Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo vs Kildare [What Mayo should do]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

zetorman wrote: »
    If Stephen Rochford is wise he should issue a statement today saying that Mayo have no problem playing in Newbridge. That way he will transfer all the heat back onto the CCC boys. Its a win win situation for him....if the game is Newbridge he will have the goodwill of the whole country with him. If the CCC still insist on Croke Park he would still have that goodwill. Its vital that he speaks out NOW....if he does not the public will just heap the pressure onto Mayo. They will be seen as a big fish availing of a chance to swallow up a little fish.

If Stephen Rochford is wise, he should concentrate soley on preparing his squad as best he can for a match on Saturday, regardless of where it's played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

GG66 wrote: »
    I don't see why any team should have a home advantage at this stage of the championship, just due to the luck of the draw.

That aside, this is Kildare's stance and nothing to do with Mayo.

Croke Park is closer to Kildare than Mayo in any case.

Roscommon made a big deal out of home advantage in the Connaught final and lost.

Get on with the game, neutral turf, equal opportunity.

They are entitled to home venue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    Would you really be surprised if they were?

After this, the head honchos might think twice of doing something similar this year but there's always a chance.

I'd be astonished, Mc Hale Park is one of the best provincial grounds in terms of capacity, access etc so i cant see there being an issue. Id imagine that the CCCC will introduce some sort of caveat next year that grounds need to be meet some kind of criteria for various types of games similar to what UEFA do in the early qualifying rounds of their tournaments with the smaller clubs involved.

CCCC could categorise matches depending on interest, so say Mayo Kildare would be expected to draw 20,000, that would be a Cat 1 qualifier game and could only be played in a certain category stadium. This all just off the top of my head but one things for sure, i dont think theyll be caught out like this again

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

I'd be astonished, Mc Hale Park is one of the best provincial grounds in terms of capacity, access etc so i cant see there being an issue. Id imagine that the CCCC will introduce some sort of caveat next year that grounds need to be meet some kind of criteria for various types of games similar to what UEFA do in the early qualifying rounds of their tournaments with the smaller clubs involved.

CCCC could categorise matches depending on interest, so say Mayo Kildare would be expected to draw 20,000, that would be a Cat 1 qualifier game and could only be played in a certain category stadium. This all just off the top of my head but one things for sure, i dont think theyll be caught out like this again

I think people in Laois were saying the same when their game was moved to Nowlan Park a few years ago!

zetorman wrote: »
    If Stephen Rochford is wise he should issue a statement today saying that Mayo have no problem playing in Newbridge. That way he will transfer all the heat back onto the CCC boys. Its a win win situation for him....if the game is Newbridge he will have the goodwill of the whole country with him. If the CCC still insist on Croke Park he would still have that goodwill. Its vital that he speaks out NOW....if he does not the public will just heap the pressure onto Mayo. They will be seen as a big fish availing of a chance to swallow up a little fish.

:pac: he should do no such thing, he has a team to prepare for a big game, that should be his sole focus and if anyone was to make a statement it would be the Co Board, not the manager. Why would the public heap pressure on Mayo, its not of our doing, we have no issue with playing in Newbridge but rightly or wrongly cccc have said its a H & S matter, so if thats their line then Mayo's opinion is irrelevant

• Advertisement

I think people in Laois were saying the same when their game was moved to Nowlan Park a few years ago!

Well that certainly was a strange one, what were the reasons given at the time?

I don't see why any team should have a home advantage at this stage of the championship, just due to the luck of the draw.

That aside, this is Kildare's stance and nothing to do with Mayo.

Croke Park is closer to Kildare than Mayo in any case.

Roscommon made a big deal out of home advantage in the Connaught final and lost.

Get on with the game, neutral turf, equal opportunity.

Eh because its in the rules. personally id prefer to see more home games rather neutral venues, creates a big buzz and better atmospheres

• Registered Users Posts: 17 HogofHedges

Up Mayo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Groot

I am Groot!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

Any of those would provide greater capacity than St Conleth's Park.

In fairness it's a tiny ground and there will be big demand for tickets. It also makes economic sense for the GAA to run two games in Croke park rather than one.

They're moaning about their travel commitments. Longford from Kildare and Croke park from Kildare isn't demanding and Mayo have further to travel.

I've no stake in this, but it seems like a tactic to motivate the players or distract the media. It could backfire

Ur answer is pointless the rule states first team out home draw. And ur other answers about Croke Park making more sense ur answer is all about the money and keeping sky if that’s ur stance.
    The fact is they were drawn first so they have home advantage the gaa wrote the rules so go figure. No team in the lad would just give up home advantage don’t be silly

• Advertisement

Well that certainly was a strange one, what were the reasons given at the time?

