Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo vs Kildare [What Mayo should do]

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I don't think it does have more seats. Why would that make a difference. there are less than 5.000 Dublin season ticket and PP stand passes. Most are terrace.

Leinster games are regularly fixed for neutral venues. Dublin hurlers have played majority of games in last 20 years either away or at neutral venues.

Nowlan Park has 17,000 seats, O'Moore Park has 6,000. That's why it was put there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭howiya

I don't think it does have more seats. Why would that make a difference. there are less than 5.000 Dublin season ticket and PP stand passes. Most are terrace.

Leinster games are regularly fixed for neutral venues. Dublin hurlers have played majority of games in last 20 years either away or at neutral venues.

Leinster for whatever reason doesn't seem to have the home and away agreements that counties in other provinces have had for years. Only very recently Dublin and Wexford went home and away for the hurling. Used to be common enough to play them in Nowlan Park. Obviously the new format makes that agreement obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Fair enough but i honestly think it is to accommodate the crowd.

I would tend to agree with you.

Some people have a fixation with money and the GAA.

They need to realise that there are sometimes other considerations like getting as many people as possible to see and play the national games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

What an odd thread this is.

How anyone can interpret this whole mess into anything negative regarding Mayo is crazy.

Mayo's only crime here was being randomly drawn to play against Kildare. Absolutely nothing else. Even Cian O'Neill said as much in his interview with Six One yesterday.

I don't hear anyone from Mayo complaining that we were down to play against Kildare at 7pm in Croke Park. Supporters travelling to the game would be damn lucky to be back in Mayo at 1am and that's coming off two away trips in three weeks in Limerick and Tipperary - where we took the guts of nearly twenty thousand supporters to both games.

We would gladly have went to Newbridge on Saturday as it would have been far handier for us, the decision to move it to Croke Park was the GAA's doing. Now some people from other counties are on their soap box pontificating that we should be doing more? What's your county doing about it lads? This is Kildare's fight. It's not our fault Newbridge wasn't deemed fit for purpose (right or wrong). Honestly, the Mayo players and management deserve better than this too, let them get on with preparing for Saturday and we'll see what comes of this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭golfball37

blanch152 wrote: »

They need to realise that there are sometimes other considerations like getting as many people as possible to see and play the national games.

All well and good except the tickets for Croke Park fixture are 25e. Why not price them the same as they would be in Newbridge if that’s the motivation? They might even get more people!

• Advertisement

golfball37 wrote: »
    All well and good except the tickets for Croke Park fixture are 25e. Why not price them the same as they would be in Newbridge if that’s the motivation? They might even get more people!

Why would they be cheaper in Newbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

What an odd thread this is.

How anyone can interpret this whole mess into anything negative regarding Mayo is crazy.

Mayo's only crime here was being randomly drawn to play against Kildare. Absolutely nothing else. Even Cian O'Neill said as much in his interview with Six One yesterday.

I don't hear anyone from Mayo complaining that we were down to play against Kildare at 7pm in Croke Park. Supporters travelling to the game would be damn lucky to be back in Mayo at 1am and that's coming off two away trips in three weeks in Limerick and Tipperary - where we took the guts of nearly twenty thousand supporters to both games.

We would gladly have went to Newbridge on Saturday as it would have been far handier for us, the decision to move it to Croke Park was the GAA's doing. Now some people from other counties are on their soap box pontificating that we should be doing more? What's your county doing about it lads? This is Kildare's fight. It's not our fault Newbridge wasn't deemed fit for purpose (right or wrong). Honestly, the Mayo players and management deserve better than this too, let them get on with preparing for Saturday and we'll see what comes of this mess.

As a kildare man I couldn’t agree more with you ... it’s kildares fight. I really can’t see the reasoning behind people slating mayo county board or team.. they have said they are happy with both venues and are training for both...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Bull of course it's about money to the GAA. They announced the double header and had it written down regardless if Kildare had nominated another place. It has nothing to do with people to see and play the game. If that was the case then any county with a stadium under x amount will never get a game be told tough s$%t we need people to see the game.

The GAA said it would be home for the first team an the pitch had been signed off for health and safety.

As for the statement by the GAA today it was they though there be animosity between fan give me a break what horse manure. Of course they had to quickly follow it up by saying we don't mean there will be trouble just animosity. Normally I hate when people use the Grab All Association but to me they have earned it today.

Roscommon burned them in Connaught by saying the final would be in Roscommon when it became obvious the GAA wanted it moved and they were making sure it would not happen again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭howiya

Tickets for the other qualifiers not in Croke Park this weekend are only €20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭golfball37

Ask Croke Park? I’m a gaa member and home qualifier games for Clare footballers are 20e, same price in Newbridge. That’s what Carrick on Shannon will be too this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,872 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

We were on the receiving end a few years ago when we had to go to Limerick, i certainly didnt expect Kerry to come out on our side then.

Re this exact situation, it's Kildare's fault for not having a bigger ground, if they had there wouldnt be an issueand wont be an issue in future for counties with appropriate grounds, its kinda simple really and fwiw im on Kildare's side in this

Aren`t all counties supposedly equal when it comes to GAA competitions rather than being graded on venue size as decided by Croke Park ?

There has been far too much of this palaver from Croke Park dressed up as a health and safety issue for quite some time now, when the real reason is nothing to do with anything other than revenue.
    The Connacht Council even tried getting in on the act over Hyde Park for their recent provincial final before being told by Roscommon where they could shove it.

howiya wrote: »
    Tickets for the other qualifiers not in Croke Park this weekend are only €20
    golfball37 wrote: »
    Ask Croke Park? I’m a gaa member and home qualifier games for Clare footballers are 20e, same price in Newbridge. That’s what Carrick on Shannon will be too this weekend

Fair enough, assume they are all stand tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Bull of course it's about money to the GAA. They announced the double header and had it written down regardless if Kildare had nominated another place. It has nothing to do with people to see and play the game. If that was the case then any county with a stadium under x amount will never get a game be told tough s$%t we need people to see the game.

Simply not true, they asked Kildare to nominate a another venue and Kildare declined.

Roscommon burned them in Connaught by saying the final would be in Roscommon when it became obvious the GAA wanted it moved and they were making sure it would not happen again

there was never any serious moves to take the connacht final out of the Hyde/ Mac Stay was grandstanding on the back of some speculation

Simply not true, they asked Kildare to nominate a another venue and Kildare declined.

there was never any serious moves to take the connacht final out of the Hyde/ Mac Stay was grandstanding on the back of some speculation

I guarantee you they would have come up with something if they had nominated somewhere. They had this double header all thought out. Sky are coming it wil be lovely and all that. Not blaming Sky for any of this

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

I guarantee you they would have come up with something if they had nominated somewhere. They had this double header all thought out. Sky are coming it wil be lovely and all that. Not blaming Sky for any of this

As posted above simply not true
    Read
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/gaa-insists-kildare-will-forfeit-mayo-qualifier-if-they-don-t-play-at-croke-park-1.3543393?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Mayo wouldn't have the balls to turn up in Newbridge anyway.......yes men.

That's a ridiculous statement in fairness. If game is in Newbridge then Mayo will turn up.

But you can't seriously expect the second best team in the country to commit hari kari by going to Newbridge if the game is still set for Croke Park.

Cian O'Neill has already stressed that this is none of Mayo's making and that they are only accidental extras to the whole scenario.

It is a bit like the Cork and Limerick hurling strikes - although Kildare have a much stronger moral position in my view - when some Cork and Limerick people were attacking other Division One teams for not refusing to fulfil their fixtures against them.

The world does not work like that.

That's a ridiculous statement in fairness. If game is in Newbridge then Mayo will turn up.

But you can't seriously expect the second best team in the country to commit hari kari by going to Newbridge if the game is still set for Croke Park.

Cian O'Neill has already stressed that this is none of Mayo's making and that they are only accidental extras to the whole scenario.

It is a bit like the Cork and Limerick hurling strikes - although Kildare have a much stronger moral position in my view - when some Cork and Limerick people were attacking other Division One teams for not refusing to fulfil their fixtures against them.

I hope it’s in Newbridge now and we win as expected anyway

Set new precedents
    Pure martyrs
    Until the next “Home” Leinster game against Dublin of course
    Money ......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,160 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Mayo should play in Newbridge, it the nearest they will get to silverware this year.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Giggling-Laughing-At-You-Behind-Your-Back.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

km79 wrote: »
    Should have read his post history before going to the effort of typing that

I hope it’s in Newbridge now and we win as expected anyway

Set new precedents
    Pure martyrs
    Money ......

As a supporter of Dublin i stand with Kildare on this fully, it would send a very strong message to the greed that is the GAA, safety me arse, a big payday funded by sky. Kildare are entitled to their home advantage...reads the rules.

In response to your other smart alec comment i'm 35 and retired 3 years, 35-3=32.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

It would send a very strong message if they did, they're hardly going to kick both teams out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mayo should play in Newbridge, it the nearest they will get to silverware this year.

Sorry that's yesterdays joke, come up with something original

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Yawn.

Come did you even read that. They wanted more bums on seats for money and are coming up with health and safety. Here is an example all be it a different sport.

Liverpool are in the draw for the FA cup first team out get home advantage Liverpool are drawn second to a league 2 team with small capacity can you guess what happens here is a hint first team out get to play at home regardless of capacity.

This is what SHOULD happen here but the GAA want more bums which means more money and a nicer stadium for SKY and to make it sound good they use the buzz words Health and Safety to stop argument. I can smell the manure from hete

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

It would send a very strong message if they did, they're hardly going to kick both teams out.

Oh, they would indeed!

Am also Dub and also fully sympathetic to Kildare's case. GAA clearly in breach of their own criteria for home and away games in qualifiers up to round 3.

However, do you seriously imagine that Dublin or Kerry or Tyrone would send the team bus to Newbridge for unofficial fixture and risk being thrown out of championship? Any more than Mayo will if situation arises.

Seems to be indications that CP might back down, but all based on rumours tonight. Fault is fully with Croke Park and no fault of either of the counties involved.

It is good to see them being caught out in their juggling of multiple corporate concerns, but only losers at end of the day if Kildare boycott the game will be Kildare, GAA will ship some flak but few will remember it in 2/3 weeks time.

As a supporter of Dublin i stand with Kildare on this fully, it would send a very strong message to the greed that is the GAA, safety me arse, a big payday funded by sky. Kildare are entitled to their home advantage...reads the rules.

In response to your other smart alec comment i'm 35 and retired 3 years, 35-3=32....i can't help it if you can't grasp basic maths.

As for the first bit.....As a supporter of Dublin you stand with Kildare fully as they are entitled to hone advantage .......how many times have you stood in Conleth Park for a championship match away to Kildare ?
    I'd wager zero
    Why?
    The "greed" of Kildare county board maybe ???!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Set new precedents
    Pure martyrs
    Money ......

Do Leinster semi finals or finals even have a home draw to decide where they're played? Pretty sure they don't but feel free to correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lillielad

When we had to play those "home" games to Dublin, we were in serious trouble financially and Croke Park were signing off our checks and we had to do it..This is totally different and is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,160 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

but only losers at end of the day if Kildare boycott the game will be Kildare, GAA will ship some flak but few will remember it in 2/3 weeks time.

The whole country could still be talking about it . If the games administrator give a walkover Kildare will appeal it. there are three appeal stages. But even if they lose all them they could take it to the high court and get an injunction to hold up the Super 8's. The fallout for this will roll on I think if Mayo are given a walkover.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The whole country could still be talking about it . If the games administrator give a walkover Kildare will appeal it. there are three appeal stages. But even if they lose all them they could take it to the high court and get an injunction to hold up the Super 8's. The fallout for this will roll on I think if Mayo are given a walkover.

And the value of all that would be what exactly ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement