Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo vs Kildare [What Mayo should do]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Yep, Kerry losing late to Dublin in the 2013 and 2016 semi finals is better than Mayo beating Dublin in the 2012 SF or drawing with them in the 2015 SF.

I'd advise people to be careful of injury on this thread, there is a poster busy moving goal posts.

No, 4 finals and 2 AI wins in the last decade (a decade is 10 years) is better than 4 finals and no wins. They've been better on every metric, provincial, league, All Ireland's, overall win/loss record. Anyway I'll move on because apparently I've anti Mayo bias due to not subscribing to self annoited praise that has nothing to back it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    It's a strange kind of support I've been seeing. Justifying why it's been moved, questioning Kildares past record, questioning why they'd take it to the high court.

And Kerry and Mayo have played 4 times this decade. Drawn once, Kerry have beaten Mayo twice.

they have drawn TWICE..And you missed the one where Mayo Won. But sure just use whatever stats that suit yourself

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

jj72 wrote: »
    they have drawn TWICE..And you missed the one where Mayo Won. But sure just use whatever stats that suit yourself

Oh so two draws, two wins for Kerry and one win for Mayo. One All Ireland for Kerry this decade, Mayo have none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

naughtb4 wrote: »
    It wont come to that

It's coming to that very quickly

threeball wrote: »
    It's coming to that very quickly
    If this doesn't get sorted today surely its not going ahead. Not fair on supporters but mainly the players at this stage. Interesting day ahead me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

How are we letting ourselves down? Every single one of us Supports what Kildare are doing? What else do you want from us??

I don't agree with you that every single Mayo person supports what Kildare are doing. I've read stuff from Mayo people where they felt fit to mention the likes of Kildangan Stub etc for the state of out county grounds.

Either way this is not Mayo's fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

I think the latter, if Kildare decide to play in CP then Mayo people will buy tickets late, other than that I think there will be very few Mayo people there.

Must be a right pain for the Cavan and Tyrone crowd after Cavan already nominating Brewster Park.

I thought so. So 10 to 15k in croker for Cavan tyrone and a smattering of mayo fans. Sky will be delighted with having to broadcast that.

More health and safety issues with cases of depression than any concerns that would have arisen in Newbridge.

The cccc made a right dick of this.

largepants wrote: »
    I don't agree with you that every single Mayo person supports what Kildare are doing. I've read stuff from Mayo people where they felt fit to mention the likes of Kildangan Stub etc for the state of out county grounds.

Either way this is not Mayo's fight.

I'm yet to meet anyone, Mayo or not Mayo that doesn't support Kildare in this. Taking the mick outta Conleths doesn't mean they don't support ye. Just means they need a bit of cop on!..... and anyway, whats wrong with Kildangan? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thread Title - I thought the draw was Kildare vs Mayo ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,255 ✭✭✭✭km79

The obsession is strong
    Up mayo
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's a strange kind of support I've been seeing. Justifying why it's been moved, questioning Kildares past record, questioning why they'd take it to the high court.

And Kerry and Mayo have played 4 times this decade. Drawn once, Kerry have beaten Mayo twice.

I think Kildare are right to be pissed off that they are not getting a home game.

But the following must be considered.

1. They know their ground is an issue
    2. They know Longford had a game v Kildare moved to capacity issues (Longford were able to host Carlow in the previous round), so it was nothing new.
    3. They know the CCCC have final say.
    4. They were given the opportunity to nominate an alternative.

Now CP is a big boost for Mayo, but CP could have been avoided if they had nominated an alternative themselves.

They'd want to get it sorted very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭FuzzyFrog

I always knew someone would find a way to implicate Mayo in this and turn it around to be something against Mayo, but I never expected 7 pages of it.

lol, apologies. If it was another team I'd have posted similar. Mayo for Sam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Brusna

I'm yet to meet anyone, Mayo or not Mayo that doesn't support Kildare in this. Taking the mick outta Conleths doesn't mean they don't support ye. Just means they need a bit of cop on!..... and anyway, whats wrong with Kildangan? :p

I’m a Mayo supporter and I don’t support Kildare on this. I did initially but but when I got the facts I changed my mind.

This is our game too and an estimated 10,000 of us want to see our team play our round 3 qualifier as do an estimated 8,000 Kildare fans if the game is played in Newbridge.

With this stance the Kildare county board are essentially saying is half of ye can come and the rest of ye can’t.

In my opinion at this stage of the Championship all supporters should be accommodated in a suitable venue.

I think Kildare are right to be pissed off that they are not getting a home game.

But the following must be considered.

1. They know their ground is an issue
    2. They know Longford had a game v Kildare moved to capacity issues (Longford were able to host Carlow in the previous round), so it was nothing new.
    3. They know the CCCC have final say.
    4. They were given the opportunity to nominate an alternative.

Now CP is a big boost for Mayo, but CP could have been avoided if they had nominated an alternative themselves.

They'd want to get it sorted very soon.

That's not very supportive is it? I thought all Mayo fans were backing up Kildare?

They were drawn at home so should be playing at home. That's the bottom line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Brusna wrote: »
    I’m a Mayo supporter and I don’t support Kildare on this. I did initially but but when I got the facts I changed my mind.

This is our game too and an estimated 10,000 of us want to see our team play our round 3 qualifier as do an estimated 8,000 Kildare fans if the game is played in Newbridge.

With this stance the Kildare county board are essentially saying is half of ye can come and the rest of ye can’t.

In my opinion at this stage of the Championship all supporters should be accommodated in a suitable venue.

Why should Kildare have to give up a home game they're entitled to, to accommodate other fans?
    They were first out of the hat, they've earned the right to host this game, regardless of who it's against

Its greed by the GAA, and its about time someone stood up to them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I don't see how this game can go ahead anywhere but Croke Park if its played on Saturday. Even if a decision to play it in Newbridge was made this afternoon, could all the arrangements be made in time - e.g. tickets on sale tomorrow, gardai organised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

They have been more consistent than Kerry over this decade.

Kerry have got to three finals, Mayo to four.
    Mayo have been to more SFs this decade than Kerry.
    Mayo have beaten Dublin in the championship, Kerry have not.

Remember Kerry won their 2014 All Ireland without having to meet Dublin, something Mayo have not had the good fortune to have.

Is that enough for you ?

Also on the 3 points you have above.
    1. Kerry have been to 4 finals also.
    2. Kerry have actually been to more semi finals than Mayo in the past 10 years. 8 vs 7
    3. Kerry beat Dublin in the championship also in the past 10 years

Kerry beat Mayo that year. If Mayo had won they would have also had the good fortune of not having to play Dublin.

Almost everything you said is untrue.

kiers47 wrote: »
    Also on the 3 points you have above.
    1. Kerry have been to 4 finals also.
    2. Kerry have actually been to more semi finals than Mayo in the past 10 years. 8 vs 7
    3. Kerry beat Dublin in the championship also in the past 10 years

Kerry beat Mayo that year. If Mayo had won they would have also had the good fortune of not having to play Dublin.

Almost everything you said is untrue.

You might want to read the first line of his post again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

I think the easiest way of settling that argument is that Kerry were ahead of Mayo for the decade up until 2015 & have been passed out by them since then

You obviously haven't see reservoir dubs so!!

There was more to the post I mentioned. That was only part of it.

Nothing wrong with Kildangan but the post from the Mayo person suggested the owner should be investing in Kildare GAA. Maybe he could provide the manure from the stables for fertilising. I know I'm after leaving myself wide open here after mentioning manure.:)

• Advertisement

Barlett wrote: »
    I think the easiest way of settling that argument is that Kerry were ahead of Mayo for the decade up until 2015 & have been passed out by them since then

It's a bit of a silly argument but you can't claim to be 2nd best if you've never won an All Ireland in my opinion. And in the one Kerry did win, they beat Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Warning

This thread is for discussion of the topic:

Mayo vs Kildare (What should Mayo do?).

Somehow it has managed to morph into a discussion on the respective records of Mayo and Kerry this decade.

Please keep discussion on topic.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,966 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't see how this game can go ahead anywhere but Croke Park if its played on Saturday. Even if a decision to play it in Newbridge was made this afternoon, could all the arrangements be made in time - e.g. tickets on sale tomorrow, gardai organised?

I don't see how it can go ahead in Croke Park with Kildare definitely not turning and any Mayo player who is part a member GPA shouldn't be there either as they are fully behind Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

km79 wrote: »
    As for the first bit.....As a supporter of Dublin you stand with Kildare fully as they are entitled to hone advantage .......how many times have you stood in Conleth Park for a championship match away to Kildare ?
    I'd wager zero
    Why?
    The "greed" of Kildare county board maybe ???!

Why would you wager zero? I was 1 of the lucky supporters to get a ticket to the All Ireland Final, many didn't but not everyone can be accommodated.

Why what?

I wouldn't call Kildare greedy for standing by the rules. This could get tied up on appeal and get very messy. Maybe a rule where a suitable venue should be allocated after a draw will be looked at now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

That's not very supportive is it? I thought all Mayo fans were backing up Kildare?

They were drawn at home so should be playing at home. That's the bottom line.

The bottom line is that Newbridge can't cope with the influx of traffic on the day
    and to be fair to all concerned it should be played at a larger venue.

The bottom line is that Newbridge can't cope with the influx of traffic on the day

How could it could with Tyrone a few years ago?

According to the Kildare statement the guards are fine with it, and surely that's something they would take into consideration

If Mayo get Dublin's group in the super 8's, they'll have to accept having their game moved to Croke Park, that's going by that reasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Its a Kildare home game so their should be an imbalance in support. Thats part of the advantage along with familiarity of the pitch. If the game was drawn with Mayo being at home it would be the same but in their favour.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Why should Kildare have to give up a home game they're entitled to, to accommodate other fans?
    They were first out of the hat, they've earned the right to host this game, regardless of who it's against

I didn’t say other fans, I said all fans. Half the Kildare supporters won’t get in either.

You say it’s greed by the GAA which is your opinion but it’s my opinion that the cccc are trying to accommodate the fans.

• Advertisement

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Its a Kildare home game so their should be an imbalance in support. Thats part of the advantage along with familiarity of the pitch. If the game was drawn with Mayo being at home it would be the same but in their favour.

Yes but the Kildare supporters are just as much a part of Kildare GAA as the the team it’s the supporters that are being shafted by playing in Newbridge.

I didn’t say other fans, I said all fans. Half the Kildare supporters won’t get in either.

You say it’s greed by the GAA which is your opinion but it’s my opinion that the cccc are trying to accommodate the fans.

great, so it's luck of the draw.. like 99% of events,
    sure we should just put every event that sells out here in croke park because its so big and more people will want to go

Kildare have earned a home draw, they have a stadium they can use. therefore the game should be in Kildare.

It's a dangerous road to go down to say that for every senior intercounty football game, a stadium has to be used which fulfils the maximum possible expected crown. For example, I'm firmly against the idea that Dublin should play every game, regardless of opposition, in Croke Park, which is what this ultimately means. It's not fair on the fans who supposedly benefit from it, either. It was a great day out in Thurles last weekend, and many were looking forward to something similar this weekend. It's a great part of the championship, which will get diluted. I went to Laois v Dublin in Kilkenny a couple of years back, and there was a lot of bitterness among Laois people that it wasn't held in O'Moore Park.

Supply and demand is part of life; if it means Dublin or Mayo have to limit their fan base, so be it. Make it fair, allocate the tickets to the clubs before general sale, and make sure regular match goers get taken care of.

I say this as a Mayo fan living in Dublin, not affiliated to any club, who goes to as many matches as I can regardless of where they are played. Croke Park would be more convenient for me this weekend, but its the wrong thing to do in my opinion.

So would Mayo fans agree to have their game with Dublin moved to Croke Park if they got through and ended up in Dublin's group in the super 8's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Why is there an entitlement to see the game?

There wasn't a capacity issue for the league game. Its not up to Kildare to accomodate championship only fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭mobby

Had a look at Tickets.ie to see if they are still selling tickets got this
    "There are no tickets available at this time. Please check later."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I actually think the GPA should not be taking a stance on this at all. They claim to speak for all players. If they have a stance, it should be that the GAA should not have done what they did, and call for a mutually acceptable resolution - full stop.

Supporting Kildare players, I thought, would intrinsically alienate the Mayo panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

mobby wrote: »
    Had a look at Tickets.ie to see if they are still selling tickets got this
    "There are no tickets available at this time. Please check later."

Pending announcement of game rightfully switched to Newbridge my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

So would Mayo fans agree to have their game with Dublin moved to Croke Park if they got through and ended up in Dublin's group in the super 8's?

Anyone who follows Mayo GAA would know that Mayo fans would actually give that some serious consideration. I would certainly prefer to play the Dubs (and many other teams) in Croke Park over McHale Park.

For those that don't follow Mayo GAA: we're fairly woeful at home.

I would much prefer all Super 8 games to be played in Croke Park... and given this week's events, that may become a reality.

All that said, I'm fully behind Kildare wanting to play this in Newbridge.

As for what Mayo should do. Nothing, just prepare for a game next Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Why is there an entitlement to see the game?

There wasn't a capacity issue for the league game. Its not up to Kildare to accomodate championship only fans

Probably not a popular opinion and admit I've a vested interest but although it's is clearly stipulated in the terms and conditions that there is no guarantee of a ticket.

I firmly believe season ticket holders who travel to games all year round should be accommodated.

Newbridge was fit to hold all comers including our four thousand odd season ticket holders for the league game earlier this year.

As I readily admit quite possibly not a popular opinion.I'm ready to be shot down.:)

PARlance wrote: »
    Anyone that follows Mayo GAA would know that Mayo fans would actually give that some serious consideration. I would certainly prefer to play the Dubs (and many other teams) in Croke Park over McHale Park.

For those that don't follow Mayo GAA: we're fairly woeful at home.

I would much prefer all Super 8 games to be played in Croke Park... given this week's events. That may become a reality.

All that said, I'm fully behind Kildare wanting to play this in Newbridge.

As for what Mayo should do. Nothing, just prepare for a game next Saturday.

But then it's all counties. Dublin will never play away from Croke Park. Any county with a ground less than 15,000 won't have a home game in the super 8's.
    If all games are moved to Croke Park, imagine the expense for supporters of a county that has a good year. 3 super 8 games, All Ireland semi and final. 5 weeks travelling to Dublin after their provincial games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

If Mayo want to qualify based on Merit, They should turn up a Newbridge.

If Mayo want to qualify via a walk over then turn up to Croke Park.

Its up to Mayo really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Vast majority of Mayo fans ive seen here and on Twitter seem to be supportive of Kildare and think they deserve the home game. Somewhat different over on the main Mayo forum interestingly. Owner of the site is blaming Kildare strongly and thinks they don't deserve it at home, while there's some comments suggesting Mayo should say nothing publicly but push for Croker privately. Majority probably supporting Kildare however

Its up to Mayo really.

if they turn up to newbridge they get kicked out so they wont qualify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

Its up to Mayo really.

Mayo just want to play football and not get embroiled in the mess

• Advertisement

if they turn up to newbridge they get kicked out so they wont qualify?

The gaa won't kick out both teams at all if Mayo show up at newbridge

Of course they will. Where do you think the referee will be? If they kick Kildare out for not fulfilling the fixture then they will do the same for Mayo.

There would be no officials present to recognise the game. Neither team would be ready to play in the following weeks tie. How do you think that would get resolved?

Or do refs and umpires get in on the solidarity act, and turn up unbeknownst to HQ too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

While I support Kildare's stance, it would be completely daft if Mayo showed up in Newbridge, mainly because while we would get great credit for doing it, when the day comes when we're in need I can't see the same sort of support being returned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

But then it's all counties. Dublin will never play away from Croke Park. Any county with a ground less than 15,000 won't have a home game in the super 8's.
    If all games are moved to Croke Park, imagine the expense for supporters of a county that has a good year. 3 super 8 games, All Ireland semi and final. 5 weeks travelling to Dublin after their provincial games!

Most Mayo fans don't need to imagine that. Thousands upon thousands were in Croke Park 5 times last year. I'm also just speaking as a Mayo fan when saying that we prefer playing in Croke Park (addressing your original question).
    I'm not pushing for all Super 8s to be played in Croke Park but it may be on the cards after this week's shambles. Either that or they will have to set out clear guidelines. I don't think it will be fair to force any Super 8 team to concede home advantage in the current structure. That will need to be addressed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement