Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SonOff Low Cost Wifi Switches for Home Automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

The switches can also be flashed with Tasmota (little harder than flashing a basic but nothing major). GPIO isn't attached to the button so you need to manually pull it to ground. I switched all mine over and run them off hass.io with no issues. Much tidier solution IMO, but you need to have a neutral connection to each switch.

The above instructions are for the Sonoff Touch. If you get a T1,2 or 3 you can follow these.

Fantastic, definitely a better solution, thanks for letting me know will take a look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

b.gud wrote: »
    Fantastic, definitely a better solution, thanks for letting me know will take a look at it

No worries, just a heads up if you plan on putting these in a bedroom, the LED in standby mode is pretty bright in a dark room. I ended up sticking a few layers of electrical tape on the back of the front panel. Works like a charm.

Feel free to give me a shout if you need advice with anything. I've fallen down every possible pit along the way :) Once you have it working it's pretty solid!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

No worries, just a heads up if you plan on putting these in a bedroom, the LED in standby mode is pretty bright in a dark room. I ended up sticking a few layers of electrical tape on the back of the front panel. Works like a charm.

Feel free to give me a shout if you need advice with anything. I've fallen down every possible pit along the way :) Once you have it working it's pretty solid!

Thanks, might do that. It could be a few months away before I actually get the chance to install them, solicitors love slowing up the buying process :rolleyes:, but will definitely give you a shout if I have any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Johnny7136

I just cut a lamp cord and installed one of these basic switches before the original switch. I've lost manual control of the lamp now. Is that just the norm or should I have put it after the switch? If I leave it on in the app I can control via normal switch.
    Id like my emersion on one of these, are they safe, the higher amp version obviously
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Johnny7136 wrote: »
    I just cut a lamp cord and installed one of these basic switches before the original switch. I've lost manual control of the lamp now. Is that just the norm or should I have put it after the switch? If I leave it on in the app I can control via normal switch.
    Id like my emersion on one of these, are they safe, the higher amp version obviously
    Thanks

You can buy plugs now with this chip and software. No need for cutting (just plug in and configure)

Manual control shouldn't be lost. You have to leave the power on, then the on/off function is controlled by the button on the Sonoff (manual) or the app software.

I have been using these on lamps, electric blanket , lights, and my central heating oil burner with great success, next will be the immersion heating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭cletus

durtybit wrote: »
    You can buy plugs now with this chip and software. No need for cutting (just plug in and configure)

Manual control shouldn't be lost. You have to leave the power on, then the on/off function is controlled by the button on the Sonoff (manual) or the app software.

I have been using these on lamps, electric blanket , lights, and my central heating oil burner with great success, next will be the immersion heating.

Have you a link for the plugs?

cletus wrote: »
    Have you a link for the plugs?

https://www.itead.cc/smart-socket.html

S20 are the UK version I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭cletus

durtybit wrote: »
    https://www.itead.cc/smart-socket.html

S20 are the UK version I believe.

Cheers man, saves me hacking the shït out of everything flex cord in the house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Any problems running CH pump and standard oil burner from the Sonoff 4CH Pro?
    Some specs from it.

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bootser

JaCrispy wrote:
    Anybody?

You just need to check the current(amps) of your ch pump and oil burner, add them together and if it's less than the rated current for your switch your good to go. I had this issue with the netatmo I installed for my heating, when I replaced the time clock the burner and pump were run directly through it and were slightly over the reatef current of the netatmo and I had to route the power through another relay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭taytobreath

would u get away with putting an immersion thru a double son off, i.e. bath and sink. I dont think the bath side of the immersion draws more than 10 amps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

would u get away with putting an immersion thru a double son off, i.e. bath and sink. I dont think the bath side of the immersion draws more than 10 amps.

Would you use the 16 amp version?

There's no way I'd use a 10 amp SONOFF on an immersion, I wouldn't use it on a continuous load, far too flimsy imo.

You couldn't use just two units either, there is no way to prevent each element being swiched on simultaneously.

You'd need to add in some sort of priority switch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

I've done an immersion with a 4ch SonOff (it supports interlocking so either sink or bath is on).
    However it takes up a lot of space in an enclosure and has more channels than is required for the application.
    If I was doing it again I'd use a SonOff dual, connected to two 25A contactors.
    The first contactor would be driven by CH1 and would provide on/off functionality.
    The load output from that contactor would go to a second contactor with 1NO and 1NC output - driven by CH2.
    The sink and bath elements would be connected to each of these outputs.

That way CH1 would turn on the immersion and CH2 would toggle between either sink or bath. No possibility of turning both on at the same time and no power through the SonOff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Hi,

I have 6 GU10 spots in my kitchen, if I were to put the cable going to these spots through these switches and then put the switches above the plaster board (in the attic) would they work, the router is in the kitchen.

Also, can you program them to come on at the same time? i.e hey google turn on all kitchen lights, and can you program them individually, i.e hey google turn on light 1 in kitchen.

If I had two lights on and wanted to turn on the rest of them could i ask google to turn on all lights, would the ones that were initially on remain on or would they turn off?

I have no need for those coloured hue lights in a kitchen and this sounds like a cheap alternative.

I finally got time to do this and I was expecting the worst but surprisingly it went very well. All 3 sonoffs are up above the ceiling and working perfectly. It only took me about 20 mins to connect them all.

The one thing I was afraid of is what happens when I loose wifi, so I checked this and there is a setting within the eWelink app that you can set the lights to be on in the event of no wifi. This means that when you hit your wall switch they will turn on without wifi.

I thought the response time would be slow as in when you tap the app to turn it on or when u ask google home to turn it on there would be a delay of a few seconds, but they are almost instantaneous, nothing wrong with it for €4.30 each. I ordered a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭paulbok

I hope I've read this right, but Home Assistant now looks to have a native dashboard for flashing and setting up these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭THE ALM

paulbok wrote: »
    I hope I've read this right, but Home Assistant now looks to have a native dashboard for flashing and setting up these.

Like the look of that, will have to do some investigating.

Have a 4CH Pro 2 sitting in a box looking for a use although I don't see it specifically mentioned, will have to see if it is compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭xckjoo

paulbok wrote: »

Interesting. What are the advantages to using this approach instead of standard flashing approach with ArduinoIDE or whatever? I've some plugs I need to get around to flashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Patww79 wrote: »

Im getting the same, still work though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Im getting the same, still work though

Same here. Weird!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I installed the immersion 16a and I find that after an hour it turns itself off. And need more than an hour to fill a bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

You've got an issue there then, check the log and see if there's any detail there on what is switching it off. It should stay on indefinitely until turned off.

How do I pull the log, have been able to pull the history file but that only tells me when on or off

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

new firmware update for these devices - anyone know what the changes are?

new firmware update for these devices - anyone know what the changes are?

Do they not release a change log?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Haven't seen it

With the standard firmware how do I check the log to identify whats turn mine off after about an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I'm having an annoying issue where the app works whenever I'm on my LAN but if I switch to mobile data the app immediately changes to 'network unavailable' . So I basically can't control them remotely. Tried clearing caches reinstalling etc. I can't even log in the the app on mobile data!
    Anyone have similar issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I want to have fans turn on automatically to cool my xbox and ps4 inside a unit.

My idea is to use this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071988992/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AYM9YHWPPAA0I&psc=1 on an extension lead with usb ports and then power the fans off the usb.

Does this sound ok?

Advertisement