Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SonOff Low Cost Wifi Switches for Home Automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    I want to have fans turn on automatically to cool my xbox and ps4 inside a unit.

My idea is to use this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071988992/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AYM9YHWPPAA0I&psc=1 on an extension lead with usb ports and then power the fans off the usb.

Does this sound ok?
    It's plausible. Make sure there is enough ventelation in the box for air in and air out.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

durtybit wrote: »
    It's plausible. Make sure there is enough ventelation in the box for air in and air out.

Thanks it'll be inside a unit so I might put one fan in and one out so there would be airflow

Thanks it'll be inside a unit so I might put one fan in and one out so there would be airflow

Keep the sonoff relay on the outside and the thermometer portion on the inside. Relay may have associated heat.

durtybit wrote: »
    Keep the sonoff relay on the outside and the thermometer portion on the inside. Relay may have associated heat.

Good thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Was looking at sonoff to run in parallel to analaog time switches attached.

I think the switches would work for this. But I was also looking for a way to measure the hot water in the cylinder.
    Anyone recommend where could get a wireless probe for a hot water cylinder that could display the hot water temp on my phone .

• Advertisement

john_doe. wrote: »

I think the switches would work for this. But I was also looking for a way to measure the hot water in the cylinder.
    Anyone recommend where could get a wireless probe for a hot water cylinder that could display the hot water temp on my phone .

Is this for a solar installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

The SonOff TH will do that, you can view temp through the app.

air wrote: »
    The SonOff TH will do that, you can view temp through the app.

Thanks for that, I thought this was a general temp sensor not a water probe. How does it attach to a water cylinder?

One other question - are these sonoff unites CE certified now. They have a CE marking on them but not sure is this EU certificate.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

john_doe. wrote:
    One other question - are these sonoff unites CE certified now. They have a CE marking on them but not sure is this EU certificate.

They have a CE cert alright.

I'd use the 4 channel unit on you timer too if it's within the load limits, you can do more with interlocking etc.

However it's still 8 run timer for all.fkur channels to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Stoner wrote: »
    They have a CE cert alright.

I'd use the 4 channel unit on you timer too if it's within the load limits, you can do more with interlocking etc.

However it's still 8 run timer for all.fkur channels to share.

There's a discussion on the CE cert stuff here.
    Consensus seems to be that they are CE certified but that doesn't mean much.

“the scope evaluation relates to the submitted documents only”. What that means is BCTC simply reviewed the documents and felt it was worthy of a CE mark. In no way should people consider this equivalent to a UL, CSA, or TUV grade certification.

Personally I don't think I'd ever wire one of these to something with a high current demand like your immersion. They're too cheap to have high quality control procedures (IMO).
    Anybody know how self-install of these devices could impact on your home insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

So I've moved into a new house and I was planning on adding a few SonOff touch light switches. I read the earlier post about needing the neutral wire so I opened up one of the light switches and I'm happy to say I think I have the required wires, picture below. Just wondering is there anything else I need to consider before installing one?

PrxvuZu.jpg

Nope, looks like you're good to go.

air wrote: »
    Nope, looks like you're good to go.

Nice one, have you used them yourself? Planning on flashing mine with Tasmota and using them with Home assistant.

No, haven't used the switches or the bulb holders myself, Have tried most of the rest of the range though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

b.gud wrote: »
    So I've moved into a new house and I was planning on adding a few SonOff touch light switches. I read the earlier post about needing the neutral wire so I opened up one of the light switches and I'm happy to say I think I have the required wires, picture below. Just wondering is there anything else I need to consider before installing one?

The only other thing to consider is if you are installing a multi gang switch (controls more than 1 light on a single switch), all the lights must be on the same circuit otherwise you might start to get nuisance tripping due to different circuits joining up. You can confirm that they are on the same circuit by tripping the relevant specific trip switch and ensuring all switches on the desired switch do not work.

And one other thing also, if you have 2 way switches (i.e. a switch that controls a light a two different points in a room), I dont believe SonOff switches support this but you would probably still be able to install one as a single switch and loose one switch point (which could be replaced with an RF switch later).

slayerking wrote: »
    The only other thing to consider is if you are installing a multi gang switch (controls more than 1 light on a single switch), all the lights must be on the same circuit otherwise you might start to get nuisance tripping due to different circuits joining up. You can confirm that they are on the same circuit by tripping the relevant specific trip switch and ensuring all switches on the desired switch do not work.

And one other thing also, if you have 2 way switches (i.e. a switch that controls a light a two different points in a room), I dont believe SonOff switches support this but you would probably still be able to install one as a single switch and loose one switch point (which could be replaced with an RF switch later).

Thanks those are a few good points to be aware of

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

xckjoo wrote:
    Personally I don't think I'd ever wire one of these to something with a high current demand like your immersion. They're too cheap to have high quality control procedures (IMO). Anybody know how self-install of these devices could impact on your home insurance?

I'd agree, I've a 10 amp one on a 6watt lamp and another .5 amp supply.

I've advised on not overloading them here from . Have watched and linked to lads putting them on 10 amp loads for hours with no issues
    But I'd fuse them at 5 amps max

I've one on a heating timer fussed at 3 amps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Hey there experts, I've standard Sonoff switches (flashed with Tasmota) that have been working very reliably with my Home Assistant setup the last few months. They're just controlling desk lamps and basic things for now. Very reliable and great value.

My next project is to control my zoned gas heating system.

Currently I have battery powered thermostats in each zone that are wired back to the hot press (see photos below); these seem to operate as a relay (the thermostats themselves make a loud "click" on and off). So I was thinking the sonoff 4ch pro would work with this setup? If so I would get an electrician to wire it up, don't fancy touching this stuff myself.

455933.jpg

455934.jpg

Am I right in thinking that I can wire in one of the basic wifi switches on an extension lead and then use alexa for voice control? I want to start off with something small before I try some elaborate project

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Am I right in thinking that I can wire in one of the basic wifi switches on an extension lead and then use alexa for voice control? I want to start off with something small before I try some elaborate project

yes, but the basic sonoff only has live and neutral. wiring an extension lead will require the earth to go round, its really messy, if youve got a basic sonoff just do a lamp first.

But once you do you'll realize how easy it is and how good it works.

My 5 year old turns her lamp on and off with with alexa. We named her lamp ""hername" lamp, and then registered it so you can issue commands like
    "alexa turn off xxxx lamp"
    or
    "alexa turn xxxx lamp on"

But whatever way she was articulating her name, alexa wasnt picking it up so we played around with words til alexa recognised one so she named her lamp "chocolate" so nightly we get "alexa turn chocolate lamp on" :D

• Advertisement

yes, but the basic sonoff only has live and neutral. wiring an extension lead will require the earth to go round, its really messy, if youve got a basic sonoff just do a lamp first.

But once you do you'll realize how easy it is and how good it works.

My 5 year old turns her lamp on and off with with alexa. We named her lamp ""hername" lamp, and then registered it so you can issue commands like
    "alexa turn off xxxx lamp"
    or
    "alexa turn xxxx lamp on"

But whatever way she was articulating her name, alexa wasnt picking it up so we played around with words til alexa recognised one so she named her lamp "chocolate" so nightly we get "alexa turn chocolate lamp on" :D

I haven't bought the switch yet so I'll just get one with the live in it.

Maybe this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Control-Consumption-Measurement-Function-Assistant-01-Sonoff-Pow/dp/B06XZ4QDH6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1531814817&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=sonoff&psc=1

The power consumption monitoring could be handy I want to use this extension lead for my tv and consoles and I wont have easy access to pull the plug out

I haven't bought the switch yet so I'll just get one with the live in it.

Maybe this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Control-Consumption-Measurement-Function-Assistant-01-Sonoff-Pow/dp/B06XZ4QDH6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1531814817&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=sonoff&psc=1

The power consumption monitoring could be handy I want to use this extension lead for my tv and consoles and I wont have easy access to pull the plug out

yeah thats the one, but get them on ebay, cheaper. I got my first one on amazon, the rest on ebay. not a bother with any of them.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/5-Packs-Sonoff-Pow-16A-Smart-APP-WiFi-Remote-Switch-Module-DIY-Power-Measure-GO1/292636119269?hash=item442278d0e5:m:mhflypVJiKJGNalNHsjAeag

yeah thats the one, but get them on ebay, cheaper. I got my first one on amazon, the rest on ebay. not a bother with any of them.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/5-Packs-Sonoff-Pow-16A-Smart-APP-WiFi-Remote-Switch-Module-DIY-Power-Measure-GO1/292636119269?hash=item442278d0e5:m:mhflypVJiKJGNalNHsjAeag

Nice one, whats the delivery time like from them?

Nice one, whats the delivery time like from them?

I got a couple from china at the start and had them in under 2 weeks, the uk ones usually 7-10 days.

most of the ebay shops will do all of the devices. Pick ones based in "uk and ireland".

I've all the lamps done with the sonoff basics, the POWs on the extension boards and the higher one again for the immersion.
    All paired with alexa dots I have around the house I got on sale in argos.

One thing, make sure you have an android device when configuring the sonoffs, I couldnt get it to work with apple devices, others have said it works ok but I just couldnt get the iphones to pair with the sonoff. I wasted a good couple of hours before trying an old android tablet to do it, worked in seconds once I used that, android phone worked too .

Hey there experts, I've standard Sonoff switches (flashed with Tasmota) that have been working very reliably with my Home Assistant setup the last few months. They're just controlling desk lamps and basic things for now. Very reliable and great value.

My next project is to control my zoned gas heating system.

Currently I have battery powered thermostats in each zone that are wired back to the hot press (see photos below); these seem to operate as a relay (the thermostats themselves make a loud "click" on and off). So I was thinking the sonoff 4ch pro would work with this setup? If so I would get an electrician to wire it up, don't fancy touching this stuff myself.

455933.jpg

455934.jpg

Are you also going to control the hot water from this .
    Will you flash the fimrware and bring it into Home Assistant.

Are you also going to control the hot water from this .
    Will you flash the fimrware and bring it into Home Assistant.

Yep the plan is to have the sonoff control the 3 gas powered zones - zone 1 (upstairs), zone 2 (downstairs), zone 3 (hot water), and also the thermostat (referred to as "hot water clock" on the guide, if I'm right). So 4 in total.

I've flashed all my existing sonoffs to tasmota and it works great so that's what I'll do here as well. They should show up as 4 separate switches in home assistant. I've never downloaded the ewelink app.

All depends on if my heating system will work with the sonoff 4ch pro. And I wonder if I can continue to have the existing thermostats connected so that they will still work as a backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The main win for me it that it doesn't depend on the cloud. It all runs local in my house so in the case of an internet outage everything still works once you are home. All you lose is remote access.

That and the fact that Tasmota is open source, I've a small assurance that my switches aren't going to become part of some botnet :D

The main win for me it that it doesn't depend on the cloud. It all runs local in my house so in the case of an internet outage everything still works once you are home. All you lose is remote access.

That and the fact that Tasmota is open source, I've a small assurance that my switches aren't going to become part of some botnet :D

If you configure a VPN in homeassistant you can still have remote access :D

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    If you configure a VPN in homeassistant you can still have remote access :D

If you hook it up via Home Assistant (MQTT) then you can control them in lots of interesting ways (mostly automated), but if you secure your Home Assistant setup adequately you can also easily access from outside your home network.

The default firmware on sonoff devices doesn't integrate with home assistant ( https://www.home-assistant.io/ )

Advertisement