It was something about season ticket holders getting a seat or something. How many seats are in Mchale Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Kalyke

km79 wrote: »
    @paddyward99: I understand that Cian O'Neill's scheduled press conference was not cancelled due to the impending talks between the county board and Croke Park or due to any breakthrough. It is felt that the manager has spoekn enough on the matter and that this is a county board issue

Basically told to shut up and go and do what he is supposed to be doing !
    And yet people are calling on Rochford to comment??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It was something about season ticket holders getting a seat or something. How many seats are in Mchale Park?

28,000 to 31,000 depending on who you ask.

The only all seater in the GAA.

Mind you only about 13,000 are actual seats, the rest are concerete benches.

The only all seater in the GAA.

Mind you only about 13,000 are actual seats, the rest are concerete benches.

It'll be hard for them to wriggle out of that one so. I think you'll be safe, unless they say that they need to look after fans who like to stand during matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    And what happens if Mayo draw Dublin in a home tie in the Super 8s on July 22nd?
    Is Castlebar a big enough venue on "Health and Safety Grounds"?
    Would Mayo move that game to Croke Park?

Won't be on health and safety grounds, it will be for "The Common Good". If the GAA think they can sell 60K tickets to a game, there isn't a hope they'll play it in a 30K stadium.

You can bet your life they'd move that game to Croke Park. It turns out that where the GAA said games will be played, is, well optional if they say so.

If we have learned one thing from this fiasco, it's that the course of action will always be to maximise revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Wrong again.

Nowlan Park was down as the venue for whoever won between Laois and Wicklow versus Dublin.

There was never any suggestion that the match would have been in Portlaoise.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Wrong again.

Nowlan Park was down as the venue for whoever won between Laois and Wicklow versus Dublin.

There was never any suggestion that the match would have been in Portlaoise.

Why was it fixed for Nowlan Park? Didn't they put it there because it had more seats?

Jaden wrote: »
    Won't be on health and safety grounds, it will be for "The Common Good". If the GAA think they can sell 60K tickets to a game, there isn't a hope they'll play it in a 30K stadium.

You can bet your life they'd move that game to Croke Park. It turns out that where the GAA said games will be played, is, well optional if they say so.

If we have learned one thing from this fiasco, it's that the course of action will always be to maximise revenue.

There isnt a hope it would be moved to CP. It would make a mockery of the whole thing. The Newbridge mess is not about money, or having games in CP

There isnt a hope it would be moved to CP. It would make a mockery of the whole thing. The Newbridge mess is not about money, or having games in CP

:eek: Are you joking?

:eek: Are you joking?

No

• Advertisement

No

It's always about money!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Mayo should and will go where they are told by the GAA CCCC, currently Croke Park and there will be no sense of lacking solidarity with Kildare, as its not really their fight. (GPA decisions may affect this too)

Kildare on the other hand are absolutely in the right and should this end up in a doomsday scenario, they should go to Court to vindicate that right, even if it means holding up the Super 8's.

The Association execs serve at the will of the membership and have played a la carte with their own rules for too long. If it means a rule change in future that home advantage comes with a caveat of minimum capacity at certain stages of the championship, then so be it and it will be democratically decided. For now, rules is rules is rules. Up Kildare!

It's always about money!

Well im not going to argue the toss on this, thats your opinion.

Well im not going to argue the toss on this, thats your opinion.

I think you're on your own on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

km79 wrote: »
    I'm waiting for someone to blame Saint Cillian next ........

Ah sure Cillo was an awful hoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Ah sure Cillo was an awful hoor.

He relinquished his season ticket a number of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TommyDe

FuzzyFrog wrote:
    It's not of your making, you are right. Today it's not Mayo that are on the receiving end of this bull**** but it could be at some stage in the future. It's something that affects all counties, it's just Kildare's turn today. Mayo as fellow players should make a stand.

right.
    and Dublin kerry, Galway, Donegal players should also make a stand in solidarity with mayo and kildare after they've been booted out.
    as you said it's not just one teams issue.

so change the title to: What do mayo/ Dublin/ Kerry/Galway/Donegal et al need to do ........

I think you're on your own on this one.

Fair enough but i honestly think it is to accommodate the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭howiya

Fair enough but i honestly think it is to accommodate the crowd.

And effectively that is what Ned Quinn was saying this morning on OTB. Matches shouldn't be played in stadiums with a smaller capacity than the number of people who may or may not want to buy tickets. Lets move all games to Croke Park just in case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Why was it fixed for Nowlan Park? Didn't they put it there because it had more seats?

I don't think it does have more seats. Why would that make a difference. there are less than 5.000 Dublin season ticket and PP stand passes. Most are terrace.

Leinster games are regularly fixed for neutral venues. Dublin hurlers have played majority of games in last 20 years either away or at neutral venues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement