Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo vs Kildare [What Mayo should do]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    It could be just in a few weeks when Mayo are put in a similar position! That's of course if they don't get knocked out by an angered Kildare who think Mayo hung them out to dry (that's the line Kildare management will be pushing).

Very true re the first sentence.

Ah well you just can't bate a bit of the auld siege mentality!:D

Whatever fits,all the big bad wolf Mayo's fault.Nothing to do with Feargal McGill and the games administration department in Croke Park.

Not a very credible motivating factor nor a line Cian O Neill was pushing on the six one news yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

golfball37 wrote: »
    I just hope no matter what happens Kildare don’t back down from this. All the criteria has been met that they are entitled to a home fixture. Armagh and Leitrim are playing at home this weekend. Cavans home ground wasn’t available.
    It’s Kildare’s choice to make and they have made it. As an ordinary gaa member I hope they stick to their guns.

Where are the GPA in all of this as well?
    Also I think the rest of the county boards should sign a petition and send it to Croke Park to support the Kildare county board.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

PARlance wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/10-myths-mishaps-and-misconceptions-450392.html

Croke Park crowd

Many had been led to believe that the GAA required a crowd of 30,000 in Croke Park to financially break even on the day but this school of thought was rubbished by the association’s stadium and commercial director Peter McKenna in Michael Moynihan’s GAAconomics.

“That’s an urban myth. It costs between €40,000 and €120,000 to open the stadium and we often open it at a loss. The break-even figure? For the smallest crowd, it would be €30,000 so 10,000 people paying €3 each, or 5,000 paying €6 each would do it.”

fair enough, i was misled. I stand corrected

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

jj72 wrote: »
    Jaysis that's pushing it a bit, How are Mayo implicit in all of this?? If that's what it takes to get motivated against the second best team in the country for the best part of the last decade then its a poor state of affairs

I didn't say Mayo are implicit! A sense of injustice pushes teams, that's a fact. It doesn't matter if it's justified or not, this is the angle that Kildare will be pushing.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Very true re the first sentence.

Ah well you just can't bate a bit of the auld siege mentality!:D

Whatever fits,all the big bad wolf Mayo's fault.Nothing to do with Feargal McGill and the games administration department in Croke Park.

Not a very credible motivating factor nor a line Cian O Neill was pushing on the six one news yesterday.

No, i think they'll use anything, the CCCC, the whole world out to get them and they'll include Mayo in that. Managers use anything in the dressing room that they'll think will give them even a slight edge.

• Advertisement

If it's in Croke Park I'll be putting my money on Kildare and I'll copy my receipt here to prove it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I always knew someone would find a way to implicate Mayo in this and turn it around to be something against Mayo, but I never expected 7 pages of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,292 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No, i think they'll use anything, the CCCC, the whole world out to get them and they'll include Mayo in that. Managers use anything in the dressing room that they'll think will give them even a slight edge.

If Kildare are operating at that basic level of motivation, then they haven't much of a chance.

I'd suspect you have little idea of the modern methods of management and motivation.

I always knew someone would find a way to implicate Mayo in this and turn it around to be something against Mayo, but I never expected 7 pages of it.

Who's implicated Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I actually think it's in Mayo's best interest to back up Kildare on this. Not just because it's the right thing to do but as noted, this could be Mayo in the super 8's or some time down the line, also by backing Kildare you take away their sense of injustice.
    It wont happen Mayo unless Castlebar for some reason is not available. You are not comparing like with like. By your logic most games involving Dublin will be forced to move as many grounds wont have the necessary capacity. Thats not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

I was wondering when it would start too. Saw some Kildare fans on Twitter claiming they wouldn't be backing up Mayo if something similar happens to us. :rolleyes:

Mayo won't and shouldn't make any comment. You have to pick your battles, and ours should be winning the next match, wherever it's held.

blanch152 wrote: »
    If Kildare are operating at that basic level of motivation, then they haven't much of a chance.

I'd suspect you have little idea of the modern methods of management and motivation.

:D I didn't say that they'd just do this! It will be just a small part of their preparation but one that could prove vital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Such bollix, as a Kildare man it has nothing to do with Mayo. And to say they will say Mayo are out to get them as a motivating factor is plain wrong. Kildare have been wronged here by the GAA leadership and thats who the stand off is soley with, not Mayo.

And the most populated part of the county in the North has thousands of Mayo people living there and involved in the GAA. Many of the Kildare players have Mayo family. There is a lot of connection between both counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭SnitchingBubs

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Wonder what the 'Croke Park Residents' think/ wish for? Or are their views completely irrelevant?

Just to answer the above , for myself personally I can't speak for everyone who lives around croke park, but from purely from the point of view that , are these matches are an inconvenience or not to us , I don't particularly mind. The crowd won't be a sell out so not too many extra people around and the fans who aren't in croke park every year bring a nice sense of occasions to the place. I'll probably go to the matches if they go ahead in croker with the weather being so nice.

Saying all that I think Kildare were rightly fecked over.

It wont happen Mayo unless Castlebar for some reason is not available. You are not comparing like with like. By your logic most games involving Dublin will be forced to move as many grounds wont have the necessary capacity. Thats not going to happen.

Would you really be surprised if they were?

After this, the head honchos might think twice of doing something similar this year but there's always a chance.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Such bollix, as a Kildare man it has nothing to do with Mayo. And to say they will say Mayo are out to get them as a motivating factor is plain wrong. Kildare have been wronged here by the GAA leadership and thats who the stand off is soley with, not Mayo.

Maybe they won't but for sure they'll have a sense of grievance. Mayo will be in the firing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

I don't see why any team should have a home advantage at this stage of the championship, just due to the luck of the draw.

That aside, this is Kildare's stance and nothing to do with Mayo.

Croke Park is closer to Kildare than Mayo in any case.

Roscommon made a big deal out of home advantage in the Connaught final and lost.

Get on with the game, neutral turf, equal opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

GG66 wrote: »
    I don't see why any team should have a home advantage at this stage of the championship, just due to the luck of the draw.

Grand so. Everyone plays in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If this happened to be a super 8 game would that mean that kildare would have 3 away games?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

Well it it was Kildare vs Clare,Armagh, Monaghan etc the GAA would have had no issue with the match going ahead in Newbridge. But becasue its Mayo it gets moved.

Of course Myo are implicated even if innocently so.

• Advertisement

Grand so. Everyone plays in Croke Park.

or another neutral ground

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    If this happened to be a super 8 game would that mean that kildare would have 3 away games?

No, it depends on which group they're in but it would be two away, one neutral venue or one away, two neutral venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

GG66 wrote: »
    or another neutral ground

Like Páirc Tailteann or O'Connor Park or O'Moore Park perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Everyone felt the same when Mayo had to play in Limerick against Kerry. Mayo people are still bitching about the injustice today.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭zetorman

If Stephen Rochford is wise he should issue a statement today saying that Mayo have no problem playing in Newbridge. That way he will transfer all the heat back onto the CCC boys. Its a win win situation for him....if the game is Newbridge he will have the goodwill of the whole country with him. If the CCC still insist on Croke Park he would still have that goodwill. Its vital that he speaks out NOW....if he does not the public will just heap the pressure onto Mayo. They will be seen as a big fish availing of a chance to swallow up a little fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

zetorman wrote: »
    If Stephen Rochford is wise he should issue a statement today saying that Mayo have no problem playing in Newbridge. That way he will transfer all the heat back onto the CCC boys. Its a win win situation for him....if the game is Newbridge he will have the goodwill of the whole country with him. If the CCC still insist on Croke Park he would still have that goodwill. Its vital that he speaks out NOW....if he does not the public will just heap the pressure onto Mayo. They will be seen as a big fish availing of a chance to swallow up a little fish.

He should do no such thing. It's not Mayo's problem.

Like Páirc Tailteann or O'Connor Park or O'Moore Park perhaps?

Any of those would provide greater capacity than St Conleth's Park.

In fairness it's a tiny ground and there will be big demand for tickets. It also makes economic sense for the GAA to run two games in Croke park rather than one.

They're moaning about their travel commitments. Longford from Kildare and Croke park from Kildare isn't demanding and Mayo have further to travel.

I've no stake in this, but it seems like a tactic to motivate the players or distract the media. It could backfire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Press conference cancelled. Perhaps they haven't agreed a final position. Said O'Neill was stuck late in work in Cork. I assume Kildare will be training tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

zetorman wrote: »

Cian o neill has already been told to shut up by his own county board as it's a matter for the Kildare county board and HQ officials

Can't believe this thread is still going
    I'm waiting for someone to blame Saint Cillian next ........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Press conference cancelled. Perhaps they haven't agreed a final position. Said O'Neill was stuck late in work in Cork. I assume Kildare will be training tonight?

@paddyward99: I understand that Cian O'Neill's scheduled press conference was not cancelled due to the impending talks between the county board and Croke Park or due to any breakthrough. It is felt that the manager has spoekn enough on the matter and that this is a county board issue

Basically told to shut up and go and do what he is supposed to be doing !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement