Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IAAF World Under 20 Championships Tampere 2018

• 13-07-2018 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

You can watch a live stream of the IAAF World U20 Championships in Tampere, Finland on the IIAF YouTube channel, along with archives of the previous days. Irish hurdler Derval O'Rourke is co-commentator.

Here are some races with Ireland:

Men's 4x100m 16:30
    Women's 200m Heat 18:08

14th July
    Men's 5000m 13:20
    Women's 100m Hurdles Heat 12:03

Ireland are also in the Women's 4x100m Final

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nevan

If someone could post a link to that please?

Ireland also through to the final in Men’s 4x100m after mayhem at the last handover.

4x100m finals are tomorrow afternoon
    Women 14:04
    Men 14:40

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Phenomenal stuff from both teams. The men's side obviously very lucky but you need it in the relay.

That women's team is something else though. Was looking at their SBs and there's only .3s between Gina Akpe-Moses and Molly Scott (a hurdler!). Amazing consistency.

• Advertisement

nevan wrote: »
    Ireland also through to the final in Men’s 4x100m after mayhem at the last handover.

My mistake. Irish men came in third and didn’t qualify for the final.

Ah I forgot it was three semis, unlike the women's.

Also to add to the OP, Sommer Lecky is in the High Jump final on Sunday

Just watching it back. Adeleke pulled up after giving the baton away. Would be an awful shame for her if she missed the final because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Faugheen wrote: »
    Just watching it back. Adeleke pulled up after giving the baton away. Would be an awful shame for her if she missed the final because of it.

Jamaica and the us are out. 2nd fastest this yr. Did Neville run in the semis?

jamule wrote: »

No, it was Molly Scott, Gina Akpe-Moses, Rhasidat Adeleke and Patience Jumbo-Gula. Neville was running in the 200m this evening.

• Advertisement

She ran the 200m semi but didn’t qualify for the final

Looked like she hurt her hamstring. Was limping after the handoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Hope she’s ok for today, but we have a very strong sub in Ciara Neville to step in if not.

Fingers crossed they can medal today. What an opportunity.

Just watching Molly Scott in the hurdles there.

You can absolutely see why she's on the first leg of the relay. She's lightning quick off the start.

She came last in her semi, btw.

Just watching Molly Scott in the hurdles there.

You can absolutely see why she's on the first leg of the relay. She's lightning quick off the start.

She came last in her semi, btw.

Seemed to lose her way on the 4th or 5th hurdle, but she’s an absolute powerhouse out of the blocks.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Hope she’s ok for today, but we have a very strong sub in Ciara Neville to step in if not.

Looks like Ciara Neville is running in the 4x100m instead of Adeleke ok. Starting now.

A sloppy last change I think cost us but silver is a phenomenal achievement, make no mistake.

Great job by Patience Jumbo-Gula to bring it back in as well.

A sloppy last change I think cost us but silver is a phenomenal achievement, make no mistake.

Great job by Patience Jumbo-Gula to bring it back in as well.

Great race! Really good runs and smooth handoffs. Last handoff was a bit of a mess but Patience Jumbo Gula powered from fourth to second making up about 5 metres on the leader.

First under 20 relay medal ever for Ireland and an Irish record at 43.90, as well as a team PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

First under 20 relay medal ever for Ireland and an Irish record at 43.90, as well as a team PB.

.06 outside the senior record, you would imagine that will go this summer. Add in the 2 healys and foster , I wouldnt like to pick that team.

• Advertisement

.06 outside the senior record, you would imagine that will go this summer. Add in the 2 healys and foster , I wouldnt like to pick that team.

Amazing conversation to have though.

Who does everyone pick? Gina is a shoe-in I think. I think you have to bring Patience despite her age because she's the third fastest Irish woman this year. Those 5 and Neville and it's the makings of a very strong team which hopefully can only get faster in the future.

What does everyone think of Molly Scott? I know she's hurdled all her life but her PB on the flat is not far off the rest of them and she's in the top 10 fastest in Ireland this year, which I think is very good considering the flat isn't her discipline.

Would a flat 100 or maybe even expanding to the 400 hurdles be a better suit for her long term?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Would a flat 100 or maybe even expanding to the 400 hurdles be a better suit for her long term?

Would think moving up is the last thing she should be doing.

Her strongest characteristics are her explosive power out of the blocks and her technical ability over the hurdles.

400mh for women is a less technical event (due to the height) and the longer distance would nullify that start.

As it stands her hurdle time is superior to her flat.

Amazing conversation to have though.

Who does everyone pick? Gina is a shoe-in I think. I think you have to bring Patience despite her age because she's the third fastest Irish woman this year. Those 5 and Neville and it's the makings of a very strong team which hopefully can only get faster in the future.

What does everyone think of Molly Scott? I know she's hurdled all her life but her PB on the flat is not far off the rest of them and she's in the top 10 fastest in Ireland this year, which I think is very good considering the flat isn't her discipline.

Some of the juniors might need a rest to be honest. Certainly the younger ones who ran Euro U18s.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Sommer Lecky has cleared 1.90m to lead the High Jump. Another junior record!

G'wan the women! :eek:

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Sommer Lecky has cleared 1.90m to lead the High Jump. Another junior record!

G'wan the women! :eek:

A very solid clearance as well. Murillo just over there to but Lecky better on countback

Guaranteed a medal now.

What colour?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Guaranteed a medal now.

What colour?

This medal means that Tampere has officially doubled the medal tally in this event in our history.

Silver it is.

It's been a great few weeks.

Roll on Berlin. Buckets of medals await...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

Question: What was the selection criteria for these championships?

Looking at the results in some events and Ireland could have done well - Heptathlon and discus - any reason why these athletes were not selected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Question: What was the selection criteria for these championships?

Looking at the results in some events and Ireland could have done well - Heptathlon and discus - any reason why these athletes were not selected?

Are there athletes that met the qualifying standards and were eligible but not selected?
    Elizabeth Morland is too old afaik

Advertisement