Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Households To Produce Receipts For Waste Or Face Fines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

I'd like to know the legalities under GDPR of being forced to produce documentation like this. There's bye laws but they only go so far. If you get a receipt for paying your bins in a local post office without your name is that enough.

I can see it being torn apart by an experienced gdpr solicitor

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I live by myself and generally eat in work during the week. As such I generate maybe 1 standard bin bag of rubbish every fortnight.

There's 2 local bin companies, neither of which charge solely per lift. There's a twice annual charge plus lift fee with one or the other works out at about 30 quid a month regardless.

Why would I pay that sort of money for 2 bags of rubbish each month? Instead I load them into the car and dispose of them in one of those big yellow compactor bins they have dotted around petrol stations outside Dublin. Costs me 8 quid for both bags.

I accept that illegal dumping is an issue but I think that's more because of the already extortionate charges by private bin companies.

This latest measure is yet another scam cash extraction by FG in a scenario where each area is controlled by small numbers of bin companies and so can set whatever pricing they like. All under the guise of protecting the environment of course :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

hmmmm...I collect the tiny amount of rubbish my mother generates every week and put it in my bin so she has no bin at all. Her next door neighbours son does it for her also. I'm sure there are plenty like this. I'm sure it won't be a problem though as they will only come looking for proof if there is a good reason to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

sexmag wrote: »
    I'd like to know the legalities under GDPR of being forced to produce documentation like this. There's bye laws but they only go so far. If you get a receipt for paying your bins in a local post office without your name is that enough.

I can see it being torn apart by an experienced gdpr solicitor

You have to produce your own receipts, won’t affect GDPR.

GDPR would only come into play if they were requesting the receipts directly from your bin company etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

GDPR (section 55 DPA 2018) wont offer a whole lot of protection for you in the investigation of offences by authorized data officers.

I think at one stage recently ~20% of the Dublin population were not customers of any refuse service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I live by myself and generally eat in work during the week. As such I generate maybe 1 standard bin bag of rubbish every fortnight.

There's 2 local bin companies, neither of which charge solely per lift. There's a twice annual charge plus lift fee with one or the other works out at about 30 quid a month regardless.

Why would I pay that sort of money for 2 bags of rubbish each month? Instead I load them into the car and dispose of them in one of those big yellow compactor bins they have dotted around petrol stations outside Dublin. Costs me 8 quid for both bags.

I accept that illegal dumping is an issue but I think that's more because of the already extortionate charges by private bin companies.

This latest measure is yet another scam cash extraction by FG in a scenario where each area is controlled by small numbers of bin companies and so can set whatever pricing they like. All under the guise of protecting the environment of course :rolleyes:

Every post of yours is just a dig at FG, very single one!!!

It’s freaky how obsessed you are.

You know FG don’t decide and come up with every measure or rule or idea?

All parties raise issues and call for things to be implemented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Thinly veiled 'we will soon have to put a micro-chip in all your bins' move. Smart cities are the future, you plebian doofuses. Or preferably in your body. You know, just to be sure, to be sure. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Suspicious user name is suspicious in this case :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

They type of people they'll be prosecuting won't pay anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Ludo wrote: »
    hmmmm...I collect the tiny amount of rubbish my mother generates every week and put it in my bin so she has no bin at all. Her next door neighbours son does it for her also. I'm sure there are plenty like this. I'm sure it won't be a problem though as they will only come looking for proof if there is a good reason to.

well this is the issue - are they gona force everyone to sign up to a waste collection company or are they gona look for proof only in certain circumstances? E.g. a complaint about rats or hoarded rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We don't have bins and nor do many deep rural places. At the last place, we bought special bags and left them at set points on set days.

Separate bags for separate things

And used the bottle banks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Graces7 wrote: »
    We don't have bins and nor do many deep rural places. At the last place, we bought special bags and left them at set points on set days.

Separate bags for separate things

And used the bottle banks etc

I'm sure you will get a reciept for the special bags. I know we do in deepest Kerry for our holiday home. No big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'm sure you will get a reciept for the special bags. I know we do in deepest Kerry for our holiday home. No big deal.

And for the bring banks?

Whole idea is ***********

Fine for towns etc where they have collections etc...

Like many here I have almost no waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And every post of yours is defending them Wheelie.. Regular viewers will know that too.

But in this case, FG's love of privitising core services, plus being in power at the moment, plus a budget coming up, and potentially an election in the next few months if reports in the IT yesterday are accurate all feed into this.

It could just be kite flying, but regardless it's another cynical way of extracting still more money from people. That certainly is the FG way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Graces7 wrote: »
    And for the bring banks?

Whole idea is ***********

Fine for towns etc where they have collections etc...

Like many here I have almost no waste.

I know many people who have little to no waster, they recycle most things, use composters and intenionally buy things that they wont have to bin.

I think this will be for mainly for areas where dumping is prominant and only in cases of complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm sorry lads but none of yous must live beside literally any picturesque area in the country where scumbags continually fly tip. It's a weekly occurrence no matter how much it's cleaned some gob****es comes along and throws an old bath out or a solitary TV or the usually garden waste mixed with yesterday's TV dinner wrapping.

If people have to produce receipts then so be it. Everyone produces waste everyone so everyone has traceability that can be receipts or a monthly invoice or like some in here a friendly assistance of parents it's all still traceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I know plenty who sign up by pay by lift and after a few weeks/months just don't bother and bins are never collected. Plus what about all those halting sites and finally, what about the penalties. Fines are only attached if the person is working. If on SW or in receipt of pensions you get a half a day in Mountjoy for non payment.

If they thought this through they could have attached the bin collection to the property tax plus LA tenancy agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The property tax has something like over 97% compliance because it can't be avoided so asking for a receipt of how a household paid for their household waste along with the property tax would work very well.

There are people who sneak their household waste into work to put it in a work skip.

There are many like you. Just keep your receipts and you’re grand.

Instead I load them into the car and dispose of them in one of those big yellow compactor bins they have dotted around petrol stations outside Dublin. Costs me 8 quid for both bags.
    So keep the receipts.

What's the problem?

I see no issue with this whatsoever.

I love how you call this out as a cash grab by FG but provide no indication whatsoever of how the government makes money from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Everything is recyclable these days. Take photos of your bags before each trip to a centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Everything is recyclable these days. Take photos of your bags before each trip to a centre.

Everything isn't. Nappies, certain plastics, ashes, tin foil....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ridiculous decisionas far as i can see the waste companies are desperate to get everyone on a contract which i my case because of the standing charge would double my yearly collection costs because i currently just tag the bin when it goes out , guess ill have to get a receipt for the tags form the shop and stick t in a folder.
    i have bins and they a re collected by a licensed waste contractor , im sure the figures dont take tag sales into account, housholds like mine are asumed not a use a waste collection service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Soft plastic is no longer accepted for recycling here which now makes up 90% of my landfill waste; if you're recycling everything you're either incredibly disciplined when you do the shopping, or contaminating your recycling bin unfortunately.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

We have no bins at home, everything we buy is recyclable and dropped off every 2-3 weeks in the recycling centre in Swords. If we were to get a letter in the door, in return they'd get a photo of the bins we keep in our shed (paper, card, hard plastic, tetra pak, tins, other metals etc).

I can see the point though, fly-tipping and littering are disgusting acts and should be punished severely. They represent a complete lack of civic pride, a selfishness that doesn't belong in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Rhyme wrote: »
    We have no bins at home, everything we buy is recyclable and dropped off every 2-3 weeks in the recycling centre in Swords. If we were to get a letter in the door, in return they'd get a photo of the bins we keep in our shed (paper, card, hard plastic, tetra pak, tins, other metals etc).

I can see the point though, fly-tipping and littering are disgusting acts and should be punished severely. They represent a complete lack of civic pride, a selfishness that doesn't belong in society.

What about food waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Looks simple. You prove you're disposing your waste properly or get fined.
    Long overdue,***** destroying the country with their shoite.

tobsey wrote: »
    What about food waste?
    Food waste you can compost yourself. The LA has the right to inspect your bins and composter to make sure that you're disposing of it correctly.

How can everything you buy be recyclable though Rhyme? I can understand actively avoiding stuff that's not, but sometimes you'll end up with some soft plastic wrapping on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

mariaalice wrote: »
    The property tax has something like over 97% compliance because it can't be avoided so asking for a receipt of how a household paid for their household waste along with the property tax would work very well.

There are people who sneak their household waste into work to put it in a work skip.

You’re forgetting that renters don’t pay property tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

tobsey wrote: »
    What about food waste?

Composter, however, you need two composters to really make it work it is possible to nearly recycle everything you need a fair bit of outdoor space and a couple of bins a huge amount can be brought to a bring center for recycling.

The bottom line though is that it takes work, origination, and time and the vast majority are not going to do that when they can put the bin out for 30/40 euro a month.