Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radio nova

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

jvan wrote: »
    But lets face it, the jnlr figures will keep going up as they turn the station into samey samey or todayfm lite or whatever you want to call it.
    A rock based music station is a niche market and there are only a finite amount of people who will listen. If they keep dumbing down the content and bringing in 'celebrity dj's then people will move across from other stations.

Higher figures in jnlr's doesn't necessarily mean better radio. The sad truth is that they want higher numbers so they can attract more advertisers. The bai should step in, their license wasnt issued on it being the same as everything else.

Of course they want higher numbers so they can attract more advertisers. That's the reason it exists.

This is the other problem with this thread; people still want Nova to be the Nova of the 1980s, a pirate hobby horse that doesn't need to turn a profit. That's not the reality of it.

I doubt there's anything in their licence about not dumbing down or not employing presenters without the proper rock credentials that the posters on this thread would demand. I'm not sure what BAI would pull them up on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Of course
    This is the other problem with this thread; people still want Nova to be the Nova of the 1980s, a pirate hobby horse that doesn't need to turn a profit. That's not the reality of it.

Eh???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Of course they want higher numbers so they can attract more advertisers. That's the reason it exists.

Well said former former,though one thing I would vary with you on - the Radio Nova of the 80s was very profitable - 14 minutes of ads per hour in the run up to Christmas in 82 iirc.

The current Nova has incurred substantial losses and has to evolve to survive while staying within its strict licencing requirements.

The Jnlrs confirm it's doing something right even if I am not a huge fan of certain changes the majority are happy.

If posters want to complain about stations changing formats or moving from their original licence for me Nova is not the first station that comes to mind.

Some may recall FM104 promised daily radio drama......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭prunudo

I doubt there's anything in their licence about not dumbing down or not employing presenters without the proper rock credentials that the posters on this thread would demand. I'm not sure what BAI would pull them up on.

Well if thats the case then there is a problem with the buisness model of radio stations and in particular niche stations. It shouldn't be about chasing higher numbers. The only way a station can contuine to grow its listenership is to dumb down its format and appeal to a broader base. Therefore you're moving further and further from the orginal listeners.
    The Bai opened up the license to rock based station, not a clone of today fm or 98fm. They are to blame for the content on the airwaves as much as the station management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kritical

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Eh???

Interesting turn of phrase from respondent . My point is that Nova was awarded a rock licence and it would be nice to think that’s what Is , but it’s no longer that

As to whether company is profitable after 8 years really is a company Issue hate to think its been subsidized all this time

For what it matters I never liked the 80s Nova and afaik it’s only called that as a tribute -

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Kritical wrote: »
    Interesting turn of phrase from respondent . My point is that Nova was awarded a rock licence and it would be nice to think that’s what Is , but it’s no longer that

As to whether company is profitable after 8 years really is a company Issue hate to think its been subsidized all this time

For what it matters I never liked the 80s Nova and afaik it’s only called that as a tribute -

I believe it was a "guitar based music" licence, or at least I think that's what they stated in their application.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I believe it was a "guitar based music" licence, or at least I think that's what they stated in their application.

The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (“BAI”) has today (Wednesday 4th August) signed a ten-year sound broadcasting contract with Classic Rock Broadcasting Limited (trading as Radio Nova) for the provision of a classic rock music-based commercial sound broadcasting service for a general audience in the 25-54 age group on the FM band in Dublin City, County and Commuter Belt. The service will provide a wide variety of classic rock music from the last 40 years with some speech elements.

http://www.bai.ie/en/bai-signs-10-year-contract-with-classic-rock-broadcasting-limited-ta-radio-nova/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

FanadMan wrote: »
    The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (“BAI”) has today (Wednesday 4th August) signed a ten-year sound broadcasting contract with Classic Rock Broadcasting Limited (trading as Radio Nova) for the provision of a classic rock music-based commercial sound broadcasting service for a general audience in the 25-54 age group on the FM band in Dublin City, County and Commuter Belt. The service will provide a wide variety of classic rock music from the last 40 years with some speech elements.

http://www.bai.ie/en/bai-signs-10-year-contract-with-classic-rock-broadcasting-limited-ta-radio-nova/

This isnt the first time somebody quoted this segment, but there are still some here that for some reason cant read it properly, or maybe they just dont want to or have some involvement with the station or personnel...just sayin..;)

"Classic" does not mean "old". A song from 2017 is equally eligible to be classic as one from 1977. I think there's a huge misunderstanding about that.

And George Ezra or Bastille are neither classic nor rock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭Infoanon

jvan wrote: »
    And George Ezra or Bastille are neither classic nor rock?

Both fit the rock genre and both are within the last 40 years.

As I said 8 years ago the definition of rock is very wide and is far more inclusive than exclusive.

More importantly the 2 artists you mention meet the BAI licence requirements and Novas targeted demographic.

There was a documentary a few years ago where Harvey Goldsmith gives advice to different businesses,one of the business was Big L radio - it's up on you tube and gives a great insight to the casual listener about how a station is programmed and the importance of focus on your demographic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭furiousox

Download the (free) accuradio app and select the "Classic Rockin' Nights" or "Roots of Metal" genres.
    Classic rock, no inane "banter" and unlimited skips.
    It's my current in-car entertainment of choice and the perfect antidote to that wretched breakfast show.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

furiousox wrote: »
    Download the (free) accuradio app and select the "Classic Rockin' Nights" or "Roots of Metal" genres.
    It's my current in-car entertainment of choice and the perfect antidote to that wretched breakfast show.

Haven't downloaded this app yet but had a look at the site on computer. Searched for the quotes and there's nothing matching. Might be different on the app.

Does this app jump to different stations to keep to the genre going or does it just seek genre stations and stick to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭furiousox

If you go to "genres" and then "classic rock", there's loads of great stuff in there.
    Looks like they've renamed the two I mentioned to "Heavy '70s" & "High Voltage Classic Rock".

CPL 593H

"Classic" does not mean "old". A song from 2017 is equally eligible to be classic as one from 1977. I think there's a huge misunderstanding about that.

A 2017 Renault Clio is not and never will be a classic car...just the same with music imo....

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

There should be no misunderstanding whatsoever.

'Classic' is defined as a piece of work judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.

i.e. "a classic novel", "a classic song".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

A 2017 Renault Clio is not and never will be a classic car...just the same with music imo....

Although I think a song needs a bit of longevity before you can call it a classic, your analogy doesn't work.

Why Renault Clio? It's like saying the new Justin Bieber song will never be a classic.

How about the 2018 Ford Mustang? Could that be a classic one day? I think so. (I don't even know if there's a new version, but you get my point)

furiousox wrote: »

Thanks for the heads up, just tried it and listening to the Surf Sounds genre on it, love it!

Wheety wrote: »
    Although I think a song needs a bit of longevity before you can call it a classic, your analogy doesn't work.

Why Renault Clio? It's like saying the new Justin Bieber song will never be a classic.

How about the 2018 Ford Mustang? Could that be a classic one day? I think so. (I don't even know if there's a new version, but you get my point)

You should read previous posts ..you might see what i was saying..;)

You should read previous posts ..you might see what i was saying..;)

I shouldn't have to read back :mad:

This 'last 40 years' thing from BAI. Does that mean Nova can't play anything earlier than 1978 now?

That means when they granted this licence, they had already cut off the whole Beatles catalogue. :eek:

• Advertisement

I shouldn't have to read back :mad:

This 'last 40 years' thing from BAI. Does that mean Nova can't play anything earlier than 1978 now?

That means when they granted this licence, they had already cut off the whole Beatles catalogue. :eek:

It means they dont have to....which is a huge relief for them hence the modern (not classic:P) sh1t stuff theyre playing, George Ezra, Ed Sheeran, ...oh yes..its coming soon...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

But some modern music will be considered classic in x years time... just not the music Nova are playing now

By this "logic" Nova could never play any new music.

That is surely not what people think?

By this "logic" Nova could never play any new music.

That is surely not what people think?

They have a rolling 40 year window. Each day they can play new music from that day but lose music from 40 years and a day+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kritical

The point many here are making is that Nova seems to have moved far away from what it seems to have committed to play in its application. You can argue for the rest of time whether Florence & the Machine should be played ( I believe it’s soft rock into AOR) but artistes like George Ezra are really pushing the definition as are many of the dance tracks they are playing

Interesting though is Fuzzys observation ðŸ˜about guitar -is that the out-clause for Nova ? If he’s right (sorry or she) , then they have carteblanche to play whatever they like.

They have a rolling 40 year window. Each day they can play new music from that day but lose music from 40 years and a day+.

Curious...where did you get this from..??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

they play the same songs over and over
    lightning seeds - lucky you
    the who - subsitute
    ELO - confusion
    aerosmith - love in an elevator

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    they play the same songs over and over
    lightning seeds - lucky you
    the who - subsitute
    ELO - confusion
    aerosmith - love in an elevator

As said many times before this is what the majority of their loyal listeners want...or what Hayes (the owner ;)) thinks they deserve...I was driving around yesterday, flicking around the stations ..the others were playing all the same stuff you'd hear on nova, and in some cases better tracks AND less annoying jox ....we officially no longer have a "rock" FM station in the Dublin area , this "guitar based" nonsense that Ball-less Branigan keeps churning out is a load of jizz...
    Not sure when their license is up but the BAI need to take a long look at their process...
    Quote".The BAI will endeavour to ensure that viewers and listeners in Ireland have access to a diverse range of services, programming and perspectives that meets their needs and reflects their diversity. It will actively encourage and support Irish broadcasters in realising this objective...

Definition of diversity. plural diversities. 1 : the condition of having or being composed of differing elements : variety; especially : the inclusion of different types of people (such as people of different races or cultures)

Clearly not to include radio.........:)

Speaking of classic rock, haven't heard Acdc on Nova in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭peterobrien100

So according to Tony last night OTR is getting replaced by Ciaran McGuinness who is switching from Saturday to Sunday

Steve Downes wasn't mentioned but Gavin Glass has a longer show on Sunday with GG now on Saturday nights as well

At least it ain't Al you know who

Advertisement