Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SonOff Low Cost Wifi Switches for Home Automation

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Perfect! ..was just about to pull the trigger on one. You're a gent

PM me your Paypal details and price (include shipping) and I will send you payment and address.

On its way to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

On its way to ya.

Thanks so much

Don't forget about that email address - I mean it!

its not much but I insist

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Do the timed events show up in the history in the app I have a remote onr here and not sire if its actually working?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

The sonoff t1 looks perfect for a heated towel rail in my en suite. I'd like to be able to set it to come on for 30 mins in the morning prior to getting up.

Currently the towel rail is operated by a switched fused spur and is hardly ever used. It has 2 lives 2 neutral and an earth feed. However the issue is it's got a 13a fuse.

Does anyone know if those rails actually draw much current?

The T1 is only rated at 2a. Alternatively is there anything else that would suit this job?

I'd love to replace my light switches with these but I seem to only have a single live on the ones I checked.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

There's a 16 Amp SONOFF

You can fuse the spur down.

Again I wouldn't have a 10 amp SONOFF behind anything higher than 6 amps or so.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    There's a 16 Amp SONOFF

You can fuse the spur down.

Again I wouldn't have a 10 amp SONOFF behind anything higher than 6 amps or so.

You wouldn't know the model of the 16a? I didn't see anything suitable on their website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

PaulKK wrote: »
    You wouldn't know the model of the 16a? I didn't see anything suitable on their website?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XTNSJ46/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

The sonoff t1 looks perfect for a heated towel rail in my en suite. I'd like to be able to set it to come on for 30 mins in the morning prior to getting up.

Currently the towel rail is operated by a switched fused spur and is hardly ever used. It has 2 lives 2 neutral and an earth feed. However the issue is it's got a 13a fuse.

Does anyone know if those rails actually draw much current?

The T1 is only rated at 2a. Alternatively is there anything else that would suit this job?

I'd love to replace my light switches with these but I seem to only have a single live on the ones I checked.

Check out the shelly1
    https://shelly.cloud/shelly1-open-source/

Small enough to go into a wall box. Ordered one last week for the same purpose, hoping it is dispatched from tomorrows batch.

Can be reflashed to tasmota

kenmc wrote: »
    Check out the shelly1

Small enough to go into a wall box. Ordered one last week for the same purpose, hoping it is dispatched from tomorrows batch.

That looks great, and there's space behind the faceplate of the spur for it too. Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I don't know the model numbers

Google

16amp SONOFF

You'll get lots of hits, select one you are happy to buy from.

• Advertisement

Check out the shelly1

Jeez they look a great little powerful unit.

Anyone using them, or let us know how you get on?

Thanks

Jeez they look a great little powerful unit.

Anyone using them, or let us know how you get on?

Thanks

I've one ordered, it says i'm in the pre-order for 20sept, so hopefully thats true and I'll be getting one in the next few days.

Saw it on a youtube channel comparing to sonoff.

I've one ordered, it says i'm in the pre-order for 20sept, so hopefully thats true and I'll be getting one in the next few days.

Still waiting on delivery of my Sonoff S20 but like the idea of hanging one of these off some higher amp feeds

I've ordered one too but it'll be October.. let us know how you get on.

I've ordered one too but it'll be October.. let us know how you get on.
    She's on her way :)

Did a search but can't find anything on here, does anyone using the broadlink switches with the RM pro hub as an alternative to the sonoff switches (no use due to lack of neutral)? They only need a live connection and use rf from the hub.

I have power in my ceilings and could place the hub in there hidden. I have concerns about the range though as I have concrete first floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Hopefully somebody here who has a touch more hands on experience can shine some light on an issue i have, which if im correct could be solved via two sonnoff's .
    Our heat is controlled via UFH + a control board, the board has wiring ports for a hot water tank Thermostat and for a DHW Pump ( see attachment hopefully ) 
    The pump I'll replace with a two port valve to open the circuit, as the boiler and Main pump are controlled else where. 
    The issue,  Well I dont have  3 core and earth running up to the tank upstairs :( . My thoughts we're  TH16 at the tank, with temp sensor under the  insulation, wired to a fused spur, down at the board, another Sonnoff perhaps a  Pow R2. and some MQTT and node red in between them. 
    So essentially, the TH16 monitors the temp, and via MQTT/node red, tell the POWR2 to bring power to the Switch live on the board, which in turn should allow the board to active the "port valve and allow some hot water flow in to the tank .. 
    Any pit falls or thoughts greatly appreciated.

She's on her way :)
    Finally arrived. Slowest. Post. Ever

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

B1 is the light bulb.

Got one today.

Don't bother with them, very disappointing light output.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

CGI_3 wrote: »
    B1 is the light bulb.

Got one today.

Thanks good to know.

I've a few of the original Basics, TH16, POW R2, S20 and S26 - can't think of places to use them at this stage... "Hey google, turn off Alexa!"

• Advertisement

CGI_3 wrote: »
    B1 is the light bulb.

Got one today.

Seconded. Going to use mine in the porch for Halloween, but otherwise it's entirely forgettable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Any recommendations on fastest shipping for usb to ttl connectors, waiting over 9 days now, order not dispatched off amazon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I'm using this for a towel rail in the bathroom. I just need a boost switch. Any recommendations on something I could bodge to have as a switch for controlling these?

A sonoff? Sure, just extend the push button switch which is mounted on the top, solder 2 wires to extend it and then use a momentary wall switch

kenmc wrote:
    A sonoff? Sure, just extend the push button switch which is mounted on the top, solder 2 wires to extend it and then use a momentary wall switch

Works very well

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭davegilly

For it to work as a BOOST do you need to do anything again to turn it off after a set length of time? Will a momentary switch not just turn it on and leave it in?

davegilly wrote:
    For it to work as a BOOST do you need to do anything again to turn it off after a set length of time? Will a momentary switch not just turn it on and leave it in?

It will.

Not sure how to do this simply.

You can make a soft iftt button with stringify; on, set timer for 60 min, then off

But hardwired I'm not sure.

You could get that iot button press or hack an Amazon button to call the command

I've something similar on my immersion. I use lightwaverf and it has built in event building, so I can make an on , set timer, off command within the lightwaverf environment.

This can then be called as an IFTTT button press on my phone or smart watch.

You could do the same with SONOFF you'd need the cloud timer but it's possible.

Would it work as a button on your phone or watch?

Would be on Google hub too

Something else I'd SONOFF as a temp heating solution.

I'd no boost but I added an IFTTT applet that read the temp from my Samsung temp reader and knocked off the heating above a certain temp

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As an aside, Ordering from Amazon versus AliExpress does not guarantee any sort of quicker receipt of the goods.

I got a two and half week lead time on some 1G switches i ordered from Amazon, practically the same time from Ali yes amazon was more expensive...

Look at the details first. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

listermint wrote: »
    As an aside, Ordering from Amazon versus AliExpress does not guarantee any sort of quicker receipt of the goods.

I got a two and half week lead time on some 1G switches i ordered from Amazon, practically the same time from Ali yes amazon was more expensive...

Look at the details first. :)

Aliexpress in 2 and a half weeks? I wish. Aliexpress is typically 4-8 weeks delivery.

Advertisement