Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo vs Kildare [What Mayo should do]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

PARlance wrote: »
    Couldn't be more informed. Seeing that Cavan couldn't play at home, I wouldn't say they offered them an alternative venue. They had to find an alternative venue.

But they did offer Cavan an alternative venue and they picked one, im really not sure what you're getting at

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Sounds like Mayo are going to publically come out in support of Kildare.....

I doubt it.

Link??

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭largepants

Since when was Kildare a tier one county?
    They are division two county at best. They failed to win a single point in division one :confused:

It is the whole reason why the GAA are trying to move the game from Newbridge because they expect so called 'weaker counties' like Kildare to roll over.

Stick to the day job. Selling Big Issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

jj72 wrote: »
    This 30k + attendance is the biggest load of rubbish. Surely it boils down to what they charge in on a given day and not how many attend the game???
    And I cant believe anyone thinks this is not a pay day for Croker. Charging everyone 25 euro in croker as opposed to 15 euro in Newbridge or Enniskillen is easy easy money for the GAA.

Obviously it's a much bigger operation to open CP than a small provincial ground. I dont have the exact figures but the nett difference would be marginal at the end of the day imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Obviously it's a much bigger operation to open CP than a small provincial ground. I dont have the exact figures but the nett difference would be marginal at the end of the day imo.

So despite telling that poster to stick to facts, it turns out you have none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Is it though, i was told by someone who works in Croker, not sure of the exact figure but 30k is in my mind. Whats your take on it then?

I could be wrong but i thought that was only the case if they opened all the stadium. If they leave top tier closed, it’s a lot less I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The whole thing has nothing to do with Mayo, other than serve as a distraction if they let it.

Looks like Kildare are going to go to CP anyway. While they have been done over, they really have no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,661 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Deffo not enough room, you'll get that many Dubs when want tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I could be wrong but i thought that was only the case if they opened all the stadium. If they leave top tier closed, it’s a lot less I believe.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/10-myths-mishaps-and-misconceptions-450392.html

Croke Park crowd

Many had been led to believe that the GAA required a crowd of 30,000 in Croke Park to financially break even on the day but this school of thought was rubbished by the association’s stadium and commercial director Peter McKenna in Michael Moynihan’s GAAconomics.

“That’s an urban myth. It costs between €40,000 and €120,000 to open the stadium and we often open it at a loss. The break-even figure? For the smallest crowd, it would be €30,000 so 10,000 people paying €3 each, or 5,000 paying €6 each would do it.”

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

seligehgit wrote: »
    I doubt it.

Link??

Nevermind, I believed a fake Whatsapp screenshot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

largepants wrote: »
    Stick to the day job. Selling Big Issues.

Should I go to Newbridge or Croke Park?
    I am worried about the health and safety dangers to me in Newbridge ;)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/10-myths-mishaps-and-misconceptions-450392.html

Croke Park crowd

Many had been led to believe that the GAA required a crowd of 30,000 in Croke Park to financially break even on the day but this school of thought was rubbished by the association’s stadium and commercial director Peter McKenna in Michael Moynihan’s GAAconomics.

“That’s an urban myth. It costs between €40,000 and €120,000 to open the stadium and we often open it at a loss. The break-even figure? For the smallest crowd, it would be €30,000 so 10,000 people paying €3 each, or 5,000 paying €6 each would do it.”

Great book it is too real eye opener.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

So despite telling that poster to stick to facts, it turns out you have none.

Another one of his "facts" that Castlebar holds 31,000 aint correct either. 28,000 is the correct number

Bonniedog wrote: »
    The whole thing has nothing to do with Mayo, other than serve as a distraction if they let it.

Looks like Kildare are going to go to CP anyway. While they have been done over, they really have no choice.

No they won't.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

I actually think it's in Mayo's best interest to back up Kildare on this. Not just because it's the right thing to do but as noted, this could be Mayo in the super 8's or some time down the line, also by backing Kildare you take away their sense of injustice.

Should I go to Newbridge or Croke Park?
    I am worried about the health and safety dangers to me in Newbridge ;)

You live in Dublin so you're used to it.

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    I actually think it's in Mayo's best interest to back up Kildare on this. Not just because it's the right thing to do but as noted, this could be Mayo in the super 8's or some time down the line, also by backing Kildare you take away their sense of injustice.

Don't agree with this. reason being, say Kildare stick to their guns and Mayo get the walkover. All that will happen is that the CCCC will change their rules at the end of the year so this cant happen again. In fact no matter what Kildare do now, I believe the rules will probably be changed. So Mayo should stay well clear, keep training and go where the game is fixed for

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

31,000 i believe so there would be no issues

That probably wouldn't be big enough . You could get 40-50,000 for a Quarter final match between Mayo and Dublin in Croke Park.

Anyway capacity shouldn't matter. Circa 9,000 fans can fit SAFELY in Newbridge. Thats enough for both counties season tickets with some tickets left over.

Kildare have home advantage and they should keep it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭golfball37

I just hope no matter what happens Kildare don’t back down from this. All the criteria has been met that they are entitled to a home fixture. Armagh and Leitrim are playing at home this weekend. Cavans home ground wasn’t available.
    It’s Kildare’s choice to make and they have made it. As an ordinary gaa member I hope they stick to their guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Thats enough for both counties season tickets with some tickets left over.

Stop about the season ticket holders if they play in Newbridge!

“In the event that the number of season ticket holders exceeds stadium capacity the GAA offers no guarantee of the availability of seats or entry to that fixture”

Join the queue - no privileges here

• Advertisement

IRE60 wrote: »
    Stop about the season ticket holders if they play in Newbridge!

“In the event that the number of season ticket holders exceeds stadium capacity the GAA offers no guarantee of the availability of seats or entry to that fixture”

Join the queue - no privileges here

But they don't exceed the capacity sooo....the season ticket holders will have privileges

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭FuzzyFrog

Don't agree with this. reason being, say Kildare stick to their guns and Mayo get the walkover. All that will happen is that the CCCC will change their rules at the end of the year so this cant happen again. In fact no matter what Kildare do now, I believe the rules will probably be changed. So Mayo should stay well clear, keep training and go where the game is fixed for

Yeah I see the rule change as a logical next step for the GAA but that doesn't mean there is nothing to be gained by a show of solidarity from Mayo. If 2 counties as sizeable as Kildare/Mayo were to stand together against the GAA it sends a serious message that the counties can have a say in the direction the organisation is taken and that the GAA can't just throw aside the principals of what the org is supposed to stand for. It would have massive significance even if the rules were changed as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Lol ok so :rolleyes:

Don’t know why you’re being so sensitive about this. Mayo are in a situation where they will be effectively taking a side whatever they do. It happens sometimes. You wishing that wasn’t the case isn’t going to change that fact

It could be just in a few weeks when Mayo are put in a similar position! That's of course if they don't get knocked out by an angered Kildare who think Mayo hung them out to dry (that's the line Kildare management will be pushing).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Is it though, i was told by someone who works in Croker, not sure of the exact figure but 30k is in my mind. Whats your take on it then?

Blimey- must be true. I can’t imagine how it would cost a million more to open Croke Park than any other ground. Do the gaa own the bars and food outlets in Crocker as well? I’d imagine they’d make a nice profit with a crowd of 30,000

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

It could be just in a few weeks when Mayo are put in a similar position! That's of course if they don't get knocked out by an angered Kildare who think Mayo hung them out to dry (that's the line Kildare management will be pushing).

How do you make that out?

Mayo will turn up for wherever the match is fixed for. None of this is of their making. Most Mayo posters I've seen here and on other forums support Kildare but they are not going to cut off their nose to spite their face by getting themselves booted out of the championship!

Kildare have been rightly fked over, there is no doubt about that, but anything from this afternoon on will be only a gesture, and forgotten about pretty quickly.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    How do you make that out?

Mayo will turn up for wherever the match is fixed for. None of this is of their making. Most Mayo posters I've seen here and on other forums support Kildare but they are not going to cut off their nose to spite their face by getting themselves booted out of the championship!

Kildare have been rightly fked over, there is no doubt about that, but anything from this afternoon on will be only a gesture, and forgotten about pretty quickly.

I'm saying that that's what Kildare management will say. Mayo were implicit in getting us moved from our home ground, them and the GAA think we're a soft touch, let's go out and batter them.

It might not work but I'd be very wary of a wounded animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Kildare will fall in line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Wonder what the 'Croke Park Residents' think/ wish for? Or are their views completely irrelevant?

• Advertisement

I'm saying that that's what Kildare management will say. Mayo were implicit in getting us moved from our home ground, them and the GAA think we're a soft touch, let's go out and batter them.

It might not work but I'd be very wary of a wounded animal.

Jaysis that's pushing it a bit, How are Mayo implicit in all of this?? If that's what it takes to get motivated against the second best team in the country for the best part of the last decade then its a poor state of affairs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement