Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Households To Produce Receipts For Waste Or Face Fines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

That's great news. Because I know half my neighbours have no rubbish collection. They spend their time stuffing rubbish into the public bins on the street which are then too full for genuine people to use. About time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Malayalam wrote: »
    Thinly veiled 'we will soon have to put a micro-chip in all your bins' move. Smart cities are the future, you plebian doofuses. Or preferably in your body. You know, just to be sure, to be sure. :)

Sounds good to me! Where do I sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

We are paying by weight - a green policy when the reality is that it is already resulting in a mad increase in fly tipping locally. I think progress had been made in rural areas in recent years with nearly every household having a bin but things are going backwards now. A fine idea on paper but in reality, it's not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Graces7 wrote: »
    And for the bring banks?

Whole idea is ***********

Fine for towns etc where they have collections etc...

Like many here I have almost no waste.

Stop trying to find an issue where there is none. I can't envisage the bin police calling to people's doors demanding reciepts. More like they will use it as a way to help proseceute suspected fly tippers.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Reckon they should fire up a few more incinerators around Dublin, put general waste to good use.

I use the local recycling centre which also takes general waste. €3 in and €2 addition for general non recyclable waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Kat1170

seamus wrote: »
    I'm making the point that this isn't a "Fine Gael inventing nonsense and making a cash grab" initiative as another poster seems to think it is. This initiative has been implemented at a local level by other political parties, the government are simply adapting it to ensure a consistent approach is taken nationally.

Whether it's effective I can't say, but I completely support these rules being on the books. Fly tippers are some of the worst dirtbags around. The rock bottom of anti social behaviour.

Where's the "stealth tax" here?

So, you don't know if it works but you're all for it :confused::confused:

Stealth tax = won't be used in any way shape or form to stop fly-tipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

How about a re-design of property tax like in other parts of Europe? Consists of the actual property tax and a flat rate that includes bins, water and maintenance charges for streets, parks etc. Have one company servicing designated areas, everyone has bins so, water is paid for and it's all good. Otherwise I don't see how you'll get on top of that disastrous infrastructure clusterfcuk.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

LirW wrote: »
    How about a re-design of property tax like in other parts of Europe? Consists of the actual property tax and a flat rate that includes bins, water and maintenance charges for streets, parks etc. Have one company servicing designated areas, everyone has bins so, water is paid for and it's all good. Otherwise I don't see how you'll get on top of that disastrous infrastructure clusterfcuk.
    You can't be implying that our taxes will go towards actual services can you?!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kat1170 wrote: »
    So, you don't know if it works but you're all for it :confused::confused:
    So, you said, "Proper enforcement andlarge fines or jail terms are the only way."

That's exactly what this is. Or at the very least it is the mechanism through which enforcement is possible. So presumably you're all for it too?
    Stealth tax = won't be used in any way shape or form to stop fly-tipping.
    What won't be used?

I really don't think you even bothered your hole reading the article, you've just decided to go on a little rant.

cournioni wrote: »
    You can't be implying that our taxes will go towards actual services can you?!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

While I do see the logic and benefit in this, at the same time I'm wary of the whole "you live here and you take what you're given" scenario.

I don't think it can be applied to all services in the same way. For stuff like water or street maintenance, sure. It's the same infrastructure, the same standard.
    For waste, I'm not sure. You could be unlucky enough to live somewhere where the local bin guys are lazy fnckups or sticklers for the rules. Your mate who lives a KM has sound binmen who take away black bags too, whereas your guys will refuse to take your bin if the lid is open by 3mm.

It's like health and schools in the UK. When you live in an area, you either use the local GP and the local school, or pay to go private if you don't like it. Regardless of how good the local service is.

So I'm all for consolidating costs and services where it makes sense, but balanced with freedom of choice where feasible. Certainly in terms property/council tax, it seems clear that the nature of waste varies massively between people. So IMO it makes more sense to allow people to choose the waste service that best suits their usage. Rather than having conscientious/low waste generators pay proportionately way more and negligent/high generators pay proportionately little.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,141 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Because then lazy cunts won't make an effort to either reduce, reuse or recycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

seamus wrote: »
    For waste, I'm not sure. You could be unlucky enough to live somewhere where the local bin guys are lazy fnckups or sticklers for the rules. Your mate who lives a KM has sound binmen who take away black bags too, whereas your guys will refuse to take your bin if the lid is open by 3mm.

This single waste provider for an area would also reduce the cost of road repairs which are needed due to the rediculous number of large rubbish trucks driving through small estates every week. Ther must be about 15 large trucks a week in our estate making ****e of the road. The council have to come out regularly to fix the potholes the trucks are making.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

We don't have bins and nor do many deep rural places. At the last place, we bought special bags and left them at set points on set days.

Separate bags for separate things

And used the bottle banks etc
    Thats something I never thought about actually. How is rubbish managed on the island ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jim_bop

Out of curiosity, have they ever or why don't they encourage/force manufacturers and retailers find ways of minimising packaging and move towards biodegradable, e.g., afaik in San Fran water is only sold in glass now as plastic bottles were banned to help with waste reduction. Surely similar programmes could contribute significantly here along with other measures at the customer end that we're discussing here.

Because then lazy cunts won't make an effort to either reduce, reuse or recycle.

Which can then be penalised by the company.

It is simply so disgraceful that the countryside, one if Ireland's most valuable assets of Income (tourism) is used as a landfill and people fight over paying by weight or per lift. I understand that people here on boards seem to recycle like they're supposed to and anything bin related is an absolute inconvenience for them. But we're not talking about some minor issue, but something that devalues the country and attracts pests, causes environmental problems.
    The shoulder patting is absolutely unnecessary, because littering happens in all parts of society. Driving around in the middle of nowhere everyday has me taught one thing: cigarette buds and litter gets thrown out of the 03 Corolla as well as the 172 Nissan Qashqaj and don't get me started on the fleets of tradesmen around here. Once it inconveniences people they simply "forget" about their litter or common sense to not stuff the sides of the road with litter. If the vast majority of people would follow some common sense rules, there would be no need for these kind of measures. The place isn't littering itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

fineso.mom wrote: »
    Thats something I never thought about actually. How is rubbish managed on the island ?

. Informally...every time I go to the mainland i take bags of jars and tins etc We have no bins or collections. And no tipping either.

. Informally...every time I go to the mainland i take bags of jars and tins etc We have no bins or collections. And no tipping either.

And no dodgy bonfires at dusk? (like we have in my part of the countryside, unfortunately).

No amount of waste saving is worth the torture that would be proper nappies, it will thankfully never happen. I still hear the older generations of my family talk about the absolute hardship of it to this day.

What torture? hardship? With modern machines and driers? Even back then no hardship

Other countries do it fine.

Given the alternative is burying Ireland in a mass of non biodegradable filthy stinky nappies!

Get up to date please...

https://www.earthmother.ie/cloth-nappies.html

Squatter wrote: »
    And no dodgy bonfires at dusk? (like we have in my part of the countryside, unfortunately).

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

If they go to the providers of waste services, they will be able to find out that way, if everyone is paying their waste bill, then check with the centres to see if they that are not using the door collection services are coming in to use the facilities, I did see someome flinging a black bag out of booth of car a couple yrs ago, and stopped and told them I would report them, and they were not long picking it all up and putting it back in car, told them I would let the licence number of car with co co

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This is a great idea.
    People need to prove where their waste is going.

The next thing there needs to be a clamp down on is the charlatans advertising on Facebook to clear rubbish, they’re just fly tipping it on the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Why would I pay that sort of money for 2 bags of rubbish each month? Instead I load them into the car and dispose of them in one of those big yellow compactor bins they have dotted around petrol stations outside Dublin. Costs me 8 quid for both bags.
    This sounds like a great idea. Does anyone know of something similar inside Dublin? I googled but just found The Big Bin which seems to be Munster-based only, and this list of pay-to-use compactors which is longer but still only seems to be outside Dublin.
    Are there any in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Squatter wrote: »

Of course they do. I've seen it myself while staying with friends on an island near Achill. Their attitude embraces a combination of "we've always done it", "there's no bin service", "what they don't see won't sicken them", and "sure who'd know?"

Nope.

Hmmmmmmm......................... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Jim_bop wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, have they ever or why don't they encourage/force manufacturers and retailers find ways of minimising packaging and move towards biodegradable, e.g., afaik in San Fran water is only sold in glass now as plastic bottles were banned to help with waste reduction. Surely similar programmes could contribute significantly here along with other measures at the customer end that we're discussing here.

You'll hear that the biodegradable or rubbish-free alternative would kill their business and the only way to stop thousands of jobs being lost is to let them continue on the old foot.

Such nonsense forcing people to prove that they're paying to get rid of rubbish. What if people avoid packaging like the plague or get rid of it in the shop's own bins?

The real "problem" this is meant to solve is to stop people from sharing bins which is a huge problem for the big bin collection companies. They would rather everyone pays 3 or 600 a year for a couple of black bags once a month. Definitely Fianna Gael pandering to the business interests again

• Registered Users Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This is great news for the bin companies.
    A few years ago when they were trying to bring similar a sales rep from a bin company called to a elderly relative of mine. This guy is a man who lives alone and generated very little rubbish and bring his rubbish to local dump/landfill a few times a year. The sales rep told him if he didn't sign up to bin collection he'd be passing his name onto the department so he'd be prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dclifford

I think requesting proof of legitimate waste disposal is good. If people that illegally dump currently, has to pay for their waste they are less likely to illegaly dump or fly-tip.
    There is a lot of data that shows how much waste any/every household would produce, on average. So there should be a reasonable minimum requirement that could be set that you need to show proof of.

I am sure there are some other ideal ways to manage waste. Littering and illegal dumping is a huge problem in Ireland and needs to be sorted sooner rather than later.

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

dclifford wrote: »
    I think requesting proof of legitimate waste disposal is good. If people that illegally dump currently, has to pay for their waste they are less likely to illegaly dump or fly-tip.
    There is a lot of data that shows how much waste any/every household would produce, on average. So there should be a reasonable minimum requirement that could be set that you need to show proof of.

I am sure there are some other ideal ways to manage waste. Littering and illegal dumping is a huge problem in Ireland and needs to be sorted sooner rather than later.

What if you don't dump anything and have no requirement for those services? Do you think its acceptable to punish people based on the assumption that it's impossible to do and they must be dumping illegally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dclifford

What if you don't dump anything and have no requirement for those services? Do you think its acceptable to punish people based on the assumption that it's impossible to do and they must be dumping illegally?

If you can prove you dont need a waste service and don't dump anything, then yes, I am sure there could be exceptions made.

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

Advertisement