behind their super accurate and heavy rifles that are capable of ultra sub-MOA cold bore shots at a given distance. Compare a police sniper rifle to a military sniper rifle and you will see what I mean, two different doctrines and environments for a gun to be used in.
    Its why the Germans developed the HK PSG1,a super accurate SA police rifle after Munich, where they discovered that surplus M1carbines with 4power scopes were not good police sniper weapons at Furstenfeldbruck airfield when the Black September lit up the Israeli hostages.But the PSG1 is way too heavy for a military sniper.At almost 12lbs you would be hard pushed to do a Gunny Hathcock 5day crawl to target with that lump.

So translating all of this to what we have here.A sub gun is by its nature not accurate,as most inc the AGS UZI are open bolt design. While simple does not lend to accuracy irrespective on semi or full.HK with their delayed roller back does give you better accuracy in their personal defence weapon which is what the 7 is.

[There is a difference now between PDW and SMG, usually more now with caliber rather than design and usage.A PDW is more used by military personnel who don't need a full assault rifle all the time.IE tank crews, radiomen, cooks, REMF's:) etc, and ignoring the logistics of supplying two different calibre ammo... But again .how accurate can you be resting your cheek on a wire strut? If you are going to be doing headshots from 10 to 100 meters over iron sights off a wire frame stock and can assure 100% hits. I doff my cap to you Sir.
    Next problem, human reaction under stress fire. There is plenty of evidence of US police officers literally emptying their service pistols into a victim, reloading, and shooting another mag into the corpse. Their after action reports make interesting reading and even under questioning a variation of this is"I thought I had only fired 4or 5shots and didn't even realise I had reloaded"
    IOW in the time when the bullets are flying, people can go into shutdown mode and go to instinct and training takes over.So how easy could it be for someone to hit the full switch and not realise it?

Finally, our policing using firearms is totally different to the rest of the worlds armed police.An incident occurs with armed police, the first officer on the scene's job is to access and if possible contain the situation while radio in for backup, guaranteeing that more armed help is on the way within minutes.
    Here our unarmed police have to radio in for armed support,who might be nowhere near,and the situation could have changed dramatically in minutes. Ergo, having full auto won't contain the situation much better,and going by incidents like Athy and Garde Effie getting shot by friendly fire, it sounds like the last thing you want in a situation involving civilians.

Ultimately, who is responsible for someone using a full auto weapon and the shots go and hit some innocent party. We are responsible every time we pull the trigger on single shot.I'd hate to be the person in the witness box or the chief commissioner or the justice minister explaining why my burst of 9mm managed to miss my target,but riddled Mrs Murphy's kitchen window, her dog and the late Mr Murphy by mistake.

So what do we need to arm our AGS properly?I would say a short barrelled carbine in semi-auto with 308 and the proper ammo[Black tip armour piercing] if facing barricaded or Kevlar, and literally HUNTING ammo hollow point boat tail for nigh on one shot ending of situations. Ironically, police forces CAN use HP ammo as the Hauge and Geneva conventions only refer to military prohibitions on its use.
    In fact, HK made a perfectly good rifle for this the HK SLB 2000.30.06. It's accurate for police work, detachable box mag, a calibre that has plenty of AP and frangible bullets to prevent over penetration.

• Advertisement

VonZan wrote: »

From the wiki link I provided, those with access to the machine pistol in question are:

Garda; Special Detective Unit, Emergency Response Unit, Regional Support Unit, National Bureau of Criminal Investigation

I'm simply asking if anyone can provide a scenario where the use of a fully automatic weapon could be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

From the wiki link I provided, those with access to the machine pistol in question are:

Garda; Special Detective Unit, Emergency Response Unit, Regional Support Unit, National Bureau of Criminal Investigation

I'm simply asking if anyone can provide a scenario where the use of a fully automatic weapon could be justified.

Better to have and not need, than need and not have

Which is a lovely axiom that rather omits the points that we may not have and we are the backstop.

And by "backstop" I mean "the thing behind the targets". You know. The berm. The bullet catcher. The late Mr.Murphy.

And in what scenario would there be a 'need' for AGS to use full auto?

And to respond to a point made by Grizzly 45:
    "Look at the way the AK is laid out on the fire selector. Safe, FULL auto,Semi."
    The MP7A1 is safe-semi-full as can be seen from the picture. I agree with your synopsis that in the heat of a gun battle, rational actions become more automatic and it would be all too easy for the user to unwittingly move the thumb switch to the full auto position and end in a situation to the detriment of "Mrs Murphy's kitchen window, her dog and the late Mr Murphy"

HK+MP7A1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I have followed this thread with interest and I am some what amused by the topic of automatic fire and the use of fully automatic weapons.
    It is a bit of a fallacy that the military use automatic rifles or assault rifles, if you wish to use the term, in full auto mode as a standard practice. Even the use of section weapons such as a general purpose machine gun (GPMG) is done so in short controlled bursts, approx 3-6 round bursts. Sustained fire will require barrel change out and expenditure of rounds so quickly that a section will be out of ammo and effectively defenceless or ineffective.
    The use of combined fire from rifle men,using assault rifles and a GPMG at section level is meant to deliver a quick sharp shock to the enemy to nuterlise it's ability so that the good guys can either hold, advance or withdraw. At this stage it is a controlled volume of fire directed towards the enemy. In most situations you do not want your rifle men raining down automatic fire.
    If the objective is to nuterlise the enemy then using fire and manouver with the GPMG layinging down short bursts to keep the enemy occupied the rifle men move into assault positions giving fire if needed in semi auto mode. At the final stage when an assault team is ready to nuterlise the objective then fully auto would be selected to clear a position.
    To be honest and only from a training point of few an assault rifle in semi auto mode will deliver enough rounds on to target in the heat of the moment to do the job, but I would still like the ability to have that auto mode if needed.

Now having said all that, really only for clarity in terms of use of auto fire by military, is there a scenario where there is a need for it on the streets of Ireland, I don't know.

BUT remember and please correct me if I'm wrong, when was there a cash in transit guarded by the Irish Army ever robbed?
    The presence of government personnel armed with select fire weapons proved a deterrent to both subversive organisations and to criminal organisation a like. On more than one occasion we have situations where state agencies have been overwhelmed by criminal fractions and in most cases it was a result of been over gunned by superior fire power. I think lessons learned have driven the needs of our police service to be armed in such a way as we see now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Why do Gardai have full auto body armour shredders ? There's a simple answer to that question. Because the scum have full auto weapons and body armour and talking doesn't always work with them. In an armed confrontation looking at it is far better than looking for it.

Does anyone recollect the incident in Ballymun a few months ago where Gardai were about to enter a drug dealers house ? They were fired upon before they could even enter resulting in fortunately fairly minor injuries to Gardai. That's why they need this type of tools. In a scenario like that there's quite a few jurisdictions where the response would have been to chuck in a few grenades and not of the smoke or flashbang variety.

Again, those are lovely hollywood scenarios, but reality isn't hollywood and frankly, there is a reason we don't want gardai firing suppressing shots. Ever. Those shots will not harmlessly bounce off the wall out of frame and cease to exist. They are every bit as lethal to everyone in that general direction for anything up to a mile depending on the trajectory, as the Gardai are very, very, very, very fast to remind us about our firearms (and rightfully so).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

The good guys will always be at a disadvantage to the bad guys.
    There are a specific set of rules governing the use of force one can level at an individual and the use of force escalates in accordance to the threat level to either your self or an individual.
    There are very real and conceivable scenarios where the use of deadly force would be your first and imeadiate course of action but if your not justified, and 'justification' is a deciding factor in the use and degree of force you can bet your arse that no uniform or badge will save you from the high jump.

So no, clearing a building of bad guys with grenades is not an option for many day to day armed confrontations encountered by the the Gaurds but the use of warning shots and containing shots is approved for Irish troops when working in aid to civil power as a lesser degree of force. Whether the armed units of the guards can do the same I don't know.

I

BUT remember and please correct me if I'm wrong, when was there a cash in transit guarded by the Irish Army ever robbed?
    The presence of government personnel armed with select fire weapons proved a deterrent to both subversive organisations and to criminal organisation a like. On more than one occasion we have situations where state agencies have been overwhelmed by criminal fractions and in most cases it was a result of been over gunned by superior firepower. I think lessons learned have driven the needs of our police service to be armed in such a way as we see now.

The INLA in Kerry did one back in the 1970s early 1980s and TBH it was a play straight out of a Hollywood production. They used diversion signs and diverted the CIT convoy into a narrow boreen where the troops couldn't deploy from the vehicles and were trapped inside. The INLA relived them of arms and the CIT of money.:)

Also note that the PIRA "Green book" specifically forbade hostile actions against the forces of the Republic, and also it is an axion of guerilla warfare, not to waste manpower against superior forces. Why bother with attacking an armed CIT when you can blag four of the local post offices on dole day?:)

TBH,it is a hangover from what EU police forces did and what we had left in the armouries post civil war.Our SB men had Thompsons as std issue one time too.

• Advertisement

but the use of warning shots and containing shots is approved for Irish troops when working in aid to civil power as a lesser degree of force. Whether the armed units of the guards can do the same I don't know.

Warning and containing shots...Hmmm,I reckon a good defence lawyer could seriously make a meal of such actions by either military or police or civillian.. Where did that warning shot bullet go for once?If you are firing warning shots,your life cant be in that much of a danger then can it? So why fire,and you are clearly misjudging the situation? That kind of training/ thinking needs to go out the door pronto. As there is less lethal options available and you can escalate or de-escalate the force required these days.Tazers,Mace,pepperball,riot ammo ,all useable before leathl force needs to be applied.

Advertisement